ADVERTISEMENT

Sooooo.....which HN member can give us courtside(s) reports?

‘Meister, I believe, will be in Frisco.
Go Herd! #bringthenetsbacktoMU

HERDMEISTER........I was planning on attending (daughter resides about 30 minutes from Frisco), but my work duties helping run a credit card processing company and the fact that I am the first ever Sports Information Director [SID] for Charlotte Christian baseball forces me to cheer on The HERD on CBS Sports. Yes, my ailing back issues has forced me to hang up my cleats!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte (cold too & raining)

Trying to figure out which side of the curtain to sit on. Louisiana Tech-North Texas side, or the Florida Atlantic-UAB side.

Trying to figure out which side of the curtain to sit on. Louisiana Tech-North Texas side, or the Florida Atlantic-UAB side.

The Florida Atlantic-UAB game would be a slower grind it out game.
The Louisiana Tech-North Texas game is going to be up tempo fun game to watch. It's probably going to have the biggest crowd too!
Are the fans aloud to move from one court to the other during the game?

Are the fans aloud to move from one court to the other during the game?
Just read an online article, and yes, you can go back & forth within the stadium, assuming there's plenty of places to sit. I'm guessing the majority of seats behind each backboard may be 1st come/1st serve, but not sure. Should be plenty of places to park an ass though. CUSA commish is excited about the venue and feels it's going to be great, based on what she's seen thus far. North Texas women's coach was also ecstatic about the venue. Of course, they're the only team playing close to home. Also read, where the four top drawing teams, which includes Marshall, are all more than 600 miles away from the venue. Ironically, North Texas is supposedly near the bottom in attendance.

Reactions: chuck1069
HERDMEISTER........I was planning on attending (daughter resides about 30 minutes from Frisco), but my work duties helping run a credit card processing company and the fact that I am the first ever Sports Information Director [SID] for Charlotte Christian baseball forces me to cheer on The HERD on CBS Sports. Yes, my ailing back issues has forced me to hang up my cleats!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte (cold too & raining)
Wow, you're important

I'll be there. I've already driven around the outside. Nice area with plenty of food, hotels and parking. They have a fan friendly experience set up outside the place. It all comes down to the courts themselves. Everything else looks first class.

I'm watching the USM-UTEP women's game now on Facebook. It actually looks good in video. Other than nobody being there but we see that everywhere.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Would be there if my boss had not planned a safety department meeting for thurs and friday. We make it to championship game will drive up saturday morning for it.

At least the friday is only til 12, so will be able to watch Friday's game.

Reactions: tradebait
Well watching the UTSA and UTEP game, if our guys can hit their 3's and UTSA plays the same game as tonight. I see alot of open 3's in our game. I have seen about 20 times where a 3's would have been shot by our guys in tonights game.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Just to get the WVU people who watch our board teisted up, If we win the conf championship could we get a 13 seed and be matched up with #4 WVU? That would be interesting.

NCAA selection committe has thrown iteresting match ups over the last few years. If we were on the border btwn a 13/14 seed I could see them bumping us to the 13 for the interesting match up.

Just to get the WVU people who watch our board teisted up, If we win the conf championship could we get a 13 seed and be matched up with #4 WVU? That would be interesting.

NCAA selection committe has thrown iteresting match ups over the last few years. If we were on the border btwn a 13/14 seed I could see them bumping us to the 13 for the interesting match up.

If that happens then the mods need to bring back TITM, at least from the time between the selection show and the game.

It would be glorious.

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
I went and watched the UTSA vs UTEP game last night. The Frisco area is very nice, and as Herdmeister points out there’s a lot of nice places to eat, hotels, and things to do. I think there’s a little group think going on with running down the choice of location, but there’s certainly many valid points being made as well.

First off, the facility is absolutely state of the art...for a football facility. If you’re a Cowboys’ fan you’d enjoy the place. They have a fan experience outside on the full sized turfed and lined field with stations set up for kids to play. The bands and cheerleaders from various CUSA schools have been out and performing and there’s quite a bit of activity going on. So location is nice, but obviously not convenient for the eastern schools.

As far as I can tell, the noise and whistles from one court is having very little effect on the other court and play. I didn’t witness any confusion being created with the simultaneous games. The place is so large and the courts are pretty far apart. The black curtain that separates the two sides appears to be cloth, but again I’m not seeing many issues.

But there are several negative aspects here. If you bought the cheaper GA seats you would be sitting in the end zone in the football sideline seats literally 50 to 70 yards from the nearest baseline and basket. The basket on the far end is literally more than a hundred yards away. You could position yourself in an area to see both games at once, but again, a long, long way from the court.

I got the all tournament institutional pass which allows me to sit in the makeshift bleachers behind the team bench. The rise is very slight making the site lines particularly prone to obstruction from people walking behind the benches or fans coming up the aisle. The seats are literally cheap plastic folding chairs that have been put together in rows and held together by plastic ties. I kid you not. The seats on the opposite sideline across from the team bench is literally (I keep using that word but it fits) wooded bleachers.

The end zone is empty with an area squared off for school bands. The depth of emptiness behind each basket is again around 50 to 70 yards before you reach the sideline football seats. I’m sure this isn’t a shooter’s court and there might be some getting use to the depth perception of the setup.

The scoreboards are placed ground level in the corner of both ends of the court. It is a video board with a live feed of the game with the score and time running across the top. There’s no player stats or any information you normally get on a scoreboard. Seeing the score is kind of difficult from the sideline seats, but the weirdest thing about the setup is the video board appears to be a little in the site line if someone shooting foul shots. I can’t imagine how setting up to shoot foul shots with a glimpse of yourself shooting in your peripheral vision must be.

But there you have it...my take. I have a video of the setup I’ll try to post later if I can figure out the whole hosting thing. I’m getting ready to take off for Waco to take my wife on the Fixer Upper tour (sigh) so I can’t edit right now, so apologies if I have some grammar errors.

GK4Herd - thanks for your on-the-scene view of this set-up! Watching a little of the later games on Stadium: they do a good job (TV) of keeping the screen filled with the court. When they cut to the foul shot from behind the shooter, you can see the football seating, but it is very distant. Didn’t hear any conflicting noise from the other court. The buzzer is weird. We should be fine. Fresh legs and hungry attitude should be the diff vs UTSA.
We owe them one!
Go Herd

It wouldn't shock me to see UTSA come out and take it to us early. We'll have to get used to the enviornment and sight lines. I hope DD has them fired up. The UTSA coach said he thinks they played bad against us as well when they won, I got a sense of a little over confidence on his part; so we'll see how this plays out. Them losing their leading scorer obviously hurts. Go Herd!

I was there as well, sitting next to GK for a period of time. I pretty much agree with his assessment.
Overall it was a good experience. Not nearly what I or we feared. I think all will be good. Yes, the football sidelines are quite a distance from the basket but it didn't seem to bother the shooters at all. It is very similar to other venues of this type, such as the Alamodome etc.

But there you have it...my take. I have a video of the setup I’ll try to post later if I can figure out the whole hosting thing. I’m getting ready to take off for Waco to take my wife on the Fixer Upper tour (sigh) so I can’t edit right now, so apologies if I have some grammar errors.[/QUOTE]

Thats a pretty good tour. If you have not been go into Dallas for the Book dipository building from the killing of JFK. That is really cool museum.

But there you have it...my take. I have a video of the setup I’ll try to post later if I can figure out the whole hosting thing. I’m getting ready to take off for Waco to take my wife on the Fixer Upper tour (sigh) so I can’t edit right now, so apologies if I have some grammar errors.

Thats a pretty good tour. If you have not been go into Dallas for the Book dipository building from the killing of JFK. That is really cool museum.[/QUOTE]

I've done that a couple of times but was considering going again. I brought my metal detector and was going to search for that mystery bullet on the grassy knoll.

Thats a pretty good tour. If you have not been go into Dallas for the Book dipository building from the killing of JFK. That is really cool museum.[/QUOTE]

Hey Houston....I did the Fixer Upper with Anne & our daughter. I enjoyed it...mostly the homemade ice cream. But you better go to the ATM and get an extra $300.....Everything in the gift shop is higher than a Texas Cowboy at the Dallas State Fair. I also enjoyed touring Baylor University and eating at a famous Waco restaurant (????) that sells great Que & large brisket. I ordered the small plate.....and was stuffed.

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte

It sounds like (and looks like) this place would be a great place for the C-USA FOOTBALL championship game if it were going to be played on a neutral field. Frisco sounds like a cool place... stadium is beautiful... airport access is good... BUT ITS A FOOTBALL FACILITY!!!

It looks absolutely BUSH LEAGUE (Texas reference duely noted) for basketball. I could care less about the sound issues - it looks like an AAU tournament. There is a really good reason why this is the first time that a conference has had games going on simultaneously - because it is a STUPID idea. It reminds me of an even worse version of the old ETSU mini-dome we used to play in back in the SoCon days.

I know it was only for the first round and quarter finals... are they going to reconfigure the setup for the rest of the games after the players have somewhat gotten used to the terrible backdrops? Not suggesting that they do that... but based on the demonstrated IQ of the people in charge of our conference, I think it is a likely scenario!

That being said... GO HERD!!!! Play well today and give yourselves a chance to be our first NCAA team in 30 years tomorrow!!!

It sounds like (and looks like) this place would be a great place for the C-USA FOOTBALL championship game if it were going to be played on a neutral field. Frisco sounds like a cool place... stadium is beautiful... airport access is good... BUT ITS A FOOTBALL FACILITY!!!

It looks absolutely BUSH LEAGUE (Texas reference duely noted) for basketball. I could care less about the sound issues - it looks like an AAU tournament. There is a really good reason why this is the first time that a conference has had games going on simultaneously - because it is a STUPID idea. It reminds me of an even worse version of the old ETSU mini-dome we used to play in back in the SoCon days.

I know it was only for the first round and quarter finals... are they going to reconfigure the setup for the rest of the games after the players have somewhat gotten used to the terrible backdrops? Not suggesting that they do that... but based on the demonstrated IQ of the people in charge of our conference, I think it is a likely scenario!

That being said... GO HERD!!!! Play well today and give yourselves a chance to be our first NCAA team in 30 years tomorrow!!!
The players have had absolutely no problem with the backdrops. In fact, they are quite happy. I'm here and I have talked to them. The fans have enjoyed it as well.
I haven't been in the arena yet this morning but feel sure they will NOT reconfigure anything. There is no need to.
I have only 2 negatives. I wish they would have had men and women at the same time so I could have been able to see every game. The second is, the large screens in the corner that provide video, only display the time and score. There is no personal foul, scoring info on there.
I spoke to the commissioner last night and mentioned that to her. She said others had commented and it did seems to be the biggest issue. She assured me they would look into make that better next year.

Thats a pretty good tour. If you have not been go into Dallas for the Book dipository building from the killing of JFK. That is really cool museum.

I've done that a couple of times but was considering going again. I brought my metal detector and was going to search for that mystery bullet on the grassy knoll.[/QUOTE]

Funny one GK......any luck on the Grassy Knoll?

Zilla22

I really have seen no problems with this set up. It looks fine on TV. None of the doomsday scenarios about leak over noise and whistles actually happened.

I do agree that the schedule would have been better if they had played a women's game on court B and a men's game on court A, so everybody could watch the whole event, but, of course, that moves 2 of the men's games to a workday Thursday afternoon.

The only legitimate gripe I see anyone having relates to playing a day game after a night game today (and the same situation for the women tomorrow) . That had nothing to do with the facility, but with CBS, which had a "hard commitment" to the Mountain West at 9 ET. They could have played the men's games today on Court A with about a 4 ET tip off for game one, and let the women use Court B whenever. I'm hopeful we find a TV partner that actually wants us for next year.

an empty shell casings was already found on the grassy knoll in the 80s, a .221? It had teeth indentations on it where someone had bit down on it. James Files, a Chicago mafia hit man and CIA asset, claimed to hAve made the fatal headshot w a .221 fireball behind the knoll and bit down on the shell casing because he liked the taste of gunpowder and set it on a post and walked away. He is still alive today.

Game day! Championship Saturday 2 years in a row. Can we get off the schnied? Sooooo close to getting an invite to the Big Dance! Can any of you on the scene in Frisco give us a sense of the vibe the Herd has going into tonite?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT