ADVERTISEMENT

Sunbelt Conference Does Not

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Play soccer. Last conference championship was 2020. That may possibly alter any decision to go there. You may feel free to Goggle and confirm.

Play soccer. Last conference championship was 2020. That may possibly alter any decision to go there. You may feel free to Goggle and confirm.
Some of the SBC schools have talked about brining it back. Bringing in the reigning National Champ might influence them.

….that would be a headline:
Marshall declines to change conference affiliations, punts football & basketball to retain soccer membership in hollowed out CUSA….it could use shortening, but you get the point!

my headline would be...MU not stupid enough to join another ****ed up league after doing it once before.

No matter where we are, I’m sure our soccer home will be CUSA. Just like Sunbelt’s Coastal and Big 12’s WVU and SEC’s UK and South Carolina. We hold CUSA’s only team nation championship.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
If we go to SBC, I hope we don't, the CAA could be a soccer landing spot
The CAA would be a BIG step down in soccer. No reason we can't stay in CUSA. Coastal is already there. UK, South Carolina and WVU (next year) as well.

What's the move if we stay put in CUSA? Who do we add? Because right now we're looking at a conference of:
WKU
ODU
FIU
UTEP
La Tech
MTSU

Southern Miss is leaving for The SBC. We'd need three adds to get to 10. Five for divisional play.

Reactions: caliherd and RhinoD
The CAA would be a BIG step down in soccer. No reason we can't stay in CUSA. Coastal is already there. UK, South Carolina and WVU (next year) as well.

What's the move if we stay put in CUSA? Who do we add? Because right now we're looking at a conference of:
WKU
ODU
FIU
UTEP
La Tech
MTSU

Southern Miss is leaving for The SBC. We'd need three adds to get to 10. Five for divisional play.
This is absolutely spot on... If we change leagues it will be a football decision, period. Soccer will always be able to find a home, either the ACC, CAA, CUSA, wherever. That is the benefit of being national champions.

On the football side, the Sun Belt is way beyond the CUSA leftovers and any potential call ups.

Who would CUSA add to remain a league?

Liberty (who will bolt as soon as they can, IE UCF)
UMass (the worst team in FBS)
UConn (the second worst team in FBS)
JMU (not even FBS yet)
Missouri State (not even FBS yet)

Do any of those move the needle at all?... Maybe Liberty, but like I said they would not be in CUSA for long.

If our leaders in the Shewey Building can't see that CUSA is dead, we need new leadership in the Shewey Building.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan

the-goggles-they-do-nothing.jpg

With So. Miss potentially leaving for the SBC, CUSA is a putrid conference, even if we were able to add some trash teams. I do not expect any good SBC teams will have an interest joining CUSA. We're at the point where CUSA is not an option. Find something else.

Reactions: RhinoD
If we are going to stay that the FBS level the only thing we need to worry about is football and yes I’m including basketball in that.

Worrying about a sport other than football cost us a chance to be light years ahead of where we are now. We could have been in the original CUSA with Louisville, Cincinnati, TCU and others but at the time it was football only. They couldn’t find an acceptable spot for the basketball team so the deal was scrapped. So instead of us going into a strong CUSA being lead by Byron we stayed in the MAC. Then a few years later we accepted an all sports invite with a lesser CUSA that shortly after joining morphed into the bucket of crap that exists today.

If our goal is to stay at the FBS level the only thing we should think about is how it benefits our football team because that’s what drives the bus in college sports when it comes to money.

Reactions: Bayou Boiler
Didn't I see somewhere that the ACC would offer the soccer team a place?

That is one possibility that has been rumored... At the end of the day, soccer will be fine, leagues will want a top-5 program and defending national champion (especially if they don't have to take the rest of our sports on).
Yep, men's soccer is one Herd team that even the big boy leagues would like to have.

That's hilarious!!! so you are the one. still holding onto that dream. A few months ago every eerdiot I saw said that.....now not so much it's more about how great the B12 will be with it's recent G5 additions.😉
Yeah.

I haven’t gotten to listen to Crap-ridi lately. But Weekley and Hoppy seem to have the Spamite idiocy being the old Leastern Independents/Big Least/Leastleftovers lie. Which is that their woeful conference is the same as the True Majors.

The “usens is going to that there ACC” idiocy seems to have expired.

Knowing which stupid thing to believe is the only hard part of being a Spamite.

That, and yelling “But Marshall…” so salve over yet another pointless season.

Reactions: 19MU88
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT