ADVERTISEMENT

The Sentiment from around the league

BleedsGreen33

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2010
Is that we may be greedy and don't hire Brad Lambert.

Here are some posts.

From an ODU fan:
Takes a lot of spine to fire a coach that gets you to bowl games every year and was just voted coach of the year. I hope it works out for you guys. It could also be the equivalent of what ECU did when they fired Ruffin McNeil. I guess we will see. I wish ODU had the success Holiday has had recently. I would imagine Marshall wouldnt have done this without knowing they've got someone better on the hook already.

From an ECU fan:
We did it to Steve Logan first and then Ruffin McNeil. It turned out disastrous both times. Hopefully Marshall has somebody lined up. I will always pull for them

From an MTSU fan:
So. Marshall fires the Coach of the Year, who has a significant winning record and gets to a Bowl game annually. Meanwhile, MT just ignores the mediocrity in our football program. Not sure if Marshall firing Holliday isn't an "Overreaction". But, the Blue Raiders are a classic example of "Action by Inaction". Good Luck, Herd. Good Luck, Coach Holliday.

From a Charlotte fan:
Reminds me of ECU firing Ruffin or Charlotte firing Bobby Lutz. Be careful what you wish for.

From a UTSA fan:
You guys have high expectations (which is a good thing btw). Doc had a pretty solid track record. Hopefully you'll find another Bob Pruett.

From a USM fan:
Just hope you get a "Larry Fedora" prototype and not an "Ellis Johnson" prototype

From a Bowling Green fan:
I haven't been paying very close attention, so I'm shooting from the hip here, but it seems to me Marshall had been performing fairly well overall. I have to wonder if expectations are getting a bit out of hand, and if we are seeing a mistake unfold here.

From a WKU fan:
The #1a mistake is hiring, hire someone because they stopped in Huntington, at some point in their career. The #1 mistake is to make a hire based on that coach staying at Marshall, long term....

Marshall just became a stepping stone, if they win, like the rest of us. As a fan, get use to it, and dont frit over losing a head coach every 3rd year. If someone isnt offering him money money he can't afford to turndown and more money Marshall can get with in 50% of. That coach is not winning to the degree that Marshall fans will be happy with. Marshall will not get them all, correct, better hope this one is....its always about the next hire.

From a Charlotte fan:
I'm seeing a lot of Brad Lambert talk; I'll just say that I would not be excited in any way by that hire, if I were the Herd (by his interaction/hype ability or by his coaching).

From a Rice fan:
I admittedly don't know much about the situation internally, but this strongly reminds me of the decision by Southern Miss to make a change from Jeff Bowers...From the outside, he was a remarkably successful coach that ran his program the right way and won lots of games...I hope this works out well for Marshall...[/I]

From a LaTech fan:
It's still incumbent upon the Marshall leadership to replace Doc with someone good. THAT'S where ECU went wrong.

Bowl game appearances should be the absolute minimum expectation of a head coach in CUSA, where we literally have more bowl invites than quality teams each year.

Just because you fire a guy that's doing a half assed job, it doesn't mean you'll automatically hire someone worse. Good lord. I admire Marshall for being bold, and taking the steps to do EXACTLY what LA Tech needs to do. We're all here trying to win CHAMPIONSHIPS. If a coach can't win a championship, it's best for him to move on to the next gig.

I really admire Marshall for doing this, and wish LA Tech would do the same. Because this firing sends a clear message "we're not like everyone else. We're not satisfied with just making a bowl appearance every year."

From an FAU fan:
My prediction is that no matter who is hired outside of Urban Meyer...no one will be happy.

From a UAB fan:
Reminds me of Southern Miss sacking Jeff Bower. Marshall is a nice program with a winning tradition. I hope that they make a good hire and don't come to regret making this move.

One championship in eleven years. I understand it. It just feels like moving on from a long time love in search of the heat of a new one. Sometimes you regret it.

Is that we may be greedy and don't hire Brad Lambert.

Here are some posts.

From an ODU fan:
Takes a lot of spine to fire a coach that gets you to bowl games every year and was just voted coach of the year. I hope it works out for you guys. It could also be the equivalent of what ECU did when they fired Ruffin McNeil. I guess we will see. I wish ODU had the success Holiday has had recently. I would imagine Marshall wouldnt have done this without knowing they've got someone better on the hook already.

From an ECU fan:
We did it to Steve Logan first and then Ruffin McNeil. It turned out disastrous both times. Hopefully Marshall has somebody lined up. I will always pull for them

From an MTSU fan:
So. Marshall fires the Coach of the Year, who has a significant winning record and gets to a Bowl game annually. Meanwhile, MT just ignores the mediocrity in our football program. Not sure if Marshall firing Holliday isn't an "Overreaction". But, the Blue Raiders are a classic example of "Action by Inaction". Good Luck, Herd. Good Luck, Coach Holliday.

From a Charlotte fan:
Reminds me of ECU firing Ruffin or Charlotte firing Bobby Lutz. Be careful what you wish for.

From a UTSA fan:
You guys have high expectations (which is a good thing btw). Doc had a pretty solid track record. Hopefully you'll find another Bob Pruett.

From a USM fan:
Just hope you get a "Larry Fedora" prototype and not an "Ellis Johnson" prototype

From a Bowling Green fan:
I haven't been paying very close attention, so I'm shooting from the hip here, but it seems to me Marshall had been performing fairly well overall. I have to wonder if expectations are getting a bit out of hand, and if we are seeing a mistake unfold here.

From a WKU fan:
The #1a mistake is hiring, hire someone because they stopped in Huntington, at some point in their career. The #1 mistake is to make a hire based on that coach staying at Marshall, long term....

Marshall just became a stepping stone, if they win, like the rest of us. As a fan, get use to it, and dont frit over losing a head coach every 3rd year. If someone isnt offering him money money he can't afford to turndown and more money Marshall can get with in 50% of. That coach is not winning to the degree that Marshall fans will be happy with. Marshall will not get them all, correct, better hope this one is....its always about the next hire.

From a Charlotte fan:
I'm seeing a lot of Brad Lambert talk; I'll just say that I would not be excited in any way by that hire, if I were the Herd (by his interaction/hype ability or by his coaching).

From a Rice fan:
I admittedly don't know much about the situation internally, but this strongly reminds me of the decision by Southern Miss to make a change from Jeff Bowers...From the outside, he was a remarkably successful coach that ran his program the right way and won lots of games...I hope this works out well for Marshall...[/I]

From a LaTech fan:
It's still incumbent upon the Marshall leadership to replace Doc with someone good. THAT'S where ECU went wrong.

Bowl game appearances should be the absolute minimum expectation of a head coach in CUSA, where we literally have more bowl invites than quality teams each year.

Just because you fire a guy that's doing a half assed job, it doesn't mean you'll automatically hire someone worse. Good lord. I admire Marshall for being bold, and taking the steps to do EXACTLY what LA Tech needs to do. We're all here trying to win CHAMPIONSHIPS. If a coach can't win a championship, it's best for him to move on to the next gig.

I really admire Marshall for doing this, and wish LA Tech would do the same. Because this firing sends a clear message "we're not like everyone else. We're not satisfied with just making a bowl appearance every year."

From an FAU fan:
My prediction is that no matter who is hired outside of Urban Meyer...no one will be happy.

From a UAB fan:
Reminds me of Southern Miss sacking Jeff Bower. Marshall is a nice program with a winning tradition. I hope that they make a good hire and don't come to regret making this move.

One championship in eleven years. I understand it. It just feels like moving on from a long time love in search of the heat of a new one. Sometimes you regret it.

It's interesting that the rest of the league can gauge our coaching problems. If they would look at our losses, and not just our records, they would readily see that we lose too many games that we have absolutely no business losing. And if gaining a bowl bid is your top goal, you don't have to be too good since cusa has 7 bids.

Reactions: johns1124
Yeah, and let's see when the next CUSA HC position or positions open up, this year or next, just how many of those schools will give Doc the time of day, much less give him serious consideration for the Top job in their football program(s)!

Reactions: HerdnBucks
This is why our league is garbage. They’re ok with bowl appearances. This tells you everything we need to know about this trash league and their fanbases.

Yeah, cause the higher thing than a "bowl appearance" is ????????? If your name ain't Alabama, or Clemson, Ohio State, or maybe someone else from the SEC once and a while.

What a league. Happy about going to bowl games.

Hey Sam I guess you skipped this fans response from La Tech

From a LaTech fan:

This guy expresses 100% how I feel.

Yeah, cause the higher thing than a "bowl appearance" is ?????????

So the gold standard of program success for you is reaching a bowl game?

Every fan, player, and coach should value and strive for a conference championship over playing the third-place Sun Belt team in a bowl.

Last edited:
Heres my take:

Those that dont live in htgn, nor follow the program closely dont understand why we just let go a coach with Doc's W-L record. Also, many dont realize there is no large buyout to pay. Marshall just wrote the playbook on how to not pay coaches millions to not work. Check every national sports writer on twitter yesterday was flabbergasted how we could let him go. Easy to say from Atlanta when you only follow SEC/P5 and have not set foot in Htgn ever.

For those that follow Marshall and are close to the program realize its stale. Marshall needs a guy who not only wins games, but also is a pied piper for the school, team, & region. DD is very popular because not only does he win games, he is charismatic, and has a fun product to watch. I drove 5.5hr to watch the cusa title game and came away pissed because not only was it a boring game, we lost to boot. Had we lost 40-37, I would be mad, but man I just saw an exciting game. Under Doc, those exciting games are far and few between. I realize we dont play for national titles, we play for cusa titles. I dont live in Htgn but from friends that do, the passion, the day to day hype around football is non-existent, or has greatly diminished in the last 5 years. Doc was a football coach, thats it. His personality isnt anything other than a football coach. He doesnt want to go to a hoops game and shake hundreds of hands. He doesnt want to play golf with the boosters. Marshall needs that type of personality plain and simple.

The head football coach is the most important person in the city. I hope we can find a guy who not only wins games, but also does the extras to make the region excited about Marshall football once again.

Heres my take:

Those that dont live in htgn, nor follow the program closely dont understand why we just let go a coach with Doc's W-L record. Also, many dont realize there is no large buyout to pay. Marshall just wrote the playbook on how to not pay coaches millions to not work. Check every national sports writer on twitter yesterday was flabbergasted how we could let him go. Easy to say from Atlanta when you only follow SEC/P5 and have not set foot in Htgn ever.

For those that follow Marshall and are close to the program realize its stale. Marshall needs a guy who not only wins games, but also is a pied piper for the school, team, & region. DD is very popular because not only does he win games, he is charismatic, and has a fun product to watch. I drove 5.5hr to watch the cusa title game and came away pissed because not only was it a boring game, we lost to boot. Had we lost 40-37, I would be mad, but man I just saw an exciting game. Under Doc, those exciting games are far and few between. I realize we dont play for national titles, we play for cusa titles. I dont live in Htgn but from friends that do, the passion, the day to day hype around football is non-existent, or has greatly diminished in the last 5 years. Doc was a football coach, thats it. His personality isnt anything other than a football coach. He doesnt want to go to a hoops game and shake hundreds of hands. He doesnt want to play golf with the boosters. Marshall needs that type of personality plain and simple.

The head football coach is the most important person in the city. I hope we can find a guy who not only wins games, but also does the extras to make the region excited about Marshall football once again.
Good post. I heard that was a big issue with Tom Herman down in Texas as well. You almost have to be a politician like personality these days. Of course, Herman had other issues, both past and present, with the present day issues conflicting with the high dollar rollers down in Texas.

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
Heres my take:

Bingo I have had to explain this exact thing to so many people the past couple of days

Of course, Herman had other issues, both past and present, with the present day issues conflicting with the high dollar rollers down in Texas.

You neglected to mention the cocaine, strippers, and impending divorce.

This is why our league is garbage. They’re ok with bowl appearances. This tells you everything we need to know about this trash league and their fanbases.
A majority of G5s and probably the bottom 1/3 of the P5 are alright with just making bowl games.

I no longer agree with that. With so many bowls making a bowl game shows you are a mediocre team
I don't either and that's what separates the great programs from the pack. I think the amount of bowls we have today has made coaches and programs complacent. Back in the MAC days you had to win the MAC to get the bowl. It pushed us to be great, because just like in the FCS days if you don't win you sit and watch everyone else play in the postseason.

I'd like to see a bowl game go to each divisional champ and that's it. At the very least 7 wins should qualify you and 8 wins should lock you in. It's ridiculous to get rewarded for lose the same amount of games that you won.

I've said it many times. Doc changed after he won the title in 2014. He lost a lot, well maybe all his intensity and with bowl games to prop him up he could fool people.

"Hey look I went to a bowl and beat another average G5 team."

I also find it comical that the winners of the bowl are called "insert bowl name" champions.

I'd take a G5 playoff over this bowl system. Unless you're in a NY6 bowl then your bowl is completely meaningless.

Unless they're a die hard fan whose life revolves around the team you'd be hard pressed to find Marshall fans that could give you the actual full names of the bowls Doc won.

Gotta love the whole, "fired Doc Holliday" saying. He wasn't fired. His contract was up.

To the other CUSA heads, it's pretty clear that throw away bowls in Florida before or around Christmas is the goal. One conference championship in 11 damn years is just the bees knees.

I agree with many of you that the coach is more than a coach and personality is very important. But even with Docs bland personality if he had 5 CUSA titles under his belt in my opinion he could be the blandest guy in the room and would have never had to worry about his job.

making bowls means diddly. If you go .500 in D1 you make a bowl game. You can talk about Doc's W-L record, fine, but to bring up going to bowls when at least one game a year is FCS, going to a bowl means nothing the last 10 years.

My expectations are not crazy:

Win a cusa title every 5 years

Have a guy drafted once a year or every other year, I believe Doc had 5 draft picks he recruited in 11 years, that is not good enough. I dont expect 3 a year, but way more than 5 in a decade for heaves sakes. Vinny and Lee Smith weren't doc recruits, right? Let me know if I'm wrong. There was a 4 year gap of no NFL draftees, ouch.

Have an exciting brand. Entertainment dollars are spread thin these days. Make people want to watch the herd play in person!

I no longer agree with that. With so many bowls making a bowl game shows you are a mediocre team
the goal should be to do what Cincy just did. Have a great season and you go play UGA 9insert other big name school)on New Years day. That should be our goal(heck set it higher).

Win the conference a lot and try to get to that big bowl game.

Reactions: caliherd
I don't either and that's what separates the great programs from the pack. I think the amount of bowls we have today has made coaches and programs complacent. Back in the MAC days you had to win the MAC to get the bowl. It pushed us to be great, because just like in the FCS days if you don't win you sit and watch everyone else play in the postseason.

I'd like to see a bowl game go to each divisional champ and that's it. At the very least 7 wins should qualify you and 8 wins should lock you in. It's ridiculous to get rewarded for lose the same amount of games that you won.

I've said it many times. Doc changed after he won the title in 2014. He lost a lot, well maybe all his intensity and with bowl games to prop him up he could fool people.

"Hey look I went to a bowl and beat another average G5 team."

I also find it comical that the winners of the bowl are called "insert bowl name" champions.

I'd take a G5 playoff over this bowl system. Unless you're in a NY6 bowl then your bowl is completely meaningless.

Unless they're a die hard fan whose life revolves around the team you'd be hard pressed to find Marshall fans that could give you the actual full names of the bowls Doc won.
It all started when we should have went down to Texas in that bowl game and kicked the shit out of Illinois, but no we went to Florida to play NIU. Yehh I know NIU was better but, it is better to go hang 50 on Illinois and beat them. We should have said no, Doc you are going to go play a BIg 10 team and not go play a MAC school.

making bowls means diddly. If you go .500 in D1 you make a bowl game. You can talk about Doc's W-L record, fine, but to bring up going to bowls when at least one game a year is FCS, going to a bowl means nothing the last 10 years.

My expectations are not crazy:

Win a cusa title every 5 years

Have a guy drafted once a year or every other year, I believe Doc had 5 draft picks he recruited in 11 years, that is not good enough. I dont expect 3 a year, but way more than 5 in a decade for heaves sakes. Vinny and Lee Smith weren't doc recruits, right? Let me know if I'm wrong. There was a 4 year gap of no NFL draftees, ouch.

Have an exciting brand. Entertainment dollars are spread thin these days. Make people want to watch the herd play in person!

The only thing I disagree with your post is the win CUSA once every 5 years. As long as CUSA is the dumpster fire it is now I would expect 1 overall title every 3 years and win the East 2 out of every 3 years. If. Doc would have done that since 2013 (post CUSA raid) he would have 2 overall titles, 4 East titles in 7 years and would still be the coach preparing for 2021.

The only thing I disagree with your post is the win CUSA once every 5 years. As long as CUSA is the dumpster fire it is now I would expect 1 overall title every 3 years and win the East 2 out of every 3 years. If. Doc would have done that since 2013 (post CUSA raid) he would have 2 overall titles, 4 East titles in 7 years and would still be the coach preparing for 2021.
agree, expectations need to be set. And, not hand out contract extensions like they are candy

Reactions: caliherd
It all started when we should have went down to Texas in that bowl game and kicked the shit out of Illinois, but no we went to Florida to play NIU. Yehh I know NIU was better but, it is better to go hang 50 on Illinois and beat them. We should have said no, Doc you are going to go play a BIg 10 team and not go play a MAC school.
Lol. Beating Illinois wouldn't have done any more for us. It did wonders for LaTech didn't it. Most of the bowls are pointless exhibitions that no one outside of their respective fan bases cares about. Marshall beating 6-6 Illinois isn't leading Sportscenter. It wasn't propelling us into a preseason top25 ranking either.

It's also been pointed out several times that CUSA has the final say in where teams to bowl games. Most of our players are from Florida and we're an East Coast team. Ruston is only 250 some miles away from Dallas.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Yeah, cause the higher thing than a "bowl appearance" is ????????? If your name ain't Alabama, or Clemson, Ohio State, or maybe someone else from the SEC once and a while.

What a league. Happy about going to bowl games.

literally you are saying (and they are saying) “we should be happy with .500”. If we aren’t consistently playing and winning the conference in the worst conference in America why even bother? What a joke.

literally you are saying (and they are saying) “we should be happy with .500”. If we aren’t consistently playing and winning the conference in the worst conference in America why even bother? What a joke.

No, I was just responding to this, pretty vacuous statement:

They’re ok with bowl appearances. This tells you everything we need to know about this trash league and their fanbases.

Because, under the current system, exactly 11 programs have done more than have a "bowl appearance". And, in the next 10 to 20 years, it is hard to believe that more than 5 or 6 other programs will join them. And for everybody else, a "bowl appearance" is what you work for.

No, I was just responding to this, pretty vacuous statement:

Because, under the current system, exactly 11 programs have done more than have a "bowl appearance". And, in the next 10 to 20 years, it is hard to believe that more than 5 or 6 other programs will join them. And for everybody else, a "bowl appearance" is what you work for.

Umm this is Marshall we play for championships not bowl appearances. At least we used to.

Yeah, decades ago when we were in a lower division, and then when we were in the MAC, and you had to win the championship to get to the most minor of the the minor bowls, under the system of the day.

I was just responding to the CUSA hate in the vacuous statement about how :

This is why our league is garbage. They’re ok with bowl appearances. This tells you everything we need to know about this trash league and their fanbases

You think UK, or South Carolina, or either Mississippi are happy going to a bowl game. I guess the SEC is a garbage league too. How about Syracuse, or Pitt, or NC State. Their dumb fans are happy going to bowl games. What a garbage league the ACC is. And Purdue, Indiana, and Minnesota. Idiot fans happy about going to bowl games. What a garbage league the Big 10 is.

Yeah, decades ago when we were in a lower division, and then when we were in the MAC, and you had to win the championship to get to the most minor of the the minor bowls, under the system of the day.

I was just responding to the CUSA hate in the vacuous statement about how :

You think UK, or South Carolina, or either Mississippi are happy going to a bowl game. I guess the SEC is a garbage league too. How about Syracuse, or Pitt, or NC State. Their dumb fans are happy going to bowl games. What a garbage league the ACC is. And Purdue, Indiana, and Minnesota. Idiot fans happy about going to bowl games. What a garbage league the Big 10 is.
The difference is going to a garbage blwl
From the sec, independence bowl, is inifinitely better than going to the gasparilla bowl. Indy bowl payout is 2.2 mil vs 1.2 mil for gasparilla

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
The difference is going to a garbage blwl
From the sec, independence bowl, is inifinitely better than going to the gasparilla bowl. Indy bowl payout is 2.2 mil vs 1.2 mil for gasparilla
I understand what you're saying but payout means little. All payout money from all CUSA teams go in the same pot. We get 2 shares by playing as does every conference team playing. Terms not playing get 1 share.
In the past we make less than $10,000

I understand what you're saying but payout means little. All payout money from all CUSA teams go in the same pot. We get 2 shares by playing as does every conference team playing. Terms not playing get 1 share.
If I'm figuring correctly, in 2020 there would be 19 shares, (6 teams playing x 2, 7 teams not x 1, and assuming odu gets zero since they opted out). Based on your $10,000 payout that would be a total of $190,000. Not much for 6 bowls. What am I missing here?

Lambert won't get recruits excited to commit to us. We won't be landing bigger fish that way. You only do that with someone who has some buzz around them and they can only do it early on. After that, you have to win with what you have.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Lambert won't get recruits excited to commit to us. We won't be landing bigger fish that way. You only do that with someone who has some buzz around them and they can only do it early on. After that, you have to win with what you have.
Lambert is the safe hire in the short term. His hire would prevent a mass exodus of players and they would rally behind him. However as his tenure would progress I think we'd fall off.

Brad Lambert would in effect be our Bill Stewart.

We need someone young that is on the come up and is aggressive both in the field and out on the trail.

Exactly which is why only focusing on bowl game appearances is USELESS

Reactions: Herdmeister
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT