ADVERTISEMENT

Statement from Aaron Goebbel on Today's Attendance

Aaron hasn’t worked for Marshall for about 6 months now. He works in D.C. for Shaw Turf.

Very true, but he worked in the Athletic Dept for a long time. It is not that fart fetched to draw the conclusion his attitude is shared by those currently employed at Marshall. Hamrick put a memo out about a season or two ago echoing this sentiment.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Yes, but it’s still part of their compensation packages.

How absurdly stupid can you be while defending your heroes?

Just because a person has a bonus in their contract if they reach a certain goal doesn’t mean they are paid better. If John has a $15 million bonus if he wins the FBS national championship, does that mean he is the highest paid coach in the country this year?

You really should listen to your far more intelligent superior and stay off of this board. Spew your absurdly stupid sh!t on the paid board.

How absurdly stupid can you be while defending your heroes?

Just because a person has a bonus in their contract if they reach a certain goal doesn’t mean they are paid better. If John has a $15 million bonus if he wins the FBS national championship, does that mean he is the highest paid coach in the country this year?

You really should listen to your far more intelligent superior and stay off of this board. Spew your absurdly stupid sh!t on the paid board.

I’m still trying to figure out if you changed your last name or have a catfish account on Facebook.

You know how dumb that statement sounds now that I read the comments. You cannot sit there with a straight face and tell me that Marshall faces more obstacles now than we did in 1997 when we made the jump. We didn't just have good seasons for a transition team. We straight up dominated the competition.

Marshall is its own worst enemy. How many decades was "WE PLAY FOR CHAMPIONSHIPS" our motto, mantra, or whatever you want to call it. Now they want us to come to grips with the fact that existence is so tough that we can no longer expect to compete for division and conference titles in this horrible conference we play in.

Everyone in that entire athletic department should be let go. If this is the prevailing attitude. I don't care if we fail as long as the leadership of our program is out there busting their butts trying to be the absolute best at the end of every single season. Not sitting there saying that it's just too difficult. Screw that garbage. I want an Athletic Director that has a George Steinbrenner mentality. Win at all costs. That is all that matters. Second place is just the first loser and we didn't even play for second place.

What a crock this is. I'll tell you something else. You superfans are the true problem with this program. You have made this so personal and turned this stuff into "family" and made these coaches your idols and friends that you will accept any product they put on the field because you're being a true fan. No you're an enabler. You're the friend that refuses to tell their friend that they have a drinking problem and just allows them to drink themselves to death. You're the girl that refuses to tell her fat friend not to wear certain clothes and then she gets made fun of out there wearing something 3 sizes too small looking like mashed potatoes shoved in a tube sock.

You honestly don't care if we win or lose. You are just happy to be there. You could be just fine being lovable losers. Well the rest of us are not wired that way. We want the absolute best for our team and our university. We want to win. Right now it appears that the man heading things up is not getting the most out of our program. He is holding it back. He has grown lazy and complacent. He could really give two craps about the fans. He honestly believes that we're there for him not that he's there for us. You think I'm wrong? Then he wouldn't be shutting the offense down in the 2nd quarters sitting on 10 point leads for 2+ hours every Saturday. He'd put on a show and make sure that we not only won the game, but put on a show for the fans. His other job is to make the program attractive to the outsider and to draw more eyes. He hasn't done that. He's done the exact opposite. He's done the unforgivable of alienating his core fans and created a product that no one linked to Marshall would have the most remote interest in watching.

I don't care if you are a zealot, an average fan, or a hater. You can not sit there and not realize that we have major problems. Somewhere something is broken. I have been going to games since 2000 (My first ever game was 2000 Buffalo). I cannot remember a crowd as bad as yesterday. Not ever. Even during the Snyder years we had decent enough crowds that still held out hope. Somehow Hamrick and Holliday have taken any hope away.

See the difference between Mark and Doc is Mark was just a bad coach. He wanted desperately to be good. He just didn't have the ability. Doc has shown that he has the ability to have this team at the top. Now we have him admitting that he is doing ball control out of design. He said it back in 2015, Cramsey last year came out and said the goal was to run under so many plays (can't remember the number it was 60-70), and then you have Doc a few weeks back saying he was doing this in order to protect the defense and then gave 2012 as an example. Well Doc you forgot about 2013 and 2014 where had one of the best offenses in the country along with a good to even great at times defense.

I really am tired of being told I should just temper my expectations. You know who says that stuff. Losers. Lazy losers that have just accepted their lot in life and have no desire to do the hard things in order to better their situations. They're just victims of a system that won't allow them to improve past where they are. Forget all that crap. Boo hoo. Woe as me. Drop down to FCS and stop asking me for money if that is going to be our mentality going forward.

There is zero passion for winning in that Shewey Building. If there was they wouldn't be making excuses. And yes I know Mr. Goebble left Marshall around six months ago, but Hamrick said as much in a memo to the fans a season or two ago. On top of that Goebbel worked for Marshall for a pretty long time. His opinion has been shaped and molded by an environment he worked in.

Everyone in that athletic department should be absolutely disgusted that they got dominated by Charlotte not once, but twice in the last four years.

Last edited:
I’m still trying to figure out if you changed your last name or have a catfish account on Facebook.

It’s really not something that should take you “still trying to figure out.”

I’ve never used my real last name on social media, but that name is a legally registered DBA.

Since college football is solely entertainment, folks shouldn’t complain when others choose to not attend. I was a season ticket holder for years before moving to Florida. I’ve always thought that if you put an entertaining product on the field, folks will come to watch. Doc football is certainly not entertaining enough to draw a good crowd. Poor product= poor attendance and entertaining product = better attendance. As far as those expecting a Tesla for a Ford price; you also can’t be satisfied with a sputtering rusty old Mustang for a Expedition price.

Fans are not buy the Product because has accomplish nothing to what it’s history clearly showed! Win is everything!
It will take buying Marshall outright to cure the WV Bar Assoc controlled legislature out of this situation.

I'm trying to just figure out exactly when winning championships became a "decades old expectations". I thought championships were awarded annually to the top football team in each conference, so aren't they still obtainable and therefore a reasonable expectation?

I'm trying to just figure out exactly when winning championships became a "decades old expectations". I thought championships were awarded annually to the top football team in each conference, so aren't they still obtainable and therefore a reasonable expectation?

Evidently not for Marshall. Us fans should not hold championship aspirations anymore because times are just too darn tough now.

It’s really not something that should take you “still trying to figure out.”

I’ve never used my real last name on social media, but that name is a legally registered DBA.
Coach watch out. There is a rule the site owner has about using someone's personal info.

I will issue you a damn warning if I have to. You are walking on thin ice, doing that stuff. I don't care if you are a moderator and have connections to Cam Henderson himself.

Reactions: riflearm2
Do you have marching orders from the AD?

Yeah. He’s asked me to ask you to about being a consultant. He’s been impressed with your message board banter and feels like you know how to do his job better than his own self.

LOL, summed up @Aaron Perkins @Josh Stowers @The Real SamC perfectly.

Any other loveable losers on here, my apologies for leaving you out. Those three are just the most annoying.

I missed you at the tailgate on Saturday. I’m sure you were at the game though.

Maybe I’ll see you at the basketball game on Wednesday. I’m sure with you being such an avid supporter of Marshall Athletics that you’ll be there.

Reactions: Aaron Perkins
I went yesterday, and stayed the whole game, all the way to the end of regulation. When it went to overtime, I just got up and walked to the car. I could hear Marshall winning over the loudspeakers, so I guess that was cool, but I just really wanted to get a cup of coffee and I was bored out of my mind.

I don't know if an ex-employee of the AD shaming folks on Facebook is going to turn very many hearts, but I have sympathies with folks who didn't make it out to the game yesterday.

Yeah. He’s asked me to ask you to about being a consultant. He’s been impressed with your message board banter and feels like you know how to do his job better than his own self.
Well, lets get the meeting going. First thing I would tell him is to do his job and stay off the message boards.

I missed you at the tailgate on Saturday. I’m sure you were at the game though.

Maybe I’ll see you at the basketball game on Wednesday. I’m sure with you being such an avid supporter of Marshall Athletics that you’ll be there.

I can tell you that you can attend every game and yet you still suck. You've already been called out for trying to use game attendance as a metric for determining one's fandom.

I can also tell you that I spent a considerable amount of money at Marshall earning my BS and MS degrees, during which I earned a lifetime pass to have an opinion on ANYTHING Marshall related.

Lastly, I can also tell you that you mean nothing to Doc or Hamrick in the grand scheme of things. You can volunteer to be their puppet all you want. You're still a loser who thinks he's someone special because someone inside Shewey lets you sneak in from time to time, sniffing jocks.

Reactions: mubaseballking
I can tell you that you can attend every game and yet you still suck. You've already been called out for trying to use game attendance as a metric for determining one's fandom.

I can also tell you that I spent a considerable amount of money at Marshall earning my BS and MS degrees, during which I earned a lifetime pass to have an opinion on ANYTHING Marshall related.

Lastly, I can also tell you that you mean nothing to Doc or Hamrick in the grand scheme of things. You can volunteer to be their puppet all you want. You're still a loser who thinks he's someone special because someone inside Shewey lets you sneak in from time to time, sniffing jocks.

Like I said, I’m sure I’ll see you Wednesday.

Reactions: Aaron Perkins
I cant speak for anyone else on here, I only know one of you outside of the message board world, but I can give you some perspective from my personal experience.

I live almost 6 hours from Huntington. I have spent more than $3500 this year on Marshall football trips (four home games, one away at Charlotte). I have never, and will never, root for Marshall to lose. I support the team.

That said... The product that I have paid to watch has been subpar. Its mediocre, and has been mediocre since Cato graduated. I totally understand why people aren't showing up anymore.

If you went to a "nice" restaurant and you got mediocre-to-awful food multiple times over 4-5 years... You would quit going to that restaurant.

Thats Marshall football right now... We are Denny's and people are done paying for Ruth Chris to receive a moons over my-hammy.

A sod company - he lays sod , thats a big change.

He’s an account rep for Maryland and D.C., I believe. And it’s not sod, it’s a form of field turf. The Ravens use Shaw Sports Turf in their facilities.

More like he comes to your site and handles all questions about pricing, etc. He then keeps a working relationship with the clients in his region. Not a thing like what you described.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT