ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer Rosters

Status
Not open for further replies.

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
Out of Marshall’s 11 starters in the national championship, 10 of them are from another country. The lone starter who is American is from Morganhole.

In comparison, Indiana has just one foreigner on their entire roster. Georgetown also has just one foreigner on their entire roster . . . and we started 10 foreigners.

As one of my friends said to me to give me a hard time, “I wasn’t really surprised to see Brazil beat Indiana.”

Marshall also has starters who have played on professional soccer clubs overseas. Did they forgo any payment/impermissible benefits in hopes they’d receive a U.S. scholarship?

Last edited:
Out of Marshall’s 11 starters in the national championship, 10 of them are from another country. The lone starter who is American is from Morganhole.

In comparison, Indiana has just one foreigner on their entire roster. Georgetown also has just one foreigner on their entire roster . . . and we started 10 foreigners.

As one of my friends said to me to give me a hard time, “I wasn’t really surprised to see Brazil beat Indiana.”

Marshall also has starters who have played on professional soccer clubs overseas. Did they forgo any payment/impermissible benefits in hopes they’d receive a U.S. scholarship?

2019 Pre-Covid athletic budgets
Indiana: ~$128 mm
Marshall- $33 mm

They can go cry me a big Brazilian River.

If our players aren’t from West Virginia, I couldn’t care less if they’re from Florida or Antarctica.

Rifle - don’t overthink this. We just won our first ever Natty playing against the blue bloods! This ain’t Furman or the Citadel we’re talking about. It’s seems like you’re trying to (gasp!) stir things up……Go to the parade and enjoy yourself!
Go Herd - 2020 Natty Champs!!

With something like 3 or 4 mins to go in the match, one of the announcers kept going on about Indiana's tradition and how their coach even says "we win because of the name on our jersey." Well, newsflash for that coach - no, you don't. Read Jamil's tweet from yesterday. That is why you win. I don't give a damn where our guys are from because when they put on the kelly green they are sons of Marshall.

who gives a ****? and they didn't in with the letters "LL" either.

What advantage does Marshall have over Clemson, North Carolina, or Indiana? Really? Let's hear it? Pooor little Clemson, North Carolina, and Indiana. Yehh right.

They have every advantage in the world over us.

Frankly, we are the best Division 1 soccer team right now and we are the mother ****in champions.

Not going to let you spoil it.

Here is a Red Card for Major Deflection.

You went to Marshall and they gave you a chance didn't they?

UNC had kids from Italy, England , Germany, Venezuela and Sweden play heavy minutes against us.

Clemson has nine players on their roster from foreign countries. Their leading scorer is from England. One of their starting wings is from Spain. Their best midfielder is from Ecuador. Their best defender (a first round MLS pick) is from Kenya.

Different sport, but schools relying on foreign players is also prevalent in college tennis. Only two of the top 10 singles players in the country are from the US. The other eight are from Canada, Portugal (2), France, Sweden, England, Brazil and Australia.

Baylor, the #1 team in the country, has a top six comprised of players from Romania, Chile, Slovenia, England and the US (two). Tennessee, who is #2, literally has ZERO American kids in their top six.

I find it laughable that there are negative comments out there about us having so many foriegn players. I've seen it on social media and Facebook. You recruit the best kids you can, kids you can win with - period. If Johnny from Cincinnati can't beat out Jamil from England, screw him, that's life.

BTW, Most small college rosters are filled with foreign players - pretty common.

UNC had kids from Italy, England , Germany, Venezuela and Sweden play heavy minutes against us.

Clemson has nine players on their roster from foreign countries. Their leading scorer is from England. One of their starting wings is from Spain. Their best midfielder is from Ecuador. Their best defender (a first round MLS pick) is from Kenya.

Different sport, but schools relying on foreign players is also prevalent in college tennis. Only two of the top 10 singles players in the country are from the US. The other eight are from Canada, Portugal (2), France, Sweden, England, Brazil and Australia.

Baylor, the #1 team in the country, has a top six comprised of players from Romania, Chile, Slovenia, England and the US (two). Tennessee, who is #2, literally has ZERO American kids in their top six.
same for golf. colleges are starting to go overseas and get the golfers. One year John Rahm(from Spain) was the low amateur at the US Open at Oakmont playing for Arizona State. Two weeks later he signs a deal with Callaway and is on tour and soon after that he is top 10 in the world.

Additional info after looking at some rosters...

Pitt has 17 kids from foreign countries. Their best player Valentin Noel (who is a finalist for POY), is from France. They were the number 2 seed in the College Cup.

Seton Hall has 19 kids from foreign countries. Their leading scorer is from Sweden. Their leader in assists is from England. Starting keeper is from Italy. They were the number 6 seed in the College Cup.

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
If ncaa allows it then who cares. Although now that a nobody school from every beat 4 of the top teams in the nation that rule will change and we will probably be put on probation
The final poll is out and 2 of the teams Marshall beat in the college cup received a 1st place vote and Pitt received the other 2. That’s f’d up. It was decided on the field.

To be honest , the way they carry themselves on the field, and the way they interact with the community (especially kids), these international guys are much better ambassadors for the University than many of these guys we pull out of Florida or wherever else into our athletic programs.

To be honest , the way they carry themselves on the field, and the way they interact with the community (especially kids), these international guys are much better ambassadors for the University than many of these guys we pull out of Florida or wherever else into our athletic programs.
Agree. I spoke with Dias, Milo and Santos last night. All well spoken, appreciative and you can tell they love being here.
Seem like fine young men.

Additional info after looking at some rosters...

Pitt has 17 kids from foreign countries. Their best player Valentin Noel (who is a finalist for POY), is from France. They were the number 2 seed in the College Cup.

Seton Hall has 19 kids from foreign countries. Their leading scorer is from Sweden. Their leader in assists is from England. Starting keeper is from Italy. They were the number 6 seed in the College Cup.

Seems silly or ignorant to detract from MU's success due to foreign players. As many have pointed out, foreign players are all over US college soccer. And...not to mention Universities are great places for a diverse student body and exchange of diversity of ideas, back ground and culture.

Congrats! You guys have nothing at all to be ashamed of. No rules were broken. Your coach recruited kids with incredible talent....and those kids chose Marshall. You could see who the better team was shortly after the first whistle. Fantastic team and fun to watch.

Unsure why any Marshall supporter would be down on this? Unsure why anyone in this state would be down on this?

Look at the better college teams, they have tons of foreign players. Why not go for kids who've played the game religiously since they were very young. Most small college rosters for men are dominated by foreign players. Grassie needs to keep on mining that pipeline and get the best players he can - which he will.
Not to mention these kids are great young men, well spoken, represent the school and community very well.

Some people are just idiots

It's true that soccer is more "developed" internationally, the same way American basketball is so much more advanced making it hard for anyone in the world to beat our talent, however, there is so much more that goes into a NCAA tourney run let alone winning a title. You have to give a lot of credit to the players and the coach and the hard work, not to mention how much less our program is funded.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
It's true that soccer is more "developed" internationally, the same way American basketball is so much more advanced making it hard for anyone in the world to beat our talent, however, there is so much more that goes into a NCAA tourney run let alone winning a title. You have to give a lot of credit to the players and the coach and the hard work, not to mention how much less our program is funded.
Agreed! Grassie did a phenomenal job in molding kids from different countries that have different religions, different upbringings, different customs/cultures, different races, different playing styles, etc, etc. It’s not as simple as plug and play. If that was the case, based on recruiting rankings, we’d have several C-USA football championships.

Reactions: AmeriKenny
who gives a ****? and they didn't in with the letters "LL" either.

What advantage does Marshall have over Clemson, North Carolina, or Indiana? Really? Let's hear it? Pooor little Clemson, North Carolina, and Indiana. Yehh right.

They have every advantage in the world over us.

Frankly, we are the best Division 1 soccer team right now and we are the mother ****in champions.

Not going to let you spoil it.

Here is a Red Card for Major Deflection.
If Marshall fielded a roster of entirely WV, Ohio, and KY kids, and if Marshall lost to a team that started 10 foreigners, your tears would have flooded this forum.

You went to Marshall and they gave you a chance didn't they?
You have it the wrong way. I gave Marshall a chance.

The majority of their team, and the majority of their starters, are from the U.S.

On the other hand, at Marshall, we play for championships . . . with 10 of 11 starters from other countries, some of whom, have played professionally.

Any chance Brad Smith can pony up some cash to get Ronaldo on Marshall's team for next season?

Yeah, but we didn't play Pitt.

Yeah, but we didn't play Seton Hall.

This thread is one of the OP’s best troll efforts.
giphy.gif

Seems silly or ignorant to detract from MU's success due to foreign players. As many have pointed out, foreign players are all over US college soccer. And...not to mention Universities are great places for a diverse student body and exchange of diversity of ideas, back ground and culture.
F6nJUN7.jpg

It's true that soccer is more "developed" internationally,

Speaking of international development, do foreign 14 year old girls develop at a faster rate or are you only interested in American 14 year old girls?

• Angry
Reactions: AmeriKenny
Some of this talk about foreigners and their acceptance into the U.S. of A. is reminding me of political talk, which is supposedly a punishable offense on this forum.

Can we uphold the forum rule, which is pinned at the top of this forum, and punish those responsible for interjecting political posts on a sports posts only forum?

We have to be consistent here.

Some of this talk about foreigners and their acceptance into the U.S. of A. is reminding me of political talk, which is supposedly a punishable offense on this forum.

Can we uphold the forum rule, which is pinned at the top of this forum, and punish those responsible for interjecting political posts on a sports posts only forum?

We have to be consistent here.

Wait, aren't you on a self-ban, or are you not keeping your word again?

Nothing political was discussed in this thread until you mentioned it, which means your self-ban should transition into a real suspension.

If Marshall fielded a roster of entirely WV, Ohio, and KY kids, and if Marshall lost to a team that started 10 foreigners, your tears would have flooded this forum.

You have it the wrong way. I gave Marshall a chance.
I would have? No, I am more open minded than you are. I would expect that most soccer programs have a foreign influence. rifle, they are not foreigners. They are internationals and here as our fellow guests and Sons of Marshall. Need more sensitivity training?

Look at the better college teams, they have tons of foreign players. Why not go for kids who've played the game religiously since they were very young. Most small college rosters for men are dominated by foreign players. Grassie needs to keep on mining that pipeline and get the best players he can - which he will.
Not to mention these kids are great young men, well spoken, represent the school and community very well.

Some people are just idiots
Marshall already has a new recruit on the way, Niko Martinez out of a soccer academy in Connecticut.

I would have? No, I am more open minded than you are. I would expect that most soccer programs have a foreign influence. rifle, they are not foreigners. They are internationals and here as our fellow guests and Sons of Marshall. Need more sensitivity training?
Here’s a little Foreigner to celebrate the first time winning a Natty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT