ADVERTISEMENT

SHR: ECU

this whole thing is delaying the inevitable, IMO. No OOC games and doubtful of a fall football season at all

Looking that way... The Gov of NC announced yesterday that public schools will only go back at limited capacity with alternating week schedules for students and/or online learning. And if schools don't like the hybrid plan, they can choose to do online learning only... No assemblies, no school clubs, and although he didn't specifically rule it out yesterday – likely no high school sports in the fall.

I know many of the colleges and universities in NC were waiting to see what kind of reopening plan the Gov and state came up with. I wouldn't be surprised at all to start hearing about higher education institutions doing "online learning only" and cancelling extracurriculars – including sports.

Virginia just announced that high school sports will not be played this fall... North Carolina and South Carolina have delayed the fall season by a month and are considering cancelling all together.

If state-funded high schools aren't playing... I doubt state funded universities will be either.

I told you all a couple of months ago to write off the season.

And shutdown round two is coming as well.
For football and some things. I am not sure the country will shut down totally like it did earlier this year.

Let's see, WV has already cancelled Bridge Day scheduled for October; and I believe the Boy Scouts have cancelled their World Jamboree set for next summer in Fayette County.

Many folks have cancelled or rescheduled weddings planned in OCT.-NOV, and even in the rest of 2020.

And even the most optimistic medical/health sources are saying that we "may" have an effective virus vaccine developed by the end of the year. Even so, anyone want to guess on how more months after that will it take to mass produce and effectively distribute it on a nation wide basis to the point it will be effective in truly stemming and reducing the virus pandemic?

Yep, but yet many believe that we gonna get major college football in a matter of a few weeks by at least the end of August!! GOOD LUCK with that!

Virginia just announced that high school sports will not be played this fall... North Carolina and South Carolina have delayed the fall season by a month and are considering cancelling all together.

If state-funded high schools aren't playing... I doubt state funded universities will be either.

Actually, the Virginia High School League hasn't ruled out fall sports completely, but they have said there will be no fall football. The three models presented to the VHSL's executive committee are:

Model 1 – Leave all sports in current season. Low and moderate contact risks sports that would be allowed to play are golf and cross country. High risk sports that would not be played are field hockey, football, volleyball, and cheer.

Model 2 – Switch Fall and Spring seasons. Low and moderate contact risk sports that would be allowed to play in the fall are track and field, tennis, soccer, baseball, and softball. High risk sports that would not be played are boys/girls lacrosse.

Model 3 – Delay all VHSL sports and adopt the Condensed Interscholastic Plan. Leave all sports in the season where they are currently aligned.

• Season 1 (Winter) December 14 – February 20 (First Contest Date – December 28)
  • Season 2 (Fall) February 15 – May 1 (First Contest Date – March 1)
  • Season 3 (Spring) April 12 – June 26 (First Contest Date – April 26)
Final decision July 27.

South Carolina announced today they are having a shortened season beginning on September 11. Teams will play 7 games and have to play region games first. Going to have a shortened playoff season too.

This is almost as bad as when your other boss made you drive around in a death trap, and you refused to say anything about it.
First of all I did say something about it. It was replaced.

Second, I am an elected moderator it would not look good for me to put the site owner in a bad spot.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Correct. South Dakota is one that stayed open. Their virus numbers are low and I see that they were millions of dollars in the black for the just ended fiscal year
South Dakota is a state that has half the population of West Virginia living in a landmass three times the size of the Mountain State.

South Dakota - 7,694 cases, 115 deaths (130 per MM of population)
West Virginia - 4,710 cases, 100 deaths (56 per MM of population)

If they didn't shut down, it is not surprising that they are in the black for the fiscal year. However, I don't know that South Dakota is an effective analogue for the rest of the United States, especially its large metropolitan areas, where the population of South Dakota might live in the span of a few city blocks.

Correct. South Dakota is one that stayed open. Their virus numbers are low and I see that they were millions of dollars in the black for the just ended fiscal year

Six other states did close some things but did not issue stay at home orders.

There isn't shit in South Dakota. There are twice as many people in my metro area than in all of SD. But the Black Hills and Badlands are beautiful.

Update: Mein Furher Cooper continued phase II until at least 9/11, meaning our season opener almost certainly will not be played in August. Hopefully AD Hamrick will come up a good solution....

Update: Mein Furher Cooper continued phase II until at least 9/11, meaning our season opener almost certainly will not be played in August. Hopefully AD Hamrick will come up a good solution....
It has been reported that Sept 12 is now an open date for both schools and it may be moved to that day

It's bizarre to me how much emphasis people are putting on 1-2 weeks delays, as if anything is going to change in that time period. I think it just means you can get to Labor Day before you have to announce that none of this is going to work.

Reactions: Herdmeister
It's bizarre to me how much emphasis people are putting on 1-2 weeks delays, as if anything is going to change in that time period. I think it just means you can get to Labor Day before you have to announce that none of this is going to work.
I agree with you. I see no way that they will get anywhere near a complete season of CFB. If MLB can't do it with zero fans in a non contract sport, no way 100 college kids roaming around campus can do it

Reactions: herdalicious
I agree with you. I see no way that they will get anywhere near a complete season of CFB. If MLB can't do it with zero fans in a non contract sport, no way 100 college kids roaming around campus can do it

Agreed... At 128 FBS universities strewn across the country... I wish they would stop dragging it out and just call it off already. A bunch of states have cancelled high school fall sports and are already talking about what to do with winter seasons.

Reactions: Herdmeister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT