ADVERTISEMENT

That NC State loss

Run the table, hope they do the same...if the CFP ever actually watches the game, they'll see how close it was throughout.

We're garbage and while it seems impressive now, in a few weeks it won't. A minimum of 4 more losses (Clemson, Louisville, Miami, and Florida) will put us at 5-6 on the year and home during the post-season.

I don't know about that. Many MU fans are pulling for NC State and frankly, they may hold their own.
Much of the FSU issue was because of their QB being injured, but they also did have 3 weeks to prepare for you...and lets face it, they have an overall better team in general. Its not like they blew the game away, NC State led for the entirety of it I believe.

So its not like it was a total anomaly.

Give it 2-3 weeks and whole ecosystem around this "Quality Loss" will collapse. FSU isn't good, and was only ranked Saturday because they'd only had to play one game the whole year, and it was against Alabama. NCSU's win over FSU sounds like a big win, but at the same time their loss to South Carolina looks worse, with the Cocks almost losing an ugly one at home to LTSU. Conference play isn't going to flatter any of those three teams.

Cool.. we should be a lock then for a playoff spot if we win out
Nah, if SDSU wins out, which could easily happen as the rest of their schedule is cream puff, then they would get it because they are in the MWC and not CUSA and they were good last year as well. Plus, the AAC has a couple of schools that could finish with 1-2 losses as well. Even if we win out, our chances of getting the access bowl bid are slim unless all the other G5 conference champions have 2+ losses thanks to the perception of our conference and us.

Nah, if SDSU wins out, which could easily happen as the rest of their schedule is cream puff, then they would get it because they are in the MWC and not CUSA and they were good last year as well. Plus, the AAC has a couple of schools that could finish with 1-2 losses as well. Even if we win out, our chances of getting the access bowl bid are slim unless all the other G5 conference champions have 2+ losses thanks to the perception of our conference and us.

If we win out, that fact should definitely guarantee us a slot in one of the numerous "almost relevant" bowls against a yet to be determined, and named, middle of the pack MAC team!!

I was joking... you have to have a big name and therefore start at the top (regardless of how good you are- see Ohio state and LSU) in order to have one loss and still make it.

Unbelievable! Win some games against bad teams after a 3-9 season and people start talking about making the playoffs
There will never be a situation where a G5 school makes the 4-team playoff. The best G5 can hope for is an access bowl bid and maybe another spot in a major bowl due to having another highly ranked team. It the new deals way of just giving the G5 some peanuts to shut us up.

There will never be a situation where a G5 school makes the 4-team playoff. The best G5 can hope for is an access bowl bid and maybe another spot in a major bowl due to having another highly ranked team. It the new deals way of just giving the G5 some peanuts to shut us up.

That might end up being true, but there are certainly scenarios where that would not be the case. For example, had Houston run the table, they would have made the final 4 because of their wins. The idea is to schedule two P5 teams and win and then run the conference. And by two teams I mean two better than average teams. And no there is no 'well they were good when we scheduled them' arguments because if you schedule 2, then one of them will certainly be good. For instance if we played Louisville AND NCstate this year, and won them both, collectively that is good enough to get in with a 12-0 record, assuming there are not 4 other undefeated or an 11-1 Bama or Suckeyes. But it CAN happen and I predict it will, at least for someone like Houston or Boise.

We're garbage and while it seems impressive now, in a few weeks it won't. A minimum of 4 more losses (Clemson, Louisville, Miami, and Florida) will put us at 5-6 on the year and home during the post-season.

I cant wait, the beginning of the end for Florida State starts Oct 6th

That might end up being true, but there are certainly scenarios where that would not be the case. For example, had Houston run the table, they would have made the final 4 because of their wins. The idea is to schedule two P5 teams and win and then run the conference. And by two teams I mean two better than average teams. And no there is no 'well they were good when we scheduled them' arguments because if you schedule 2, then one of them will certainly be good. For instance if we played Louisville AND NCstate this year, and won them both, collectively that is good enough to get in with a 12-0 record, assuming there are not 4 other undefeated or an 11-1 Bama or Suckeyes. But it CAN happen and I predict it will, at least for someone like Houston or Boise.

Not sure that happens since Houston doesn't appear to have the appeal of everyone else in Texas. Not saying they don't have money or fans, they just don't have much beyond the state. Hell, they got rejected from the Big 12 despite being a more sensible addition to the conference...which shows they really don't bring enough money, which is what all this crap is about anyways.

Until the CFP expands beyond 4 teams, the G5 is never going to get mentioned.

Reactions: pdbailey
Not sure that happens since Houston doesn't appear to have the appeal of everyone else in Texas. Not saying they don't have money or fans, they just don't have much beyond the state. Hell, they got rejected from the Big 12 despite being a more sensible addition to the conference...which shows they really don't bring enough money, which is what all this crap is about anyways.

Until the CFP expands beyond 4 teams, the G5 is never going to get mentioned.

Watch what happens if Boise, BYU, Houston or Cincy run the table one year. Those teams always have an OOC that is legit. Maybe hit and miss for a couple of them randomly on schedule but usually pretty good. If any of those that have the name already and the OOC run the table, it would take other undefeateds or a handful of other overhyped big names to keep them out of the playoff. In other words Houston would get in over a 11-1 Washington or 11-1 Virginia Tech

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Watch what happens if Boise, BYU, Houston or Cincy run the table one year. Those teams always have an OOC that is legit. Maybe hit and miss for a couple of them randomly on schedule but usually pretty good. If any of those that have the name already and the OOC run the table, it would take other undefeateds or a handful of other overhyped big names to keep them out of the playoff. In other words Houston would get in over a 11-1 Washington or 11-1 Virginia Tech
Bet they wouldn't! 13th data point would kill their ranking.

Reactions: pdbailey
Houston wouldn't have gotten in either. No G5 school is getting in over P5 schools unless all but a couple of the P5 schools have 2+ losses and a G5 is undefeated with wins over conference winners form those other P5 conferences. To think otherwise, is to assume that the system isn't rigged, and it most certainly is.

Reactions: jocktalker
I wouldn't mention Cincy in any sentence regarding a top G5. They straight up sucked last year and will be a mediocre G5 at best for the foreseeable future. Plus, as another poster said, it just isn't going to happen.

Reactions: Herd Fever

I highly doubt that happens. We already saw what happened when 2 G5 schools were in the top 10 a while back, Boise and TCU...instead of having both play (and likely win) against the P5, they put them in their own bowl.

Absolutely no chance the G5 would get into the 4 team playoff...hell, remember when Baylor and TCU were more than qualified for it? They both got left out because they didn't have the money or appeal of ohio state. What on Earth makes you think a G5 program would have that much appeal?

By the way, Boise sucks, Houston just lost to Texas Tech, and Cincy struggled badly against teams they were better than, lost to Navy and will lose to us. BYU is also out of the discussion as well.

I wouldn't mention Cincy in any sentence regarding a top G5. They straight up sucked last year and will be a mediocre G5 at best for the foreseeable future. Plus, as another poster said, it just isn't going to happen.
Yeah they suck butt.. but they would get the votes if undefeated before most G5 teams

I highly doubt that happens. We already saw what happened when 2 G5 schools were in the top 10 a while back, Boise and TCU...instead of having both play (and likely win) against the P5, they put them in their own bowl.

Absolutely no chance the G5 would get into the 4 team playoff...hell, remember when Baylor and TCU were more than qualified for it? They both got left out because they didn't have the money or appeal of ohio state. What on Earth makes you think a G5 program would have that much appeal?

By the way, Boise sucks, Houston just lost to Texas Tech, and Cincy struggled badly against teams they were better than, lost to Navy and will lose to us. BYU is also out of the discussion as well.

I'm not saying any of those teams are good. Im talking about in retrospect if they have a year where it matters.

San Diego State has the best chance IMO this season if they go undefeated and Stanford and Arizona State both play each other in the Pac-12 Championship

It's looking like WSU is gonna make a run. I agree about SDSU however, they've beaten 2 Pac-12 schools. They could even withstand a loss I'd imagine as well.
We need to win out and hope everyone else has 2-3 losses come selection time for even a mention.

Reactions: Herd Fever
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT