ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer Rosters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do I feel like this is just going to wind up being the newest annoying part about being a Marshall fan?

That we have to have 14 different national flags flying at Hoops Family Field? I agree; that's annoying. We should just have the U.S., West Virginia, and since it's soccer, gay pride flag, flying there.

rifle won't understand that. They actually play instruments

Sorry that unlike you, I refused to play the skin flute.

Here’s a little Foreigner to celebrate the first time winning a Natty.

Dude's hair is not nearly as good as mine.

I know I said I was leaving it, but curiosity got me and I did the digging just because I’ve been seeing on Twitter people saying were just a super old team with basically professional internationals.

Our starters are made up of 2 seniors, 6 juniors, 2 sophomores, and 1 freshman. Our team average age wise is 21.6.

Would be lower if I included some here and there starters, but I only accounted for those in the NC game.

I’ve tried finding some info on him, but soccer players don’t get much of a scouting report unless you’re coming from an MLS academy it seems.

“Congratulations to Niko Martinez, who has committed to Marshall University. Marshall are the 2020 NCAA Division I National Champions.”

Still a little surreal reading that about a Marshall team sport.

Reactions: Jbabbington
Out of Marshall’s 11 starters in the national championship, 10 of them are from another country. The lone starter who is American is from Morganhole.

In comparison, Indiana has just one foreigner on their entire roster. Georgetown also has just one foreigner on their entire roster . . . and we started 10 foreigners.

As one of my friends said to me to give me a hard time, “I wasn’t really surprised to see Brazil beat Indiana.”

Marshall also has starters who have played on professional soccer clubs overseas. Did they forgo any payment/impermissible benefits in hopes they’d receive a U.S. scholarship?
Add International players to Catholics/Christians and Ungrammatical posters that rifle loathes. Your world must be an impossible minefield of disappointments.

Last edited:
Congrats! You guys have nothing at all to be ashamed of. No rules were broken. Your coach recruited kids with incredible talent....and those kids chose Marshall. You could see who the better team was shortly after the first whistle. Fantastic team and fun to watch.

Unsure why any Marshall supporter would be down on this? Unsure why anyone in this state would be down on this?

WV fans seem to be the people pushing this idea. It’s basically pure jealousy. Marshall is the first and only school in the state with a National Championship. Soccer may not be as popular as Football, Basketball or Baseball. However it’s definitely several classes above Rifling.

Hoppy Kerchival (sp?) interviewed one of our mid-fielders (Brasil). Our guy played high school soccer in CT….same prep school? I would be willing to wager there’s the connection. Or, could be we just won the Natty!! Go Herd!

Hoppy

Last edited:
Hoppy Kerchival (sp?) interviewed one of our mid-fielders (Brasil). Our guy played high school soccer in CT….same prep school? I would be willing to wager there’s the connection. Or, could be we just won the Natty!! Go Herd!
I’m sorry, I had it wrong. He’s playing for a club in Mississippi

Reactions: 19MU88
People aren’t mad we have international players, they’re mad we won. Remember when the Rice basketball team was overwhelmingly international? Does anyone get mad (other than Marshall fans) that Danny recruits overseas players?

this is just pure hater stuff.

• Love
Reactions: AmeriKenny
People aren’t mad we have international players, they’re mad we won. Remember when the Rice basketball team was overwhelmingly international? Does anyone get mad (other than Marshall fans) that Danny recruits overseas players?

I don't care. Marshall has no advantage at all over North Carolina, Clemson, Indiana, etc. We beat them all and I don't care where we get our players from. We won it all. Champs.

As long as they’re talking about us. Rent free in their heads....

Yeah, it’s your thread. Well, actually you are merely the OP. The board belongs to all of us. And, while we’re at it: You are the 1st to scream like a high school girl when politically themed comments are posted. Why do the mods tolerate your slanderous accusations of child molestation against other posters? It’s not appropriate in this forum. What say you, the Peoples moderator?? Does Rifle need a vacation?
Not sure what he needs. I think that spooning thing out in Utah has him frustrated or something.

Image of what i think of rifle's original post

bullshit_jobs.JPG

Its bad enough when we have to defend wins in sports to fans of other sports, its pathetic when they have to be defended to not only a fan, but a former student athlete at our own school.

Reactions: Marc22
"Does Rifle need a vacation?"

Mods are too afraid. For some reason.

Oh, Stephens. Your stupidity knows no end.

First, and most important, there is no basis to suspend me. I didn't violate any rules. The elderly insurance salesman with the mud hole in his front yard claimed that I was making slanderous accusations. But a key component of slander is being false. My comment is accurate and true. Further, it's not an accusation by saying a particular poster may get excited while hearing about young girls.

Second, the board owner is wise. He knows that I run these boards. He knows that I pack seats. You may love me, you may hate me. But you just can't stop tuning in to see what I say next, and that's why so many of you chase me around from board to board, mention me in threads that I am not a part of, Google me, constantly try to find any error I may have made, like any post against me, etc. Your obsession fuels clicks on this site, and the owner knows it.

Third, the other moderators know to keep their hands off of me after the board owner bitch-slapped Coach Stowers off of the boards other than the paid one. I shut down the smack board (with the assistance of the other three horsemen), hacked the other Herd board and let all of the banned accounts out of jail, and was able to circumvent the Rivals system by seeing deleted comments.

Hell, even the quote you posted from the elderly insurance salesman has been removed. He knew it wasn't good to publicly take a stand against me. The GF is Russian. Uncle Vlady doesn't put up with critics, and nor will I.

Its bad enough when we have to defend wins in sports to fans of other sports, its pathetic when they have to be defended to not only a fan, but a former student athlete at our own school.

Don't shoot the messenger. I just asked a simple question and showed the starters of Marshall versus the rosters of our opponents. It's not my fault that I exposed the sheer hypocrisy of Marshall fans by showing that they'd flip their shit if Indiana started 10 foreigners and beat a Marshall roster full of WV, KY, and Ohio kids.

Perhaps, Marshall fans should go back to claiming that ESPN, Conference USA, the soccer seeding committee, and everyone else has some sort of conspiracy to hurt Marshall.

Reactions: Eastern 8
Actually, if a D1 soccer roster or any high level competitive roster didn't have a bunch of foreign players on it, i would be suspicious the recruiting steps taking place to make that roster competitive at that level. The girls team could sure as hell use some foriegn players to improve their competitiveness. Funny, their best player is a local product.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Actually, if a D1 soccer roster or any high level competitive roster didn't have a bunch of foreign players on it, i would be suspicious the recruiting steps taking place to make that roster competitive at that level. The girls team could sure as hell use some foriegn players to improve their competitiveness. Funny, their best player is a local product.
Indiana’s starters are primarily American. But, they’ve been groomed by MLS clubs since pee-wee ball. I know some of our guys have pro affiliation from their home countries, but lets not act like teams like Indiana who are primarily American don’t have any.

The fact of the matter is, kids like Celentano, Bezerra, Endeley, ect. don’t want to come to Huntington. They know that they’re good, and they know the college soccer landscape. So what do we have to do? Go overseas and try to sell mid-tier players on a vision, because the drop off from the top talent in America is steep.

I’m sure that if it were easier to get the talent from America into Marshall, Grassie would do it. Would save the program a lot of money, something Grassie mentions all the time that their stretched on.

On another note though, WVU and Strats (Coach plucked from the Grassie tree) just announced their soccer recruiting class. It’s 80% international.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Indiana’s starters are primarily American. But, they’ve been groomed by MLS clubs since pee-wee ball. I know some of our guys have pro affiliation from their home countries, but lets not act like teams like Indiana who are primarily American don’t have any.

The fact of the matter is, kids like Celentano, Bezerra, Endeley, ect. don’t want to come to Huntington. They know that they’re good, and they know the college soccer landscape. So what do we have to do? Go overseas and try to sell mid-tier players on a vision, because the drop off from the top talent in America is steep.

I’m sure that if it were easier to get the talent from America into Marshall, Grassie would do it. Would save the program a lot of money, something Grassie mentions all the time that their stretched on.

On another note though, WVU and Strats (Coach plucked from the Grassie tree) just announced their soccer recruiting class. It’s 80% international.
If Americans were that darn good, our men's team would dominate the world cup and more US guys would be in the Premier League.

If Americans were that darn good, our men's team would dominate the world cup and more US guys would be in the Premier League.
Off topic, but I’m eager to see who we fill Jamils spot with. Do we bring in someone to compliment the team like we did with Dossantos, or do we just call in Nathans old teammate from Duquesne Raphael.

It's not my fault that I exposed the sheer hypocrisy of Marshall fans by showing that they'd flip their shit if Indiana started 10 foreigners and beat a Marshall roster full of WV, KY, and Ohio kids.

That’s just 100% made up speculative baloney.

Congratulations, you “Exposed the sheer hypocrisy” of a hypothetical reaction to a loss that didn’t occur, against a team that doesn’t exist.

I like to throw in a good dose of cynicism and self-proclaimed objectivity as much as anybody. But This is one of the greatest athletic achievements in Marshall History. Many will consider it THE greatest.

Why can’t you one time just let people be unqualified happy without trying to make yourself the center of the attention and discussion? Hell, if it makes you feel better, go to bed at night pitying the “hypocrites” and uninformed. But if for no other time than now, just try letting people experience some joy. I promise you no harm will come to you if you do that. Just leave us to wallow in our ignorance, and let them have this one. For shit sakes....

Actually, if a D1 soccer roster or any high level competitive roster didn't have a bunch of foreign players on it, i would be suspicious the recruiting steps taking place to make that roster competitive at that level.
Georgetown only has one foreigner, and he is their goalkeeper. Indiana only has one, and he doesn't play. Washington has two. Wake Forest has four. Stanford has five. Marshall has 10 of 11 starters.

That’s just 100% made up speculative baloney.
No, it's not. These boards have seen numerous claims supported by a significant amount of posters that ESPN has it out for us, that the MAC had it out for us, that C-USA has it out for us, that wvu has it out for us, that officials (in multiple sports) have it out for us . . . there is always an excuse. Then, consider the numerous posts over the years where people have complained about not enough WV kids, not enough panhandle kids, too many Florida kids, too many foreigners on the basketball team, etc.

It's not speculative. The proof has been in the pudding for many years, as tons of posters on here have previously griped about those things.

Why can’t you one time just let people be unqualified happy without trying to make yourself the center of the attention and discussion?
Question for all you posters:
IS RIFLE A NARCISSIST?
Answer yes or no only, please.

How does this discussion have anything to do with me? People in this thread and others have all noted that there has been plenty of attention on this subject from those outside of the Marshall community. Hell, it was such a popular topic that there was even a non-Marshall fan who had to try defending Marshall on the matter. Me simply passing that argument along and correcting bogus comments about it doesn't make it about me. Try staying on topic, discussing the issue, and not make it about me for once.

Georgetown only has one foreigner, and he is their goalkeeper. Indiana only has one, and he doesn't play. Washington has two. Wake Forest has four. Stanford has five. Marshall has 10 of 11 starters.
Obviously those coaches have well established pipelines and good track records. Other schools have more. Grassie has his pipeline and that’s via foreign clubs and connections. That’s worked out well for him.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Oh, Stephens. Your stupidity knows no end.

First, and most important, there is no basis to suspend me. I didn't violate any rules. The elderly insurance salesman with the mud hole in his front yard claimed that I was making slanderous accusations. But a key component of slander is being false. My comment is accurate and true. Further, it's not an accusation by saying a particular poster may get excited while hearing about young girls.

Second, the board owner is wise. He knows that I run these boards. He knows that I pack seats. You may love me, you may hate me. But you just can't stop tuning in to see what I say next, and that's why so many of you chase me around from board to board, mention me in threads that I am not a part of, Google me, constantly try to find any error I may have made, like any post against me, etc. Your obsession fuels clicks on this site, and the owner knows it.

Third, the other moderators know to keep their hands off of me after the board owner bitch-slapped Coach Stowers off of the boards other than the paid one. I shut down the smack board (with the assistance of the other three horsemen), hacked the other Herd board and let all of the banned accounts out of jail, and was able to circumvent the Rivals system by seeing deleted comments.

Hell, even the quote you posted from the elderly insurance salesman has been removed. He knew it wasn't good to publicly take a stand against me. The GF is Russian. Uncle Vlady doesn't put up with critics, and nor will I.

Don't shoot the messenger. I just asked a simple question and showed the starters of Marshall versus the rosters of our opponents. It's not my fault that I exposed the sheer hypocrisy of Marshall fans by showing that they'd flip their shit if Indiana started 10 foreigners and beat a Marshall roster full of WV, KY, and Ohio kids.

Perhaps, Marshall fans should go back to claiming that ESPN, Conference USA, the soccer seeding committee, and everyone else has some sort of conspiracy to hurt Marshall.
To say that you are the reason seats are packed by you and that you run these boards is a huge insult to all of Marshall University, especially with the drivel that you post. I think people would be perfectly fine to come here without being verbally assaulted by you nonstop. I mean maybe now that Trump was banned from most of mainstream social media and lost the election, people might flock here to see your nonsense insulting posts since Trump was banned. You just can't help yourself to stay on topic. When people post things that are non-offensive to anyone, you in turn reply with the most insulting, degrading nonsense. You are exposing your utter foolishness to everyone. You seem to think you are like Trump. Narcissistically post whatever the hell you want no matter how ridiculously foolish, offensive, sexist, racist, yet get away because you have connections and "run this board". How long is that going to fly? People like myself come here to support the Herd. You are way out of line and not everyone wants to see your drivel. I think there needs to be a separate forum for people that want to read your posts. Your BS shouldn't be mixed with well-meaning posts. You don't have to start smack and insults against fellow fans of the same team and hold meaningless and uncalled for grudges. We're not your enemies here. We have a shared love for Marshall and Marshall sports, don't we?

I, like hopefully many good people, come here to read and learn about MARSHALL related topics, not your drivel. You just making us obtain info on those topics much difficult. And if people are here for your degrading garbage, you are embarrassing the likes and reputation of Marshall University and West Virginia. Like I said, it needs to go in a special forum for people that are low like you. You give The Herd a bad name.

Reactions: Marc22 and 19MU88
To say that you are the reason seats are packed by you and that you run these boards is a huge insult to all of Marshall University,
Uh, that has nothing to do with Marshall, Chester.

I mean maybe now that Trump was banned from most of mainstream social media and lost the election, people might flock here to see your nonsense insulting posts since Trump was banned.
Political comment. BAN HAMMER!

. You just can't help yourself to stay on topic.
Chester, my posts stay on topic. It's the obsessors that don't like the information that I bring to the board about Marshall, and they are the ones who go off-topic and try making the thread be about me.

You seem to think you are like Trump. Narcissistically post whatever the hell you want no matter how ridiculously foolish, offensive, sexist, racist,
Political comment. BAN HAMMER!

I think there needs to be a separate forum for people that want to read your posts.

There already is one. It's called HerdNation.

You don't have to start smack and insults against fellow fans of the same team and hold meaningless and uncalled for grudges.
Chester, go back and read this thread. I'm not the one who tried talking about me nor am I the one who started "smack and insults against fellow fans."

The People's Moderator was the one who first made this about me. Why? Because like the other obsessors, he couldn't resist turning a legitimate topic (which plenty of others have posted about on the internet) to being about me. Even @TwolfHerdfan said that he had seen the topic mentioned on "social media and Facebook." @Jbabbington also said he had seen a similar discussion on Twitter. At this point, it is clear that it is a very reasonable topic to discuss, as multiple posters have stated that they've seen it discussed all over social media.

Then, Green Geezer tried making the thread be about me. Then, The People's Moderator and GreenDuke tried making it about me, again. At this point, three different posters tried making the thread change to be about me four different times. Only at that point did I acknowledge anything regarding me. Again, obsession. Some of you morons simply can't stay on topic and avoid making it be about me.

Then, Aaron Perkins, Johns, and Muthed tried their attempts to make this thread be about me. It's par for the course. I posted a reasonable discussion that other posters have noted has been discussed on other forums. I didn't mention anything about me. Only after four different attempts by posters to make it about me did I acknowledge it. Yet I'm the one who tries making it about me? Don't be a moron, moron.

You just making us obtain info on those topics much difficult.
I brought the info to the board about your beloved Marshall. Don't be mad that the roster doesn't include any Indians.

Like I said, it needs to go in a special forum for people that are low like you.
One of us has been arrested for trying to bang an underage girl. One of us hasn't. Yet the one who hasn't is the low one here?

Obviously those coaches have well established pipelines and good track records. Other schools have more. Grassie has his pipeline and that’s via foreign clubs and connections. That’s worked out well for him.

So you're suspicious of the recruiting going on at those places that I listed?

I just looked up Clemson and they have 9 players from other countries. Not sure which one our starters.

First of all, WV is not exactly a hot bed of high level soccer. Two, foreign countries are a hot bed of high level soccer. I would imagine the big schools are going to gobble most of the home country high level soccer players up first. So, Marshall's coach did a smart thing. He went and found high level competitive talent. I am sure if he was able to get it home grown he would. Apparently, even a big school like Clemson needs to go to foreign countries to find that talent in order to fill their roster.

I don't think it diminishes Marshall at all. The same thing goes on in football at most colleges. How many players from Florida go all over the country to play? Soccer is an international sport and football is not.

Trump was banned from most of mainstream social media and lost the election, people might flock here to see your nonsense insulting posts since Trump was banned.
Mods, here's a golden opportunity to remove that double standard stain that caused me to go on strike for 3-4 days.

You seem to think you are like Trump.
Mods, here's yet a 2nd golden opportunity to remove that double standard stain that caused me to go on strike for 3-4 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT