ADVERTISEMENT

So Doc Makes NO Coaching Changes

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
So what are we going to be in for this coming season with Legg, Heater, and Mirabel still on staff? How many of you honestly expect this team to be truly better than last year? I have my doubts.

I honestly don't have any expectations on this season because coming in to last season I really thought we would be competing for the conference championship. Id like to say if the coaching staff didn't shake up, hopefully we will see the depth chart shake up. If the transfers and P5 guys we snagged actually see the field, I could definitely see an improvement from last year. If Chase is our QB and plays similar to his freshman season we will be better. As long as I can remember I've never felt more uncertainty about an upcoming season than I do right now.

after last season i honestly have no expectations. we could win 3 games again, and i wouldn't be surprised. we could win 10 games, and i wouldn't be shocked.

*if* we don't compete for the division title right down to the final weeks of the season AND go to a bowl game people (plural) must get fired.

Greenhouse if you like reliving the past so be it. Doc and staff have outlived their usefulness at Marshall. It happens. After the coming repeat disaster this season has in store I'm sure you will see the light. Do I want to see the team be successful? You bet I do. Do I think it will happen? Not with the likes of Legg, Heater, and Mirabel on the staff.

I'm expecting 7-5 and a bowl. Anything less and the fan's heat will be on the coaches, especially if they don't open things up. Don't know about MH's: I guess his barometer will be how full the stands are.

I am shocked we have seen no changes after Doc said there would changes. Nothing but lies from this program.

IN...before super fan jumps your ace about us being too poor to hire/fire anyone. I think our coaching staff works for food stamps.

Tim 7 and 5! 7 and 5!!! 7 and 5!!! Man I hope you are good at predictions. I think we may be 1 and 4 before conference play.

3 10 win seasons. A CUSA Championship. 3 Bowl wins.

I predicted 4 wins last season.

I predict 9 wins this season.

DEAL.

So, I have to post this, blatantly stolen from another board because I've been watching this guys predictions for quite a few seasons and quite frankly he's usually really good. Sadly , or rather, in reality I agree with 7-5 to 8-4. We just aren't that good to win CUSA. Too young at too many key positions and no D Reeves to bail us out with a huge play. Still a decent season for a young Soph QB and team that shows they will fight to the bitter end if nothing else.

From Ought 3s own words starting below....

40 days before "The Joan" roars to life, your humble nerd has surfaced once again from the Nerdery to present another installment of crunched numbers. These projections are based on how much better or worse a team might be, given their loss of starters and key contributors as well as changes in conference and OOC schedule. That drives their offensive and defensive stats up or down. Each team plays a game against "Median U" who represents the most perfectly middling college imaginable. A team's score +/- is based on how they would fare in a neutral location against the Median team.

Headline: "Southern Miss and WKU Top Their Divisions; Herd Tied for 2nd With MTSU"
Team RTG Div.
Western Kentucky -2 E
Middle Tenn. -5 E
Marshall -6 E
Fla. Atlantic -9 E
FIU -9 E
Old Dominion -10 E
Charlotte -13 E

Southern Miss. -3 W
UTSA -5 W
Louisiana Tech -6 W
UTEP -7 W
Rice -9 W
North Texas -11 W

You can see that the raw data technically has MU 3rd, but this formula does not take venue into account, and the Blue Raiders visit Huntington on 11/12, so it could very well go MU's way. That same logic does not hold for WKU, who will likely come to Huntington favored.

Headline: "MU Record May Hinge on One Game"
Opp Rtg Ven Res
Morgan St. x H WIN
Akron -7 H WIN
Louisville 2 H LOSS
Pittsburgh -4 A LOSS
North Texas -11 A WIN
FAU -9 H WIN
Charlotte -13 H WIN
Southern Miss. -3 A LOSS
Old Dominion -10 A WIN
MTSU -5 H ***
FIU -9 A WIN
WKU -2 H LOSS

Based on this, the MTSU game will determine whether the Herd has a 7-5 or 8-4 regular season record - barring any upsets either way. I'd sure like to see Pitt come to Huntington instead of us go there.

Superlatives:
Most Over-Valued: Rice Owls
The Owls will be lucky to make bowl eligibility much less challenge for the West title. They open at WKU and then two weeks later have to host Baylor. I don't care what kind of home-field adv they have, it won't be enough. Road trips to Louisiana Tech and Stanford also loom large. Yes, they have a lot of starters back, but they are breaking in a new QB who is built like Chase Litton, but that's about where the similarities end.

On The Move: UTSA Roadrunners
I have a feeling about this team. They have a new coach, and traded in an absolutely murderous OOC schedule last year ( Arizona, Kansas St., Oklahoma St., Colorado St.) for a slightly less murderous one (Alabama St., Colorado St., Arizona St., and Texas A&M). They get ODU and Charlotte from the East and give me every reason to believe that if the defense doesn't drop off too significantly, they could surprise. A win at Rice on 10/15 would certainly validate this article.
wink.gif

Predicted Champion Southern Miss
It's simple, the only serious title contenders on Southern Miss' schedule are Marshall and LA Tech - and the Eagles get both of them at home. Other than a couple of tough OOC games in the SEC, the rest of their schedule plays out as follows: Savannah St., Troy, UTEP, Rice, UTSA, Charlotte, ODU, and North Texas. They have the talent and the schedule to roll into the title game.

Final Analysis: This year's team has talent, but is inexperienced in some places where we need experience - especially on defense. How this team deals with adversity, and the end of each month will bring plenty, will say a lot about their final fortunes. Chances are still good that the Herd will go bowling. As far as titles go, I think we're one year away.

See you in October!

ip.gif

Second quote is from a post of yours dated 8/1/16. It took two minutes to find.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
I see us at maybe 6 wins. You won't see a huge jump. Too many issues on this team to make a huge jump in my opinion. But I could be wrong. I am just not expecting much from this year. Before last season I looked ahead to this season as a big time season for us but I have definitely cooled on that.

All in all I think we will be here after next season complaining about a lackluster season and wanting Doc or others fired. Hope I'm wrong.

Herdon2 6 wins! Who we going to sneak upon on? Remember who is coaching the offense? Right. Nothing new there at all. So I ask you again 6 wins! Who do you think we are going to beat? I see us at 1-3 in first 4 games. And the conference losses we endured last year - well those teams have the majority of their players back and those teams have a "coach." We've got Doc and a terrible cast of supporting characters. 6 wins would be great and I'm with you in spirit. However it is reality that counts. 6 wins! Who we going to beat and why?

I have decided for the first time in about 30 years to have no expectations about Herd football. Last year was too painful. I hope for the best but am prepared for another sub par season. The only way we improve is if the whole team steps up and these guys like Yulee and Owens etc are as good as advertised come in and make an instant impact.

Marshall77 you hit the big one! I agree. Hamrick is a big part of the problem but try to convince others who quickly point to the IPF and Hall of Fame. True both are great accomplishments but they don't sell tickets. Hamrick picks in major sports are mediocre at best and his overall judgement in hiring coaches is suspect. Just check with East Carolina and UNLV for those who need confirmation.

Reactions: MARSHALL77
Doc lies to the fans. He must go. He is better off than most so dont worry about him.His retirement will be grand . Hire Charlottes coach

Doc keeping Bill Legg on staff all but guarantees another long, humiliating football season. Neither Doc nor his boss Hamrick seem to have the intestinal fortitude to do the right thing. I believe this season will be a repeat of last year and when it's over hopefully President Gilbert will relieve Doc, Hamrick, and for good measure - DD, from all coaching responsibilities.

Our offense will be the same ole slow short out routes, handoff 7 yards deep in the backfield, then a long extremely over or under thrown pass.... nothing new out of bill legg I'm sure.. hopefully we see improvement on defense I think Hester is a so so coach but he most definitely needs to blitz more, back to the days of blitzing a safety and blowing up a QB ohh the good ole days!! But over all I say we win 5 to 7 games but not easily, and we will all hate how our offense looks sluggish!!

Neutral, I said I am EXPECTING -- not predicting -- 7-5. Anything less than that and I won't be happy. Extremely disappointed that there were no coaching changes. If we have another year of ineffective Bill Legg bubble screens, the stands will empty out like a high school fire drill.

Tim thank you for pointing out that you are "expecting" 7-5. I got that and agree 7-5 would be a great turnaround. I just can't get past the fact that Doc made zero changes in his staff. I guess he wants to be fired!

7-5 would be a great turn around when over half our schedule will be played against teams ranked in the 100s. Sigh.

this

when you allegedly have one of the great recruiters in College Football AND play in one of the worst conferences in College Football it should not be beyond expectations to go from 3 to 10 wins. it should be expected...

7-5 when you look at the bulk of CUSA is pathetic - then consider what we did back in the MAC ( when we actually had a team , not individuals and not a QB that can not take a hit, is scared to take a hit and knows only to get rid of the ball as quickly as he can. Back when we had 3 straight QB's that could seriously light it up i.e. Kresser , Pennington and Leftwich and you could slide Cato in there as well. Add to that we have no DB's worth a darned , LB's do not produce , and the D line is not up to snuff ( right along with the O line).

If this team has trouble with any other team in the conference besides WKU then the whole lot needs to go. Cincy and NC State will be L's as we will be doing everything as we did last season on both sides of the ball and if anyone seriously things Legg will suddenly have a light bulb go off then you should be the one considering throwing your name in the hat when the AD is finally removed.

So that is 3 losses - less than 10 wins and there is an issue ( 10 wins however will not happen) so we have an issue on the stove already simmering and it will not take much for the pot to boil over.

See how the first 5 games go and if its as many expect then the brains of the operation (that is scary) needs to fire Holliday along with the O and D coords and bring in a retread to get us to the end of the season while in the meantime be on the road hunting for a new coach vs sitting in his box doing lord knows what.

Our offense will be the same ole slow short out routes, handoff 7 yards deep in the backfield, then a long extremely over or under thrown pass.... nothing new out of bill legg I'm sure.. hopefully we see improvement on defense I think Hester is a so so coach but he most definitely needs to blitz more, back to the days of blitzing a safety and blowing up a QB ohh the good ole days!! But over all I say we win 5 to 7 games but not easily, and we will all hate how our offense looks sluggish!!
He blitzed more than most realize, but it didn't matter cause the linebackers would shoot the wrong gaps or over pursue all the time. The only game they got it right was MTSU. Heater took over a really crappy defense in 2013 and made them respectable, he is a good coach, not without his flaws, but the best we can afford none the less. Everyone knows his weakness is the quick slant, but other than that he is pretty solid in his game plan. He was just dealt a bad hand last year with waaayyyy too many new faces and inexperience. A lot was unexpected. Now offense had no friggin excuse, OLine has gotten worse each year under Mirabol, and Legg doesn't seem to adapt to what he has.

For me and a couple of my chairback friends, we have already agreed that 8-4 is the standard to be met. Anything less (considering CUSA) and we will not renew our chairbacks and drop the $1000 BG donation. We figure we can still tailgate and sit on the east side or end zone cheap seats. Heck. if we want, after halftime we can go sit about anywhere in the 1/2 empty stadium.
I don't care about coach speak, the embarrassingly nasty condition of the rest rooms, the rinky-dink concourse or who the AD or President is. I just want to "Just Win Baby Win".

Speaking of seating I think this year will be interesting just to see how many renew period.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT