ADVERTISEMENT

Raoul...a neat weather experience today

GK4Herd

Aug 5, 2001
I spent the day in Death Valley National Park in California. While I was in Badwater Basin...the lowest point In America at 282 feet below sea level...the temperature hit 124. I have never experienced anything like it. It was like walking in a sauna. I’ve heard the old “dry heat” mantra but I don’t care how low the humidity was...hot is hot. To put it in perspective, the hottest temperature ever recorded was also in Death Valley in 1913 at 134. Ten degrees from the hottest temperature in recorded history...a very neat experience.

I spent the day in Death Valley National Park in California. While I was in Badwater Basin...the lowest point In America at 282 feet below sea level...the temperature hit 124. I have never experienced anything like it. It was like walking in a sauna. I’ve heard the old “dry heat” mantra but I don’t care how low the humidity was...hot is hot. To put it in perspective, the hottest temperature ever recorded was also in Death Valley in 1913 at 134. Ten degrees from the hottest temperature in recorded history...a very neat experience.
Might be a dry heat. But, as the saying goes, stick you your head in an oven. That's a dry heat.

Went to Vegas once and got on a city trolley. Full of blue hairs, their husbands, and migrant workers. It was 101 that day and might have beat that Death Valley record. Plus, the smell was not fun and I was trapped on the inside aisle. I think it was 170 on that bus and the smell was unbearable.

Might be a dry heat. But, as the saying goes, stick you your head in an oven. That's a dry heat.

Went to Vegas once and got on a city trolley. Full of blue hairs, their husbands, and migrant workers. It was 101 that day and might have beat that Death Valley record. Plus, the smell was not fun and I was trapped on the inside aisle. I think it was 170 on that bus and the smell was unbearable.

I have a rent a car for the week so anywhere outside of walking distance I drive. I'm staying at Treasure Island so I'm walking distance from the Mirage, Venetian, Caesars Palace, Bally's, and the Palazzo. I'm not fighting public transit in this heat. No way.

Reactions: i am herdman
By the way...any of you guys been up to the top of the Stratosphere? I did Insanity and the X-Scream with my daughters. That's some crazy stuff that high up...

Reactions: i am herdman
And another thing...from google...

IMG_1218_zpsves6j3pp.png

stratosphere has cool rides up top, but that's a low rent area of the strip.

And another thing...from google...

IMG_1218_zpsves6j3pp.png

Yes, those are proper names of the companies. Under each, you can see the description of their business - they all say "car rental."

I'm just doing my part to help West Virginians stop saying "sit" instead of "set" (and now "rental car" instead of "rent-a-car").

Reactions: GK4Herd
stratosphere has cool rides up top, but that's a low rent area of the strip.

That area is a sh**hole. The parking garage
was filthy and elevator was way more dangerous than being dangled over the edge of the tower.

Reactions: 19MU88
GK I missed out today. I figured the storms today would fire at 5PM and I would have a nice local chase. Instead the cap broke earlier and they fired at 2PM. I missed an easy tornado just west of me, it isn't too often you can burn less than a quarter tank and get a TOR. Sucked to be at work, look at the cell forming on radar, and know that one would produce too. I would have been on that one. Oh well, no steak dinner tonight.

GK I missed out today. I figured the storms today would fire at 5PM and I would have a nice local chase. Instead the cap broke earlier and they fired at 2PM. I missed an easy tornado just west of me, it isn't too often you can burn less than a quarter tank and get a TOR. Sucked to be at work, look at the cell forming on radar, and know that one would produce too. I would have been on that one. Oh well, no steak dinner tonight.

I was in Edinburgh when a F3 hit, I think it was 2007, give or take a year. It's the only tornado I've ever seen and it was about 2 blocks away from me, I felt like I could reach out and touch it. I barely even felt any wind, nothing more than a normal thunderstorm. It destroyed everything around me, a car was jammed into the 2nd story of a building one street away, you could only see the trunk sticking out, plus all the normal devastation and flooding.

I've always wondered if you chased that particular one, or were in the area.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
I was in Edinburgh when a F3 hit, I think it was 2007, give or take a year. It's the only tornado I've ever seen and it was about 2 blocks away from me, I felt like I could reach out and touch it. I barely even felt any wind, nothing more than a normal thunderstorm. It destroyed everything around me, a car was jammed into the 2nd story of a building one street away, you could only see the trunk sticking out, plus all the normal devastation and flooding.

I've always wondered if you chased that particular one, or were in the area.

That was June 3, 2008. I was still living in WV and was not chasing that day.

I'm in the Louisville metro area. I spot for NWS in Louisville. I chase IN, western and central KY, and southern IL mainly. I have been out on the Plains a few times.

That was June 3, 2008. I was still living in WV and was not chasing that day.

I'm in the Louisville metro area. I spot for NWS in Louisville. I chase IN, western and central KY, and southern IL mainly. I have been out on the Plains a few times.

Thanks. Been there so many times the dates all run together. It was an experience I'll never forget.

How close have you been? Purposely or otherwise?

I know very little about storm chasing, but I think you need Helen Hunt with you on some of these.

Thanks. Been there so many times the dates all run together. It was an experience I'll never forget.

How close have you been? Purposely or otherwise?

I've been hit, I was in a building taking shelter for that. It was a weak one, though. But I could still sense the wind twist, it hit from one side and bam then the other side. Blew dust under the basement door and then sucked it back out.

On purpose, I've been a hundred yards away from the outer circulation of a EF3. I did that once, I thought I would poke the bear and see if it poked back. And I only did that because it was only throwing dirt and light vegetation and I had a direct route away, which I promptly took at full throttle. Now that I understand sub-vortices and satellites I sure as hell will never do that again, that was beyond stupid. And I would NOT try that around here, where there's a very good chance of getting smacked by a full-grown tree at 150 MPH.

These days I am a lot more interested in the total structure of a Plains storm, which of course you cannot see that close. I think that is where the beauty of the storm is. Around here it I'd go close enough to confirm it is on the ground and that's good enough for me and the NWS.

A couple weeks ago I was in Vegas when it was 116 degrees, and it wasn't too bad. Of course I was drunk, laying in the shallow water of the Cosmopolitan pool. I love the weather in the west with the low humidity. Last week I was in Denver and it was in the high 90s the entire time and it was comfortable.

Next month I'm going out to NV, AZ, UT and CA for some running and sight-seeing. Running rim-to-rim across the grand canyon (should be in the 110s at the canyon floor), then up to Zion and then to Cali to see some friends and run a trail race in Malibu. I'd move to Utah, Colorado or Arizona immediately if I could.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Zion is absolutely beautiful. I wanted to hit Bryce Canyon but the day got too long. From Zion it's about 90 miles. I like the low humidity too. But 124 is hot without it.

A couple weeks ago I was in Vegas when it was 116 degrees, and it wasn't too bad. Of course I was drunk, laying in the shallow water of the Cosmopolitan pool. I love the weather in the west with the low humidity. Last week I was in Denver and it was in the high 90s the entire time and it was comfortable.

Next month I'm going out to NV, AZ, UT and CA for some running and sight-seeing. Running rim-to-rim across the grand canyon (should be in the 110s at the canyon floor), then up to Zion and then to Cali to see some friends and run a trail race in Malibu. I'd move to Utah, Colorado or Arizona immediately if I could.

I've spent time in all these areas, they're all in my retirement plan move. I can do Vegas heat, I'm comfortable with it. I've been in northern NV, it's typical hot/cold desert weather but quality girlfriends are hard to find, and used up if you do. Utah is my go to. Been there many times. Every time I land at SLC the place has expanded. You really can't tell the difference when it comes to SLC, Provo, Levi...it's all one and the same now days, but still beautiful. LDS chicks stay in shape, though. Must be part of the religion - Mormon Stores and Tight Ass Whores.

Reactions: murox
Zion is absolutely beautiful. I wanted to hit Bryce Canyon but the day got too long. From Zion it's about 90 miles. I like the low humidity too. But 124 is hot without it.

What did you do in Zion? Any suggestions or things to avoid?

What did you do in Zion? Any suggestions or things to avoid?

A lot depends on what kind of time you have. We based in Las Vegas and only spent a day. It’s about a 2 1/2 hour drive. The drive goes through the Majave Desert and the changing landscape makes for a scenic trip, especially when it becomes more mountainous. The first thing we did was take the Zion-Mt. Carmel Highway through the park. For most of the year that’s the only road you are allowed to drive. The drive itself is an experience with many pull offs with observation points...some close to road others you have to hike.

Just east of the tunnel on the road is Canyon Overlook Trail . It’s an easy to moderate trail that’s a half mile out to the overlook. It isn’t that challenging but there are several unprotected ledges that would result in 1000 foot drops. Look at these pictures...

https://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/canyonoverlookpix.cfm

The drive was around 15 miles entering on the west side (the side you hit from Vegas) and exits out of the park on the east side. At this point you are around 90 miles from Bryce Canyon. We turned around and retraced the highway back to Springdale. The canyon part of Zion you can’t drive most of the year. There is a shuttle that you take at the parks entrance. The shuttles run every four or five minutes. The main parking fills up in a hurry so the best bet is to park in Springdale. There is a free shuttle service that will take you to the park entrance where you can take the park shuttle.

There are nine stops on the shuttle run through the canyon. Each stop offers a different set of trails. There are some very challenging trails and you’d need to spend several days to get all of them in. There’s lodging in Springdale and the park has a lodge as well.

The two must do trails if you are looking for a challenge is Angels Landing and Zion Narrows.

Here’s Angels Landing info...

https://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/angelslanding.cfm

Here is Zion Narrows...

https://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/zionnarrows.cfm

I hiked the easier Riverwalk which takes you to the foot of Zion Narrows. If I had more time and wasn’t with my wife I’d have tackled Zion Narrows.

Here is the park guide to help you with your own planning...

https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/upload/Zion-Summer-Map-and-Guide-2018-WEB.pdf

Reactions: murox
Are you competing in the Badwater 135? ;)

A lot depends on what kind of time you have. We based in Las Vegas and only spent a day. It’s about a 2 1/2 hour drive. The drive goes through the Majave Desert and the changing landscape makes for a scenic trip, especially when it becomes more mountainous. The first thing we did was take the Zion-Mt. Carmel Highway through the park. For most of the year that’s the only road you are allowed to drive. The drive itself is an experience with many pull offs with observation points...some close to road others you have to hike.

Just east of the tunnel on the road is Canyon Overlook Trail . It’s an easy to moderate trail that’s a half mile out to the overlook. It isn’t that challenging but there are several unprotected ledges that would result in 1000 foot drops. Look at these pictures...

https://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/canyonoverlookpix.cfm

The drive was around 15 miles entering on the west side (the side you hit from Vegas) and exits out of the park on the east side. At this point you are around 90 miles from Bryce Canyon. We turned around and retraced the highway back to Springdale. The canyon part of Zion you can’t drive most of the year. There is a shuttle that you take at the parks entrance. The shuttles run every four or five minutes. The main parking fills up in a hurry so the best bet is to park in Springdale. There is a free shuttle service that will take you to the park entrance where you can take the park shuttle.

There are nine stops on the shuttle run through the canyon. Each stop offers a different set of trails. There are some very challenging trails and you’d need to spend several days to get all of them in. There’s lodging in Springdale and the park has a lodge as well.

The two must do trails if you are looking for a challenge is Angels Landing and Zion Narrows.

Here’s Angels Landing info...

https://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/angelslanding.cfm

Here is Zion Narrows...

https://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/zionnarrows.cfm

I hiked the easier Riverwalk which takes you to the foot of Zion Narrows. If I had more time and wasn’t with my wife I’d have tackled Zion Narrows.

Here is the park guide to help you with your own planning...

https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/upload/Zion-Summer-Map-and-Guide-2018-WEB.pdf

Thanks, GK! Good information there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT