ADVERTISEMENT

rented a Tesla

imherdfan

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 13, 2006
I had to try one out so on my last business trip, I rented a Tesla. My biggest beef with it is the range. I drove around an area Ive been to many many times and have a good idea of how much gas I use when im there which is typically 10-15 bucks to fill it back up when im finished. I probably drove a total of about 100-120 miles. I used about 75-80% of the battery life. The dash board looks so strange, there is nothing but a computer monitor in the middle of it. There are no buttons, no switches, no gauges, nothing on the dash. Theres no key fob with a lock/unlock button, a card serves as your "key". Made it tough having a rental and forgetting exactly where I parked LOL

On a positive note, they will accelerate like a bat out of hell!!! It will pin your ass to the seat back. The regenerative braking was weird to get used to but I was liking it after I got used to it.

Bottom line, I won't be buying one anytime soon.

I had to try one out so on my last business trip, I rented a Tesla. My biggest beef with it is the range. I drove around an area Ive been to many many times and have a good idea of how much gas I use when im there which is typically 10-15 bucks to fill it back up when im finished. I probably drove a total of about 100-120 miles. I used about 75-80% of the battery life. The dash board looks so strange, there is nothing but a computer monitor in the middle of it. There are no buttons, no switches, no gauges, nothing on the dash. Theres no key fob with a lock/unlock button, a card serves as your "key". Made it tough having a rental and forgetting exactly where I parked LOL

On a positive note, they will accelerate like a bat out of hell!!! It will pin your ass to the seat back. The regenerative braking was weird to get used to but I was liking it after I got used to it.

Bottom line, I won't be buying one anytime soon.

I had the same thoughts. Felt like a golf cart rocket ship. I got used to the braking pretty quickly. I liked some features.

For a car that expensive, I felt like theinterior felt kind of cheap too.

If I was single and had a short commute I'd consider a model 3. But for my family we looked at the Y and ended up not getting it.

I had the same thoughts. Felt like a golf cart rocket ship. I got used to the braking pretty quickly. I liked some features.

This is how most feel about them I think. They kind of cheaped out on the interior compared to similarly priced cars.

I don’t like the all-glass dials either. I mean don’t get me wrong if someone handed me one I would drive it but I would never pay nearly that much for what you get in a Tesla.

To be fair I wouldn’t pay what any car over about $30k cost for anything because I don’t care about my car past it’s ability to reliably get me from A to B

They are definitely too weird in design to appeal beyond people who want to look into tech. Most people just want a car to look and feel like....a car.

And that has nothing to do with being an EV. There's been plenty of ICE cars that had weird interiors and shit and were flops. Subaru had had to learn that lesson a couple times.

If I was single and had a short commute I'd consider a model 3. But for my family we looked at the Y and ended up not getting it.
I agree, very pedestrian! Golf cart rocket ship is a good description! I had a Y model. I popped the hood(you do that by computer) thinking there would be an electric motor of some sort in there, its just another trunk, but theres a heavy duty "eyehook" which i assume is for towing purposes. I also noticed that it appears the entire bottom of the car is sealed, I guess it must have to be waterproof.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
Of course the battery and motors have to be, but I didn’t expect to see a sleek undercarriage like that. It reminded me of one of those aqua cars or whatever they were called. I was mistaken, it’s not entirely sealed but is mostly covered front to back, but it has that sleek appearance for aerodynamics. This is a model 3 but the Y was very similar.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT