ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Trading & Investments

WV-FAN

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 12, 2007
Please keep it civil and the bullshit out. Again, please. This thread is for stock trading and investment information only; no politics unless political decisions may factually affect the market or topic at hand. A few have been discussing stocks and investing in political threads so let's remove it from those and keep it here. Share information you may have; it's up to the individual to do their own due diligence and use the information to their benefit.

@riflearm2 @-CarlHungus-

Stay put right now where you at with prior ivestements. Go heavier on cash and very safe investments right now on anything new.

I don’t market time or trade individual stocks. My lone exception to that was selling a lot in early COVID...I’ve already bought back in. I sold off about 30% of my equities and mainly tax loss harvested. I didn’t time it perfectly but came out ahead. It was totally against my nature and personal finance strategy but when I saw asymptomatic spread reports and saw Wuhan look like a war zone I thought this didn’t look like the flu.

I mostly just follow the advice of Jack Bogle and The White Coat Investor.

No expert to say the least but bought Freeport mcmoran and under armour Thursday. Both more speculative, one based on hopeful global re-expansion and one based on idiots blowing their stimulus money.
Long term I put most of my extra money after maxing out my sep ira into s&p index fund.

Stay put right now where you at with prior ivestements. Go heavier on cash and very safe investments right now on anything new.

I tend to agree. Im still maxing out my 401k, cash balance defined benefit plan, and back door Roth and putting it total market index funds mostly.

Excess cash I usually dump straight away in the market (index funds) but I’m holding cash and waiting a bit right now. Will probably use it to do some home repairs or pay a little extra mortgage off.

I think my taxes are about to go up significantly with a Biden win, so will have to figure out where that puts me.

I have two separate investment accounts that I add to monthly, auto-drafted directly from my checking account. They are long-term investments that are both a mix of different types of funds. I also invest in a variety of ways in my 401k...small cap, mid cap, large cap, cash, company stock, etc. I have a Scottrade account from about 20 years ago in which I own about 500,000 shares of one penny stock. I don’t do day trading anymore because it can be very addictive. And this is kind of an aside, but if you’re able to work for someone who provides stock awards as part of your incentive, then take advantage of it. I get a certain % of my salary awarded to me every year in company stock...and that costs me nothing.

One thing I’ll say is that investing is a long-term strategy. You have to pick a strategy and almost forget about it. And it’s never too late to start.

And this is kind of an aside, but if you’re able to work for someone who provides stock awards as part of your incentive, then take advantage of it. I get a certain % of my salary awarded to me every year in company stock...and that costs me nothing.

My father in law was awarded shares in the company he worked for and retired with several million. Of course, it helped tremendously that he started with Cintas back in the early 80's when they were still a relatively small company and then stayed with them up until about 2015.

My father in law was awarded shares in the company he worked for and retired with several million. Of course, it helped tremendously that he started with Cintas back in the early 80's when they were still a relatively small company and then stayed with them up until about 2015.

I have a lot of incentive to stay with my company. I’ll just leave it at that.

It’s still a good buy. It was a better buy 3 months ago.
Yeah, I purchased three shares in early May and one in late May, I know, I am a big spender on your company. :) Everyone offering commission free trades is certainly nice for those who want to buy a few shares here, and a few shares there of multiple companies.

Yeah, I purchased three shares in early May and one in late May, I know, I am a big spender on your company. :) Everyone offering commission free trades is certainly nice for those who want to buy a few shares here, and a few shares there of multiple companies.

Which company are we talking about, BB&T?

I scraped together some play money and threw in my old etrade account for shits and grins and have been buying/selling over the past two months. I've doubled the investment as of today. My issue is getting into a good stock that keeps rolling after I hit my target and selling. If I'd have kept it in ZM, Tesla, and AAPL, I'd have tripled my original investment vs. doubling it. I was in and out of the latter two a month before they did the 5 way split. Bird in the hand, though, I guess . . .

I'm back in Apple, Pinterest, and Netlist right now. Apple's new i-phone is coming out tomorrow and historically that stock has taken off after introduction of an upgrade; it's up $6 today. Pinterest because of a partnership with Shopify and COVID; users increased by 40% in 2nd quarter vs prior year. Netlist, the only penny stock I've messed with, won a patent lawsuit against Google is awaiting settlement which is suppose to occur in November. It's trading at ~70 cents/share now; I'm in at .45, 55, and .65 and have read anticipated pps of anywhere from $1 to $20. PLEASE let me see $20. Ha.

I'm not day trading, just watching for stocks that have the potential to make short term runs. I try to get in and out after hopefully making 20%+. I'll probably take the earnings if/when I see them from Pinterest and hold Apple through hopefully a nice run. I'll hold Netlist until the settlement and maybe longer.

Market is going to dip 2 to 3% closer to the election or shortly there after. Odds are the election is going to courts and will run into December or even January, unless one side wins 40 states or more. That will cause short term volatility in the market.

If Trump wins, you know the direction.

If Biden wins, money will shift to govt and govt entities that spend. Look for permitting to stop at least in the short term starting 1s quarter next year if wins. Will make builders nervous

My recommendation, as was given to me, is get out of foreign stocks as much as you can and shift to USA. Regardless of the winner. Europe will be slower to recover as will rest of world. They are more likely for large shut down second wave attacks of virus if they happen. We overall have a better economy and more dynamic.
Also, USA is cracking down on foreign entities and trying to bring more things to USA. That is reality regardless of opponent elected.

Defense spending is going to shift from fighting global war on terror back to more cold war type spending. Geared to fighting large standing armies, navies, etc. Not terrorist. That will be there but, larger scale weapons systems.

Right now safe and cash are a good place to be short term.

Market is going to dip 2 to 3% closer to the election or shortly there after. Odds are the election is going to courts and will run into December or even January, unless one side wins 40 states or more. That will cause short term volatility in the market.

If Trump wins, you know the direction.

If Biden wins, money will shift to govt and govt entities that spend. Look for permitting to stop at least in the short term starting 1s quarter next year if wins. Will make builders nervous

My recommendation, as was given to me, is get out of foreign stocks as much as you can and shift to USA. Regardless of the winner. Europe will be slower to recover as will rest of world. They are more likely for large shut down second wave attacks of virus if they happen. We overall have a better economy and more dynamic.
Also, USA is cracking down on foreign entities and trying to bring more things to USA. That is reality regardless of opponent elected.

Defense spending is going to shift from fighting global war on terror back to more cold war type spending. Geared to fighting large standing armies, navies, etc. Not terrorist. That will be there but, larger scale weapons systems.

Right now safe and cash are a good place to be short term.
I'll keep Netlist through the election until it hits whatever, not overly concerned with it. Will sell the rest off prior.

Same with my retirement account, will move everything to money market prior to election then take a wait and see approach. If Trump wins, I'll go back into what I've riskily put everything into, a single aggressive fund, T. Rowe Price Blue Chip Growth. It's done extremely well over the prior couple years. My investment choices are limited in the retirement account, have probably 2 dozen funds to choose from. I did have it in a managed account but after doing some researching found that I could be upwards of 15% to 20% ahead of where it was had I invested it in the fund I'm in now. Risky, yes. It's had days when it dropped and days when it's jumped $5K or more.

Reactions: i am herdman
I'm back in Apple, Pinterest, and Netlist right now. Apple's new i-phone is coming out tomorrow and historically that stock has taken off after introduction of an upgrade; it's up $6 today.

I don't get into these Apple/Tesla/etc. stocks, because they require such a huge investment to make any worthwhile money. Apple is at $124. Even if you invest $50K in it, in order to see even a $5K return, you'd have to see a jump of $13/share. It just seems like a big investment for a small possible return.

Netlist, the only penny stock I've messed with, won a patent lawsuit against Google is awaiting settlement which is suppose to occur in November. It's trading at ~70 cents/share now; I'm in at .45, 55, and .65 and have read anticipated pps of anywhere from $1 to $20. PLEASE let me see $20. Ha.

I'm not familiar with Netlist at all, but I just invested $3K into it at $.702 to get 4267 shares. I didn't do it due to trusting you, but rather, I want to be able to talk shit to you daily on here if it bombs and I end up losing $3K.

I scraped together some play money and threw in my old etrade account for shits and grins and have been buying/selling over the past two months. I've doubled the investment as of today. My issue is getting into a good stock that keeps rolling after I hit my target and selling. If I'd have kept it in ZM, Tesla, and AAPL, I'd have tripled my original investment vs. doubling it. I was in and out of the latter two a month before they did the 5 way split. Bird in the hand, though, I guess . . .

I'm back in Apple, Pinterest, and Netlist right now. Apple's new i-phone is coming out tomorrow and historically that stock has taken off after introduction of an upgrade; it's up $6 today. Pinterest because of a partnership with Shopify and COVID; users increased by 40% in 2nd quarter vs prior year. Netlist, the only penny stock I've messed with, won a patent lawsuit against Google is awaiting settlement which is suppose to occur in November. It's trading at ~70 cents/share now; I'm in at .45, 55, and .65 and have read anticipated pps of anywhere from $1 to $20. PLEASE let me see $20. Ha.

I'm not day trading, just watching for stocks that have the potential to make short term runs. I try to get in and out after hopefully making 20%+. I'll probably take the earnings if/when I see them from Pinterest and hold Apple through hopefully a nice run. I'll hold Netlist until the settlement and maybe longer.
You should have purchased PENN when it was $4ish, my shares average out at $12.90. I am not sure when I am going to pullout, I did have a stop in at $55, however, I cancelled it during after hours after Trump was diagnosed with Covid and the stock market as starting to freak out a little bit. The last thing I wanted was for it to do a one day V and screw me over.

I sold my HOME stock back in June for $6.50 when it looked like it was going to shit, it is now nearly $20.

I don't get into these Apple/Tesla/etc. stocks, because they require such a huge investment to make any worthwhile money. Apple is at $124. Even if you invest $50K in it, in order to see even a $5K return, you'd have to see a jump of $13/share. It just seems like a big investment for a small possible return.

I'm not familiar with Netlist at all, but I just invested $3K into it at $.702 to get 4267 shares. I didn't do it due to trusting you, but rather, I want to be able to talk shit to you daily on here if it bombs and I end up losing $3K.
you're already up $55 on NLST! ha. if it tanks, it tanks. everything i've read indicates it'll go up to at least $1, probably much higher. if it explodes to $20 (lol, doubt it), you can pay to have a keg of beer delivered to my house.

i agree with you on the AAPL's/TSLA's. however, they were moving a while back. I bought APPL a week or so ago when it was at $113 only because I knew the new i-phone was coming out and the stock would take off. As you indicated, it's up to $124 and I'm up close to a grand. I typically look for stocks in the $20 to $70 or $80 range.

I'm not looking to get rich and I realize I'm going to pay short term gains tax, which sucks, but what the hell, it's fun.

you should have bought it when i mentioned it last week at .65, you'd be up ~$300. :eek:

It's up to .76 now. I am up about $225 since this time yesterday. I can't wait to buy you a round of Zima (do they still make that?)/

you should have bought it when i mentioned it last week at .65, you'd be up ~$300. :eek:

I’m down $170 on it now. What the fvck was I thinking taking investment advice from a guy who builds a deck four times bigger than his indoor living space.

I’m down $170 on it now. What the fvck was I thinking taking investment advice from a guy who builds a deck four times bigger than his indoor living space.
should have cashed out like i did at 80 cents. I'm up over 2 grand. sorry. buying back in, though, wanna sell?

stocks go up, stocks go down, then they go up again. gotta be lucky enough to hit the high and get back in on the dip. this is one of the few time's i've been that lucky. hang in there, though, grass hopper, you'll get it right some day.

you notice where PINS is since i posted about it? i'm still in it. up ~$10/share.

got out of apple for a small gain, too.

Last edited:
sold pins for over 20% gain. looking at both Activision and Zynga to dump those proceeds in to make another 20+%. not sure which yet but Zynga looks most promising. reminds me of my deck.

back in on @riflearm2's NLST for over 25K shares at .64. wish me and rifle luck (especially him so he can get back on top)!

wish me and rifle luck (especially him so he can get back on top)!

I prefer being on the bottom.

I think I am only down about $150 after today, but I believe I only bought $3K of it.

My issue is getting into a good stock that keeps rolling after I hit my target and selling. If I'd have kept it in ZM, Tesla, and AAPL, I'd have tripled my original investment vs. doubling it. I was in and out of the latter two a month before they did the 5 way split.
add another to that list: pinterest. bought in at $43.97, sold the other day at $52.65 for a 20% gain. it's busted out this morning up >$67. fvck!

Last edited:
Stock trading is becoming more and more popular these days. Because it is much easier to buy stocks and trade online just using your phone. You can literaly make millions just using a phone and an internet conection. Furthermore all those platforms have become more accesible for people from all around the world. I used to trade on stock market but I understood that you can't predict it because stock market is based on fundamental analysis, while forex is based on technique analysis. That is why better find a good forex broker and start trading.

Last edited:
They also do a great job of hiring veterans and spouses of veterans.

Reactions: mlblack16.
This is a good job for real by them. It's very rare when a company gives privilege to older people or veterans, offering them a work place. From the other hand, at this age, they should retire and offer their place to young people and students, who are only starting their way in life. I am young as well, but thankfully, I am a successful trader on Investous and can make enough money for myself on this. This is a very good income, but unfortunately not all the people know about this, or have enough knowledge to start it.

Last edited:
As you said, this topic can only serve to trust certain people, so I suggest you find your niche. If you love cars, then sell parts or other parts. If you love sports, that's the direction to go in. No risk. If you have a passion for stocks and cryptocurrency, then find those instruments and online platforms that will be the suitable options for you. I can recommend you to get help from https://mycryptomixer.com/ in this matter. This is precisely what I use and have had success with.

Last edited:

Uh, to make $5k on $50k the stock has to go up 10%, doesn’t matter if it’s a $100 stock or a $1 stock, so it shouldnt matter. The reason it does matter is a lot of people have your viewpoint.

This is why I wish Amazon would do a 10-1 or even a 100-1 split. With it being at $3,500 a lot of small retail investors that want to own some won’t buy any.

If you are holding Tesla I’d consider divesting. Musk will likely be selling 10% of his personally held Tesla stock to raise 15 billion for taxes that will be coming due because of some stock options that will need to be exercised soon. He is running a public poll on Twitter asking people if he should sell claiming he will abide by the results . So far the poll is running in favor of selling. Surely he wouldn’t or couldn’t liquidate all at once but this will drive prices down…especially since he’s stating publicly that Tesla stock is overinflated at the moment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT