ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday Night's Main Event

Nope. Didn't say anything of the sort. Blame it on your west virginian education.

You implied it. And you also said something about Saturday nights and West Virginia...well, in my case (as I posted) it was Saturday noon and a totally different part of the country. So much for your New York education.

Uhh, yeah. That would make them bright enough to realize the financial potential of it. And your comment about selling out MSG holds no water, as I never claimed that a city of 7+ million people doesn't have 20,000 hillbillies scattered throughout it.

Uh, not really. Those southern boys in the NWA gave Hogan his break. Those southern boys were the first to put on a national television show. McMahon just got lucky enough to be able to land the biggest star right when the business boomed.

Are you claiming those wops and micks in New York City were hillbillies? McMahon's dad gave Terry Bollea the name Hogan, to appeal to the Irish fans. He wanted him to die his hair red lol. The longest reigning champ in the New York territory? Bruno Sammartino, an actual born-in-Italy Italian (also an interesting man, his mother hid the family in a cave during WWII; at one time he held the world record in the bench press). These things are not coincidences.

Funny thing about racism and wrasslin'....the first black champion was in Mid South Wrestling, part of the NWA...Junkyard Dog. The McMahons were infamous for never having black champions.

You implied it. And you also said something about Saturday nights and West Virginia...well, in my case (as I posted) it was Saturday noon and a totally different part of the country. So much for your New York education.

Uh, not really. Those southern boys in the NWA gave Hogan his break. Those southern boys were the first to put on a national television show. McMahon just got lucky enough to be able to land the biggest star right when the business boomed.

Are you claiming those wops and micks in New York City were hillbillies? McMahon's dad gave Terry Bollea the name Hogan, to appeal to the Irish fans. He wanted him to die his hair red lol. The longest reigning champ in the New York territory? Bruno Sammartino, an actual born-in-Italy Italian (also an interesting man, his mother hid the family in a cave during WWII; at one time he held the world record in the bench press). These things are not coincidences.

Funny thing about racism and wrasslin'....the first black champion was in Mid South Wrestling, part of the NWA...Junkyard Dog. The McMahons were infamous for never having black champions.
The Junkyard Dog was awesome. Remember Tony Atlas? Dude was a freak of nature. Here is at 60 plus years old
H9AlGh2M.jpg

You implied it.

I didn’t even remotely imply that anyone who watches wrestling is an inbred. I was clearly referencing west virginians as the inbreds, hence the reason I said the stereotypes that the rest of the country gives you.

You’d definitely fail the reading comprehension portion.

And you also said something about Saturday nights and West Virginia...well, in my case (as I posted) it was Saturday noon and a totally different part of the country. So much for your New York education.

Yes, I said Saturday night. I also, in that same statement, referenced “families.” Why? Because herdman mentioned watching wrestling each Saturday night with his family. Reading comprehension should give you the huge hint that was what I was referencing.

Yet another example of that west virginian education that you are showing off.

Any more attempts you’d like to fail at?

McMahon just got lucky enough to be able to land the biggest star right when the business boomed.

Oh, so the huge success the WWF had was due to luck? Come on. Hogan had a big part of the initial mainstream success, but it wasn’t luck that McMahon was able to identify it and secure it.

So McMahon had the business sense to try and grow the interest in his product outside of the rednecks and hillbillies? Well, no shit. It’s no different than MLB and NHL spending a ton to create programs in inner cities trying to grow their base or the NFL playing games in England repeatedly trying to grow their base.

I also, in that same statement, referenced “families.”

Funny, in this thread I mentioned that my grandmother watched wrasslin' with me. Do you want to talk some more about reading comprehension? You are slipping, my friend.

So McMahon had the business sense to try and grow the interest in his product outside of the rednecks and hillbillies?

What? "Professional wrestling" became big around 1920. The McMahon family got into it in the way back then. They were always the NY territory. Wops and micks. The rest of the country had wrasslin' as well, hence the territories. The current McMahon, Vincent K., got Hogan, made more money, and began buying territories that already existed because wrestling was popular everywhere. Has it had its ups and downs in popularity, like every other leisure interest? Sure. But to say Vince grew its popularity outside of rednecks and hillbillies is historically inaccurate to the point it is preposterous.

Andre the Giant began wrestling in Paris. France, not Kentucky. Is Paris rednecks and hillbillies?

You are really way out of your knowledge base on this topic. And yeah a lot of it is you ribbing us. But don't make unknowledgeable comments and then call us idiots.

Bruno Sammartino, one of the all-time greats in the industry. Those WWWF shows in Madison Square Garden that he was part of the main event, sold out 188 straight times!!!!!

This pretty much sums it up best re: Bruno's incredible story during World War II:

"During Sammartino’s youth in Pizzoferrato, Italy, his small village was seized by Adolf Hitler’s Nazi forces, causing Bruno’s mother to flee with her seven children to a mountain called Valla Rocca in order to stay alive. At the time, Sammartino’s father had already immigrated to America, so his mother was forced to protect her children by herself. During this difficult period, four of Bruno’s siblings died as the family spent weeks eating almost nothing but the snow on the ground. Once, Sammartino and his family were even lined up in front of a Nazi firing squad, seconds from death before they were rescued at the last moment.

Miraculously, Bruno survived Hitler’s reign of terror and a near-fatal case of Scarlet fever before arriving in the United States in 1950 — an unspeakably traumatic childhood which no doubt filled him with the drive to succeed in America."

The longest reigning champ in the New York territory? Bruno Sammartino, an actual born-in-Italy Italian (also an interesting man, his mother hid the family in a cave during WWII; at one time he held the world record in the bench press).

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
Funny, in this thread I mentioned that my grandmother watched wrasslin' with me. Do you want to talk some more about reading comprehension? You are slipping, my friend.

It's bad enough for you to continue to be wrong. It's entirely different for you to try accusing me of the one being wrong or "slipping." Let's review:

1) Herdman discussed watching Saturday night wrestling with his family
2) Dreh discussed watching Saturday night wrestling
3) I made a comment referencing families in West Virginia gathering around the television on Saturday nights to watch wrestling, clearly referencing the comment Herman, and to a lesser extent, Dreh, made.
4) You then claimed I was the one who had reading comprehension issues because you mentioned watching Saturday noon (not night) viewing.
5) I mocked that by telling you that my comment was clearly in response to Herdman's comment since he referenced watching Saturday night wrestling wit his family.
6) You know came back saying you referenced watching Saturday noon viewing with your grandmother, which leaves any normal person asking "What the fvck does that have to do with anything?" My comment wasn't that west virginians only watch wrestling as a family on Saturday nights. It was a comment mocking them for gathering around the television on Saturday nights to watch wrestling as a family - that doesn't eliminate some west virginians watching wrestling during other times. Yet you continue to have the audacity to say I am the one in the wrong on this.

What? "Professional wrestling" became big around 1920. The McMahon family got into it in the way back then. They were always the NY territory. Wops and micks. The rest of the country had wrasslin' as well, hence the territories. The current McMahon, Vincent K., got Hogan, made more money, and began buying territories that already existed because wrestling was popular everywhere. Has it had its ups and downs in popularity, like every other leisure interest? Sure. But to say Vince grew its popularity outside of rednecks and hillbillies is historically inaccurate to the point it is preposterous.

Vince took it from a small, niche event popular with hillbillies and rednecks and made it mainstream where it was popular with more demographics but still dominated by hillbillies and rednecks. There are hillbillies and rednecks everywhere. In a city with 7 million people, there are far more than 20,000 rednecks. As a child, I went to one of the WWF shows. I don't remember a lot of it, but when I was older, I recall my parents reminiscing and laughing about the audience - they came out from the hills for it.

Arguing that McMahon didn't grow its popularity outside of rednecks and hillbillies is simply absurd. That's the whole point of it going mainstream. It was a niche event strongly supported by rednecks and hillbillies. McMahon took it to a level where it was more widely accepted in the mainstream instead of just the lowest class of people.

3) I made a comment referencing families in West Virginia gathering around the television on Saturday nights to watch wrestling, clearly referencing the comment Herman, and to a lesser extent, Dreh, made.
4) You then claimed I was the one who had reading comprehension issues because you mentioned watching Saturday noon (not night) viewing.

I am claiming you have issues if you think this was some growing up in the 80s thing purely isolated to redneck hillbillies. You ever think maybe you are the one that had a weird childhood, and the rest of us were normal?

Vince took it from a small, niche event popular with hillbillies and rednecks and made it mainstream where it was popular with more demographics but still dominated by hillbillies and rednecks.

I am not going to claim the fans overlapped with the patrons of the Metropolitan Opera, but I am telling you wrestling was a lot more mainstream than you realize, long before Vince.

As a child, I went to one of the WWF shows. I don't remember a lot of it, but when I was older, I recall my parents reminiscing and laughing about the audience - they came out from the hills for it.

One minute you grew up in un-redneck NY, now it's like half redneck. Make up your mind. And the fact your parents were laughing at the audience, probably hard-working, middle class folks, tells me I might be correct about your childhood.

Arguing that McMahon didn't grow its popularity outside of rednecks and hillbillies is simply absurd. That's the whole point of it going mainstream. It was a niche event strongly supported by rednecks and hillbillies. McMahon took it to a level where it was more widely accepted in the mainstream instead of just the lowest class of people

I am just going to flat out ask you: do you consider urban NYC wops and micks to be rednecks? I expect an answer (mainly because I feel you upstaters think you are better than the urban wops and micks). Were the Japs (HUGE wrestling fans) a bunch of hillbillies? It's been huge in Japan since the 1950s. Maybe the Mexicans are rednecks (this is actually arguable). My argument is you are wrong that wrestling was only popular with hillbillies and rednecks. You are confusing "mainstream" as a numbers game with "mainstream" as in demographics. I've never said Vince didn't grow the industry in numbers,again I arguing he was able to do so because he had the capital to hire Hogan right when he was blowing up.

Don't be like EG. You are better than that.

I am claiming you have issues if you think this was some growing up in the 80s thing purely isolated to redneck hillbillies. You ever think maybe you are the one that had a weird childhood, and the rest of us were normal?

The overwhelming percentage of adults who follow(ed) it are rednecks/hillbillies. That was consistent in the '80s as well as today. Kids from all backgrounds watched it . . . but again, kids.

I watched it as a kid. I went to one of their big events. I used to order Wrestlemania and friends would have sleepovers and have their parents order it. But again, kids . . . 7-11 year olds. Once we realized girls had tits and it felt good to get your pecker rubbed, we quickly grew out of WWF in order to give us the best shot at getting girls. For rednecks and hillbillies, they never grew out of it or increased their intelligence to a level where it was no longer entertaining.

I am not going to claim the fans overlapped with the patrons of the Metropolitan Opera, but I am telling you wrestling was a lot more mainstream than you realize, long before Vince.

Ha. Keeper is now in this thread saying wrestlers couldn't make any real money. If something is mainstream, it's popular enough where the "stars" can make real money. But it gets better. This is a quote from McMahon:

"In the old days, there were wrestling fiefdoms all over the country, each with its own little lord in charge. Each little lord respected the rights of his neighboring little lord. No takeovers or raids were allowed. There were maybe 30 of these tiny kingdoms in the U.S. and if I hadn’t bought out my dad, there would still be 30 of them, fragmented and struggling. I, of course, had no allegiance to those little lords"

. [Sports Illustrated, 1991]

In other words, he was saying that all of these regional companies that you keep mentioning were struggling. And if not for him, they would still be struggling.

Name any other industry that is mainstream (which is your argument) where there are no other competitors in your entire state and possibly neighboring states, yet they are struggling and the stars don't make real money. You can't, because if it was truly mainstream, they wouldn't be struggling as McMahon said and would be able to make real money (as Keep said they couldn't).

One minute you grew up in un-redneck NY, now it's like half redneck. Make up your mind. And the fact your parents were laughing at the audience, probably hard-working, middle class folks, tells me I might be correct about your childhood.

I've already said that there are rednecks everywhere. Maybe you should go back and read this thread slower. What I contested was BC's claim that it was some rural, farmland area.

I also said that as children we watched it. Children watching it doesn't equate to rednecks. Grown adults watching it? Yeah, that wreaks of redneckish. And yes, if I brought it up to my parents tomorrow, they would laugh and talk about how it was scary to see some of these adults - how they acted, what they looked like, how serious they took wrestling to the point that they wanted to fight some of the wrestlers from the crowd, etc.

Are you ignorant to the common jokes people make about adult wrestling fans? My parents weren't the only ones who have commented on it. It's a topic that many non-redneck adults laugh at when discussing. They saw it first-hand . . . thousands of people they had never seen before (not individually, but rather, an entire demographic that was absent the rest of the year) in the area who came out of the woods for a WWE event.

I am just going to flat out ask you: do you consider urban NYC wops and micks to be rednecks? I expect an answer (mainly because I feel you upstaters think you are better than the urban wops and micks).

I've never once heard that belief referenced. Upstaters think they are better than NYC Italians and Irish? This is 2019, not 1910. It's not even a belief or stereotype I have ever heard outside of how immigrants were viewed 100 years ago by everyone - most definitely not upstaters thinking they are superior to anybody. In fact, if anything, it is the complete opposite. NYC residents resent having to support poor upstaters with their tax dollars.

My argument is you are wrong that wrestling was only popular with hillbillies and rednecks. You are confusing "mainstream" as a numbers game with "mainstream" as in demographics.

I've never said Vince didn't grow the industry in numbers,again I arguing he was able to do so because he had the capital to hire Hogan right when he was blowing up.

Of course every single fan, all 100% of them, weren't hillbillies or rednecks. But that demographic made up the biggest portion of fans by far. What percentage of legit WWE fans in 1990 had a four year degree? Same question with a Master's/advanced. You think those percentages were higher than the actual U.S. population? Not even close.

And Vince absolutely did greatly expand the demographics, not just the simple numbers. The money he made from it was put back into the business allowing for far better entertainment - better arenas throughout the country, better action, better stars, etc. Doing those things absolutely expands the demographics to a higher level.

Think of chicken fighting . . .if all of the matches are held in rundown barns in Wayne with a bunch of local chickens and a crowd of tobacco-spitting drunks who are trying to fight everyone, the demographics are going to be very slim.

But if you take chickens that are bred their entire lives to fight, have the fights in small arenas in bigger cities, have security there, and have a legit gambling operation, you're suddenly going to get interest from a much wider demographic.

That's what McMahon did. He took wrestling out of these small venues in small cities with awful television, awful actors, awful budgets, etc. and put better actors in big arenas with huge budgets and national television. He greatly widened the demographic of the fan base. Instead of poor rednecks, he was getting rednecks with disposable incomes who lived in bigger areas.

Think of going to the local drag racing track on Saturday night in Russellville, Arkansas. Think of what type of crowd will be there. Then, think of the crowd at any major Nascar race ten years ago. You're still getting an overwhelming percentage of rednecks, but the latter event will bring an entirely new demographic on board that had no interest/desire/ability to go to a drag race in Russellville, Arkansas. That's what McMahon did.

He jumped that hurdle 6 months ago.

Oh, Tier Three! You never disappoint.

First, the phrase is "cleared that hurdle," not "jumped that hurdle." And your attempt made no sense.

Raoul said "don't be like EG." The phrase "cleared that hurdle" (like what you intended) means something was done successfully. So if you're saying that I was successful in quoting what you did of Raoul's, it would mean that I was successful (cleared that hurdle) in not being like EG.

For a number of years, I saw great improvement on this board in terms of reading comprehension, the ability to form a logical argument, the ability to refute and logically argue against competing points, and grammar. Over the last few years, that has all gone to hell, and I don't see that trend stopping anytime soon.

Tier Three's post is a good example of some of that.

Think of chicken fighting . . .if all of the matches are held in rundown barns in Wayne with a bunch of local chickens and a crowd of tobacco-spitting drunks who are trying to fight everyone, the demographics are going to be very slim.

^^^That's offensive. We have some nice barns here, wifflearm.

That’s why wrestling’s biggest markets and most passionate fan bases are (by far) NYC, Philadelphia, and Chicago. All redneck towns.

Let me dumb this down for Murox the Moron's lackey and the three who liked this post: the drunk preacher, Tier Three, and Her-man.

NYC MSA: 20.3 million
OKC MSA: 1.3 million

Let's say that only 5% of those in the NYC MSA are rednecks/hillbillies.
Let's say that 70% of those in the OKC MSA are rednecks/hillbillies.

Clearly, OKC is substantially more of a redneck area than NYC. But does that mean it has more rednecks overall, thus making it a bigger redneck market?

Those numbers would mean there are about 100,000 more rednecks in the NYC MSA than the OKC MSA. In other words, capitalizing on the redneck market in NYC is more lucrative and valuable than capitalizing on the redneck market in OKC. So yes, when you have the #1, #3, and #5 largest MSAs in the country, as NYC/Chicago/Philly are, then you are going to have a bigger market than just about anywhere else in the country in just about every single industry. It's basic math and basic common sense.

It goes back to the very basic and common sense point I had to make regarding filling up MSG for many WWF shows - when you have a huge population such as NYC, it isn't hard to find 20,000 rednecks.

Does that mean NYC is a redneck city? Of course not. It simply means that NYC (and the other mega-MSA areas you named) simply have a huge number of everything - not as a percentage of their populations - based on having a huge overall population. Even if a very small percentage (such as 5%) of those populations are rednecks, it still leaves a ton of potential customers to fill seats in an arena.

The overwhelming percentage of adults who follow(ed) it are rednecks/hillbillies. That was consistent in the '80s as well as today. Kids from all backgrounds watched it . . . but again, kids.

I watched it as a kid. I went to one of their big events. I used to order Wrestlemania and friends would have sleepovers and have their parents order it. But again, kids . . . 7-11 year olds. Once we realized girls had tits and it felt good to get your pecker rubbed, we quickly grew out of WWF in order to give us the best shot at getting girls. For rednecks and hillbillies, they never grew out of it or increased their intelligence to a level where it was no longer entertaining.

Ha. Keeper is now in this thread saying wrestlers couldn't make any real money. If something is mainstream, it's popular enough where the "stars" can make real money. But it gets better. This is a quote from McMahon:

"In the old days, there were wrestling fiefdoms all over the country, each with its own little lord in charge. Each little lord respected the rights of his neighboring little lord. No takeovers or raids were allowed. There were maybe 30 of these tiny kingdoms in the U.S. and if I hadn’t bought out my dad, there would still be 30 of them, fragmented and struggling. I, of course, had no allegiance to those little lords"

. [Sports Illustrated, 1991]

In other words, he was saying that all of these regional companies that you keep mentioning were struggling. And if not for him, they would still be struggling.

Name any other industry that is mainstream (which is your argument) where there are no other competitors in your entire state and possibly neighboring states, yet they are struggling and the stars don't make real money. You can't, because if it was truly mainstream, they wouldn't be struggling as McMahon said and would be able to make real money (as Keep said they couldn't).

I've already said that there are rednecks everywhere. Maybe you should go back and read this thread slower. What I contested was BC's claim that it was some rural, farmland area.

I also said that as children we watched it. Children watching it doesn't equate to rednecks. Grown adults watching it? Yeah, that wreaks of redneckish. And yes, if I brought it up to my parents tomorrow, they would laugh and talk about how it was scary to see some of these adults - how they acted, what they looked like, how serious they took wrestling to the point that they wanted to fight some of the wrestlers from the crowd, etc.

Are you ignorant to the common jokes people make about adult wrestling fans? My parents weren't the only ones who have commented on it. It's a topic that many non-redneck adults laugh at when discussing. They saw it first-hand . . . thousands of people they had never seen before (not individually, but rather, an entire demographic that was absent the rest of the year) in the area who came out of the woods for a WWE event.

I've never once heard that belief referenced. Upstaters think they are better than NYC Italians and Irish? This is 2019, not 1910. It's not even a belief or stereotype I have ever heard outside of how immigrants were viewed 100 years ago by everyone - most definitely not upstaters thinking they are superior to anybody. In fact, if anything, it is the complete opposite. NYC residents resent having to support poor upstaters with their tax dollars.

Of course every single fan, all 100% of them, weren't hillbillies or rednecks. But that demographic made up the biggest portion of fans by far. What percentage of legit WWE fans in 1990 had a four year degree? Same question with a Master's/advanced. You think those percentages were higher than the actual U.S. population? Not even close.

And Vince absolutely did greatly expand the demographics, not just the simple numbers. The money he made from it was put back into the business allowing for far better entertainment - better arenas throughout the country, better action, better stars, etc. Doing those things absolutely expands the demographics to a higher level.

But if you take chickens that are bred their entire lives to fight, have the fights in small arenas in bigger cities, have security there, and have a legit gambling operation, you're suddenly going to get interest from a much wider demographic.

That's what McMahon did. He took wrestling out of these small venues in small cities with awful television, awful actors, awful budgets, etc. and put better actors in big arenas with huge budgets and national television. He greatly widened the demographic of the fan base. Instead of poor rednecks, he was getting rednecks with disposable incomes who lived in bigger areas.

Think of going to the local drag racing track on Saturday night in Russellville, Arkansas. Think of what type of crowd will be there. Then, think of the crowd at any major Nascar race ten years ago. You're still getting an overwhelming percentage of rednecks, but the latter event will bring an entirely new demographic on board that had no interest/desire/ability to go to a drag race in Russellville, Arkansas. That's what McMahon did.

TL/DR :D

He’s too easy to bait.

I didn’t even mention all the rednecks in LA, San Francisco, Phoenix, etc. Oh yeah, and let’s not forget about all those international rednecks in Toronto, Montreal, Saudi Arabia, and various parts of Europe. Redneckville.

And we all know about those rednecks in Hartford, Connecticut...where they are tonight.

Let me dumb this down for Murox the Moron's lackey and the three who liked this post: the drunk preacher, Tier Three, and Her-man.

NYC MSA: 20.3 million
OKC MSA: 1.3 million

Let's say that only 5% of those in the NYC MSA are rednecks/hillbillies.
Let's say that 70% of those in the OKC MSA are rednecks/hillbillies.

Clearly, OKC is substantially more of a redneck area than NYC. But does that mean it has more rednecks overall, thus making it a bigger redneck market?

Those numbers would mean there are about 100,000 more rednecks in the NYC MSA than the OKC MSA. In other words, capitalizing on the redneck market in NYC is more lucrative and valuable than capitalizing on the redneck market in OKC. So yes, when you have the #1, #3, and #5 largest MSAs in the country, as NYC/Chicago/Philly are, then you are going to have a bigger market than just about anywhere else in the country in just about every single industry. It's basic math and basic common sense.

It goes back to the very basic and common sense point I had to make regarding filling up MSG for many WWF shows - when you have a huge population such as NYC, it isn't hard to find 20,000 rednecks.

Does that mean NYC is a redneck city? Of course not. It simply means that NYC (and the other mega-MSA areas you named) simply have a huge number of everything - not as a percentage of their populations - based on having a huge overall population. Even if a very small percentage (such as 5%) of those populations are rednecks, it still leaves a ton of potential customers to fill seats in an arena.
hqdefault.jpg

He’s too easy to bait.

I didn’t even mention all the rednecks in LA, San Francisco, Phoenix, etc. Oh yeah, and let’s not forget about all those international rednecks in Toronto, Montreal, Saudi Arabia, and various parts of Europe. Redneckville.

And we all know about those rednecks in Hartford, Connecticut...where they are tonight.

How many times have you been to LA? How about San Fran? Toronto and Montreal? How about Saudi and various parts of Europe?

As I said, there are rednecks everywhere, especially in huge metropolitan areas. Those numbers aren't as concentrated, as a percentage, as redneck regions, but they still exist. And in major metro areas, those numbers exist that are large enough to fill a 20,000 capacity arena for a redneck event.

How many times have you been to LA? How about San Fran? Toronto and Montreal? How about Saudi and various parts of Europe?

As I said, there are rednecks everywhere, especially in huge metropolitan areas. Those numbers aren't as concentrated, as a percentage, as redneck regions, but they still exist. And in major metro areas, those numbers exist that are large enough to fill a 20,000 capacity arena for a redneck event.

I guess the Saudi rednecks are the guys jumping Range Rovers and G-Wagens over the dunes.

G-Wagens .

It's ok, you can spell it as "G-wagons." Murox the Moron isn't here, so you don't have to worry about him lying and claiming that the official Mercedes site has it spelled as "G-wagen" and then watch him disappear when asked for a link showing that. You don't have to worry about him disappearing when multiple, legitimate car magazines/websites spell it as I did.

It's ok, you can spell it as "G-wagons." Murox the Moron isn't here, so you don't have to worry about him lying and claiming that the official Mercedes site has it spelled as "G-wagen" and then watch him disappear when asked for a link showing that. You don't have to worry about him disappearing when multiple, legitimate car magazines/websites spell it as I did.

Good for you. It's always been G-Wagen for me, because ich spreche Deutsch. And here's Road & Track using G-Wagen:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/car-design/g26192306/mercedes-g-wagen-40-birthday/

And Car and Driver as well:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...n-commemorates-35-years-with-special-edition/

And yes, M-B's official German website:

https://www.mercedes-benz.de/passengercars/configurator.html

Geländewagen: literally, terrain car.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
jackwagen

Good for you. It's always been G-Wagen for me, because ich spreche Deutsch. And here's Road & Track using G-Wagen:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/car-design/g26192306/mercedes-g-wagen-40-birthday/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...n-commemorates-35-years-with-special-edition/

Well, this thread isn't ending anytime soon.

All of that was a waste, as there has never been any question of whether "G-wagen" is an appropriate spelling. The question was if "G-wagon" was appropriate, and I showed multiple reputable car magazines spelling it that way. Why? Because it's the American/English way, and perhaps surprisingly to you, you're American and speak English regardless of how much you wish your name happened to be "Hans."

No, the question was if the Mercedes website actually used "G-wagen." Murox the Moron claimed that it did, then after numerous requests for him to prove it, he disappeared. Now, you're not doing much better by simply showing "Gelandewagen" and not the aforementioned request of "G-wagen."

because ich spreche Deutsch.

No, you definitely do not.

All of that was a waste, as there has never been any question of whether "G-wagen" is an appropriate spelling. The question was if "G-wagon" was appropriate, and I showed multiple reputable car magazines spelling it that way. Why? Because it's the American/English way, and perhaps surprisingly to you, you're American and speak English regardless of how much you wish your name happened to be "Hans."

No, the question was if the Mercedes website actually used "G-wagen." Murox the Moron claimed that it did, then after numerous requests for him to prove it, he disappeared. Now, you're not doing much better by simply showing "Gelandewagen" and not the aforementioned request of "G-wagen."

Do you call your car a Datsun or a Nissan?

It's been 30 years since I studied German (two years in high school, which was common in Cold War Indiana), but I am sure I speak more German than you speak Chinese. Scheißkerl.

Now, you're not doing much better by simply showing "Gelandewagen" and not the aforementioned request of "G-wagen."

Christ in Heaven....WTF do you think "G-Wagen" is short for?

you're American and speak English regardless

I am half German. That's good enough for me. More German than Liz Warren is Injun.

if "G-wagon" was appropriate, and I showed multiple reputable car magazines spelling it that way.

You showed multiple car magazines fvcking it up. Glückwunsche, Arschloch.

TERRAIN CAR. Now if I can just get rich fvckers like you to stop driving them so I can afford a nice, cheap diesel one I'd be happy.

Raoul 35 colemag 14. I don't even follow cars that closely, let alone German cars. But, everybody knows that wagen in the proper German name. Experts and purists would agree. Why is this even an argument?

It's been 30 years since I studied German (two years in high school, which was common in Cold War Indiana),

In other words, you don't speak German. Exactly.

Christ in Heaven....WTF do you think "G-Wagen" is short for?

More reading comprehension failure. Again, there was never an argument of whether "G-wagen" was acceptable or not. The argument was about Murox the Moron claiming "G-wagon" was incorrect.

You claimed the Mercedes website used the full name for it, but that wasn't the issue. The issue was if the website used "G-wagen," which it doesn't.

You showed multiple car magazines fvcking it up. Glückwunsche, Arschloch.

Hardly. One of them even noted that it is also correctly spelled "G-wagen" after it used "G-wagon."

But, everybody knows that wagen in the proper German name. Experts and purists would agree. Why is this even an argument?

Nobody is arguing otherwise, Her-man. You simply don't understand the argument.

Murox the Moron claimed that "G-wagon" was wrong. I showed him that both forms were acceptable, which was supported by numerous car magazines and websites.

In other words, you don't speak German. Exactly.

I speak/read/write enough to be able to lightly converse with Germans. It's not a coincidence I have some German friends on Facebook. Meanwhile, your entire argument is based on not being able to translate the name of this vehicle....and you are too obtuse to realize that is the root of you being wrong. So yeah, who the fvck are you to tell anyone what language they speak?

but that wasn't the issue.

IDGAF what your issue was with Rox. You've stepped on my crank now, tough shit. Let's go down to the VolksWAGEN dealer and see what those cocksuckers spell.

They are wrong, and so are you. Halts maul.

Remember way back when, when rifle at least pretended not to comment on topics of which he had no knowledge? Well...throw that out the window.

Your attempts have been demolished in this thread, as have Raoul's.

I speak/read/write enough to be able to lightly converse with Germans.

Numerous people can exchange pleasantries, make basic introductory sentences, and use greetings and common words. I can do those things in Spanish and Italian, but I don't fvcking go around claiming I speak those languages like you claimed to do about German.

Meanwhile, your entire argument is based on not being able to translate the name of this vehicle....and you are too obtuse to realize that is the root of you being wrong. So yeah, who the fvck are you to tell anyone what language they speak?.

To show you just how dumb you are, answer this question:

What is the biggest country in South America? And that question can be answered by any of the other morons in this thread who liked his post and agree with him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT