ADVERTISEMENT

Store shelves are empty

I don't know about empty, but paying $10 for bacon kind of sucks. Where are you at and what is not there?

i_know_you_are_pee_wee_herman.gif

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Massive transportation issues. Shipping containers, trucks and truckers and rail shortages. It’s a vicious cycle that likely won’t end until Q3 of 2022 if then.

That’s the reason for bare store shelves.

Massive transportation issues. Shipping containers, trucks and truckers and rail shortages. It’s a vicious cycle that likely won’t end until Q3 of 2022 if then.

That’s the reason for bare store shelves.
who;s controlling a lot of that? It is not just transportation issues. Boards, electronics, etc. Worst backorders I have seen in our industry and I have been doing it 27 years.

I agree it is not going away anytime soon and we have a derelict in the White House and his family is likely to have been compromised by foreign entities which doesn't help.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I work in food manufacturing. So far we have been able to keep running full blast.

But it’s skin of our teeth sometimes on getting ingredients. Juggling things between facilities, having to find alternate suppliers. We used to keep 3-4 weeks of ingredient inventory on a lot of things, now we’d like to but we end up closer to 1-2 weeks.

If there’s much more of a disruption things could go downhill quick.

The disruption is in electronics - chips and parts used in auto manufacturing, medical supplies and devices; and many other items. Of course Wally World and the big box stores trying to get items in for Christmas. They carry more weight, thus can control what's loaded on containers; pushing other items and companies to bid for any open container space available.
In January, were paying $4500 for a 40 foot container. Last week, we paid $26,000.

The situation is getting worse. We haven’t had any stops yet, but we’ve been coming closer and closer.
Everything is so interconnected, a supply disruption one place can easily cascade and hit multiple manufacturers.
I wouldn’t panic, but I would (and do) have some extra non-perishable food and essentials, as I think we are going to see spotty inventories across the board starting pretty soon. Not as bad as when Covid first hit, but less reliable than now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT