ADVERTISEMENT

Smock gets cut

He told me a couple weeks ago that this might happen. He believes that the GM will simply use Herd H-D beat stories from Traylor and McCann and run them in the GM

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
Wonder if in a bit we'll see a news paper called the Hearld Gazette, covering the Huntington, Charleston, Ashland, Ironton quadplex? Sound like a good move to me for oh so many reasons.
I've wondered this too - with both papers being printed in Charleston already anyway.

In 10 or so years the Gazette (calling it the Gazette-Mail is ridiculous, the Chiltons bankrupted themselves buying the Mail to shut it down) and the H-D will look a lot like the Cincinnati Enquirer and its suburban Kentucky Enquirer. About 4 to 6 pages of unique to Huntington material but the bulk of the paper will be the same.

Marshall material in the Gazette will just be cut and pasted from the H-D, which is smart business. It is a trade off, because Smock was good and it was nice to have two completing news groups covering the team, but I'm sure the anti-Marshall crowd, including Vingleberry, will be told to stick to their team and not write his monthly anti-Marshall screed.

BTW, a total of 11 people were "not hired" (AKA fired) and 29 more did not bother to even ask for a job from the new owners.

Reactions: Sash19
How old is Landon? I know, like every other employee, he was cheated out of his pension by the Chiltons for his time at the Charleston papers, but he has been with the H-D for a good while and he has to be over the social security age, right? He was at Marshall during the plane crash era, which should put him in his late 60s.

Clearly the GM is going to have no original Marshall content, probably just a shorter version of what is in the H-D. I would rather see Smock replace Landon.

Saw a post on a political website which probably outlined how things will be. Down in the Carolinas the same company owns the paper in Raleigh, Durham, Charlotte, Columbia, Myrtle Beach, Rock Hill, and Hilton Head. And, leaving aside the actual local news and sports, the papers contain the same material. The UNC story in the Raleigh paper is the same as the UNC story in the Charlotte paper. The USC story is the same in Columbia and Charlotte and Myrtle Beach and so on. Same for the state news.

So in a year or so all the H-D is going to produce is coverage of Marshall and the local HSs, and Huntington/Cabell/Wayne politics, and otherwise it is just going to be a remix of the Gazette. The owner of the Clarksburg paper is in this deal too, and that will probably be the same as well.

So the state of serious media coverage of Marshall, sports and academics, come 2019, is going to be the H-D, WSAZ, WCHS/WVAH, the Kindred radio stations, and this website. Metronews, a Morgantown based outfit, makes a nominal effort with one part-time guy and really it would be better if they did not even try; and WOWK, at least under its previous management, is 100% anti-Marshall. Contrast that to just a few years ago when not only did you have the H-D, but two competing Charleston papers, several smaller papers in southern WV healthy enough to do some coverage, all three TV stations, and multiple radio shows in both Huntington and Charleston, all with different perspectives on things. It is important to have different perspectives on issues, including sports.

Reactions: tradebait
Let's be honest - information coming out of the AD is so tightly controlled, its not like anybody's producing anything but a flavorless paste anyway.

Reactions: wally2023
Saw a post on a political website which probably outlined how things will be. Down in the Carolinas the same company owns the paper in Raleigh, Durham, Charlotte, Columbia, Myrtle Beach, Rock Hill, and Hilton Head. And, leaving aside the actual local news and sports, the papers contain the same material. The UNC story in the Raleigh paper is the same as the UNC story in the Charlotte paper. The USC story is the same in Columbia and Charlotte and Myrtle Beach and so on. Same for the state news.

So in a year or so all the H-D is going to produce is coverage of Marshall and the local HSs, and Huntington/Cabell/Wayne politics, and otherwise it is just going to be a remix of the Gazette. The owner of the Clarksburg paper is in this deal too, and that will probably be the same as well.

So the state of serious media coverage of Marshall, sports and academics, come 2019, is going to be the H-D, WSAZ, WCHS/WVAH, the Kindred radio stations, and this website. Metronews, a Morgantown based outfit, makes a nominal effort with one part-time guy and really it would be better if they did not even try; and WOWK, at least under its previous management, is 100% anti-Marshall. Contrast that to just a few years ago when not only did you have the H-D, but two competing Charleston papers, several smaller papers in southern WV healthy enough to do some coverage, all three TV stations, and multiple radio shows in both Huntington and Charleston, all with different perspectives on things. It is important to have different perspectives on issues, including sports.

I can share this...The Charlotte Observer [Disturber] has the worst sports page in the nation. If you love reading day after day the SAME STUFF about the Panthers, Hornets or NASCAR...then you will likely want to subscribe to the Observer. Way TOO LIBERAL for me too. They thrive in bashing President Trump [editorials & cartoons], Republicans, and anyone on the conservative Right Side. The Disturber has very little high school sports (unless it's about West Charlotte HS), an occasional story on the Charlotte 49ers, found on page 4 or 5. I aborted the newspaper about a year ago & read only their Digital edition. Newspapers are a dangered species......youngsters get their news from other media sources. I support more & more newspapers will die soon!

HerdZilla22 (Marshall Univ. Page Pitt School of JRN & Mass Communications)..........Yes, C Landon attended JRN classes with me in the late 60's.

Being in the print business, I can go ahead and let you know that the cost of a newspaper will be going up in the coming weeks. Newsprint costs are going up as much as 22% over the next week or so. Struggling newspapers aren't going to be able to take the hit, and will pass it along to their readers. Already on the decline, subscriptions will take another big hit due to increased pricing of the newspapers. You'll see more and more papers go out of business, or continue to conglomerate to create one newspaper, with fewer localized stories. It's been this way in Michigan for several years now. (MLIVE)

Being in the print business, I can go ahead and let you know that the cost of a newspaper will be going up in the coming weeks. Newsprint costs are going up as much as 22% over the next week or so. Struggling newspapers aren't going to be able to take the hit, and will pass it along to their readers. Already on the decline, subscriptions will take another big hit due to increased pricing of the newspapers. You'll see more and more papers go out of business, or continue to conglomerate to create one newspaper, with fewer localized stories. It's been this way in Michigan for several years now. (MLIVE)
I have subscribed to both the Huntington and Charleston paper for quite a few years (I stopped Charleston yesterday) but have not had a "real paper" delivered to my home in a very long time. I love digital and I assume in the very near future it will all be that way. If you see something you want to print, then just hit print.

I am old school. I still like to read the paper while eating breakfast. I look at enough on the computer and my phone during the day. Strains the old eyes.

And, Twolf, the digital version will never, Never, NEVER replace the print edition in the emergency situation where there is NO toilet paper anywhere to be found!!! :p

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan

Dreh, I read somewhere that almost all of the paper used for newspapers in the US comes from Canada. Believe it was a few years ago that the price of said paper took a big jump and soon after most newspapers raised their price by a quarter, or more. Also, the actual newspaper size has shrunk drastically over the years, presumably as a result of rising costs.

Just measured my copy of today's Charleston paper. Approximately 12 and a half inches by 23 and a half inches. I know the last time I was in Cincinnati, the local papers, Enquirer, and Post, were even smaller in size, almost down to that of the newspaper "tabloids".

Dreh, I read somewhere that almost all of the paper used for newspapers in the US comes from Canada. Believe it was a few years ago that the price of said paper took a big jump and soon after most newspapers raised their price by a quarter, or more. Also, the actual newspaper size has shrunk drastically over the years, presumably as a result of rising costs.

Just measured my copy of today's Charleston paper. Approximately 12 and a half inches by 23 and a half inches. I know the last time I was in Cincinnati, the local papers, Enquirer, and Post, were even smaller in size, almost down to that of the newspaper "tabloids".
Correct in all accounts. Newspaper size reduced by a slim margin, but that reduction calculates out to 6-7% in paper savings, as well as some big printers buying more efficient presses with lower waste. The big increase in newsprint forthcoming is a result of a lawsuit against Canadian mills that was recently settled, thus resulting in tariffs ranging from ten to twenty two percent. That's all being passed along to the production facilities, which will, in turn be passed off to the consumer. Our company doesn't produce newspapers, but we do produce many manuals for large corporations like Whirlpool.

And, Twolf, the digital version will never, Never, NEVER replace the print edition in the emergency situation where there is NO toilet paper anywhere to be found!!! :p

Got that right. Although I found in those situations, the ink from the Gagette tended to smear! LOL!

The best thing I ever did(besides marry my wife) was change my major at Marshall from journalism to biology. I feel bad for the print guys who are falling to victim of the World Wide Web of journalism. With each dying print comes more syndication and less local flare and touch to the writing

To be fair , didn't they cut Dickman a couple years ago?

Absolutely correct, 73. When the Gagzette took over the Daily Mail a few years ago, Dave Hickman was let go. He was at the time the WVU beat writer, a job taken over by then sports editor Vingle. I often wondered what happened to Hickman and where he ended up. Way, way back he worked as a sports writer in Beckley and covered the Herd some and did a decent job, pretty objective, etc.

Just hope Smock finds something he can make a living at and enjoys. He told Paul Swann that he has been working since 1987, I guess when he got out of MU, and had been at the Charleston papers for 29 years and has covered MU sports since 2002. He blamed the Gazette's bankruptcy and other problems mainly on its management's decision to take over the Daily Mail, the resultant lawsuits, etc. Read that as bad management by the Chilton family, (and, IMO, also their arrogance).

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Correct in all accounts. Newspaper size reduced by a slim margin, but that reduction calculates out to 6-7% in paper savings, as well as some big printers buying more efficient presses with lower waste. The big increase in newsprint forthcoming is a result of a lawsuit against Canadian mills that was recently settled, thus resulting in tariffs ranging from ten to twenty two percent. That's all being passed along to the production facilities, which will, in turn be passed off to the consumer. Our company doesn't produce newspapers, but we do produce many manuals for large corporations like Whirlpool.

Dreh, on this subject you might be interested in a column/editorial today by Tom Silvestri, publisher of the Richmond Times-Dispatch entitled "Help us protect local journalism and fight back against unnecessary newsprint tariffs". www.Richmond.com

The journalism profession, particularly on the print side, is notorious for low pay. They offer equally poor pensions.
My first job out of college was as a reporter on the WILLIAMSON DAILY NEWS, six days a week for the princely sum of $500 a month -- could barely make a car payment. That's why I got out and eventually went to the railroad.

doug is a casualty in HD media’s purchase of the gazette.....pisses me off because he’s one of the good guys....he will definitely be missed
Why? We have 18 year olds trying to influence the country? and they have some sort magic over those with true power? Don't be pissed because you don't have a voice. Be pissed off that you have a voice, and this forum appears to be less than an avenue than you wish it to be. How many friends do you have? How many people on this forum believe you have a point? And to what degree do you and yours, truly believe that Smock should be your representative in the press? It really isn't that hard to make at statement. Its just a matter of how far folks, like yourselves, are willing to go, and to what degree you are willing to stand up for yourselves.

Oh, you can use digital toilet paper, but you will never again look at your computer screen in quite the same way.

Why? We have 18 year olds trying to influence the country? and they have some sort magic over those with true power? Don't be pissed because you don't have a voice. Be pissed off that you have a voice, and this forum appears to be less than an avenue than you wish it to be. How many friends do you have? How many people on this forum believe you have a point? And to what degree do you and yours, truly believe that Smock should be your representative in the press? It really isn't that hard to make at statement. Its just a matter of how far folks, like yourselves, are willing to go, and to what degree you are willing to stand up for yourselves.
Nice buzz.......

Reactions: 19MU88

What?????

Jerry-Seinfeld-No-Thanks-and-Leave.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT