ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game

Kind of hoping this wasn't going to be a lame duck season, but I suppose I should be realistic about what to expect given the toxicity that we were swimming in by the end of last season.

Did the offense look as anemic as we've been treated to of late? Anything to be optimistic about with the new system? QB's? Transfers?

Well, 5 posts in a day old thread about the spring game and no glowing review from Perkins tells me what we looked like.

No mention of the Tulsa QB transfer on the news, looked like the Morehead kid was better than Pennington. Better hope the Wake Forest kid comes in and can play.

Well, 5 posts in a day old thread about the spring game and no glowing review from Perkins tells me what we looked like.

No mention of the Tulsa QB transfer on the news, looked like the Morehead kid was better than Pennington. Better hope the Wake Forest kid comes in and can play.

He was out of town else he probably would've chimed in.

A couple week ago I said bowl eligibility this season would be Huff's best season as our head coach... After Saturday, I stand by that statement... If what we had out there is all we've got, 6 wins would be a miracle. Let's hope we were missing some guys and we show a lot of improvement between April 22 and Aug 31.

A couple week ago I said bowl eligibility this season would be Huff's best season as our head coach... After Saturday, I stand by that statement... If what we had out there is all we've got, 6 wins would be a miracle. Let's hope we were missing some guys and we show a lot of improvement between April 22 and Aug 31.
LB Tah Mac Bright and WR Antonio Robinson hit the portal this morning. So we have less players at two lacking positions.

• Sad
Reactions: jeremycriss
I see what you are saying. The talent we have out there probably equals 4 to 6 wins, Getting to 6 would be an accomplishment for CH, on field.

But who is responsible for the talent we have. CH. Which means CH has already failed as a recruiter and retainer of talent.

24 is going to be the year where we see the consequences of non-leadership. Saving a rumored $400K at the cost of further program decline. The next coaching hire has to be a perfect one. And non-leader CS will be the one making it.

Reactions: Elkview
Did the offense look as anemic as we've been treated to of late? Anything to be optimistic about with the new system? QB's? Transfers?
The final score, in a scrimmage that is set up to favor offense, was 14-7.

I see what you are saying. The talent we have out there probably equals 4 to 6 wins, Getting to 6 would be an accomplishment for CH, on field.

But who is responsible for the talent we have. CH. Which means CH has already failed as a recruiter and retainer of talent.

24 is going to be the year where we see the consequences of non-leadership. Saving a rumored $400K at the cost of further program decline. The next coaching hire has to be a perfect one. And non-leader CS will be the one making it.
Agreed... Where this program is now is the fault of our current administration and coaching staff. I never thought I would leave a spring game and think, "We aren't a lock to beat Stony Brook" but here we are.

In December it looks like we are in for a full on blow-up and rebuild unless something drastic changes between now and August.

The final score, in a scrimmage that is set up to favor offense, was 14-7.

Agreed... Where this program is now is the fault of our current administration and coaching staff. I never thought I would leave a spring game and think, "We aren't a lock to beat Stony Brook" but here we are.

In December it looks like we are in for a full on blow-up and rebuild unless something drastic changes between now and August.
This is what happens when those making the decision don't do their homework. They liked the name, the school and how he was supposedly the best recruiter in the country. Yeah, he can recruit anyone to Bama, not hard. Recruiting to Marshall and Huntington, WV, an entirely different story. Add in no HC experience, very few connections to experienced coaches for staff appointments and growing NIL movement, and we are in a tough spot.
I swear to golly, if our next HC is a career D1 assistant with no HC experience on any level, and no solid connections to coaches, I'll scream - IDIOTS!

We are all having the right discussion. This year is, probably, a write-off. While we can have discussions on the individual games, individual players, and so on, but we all have our eyes on the prize, the Post CH Era of MU football (and, hopefully, the Post CS Era of MU athletics). That should be the focus of all of us for the next period.

I hate to be this way but the longer I sat there on Saturday and watched the more convinced I became that we are in big big trouble this year. If we can somehow manage 6 wins it will be a miracle. I think Cole is our best option at QB and Colin should be #2. Not sure about the WR yet but time will tell. I feel we will be decent at RB (Payne, Turner and Huston) so the whole thing will depend on the play of the OL. I watched them on Saturday and could not form an opinion as to whether or not we are any good or not. The defense didn't have a single player stand out so that really has me worried since we have been solid on defense for several years now. I didn't care for how the scrimmage was done, it seemed way to predictable and showed very little. I have been watching Marshall football for 52 years now and can't recall a time in those years where I was this unenthusiastic about the state of things. For the record I will continue to drive 2 hours each way , stop and get me a Stewarts hotdog for my pregame ritual and sit in the stands . Hopefully I will have something to cheer about but at this time I have my doubts.

I hate to be this way but the longer I sat there on Saturday and watched the more convinced I became that we are in big big trouble this year. If we can somehow manage 6 wins it will be a miracle. I think Cole is our best option at QB and Colin should be #2. Not sure about the WR yet but time will tell. I feel we will be decent at RB (Payne, Turner and Huston) so the whole thing will depend on the play of the OL. I watched them on Saturday and could not form an opinion as to whether or not we are any good or not. The defense didn't have a single player stand out so that really has me worried since we have been solid on defense for several years now. I didn't care for how the scrimmage was done, it seemed way to predictable and showed very little. I have been watching Marshall football for 52 years now and can't recall a time in those years where I was this unenthusiastic about the state of things. For the record I will continue to drive 2 hours each way , stop and get me a Stewarts hotdog for my pregame ritual and sit in the stands . Hopefully I will have something to cheer about but at this time I have my doubts.
Now this is dedication, 4 hours of driving and then 8 hours of Stewarts diarrhea!!!

We are all having the right discussion. This year is, probably, a write-off. While we can have discussions on the individual games, individual players, and so on, but we all have our eyes on the prize, the Post CH Era of MU football (and, hopefully, the Post CS Era of MU athletics). That should be the focus of all of us for the next period.
The AD may never recover from the damage CS has done. !!

no worse than the time I drank the faucet water in Mexico
Montezuma's Revenge

Melissa Mccarthy Poop GIF

The AD may never recover from the damage CS has done. !!
You think this is all because of Spears? Spears didn't hire Huff, Dan, decide to keep Dan, or hire Corny. The more I hear about things the more it's clear that Spears' hands have been pretty tied with MBB and football.

With MBB Spears was never going to be allowed to fire Dan and had Dan not stepped on himself with Brad Smith, he'd still be the HC. The decision for Corny to be the HCIW is one that has been in motion for several seasons and solidified last off season by those above Spears.

With football. Spears didn't hire Huff and as much as we wanted to let him go last season there's a lot going on here that was not advantageous to do so. Sure we can talk about how much of a dumpster fire this year might be, but from a financial and optics standpoint it just wasn't good. I know some will point to the long-term, but in reality Marshall is not losing it's core over Huff sucking. We've all been through the Snyder years and the aftermath of the crash. There's 15-19k that's going to be there no matter what.

To be honest if I were Spears I would have been backchanneling for another job and if I weren't able to have major input on the future of football during or at the end of this season then I am out because it's clear for the most part he's Athletic Director in name only when it comes to the two top revenue sports.

Marshall has had a leadership problem at the top since Dr. Kopp passed away. All the recent success we've enjoyed have been from things he set in motion. I am not a fan of Gilbert and I think people fell for him because he showed up at games, but to me it was much like a politician. Spears brought WBB a conference championship and an NCAA tournament appearance and used a model we all have clamored for for a while. So there's evidence that he knows what he's doing.

The question that remains is will he be permitted to do the same for football at seasons' end. If Huff gets any kind of extension for anything less than a conference championship then I am personally done.

Last edited:
You think this is all because of Spears? Spears didn't hire Huff, Dan, decide to keep Dan, or hire Corny. The more I hear about things the more it's clear that Spears' hands have been pretty tied with MBB and football.

With MBB Spears was never going to be allowed to fire Dan and had Dan not stepped on himself with Brad Smith, he'd still be the HC. The decision for Corny to be the HCIW is one that has been in motion for several seasons and solidified last off season by those above Spears.

With football. Spears didn't hire Huff and as much as we wanted to let him go last season there's a lot going on here that was not advantageous to do so. Sure we can talk about how much of a dumpster fire this year might be, but from a financial and optics standpoint it just wasn't good. I know some will point to the long-term, but in reality Marshall is not losing it's core over Huff sucking. We've all been through the Snyder years and the aftermath of the crash. There's 15-19k that's going to be there no matter what.

To be honest if I were Spears I would have been backchanneling for another job and if I weren't able to have major input on the future of football during or at the end of this season then I am out because it's clear for the most part he's Athletic Director in name only when it comes to the two top revenue sports.

Marshall has had a leadership problem at the top since Dr. Kopp passed away. All the recent success we've enjoyed have been from things he set in motion. I am not a fan of Gilbert and I think people fell for him because he showed up at games, but to me it was much like a politician. Spears brought WBB a conference championship and an NCAA tournament appearance and used a model we all have clamored for for a while. So there's evidence that he knows what he's doing.

The question that remains is will he be permitted to do the same for football at seasons' end. If Huff gets any kind of extension for anything less than a conference championship then I am personally done.
The HFC and MBB coach answer to the president. Idk if Corny got that in his contract or not
Spears has the rest of the crew

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Don’t mind Sam, he’s had a rough year….after game 1 last year he said football wouldn’t win another game….
And all winter he said Dan will leave when he says so….
And last year we all remember the baseball stadium wasn’t being built….

So forgive him while he’s out feeding the cattle

I couldn't agree with this more.

Everyone is quick to blame Spears, he didn't hire any of the coaches everyone wants gone.
I also agree, it's doubtful how much hiring power for football and basketball Spears has. I doubt he would have hired internally, most AD's want to hire their own selections. However, Dan has been a control freak so he was the one who annointed his successor.
Huff wanted out, but firing him over forcing him to actually be good, would be a bad move.
Huff HAS to do well this season for his resume. I do believe he is at the end of his contract, so Huff is either leaving on his own because he did well enough to leave, or MU simply won't retain him.
It makes financial sense and with MU, you have to think money first.

Bleeds is right. Spears hired a coach who did exactly what the fans wanted her to do (yet, many were upset with her, which is dumb).
It's just gonna be awful if he has an eye for a potential successful HC and is blackballed by the MU BoG.

It's not going to matter, given the portal, MU may have a brand new roster a day before the first game.
Yes. I know that. Additionally, I can’t tell you when any spring game ever showcased our “talent”. The spring game has always been about playing under classman, walk ons, and those with not much experience.

Reactions: Herdguy04
Of course we must blame non-leader CS. This career #2 man took the job knowing the conditions laid out for him. We will never know how many leaders turned down the job rather than accept that the cabal, and not himself, actually is in charge.

The cabal hired CH and the cabal hired CS to be its frontman.

Fire both.

e n
Of course we must blame non-leader CS. This career #2 man took the job knowing the conditions laid out for him. We will never know how many leaders turned down the job rather than accept that the cabal, and not himself, actually is in charge.

The cabal hired CH and the cabal hired CS to be its frontman.

Fire both.
were you not impressed when the baseball stadium that would never happen was completed? you seemed as confident as usual on that. we have all come to realize that for what you lack in knowledge, you make up for with confidence. bad combination.

The last men's and women's basketball hires seem to indicated that the Brad Smith philosophy seems to be to not lavishly spend on athletic salaries at the same time he is trying to balance the university budget. I respect this. My curiosity is what this looks like with a football hire?

The last men's and women's basketball hires seem to indicated that the Brad Smith philosophy seems to be to not lavishly spend on athletic salaries at the same time he is trying to balance the university budget. I respect this. My curiosity is what this looks like with a football hire?

As we all saw with coach Caldwell, you can hire a brilliant coach who does wonders with your program, overachieves, and they bolt immediately after.

MU doesn't have the budget to just toss money around like the P5 elites do. Every successful HC is being scouted by a higher program and with that, MU has to be proactive in scouting from a lower division, just in case the current HC is hired away.

It's also evidence (at least with Caldwell), you're going to want more emphasis on coaching over recruiting. Recruiting DOES help, but look at what she did in one year, without her type of players.
Recruiting will be easier for her because of brand name, but her ability to coach gives her an edge over those who just rely on talent to win.

So, imagine this kind of gamble, almost every 2 years with a HC in football.

Welcome to the new college sports.

Reactions: RhinoD
As we all saw with coach Caldwell, you can hire a brilliant coach who does wonders with your program, overachieves, and they bolt immediately after.

MU doesn't have the budget to just toss money around like the P5 elites do. Every successful HC is being scouted by a higher program and with that, MU has to be proactive in scouting from a lower division, just in case the current HC is hired away.

It's also evidence (at least with Caldwell), you're going to want more emphasis on coaching over recruiting. Recruiting DOES help, but look at what she did in one year, without her type of players.
Recruiting will be easier for her because of brand name, but her ability to coach gives her an edge over those who just rely on talent to win.

So, imagine this kind of gamble, almost every 2 years with a HC in football.

Welcome to the new college sports.
It's the great philosophical argument... Would you rather go a boom or bust 10-2, 11-1 every few years and replace your head coach (UCF)... Or would you rather be a consistent 7-5, 8-4 every year (Marshall).

We got rid of Holiday because we no longer wanted to be the consistent 7-5, 8-4 every season. Unfortunately, we haven't gone the right direction the past two years and this fall isnt looking great at this juncture either.

Reactions: Herdguy04
Sam, you’re just waaaay off on Spears. I doubt many of us on here have met the man (I have not). And I’ll bet most have not met Brad Smith (I have). From your throne in the internet Heaven, you have looked down at MU and found that, much to your shock, it isn’t perfect! And, with your immaculate gift of hindsight, you pass judgement on Herd athletics after the fact. Well guess what? You have reserved that gift selfishly.

You would have Marshall ONLY hire AD’s with proven AD experience, who have had years of success hiring football & basketball coaches who went on to achieve gridiron & hardwood glory in post season championships!
Guess what, Einstein? We can’t afford them, and even if we could why would they lower themselves to accept an offer?
So, We are Marshall, where we have no other option but to sift through the group of asst AD’s, trying to find a few chips of gold.
imo too soon to pass judgement from on high about CS. If BS believes he is doing an adequate job shepherding our athletics programs to higher ground, that’s more than fine by me. So, Lord Sam, focus on the rest of the earth’s problems! Leave the Herd alone….

e n

were you not impressed when the baseball stadium that would never happen was completed? you seemed as confident as usual on that.
Yes, I was only right the first 1000 times the powers that be in that particular era announced a "done deal" baseball park, only to quietly cancel it later. I, and many others, simply warned about the same ole stuff when the usual posters cut-and-pasted the latest press release, without acknowledging that we had heard all of this before.

And I am very impressed with the building of the baseball park. And with the man who made sure it got done. Big Jim Justice. Thanks, Big Jim.

Yes, I was only right the first 1000 times the powers that be in that particular era announced a "done deal" baseball park, only to quietly cancel it later. I, and many others, simply warned about the same ole stuff when the usual posters cut-and-pasted the latest press release, without acknowledging that we had heard all of this before.

And I am very impressed with the building of the baseball park. And with the man who made sure it got done. Big Jim Justice. Thanks, Big Jim.
I’ll agree that CS had nothing to do w getting the baseball stadium done, it wasn’t Big Jim Justices money either. It was tax payers money Jim gave Marshall. IMO he gets too much credit. Btw when was the last time Big Jim gave any of HIS Money to Marshall?
The kind of guy CS is, I m sure he’ll take all the credit he can. That’s why he fired Jeff Wagner CS could not bear sharing the spotlight

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT