ADVERTISEMENT

This game is why Marshall gets no respect

Neither were favored to win their games either.

Funny thing though, Miami had some real ugly wins this season against some pretty bad teams.
Then they go out and prove themselves against a quality opponent and win.

But are their fans complaining?

Complaining about the lack of respect? I said before the season started that if Miami stayed healthy, they would be in the Playoffs.

Syracuse dominated Clemson in that game and despite the score Miami put a whooping on Syracuse(Please don't give me stats, I watched the game)

Right now Miami has 1 weakness, 3rd down offense. You can't find a hole anywhere else. As far as the schedule goes, they have UVA and the trap game at Pitt. Miami vs. Clemson will be the best game of the season.

Alabama is battered, Mississippi State had a chance to beat Alabama and coaching in the 4th lost them the game. Alabama escaped Starkville but Auburn will beat them.

Auburn is the best team in the SEC in my opinion right now. Georgia is overrated by playing in the terrible SEC East(ACC Coastal isn't much better)

Wisconsin will win the Big 10 but will be smashed in the Playoffs. Same with Oklahoma.

So the fact that the officiating changed the outcome by two scores shouldn’t matter?

Obiallo’s foot was down. Replay confirmed that.

Their receiver’s foot was not down. Replay confirmed that.

That makes the score 37-16 with us controlling the ball for almost an entire quarter longer than they did. Besides that, we basically owned the advantage in every statistical measure. That game was not close and if you don’t understand that then you know nothing about football.

Josh...you are 100% WRONG.....and many of us PLAYED and know Football....rather condescending on your part! Obiallo's toe was outside the line as TV plainly showed (from several angles) and the well informed two TV announcers confirmed. The Hilltopper receiver's play was plainly a good reception. I am not sure what replays you were watching......but you are 100% WRONG.

I will admit the Refs left a lot to be desired with poor rules knowledge. The rule states "any-cause" injury timeout.... the player MUST take a play off. QB White was believed (by our medical staff) to POSSIBLY have a concussion from his head hitting the cold turf, yet, their medical staff felt his sore ankle was the cause of his instability. His eyes looked a little dazed when the camera showed closeups of him on the sideline.

Our Coaching staff (Doc & Legg) almost "sold the shithouse" sitting on the ball with over 12 minutes remaining....by going conservative. Hats off to a good running game to control the clock & final stats---I give credit when credit is deserving.

However, Legg and Doc continue to place Chase in "no win" situations by throwing 45 yard passes down field on 3rd & 8 yards to go....when a short 9-10 yard pass completion will keep the offense on the field. Plus, Chase needs to be under CENTER when short inches are needed to gain a first down!!!!!!! He is a pretty strong & big looking QB....hope you agree (?).....or YOU don't know football. Recall [??] a slow Chad Pennington going under CENTER a few times to move the chains!

Coach Heater's defense and our kicking game WON this one for The HERD. Thank goodness Marshall was playing 4-5 depth players (according to the WKU Head Coach when interviewed before the game by the the announcers in the booth)...... and an injured QB White....or Marshall would be "singing the blues" about losing 3 in a row!

Marshall escaped with a Victory...and now it is on to Texas.

HerdZilla22

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Obiallo's toe was outside the line as TV plainly showed (from several angles) and the well informed two TV announcers confirmed. The Hilltopper receiver's play was plainly a good reception. I am not sure what replays you were watching......but you are 100% WRONG.

Not from the angles we saw inside the stadium or the replays people who were texting me from home saw.

***highlighting in bold print***

Not from the angles we saw inside the stadium oe people who were texting me from home.

The angles and replays from the TV broadcast PLAINLY showed the refs made the correct calls. I would not rely on texts from HERD fans.... we drink the Green Kool-aid! Most of the time the Reds prove to make the right calls....under "quick" game conditions

HerdZilla

The angles and replays from the TV broadcast PLAINLY showed the refs made the correct calls. I would not rely on texts from HERD fans.... we drink the Green Kool-aid! Most of the time the Reds prove to make the right calls....under "quick" game conditions

HerdZilla

The people who were texting me were watching from home on the same broadcast you were watching. And Doc even called out the replay official in his post game saying he was wrong.

My issue isnt necessarily with the opponent, their pulse level or the officiating (Obiallo was out btw)... Its that we call the game one way for 3 qtrs, play well, get a lead... then totally change what we are doing and go into prevent offense. Why not dominate the whole game?.. Usain Bolt doesnt get ahead by 10 meters, look back and jog to the finish line to win by 0.001 seconds. He finishes like great athletes and great teams do.

If Doc didn't agree with the reply then why not challenge it? If our Wr was in for a TD why didn't DOC challenge it? Stuff like this is why people are not happy with Doc and Legg. You see every week the better team kicking the shit out of a not so good teams bye the scoreboard i.e 60-6 and this is how all G5 teams get respect believe it or not. We are not in sec acc nor are we in the big10 or pac10 and last but not least big12 So yes we have to beat a team when there down because if you think they wouldn't kick your ass on the scoreboard then your just not watching NCAA football week in and week out.look at ANY G5 team in the top25 they have blown teams out. In Marshall 1aa days and even in the Mac days when we where in the top25 we blew teams out and NEVER and I mean NEVER stop scoreing on teams and that's why Marshall was the pick of ESPN for TV games and that's why the media respected us so much. I love Marshall football as much as anyone on here but what I'm seeing now isn't what I'm used to seeing out of Marshall football. So many people on here thinks c-usa is a shit conference so if that's true then why can't Marshall just beat the hell out of the teams we play in conference week? I do think overall Marshall has better talent but that alone don't put points on the scoreboard. Our OC play calling is the reason we don't stomp teams like we used too do. And lately our recruits we are going after are looking eles we're and Marshall is a backup plan (offense recruits). So it's time to make a change weather you want to Amit it or not because if WE don't Marshall WILL be loseing out on better players and the L's will start to stack up.

Reactions: oldeherd
Big Ten - doesn't matter

Big 12 - essentially not a P5 conference

Question mediocre performance against terrible WKU team? Not a true Herd fan.

Kudos to Sam, we're lucky to have college football's gatekeeper on here each Sunday morning to clarify what we should think after the previous day's events.
Remember he has hired and fired people for 30 years.....he gets that in a post as often as possible.

Oh well The Real Sam C probably never played except sandlot nor ever coached in all probability but pretends to be the expert on all matters relating to the Herd along with his assistant - Coach Stowers.
LMAO on that one, Neutral...especially your wisecrack about the assistant coach. I'll need extra oxygen if this keeps up. BWAHAHA !!!

PREACH!!!!!

it's embarrassing how we win games.

It's this "Lets take it in boys" Is why we didn't come back and beat FIU and DAY.

It's why I believe this staff needs to either get with the program and continue holding momentum or retire and move to the side.
you do realize we played without our top two wideouts right? Add in the fact Litton likes to throw picks and yesterdays game could have been a lose. I like wins a lot better then losing. People can be upset if they wish but this team still has a chance to win 9 games

Josh...you are 100% WRONG.....and many of us PLAYED and know Football....rather condescending on your part! Obiallo's toe was outside the line as TV plainly showed (from several angles) and the well informed two TV announcers confirmed. The Hilltopper receiver's play was plainly a good reception. I am not sure what replays you were watching......but you are 100% WRONG.

I will admit the Refs left a lot to be desired with poor rules knowledge. The rule states "any-cause" injury timeout.... the player MUST take a play off. QB White was believed (by our medical staff) to POSSIBLY have a concussion from his head hitting the cold turf, yet, their medical staff felt his sore ankle was the cause of his instability. His eyes looked a little dazed when the camera showed closeups of him on the sideline.

Our Coaching staff (Doc & Legg) almost "sold the shithouse" sitting on the ball with over 12 minutes remaining....by going conservative. Hats off to a good running game to control the clock & final stats---I give credit when credit is deserving.

However, Legg and Doc continue to place Chase in "no win" situations by throwing 45 yard passes down field on 3rd & 8 yards to go....when a short 9-10 yard pass completion will keep the offense on the field. Plus, Chase needs to be under CENTER when short inches are needed to gain a first down!!!!!!! He is a pretty strong & big looking QB....hope you agree (?).....or YOU don't know football. Recall [??] a slow Chad Pennington going under CENTER a few times to move the chains!

Coach Heater's defense and our kicking game WON this one for The HERD. Thank goodness Marshall was playing 4-5 depth players (according to the WKU Head Coach when interviewed before the game by the the announcers in the booth)...... and an injured QB White....or Marshall would be "singing the blues" about losing 3 in a row!

Marshall escaped with a Victory...and now it is on to Texas.

HerdZilla22[/QUOTE

the coaches are putting Litton in a good place by not throwing in the second half.

AMEN Raleighherdfan......."It is what it is..."...We are fed all the press reports about our recruiting excellence and "how this is the year!" Bullshit. We used to be known as >>>>WE PLAY FOR CHAMPIONSHIPS.

So Marshall has the best winning % (around 83%) at home than any school playing football. HELL, being in CUSA====The HERD should have a strong home winning record...and most of that record was constructed when The HERD was playing 1-AA and the decade of the 1990s. Doc is 60-40 at the helm!

NUMBERS ARE NOT WHAT THAT CAN SEEM!

Now The HERD plays for Mediocrity in a poor football conference that puts few players into the NFL.

HERD FANS EXPECT CHAMPIONSHIPS!

HerdZilla22

Just a reminder I am typing this from my phone... which means it’s no longer 1999 so chill out. We are 7-3. We are really a game out of the championship chase.

When Marshall wins “ah we play a crap schedule! Not like back in the Mac days where we played the big boys lie Toledo and Akron! And Ball State! THEY were powerhouses! Now we play in this crap conference. “

When we lose “ah worst team ever!”

Also herdzilla I saw your post about Chase being in a no win situation and you’re way off. Just a few things on that: 1. if chase could throw a halfway decent deep ball he wouldn’t have thrown that pick in the endzone. He’d also have much better numbers. 2. And more importantly, chase is the one making the throw. So why is he locking on (and staring down) the deep route on 3rd and 8?

Doc game planned like a coach who doesn’t trust his QB and he shouldn’t.

you do realize we played without our top two wideouts right? Add in the fact Litton likes to throw picks and yesterdays game could have been a lose. I like wins a lot better then losing. People can be upset if they wish but this team still has a chance to win 9 games

10 wins with a bowl. But that won’t be enough. We play a crap schedule in a crap conference. We suck. Doc sucks. Legg sucks. Blah blah blah

So the fact that the officiating changed the outcome by two scores shouldn’t matter?

Obiallo’s foot was down. Replay confirmed that.

Their receiver’s foot was not down. Replay confirmed that.

That makes the score 37-16 with us controlling the ball for almost an entire quarter longer than they did. Besides that, we basically owned the advantage in every statistical measure. That game was not close and if you don’t understand that then you know nothing about football.

You are arguing my point. We totally dominated every aspect of that game. I was actually overall pleased with our game up until the start of the 4th quarter. When we decided to QUIT and play conservative. The game ended up a 1 score game because of our coaching inabilities. When you preach and demand to your kids 60 minutes, at least have the mental capacity to give them the same from the sideline. It is embarrassing. We should have scored at least 2 TDs in the 4th Quarter. If I was the head coach, I would have sent Legg to the lockerroom after we call a dive on 1st and 10 from the 34 after getting a sack and turnover on downs......momentum changer in the 4th. Instead, we come away with ZERO points, poor play calling, and further vulnerability to blowing the lead. And if you don't understand that, then you know nothing about football. It is football IQ 101 and we fail at it over and over.

Fine, then explain why you don't throw for the endzone on the first play after taking over a sudden change, with the lead, and a chance to throw the knock out blow? At worse, it gets picked off in the end zone and no points. Instead, we get 3 yards, and no points.

Fine, then explain why you don't throw for the endzone on the first play after taking over a sudden change, with the lead, and a chance to throw the knock out blow? At worse, it gets picked off in the end zone and no points. Instead, we get 3 yards, and no points.

Wow...this post is gold.

So you demanded more points and are ticked off we ran the ball...but are okay with an INT and no points, just as long as we throw it?
Dude, you'd complain about the INT's, in fact, you did complain about them when we played FAU.
WE ALL DID!

Your logic makes absolutely no sense. We restricted passing because Litton was prone to INT's...something that cost us 2 games.
It would make total sense to limit the passing for Litton until he got comfortable.

Wow...this post is gold.

So you demanded more points and are ticked off we ran the ball...but are okay with an INT and no points, just as long as we throw it?
Dude, you'd complain about the INT's, in fact, you did complain about them when we played FAU.
WE ALL DID!

Your logic makes absolutely no sense. We restricted passing because Litton was prone to INT's...something that cost us 2 games.
It would make total sense to limit the passing for Litton until he got comfortable.
some seem happier after losing

Wow...this post is gold.

WE ALL DID!

I am insane? My logic makes absolutely perfect sense. It is football 101. KNOW THE SITUATION. Midway through the 4th quarter. We just had a sudden change moment in the game. It completely benefited us. We sacked them on 4th down, a HUGE loss. They are demoralized. Our crowd is into the game. We take over at WKU 34 yard line. We have a chance to go for knockout. This is where you call a play to freeze the LB and Safeties to throw over the top. THIS is exactly why Yuracheck was yelling at our sideline in this situation. The Risk Reward is so skewed almost any intellectually challenged coach could have made this call. (It is my opinion this is why Doc was SCREAMING at Legg). Heck, if you throw an interception, the opposing team gets the ball at the 20 yard line.......I.E. which would have been 12 yards to our advantage since they took over on our 32. This is an example of not possessing any testicals or brains simultaneously. Every 8th grade FB coach on up could understand it. Know the situation. We didn't. We absolutely KILLED the sudden change momentum we gained and almost lost the game because of it.

Before you call someone insane, understand basic football and game situations. Insanity is contantly ignoring these types of in game moments and not taking advantage of opportunities. Insanity is defending unacceptable choices. Insanity is doing the same stupid things over and over again and expecting positive results.

Reading the whole thread, the clear answer for many of you is to move on. The Herd is not your thing. Move on. Even if we beat every team 100-0 you don't care because of who we play. Move on. Find something else to do. Move on.

Reading the whole thread, the clear answer for many of you is to move on. The Herd is not your thing. Move on. Even if we beat every team 100-0 you don't care because of who we play. Move on. Find something else to do. Move on.

In a sense Sam you are right, it is time to move on......................with either part of or a whole new coaching staff. Some of them need to find something else to do! Because the Herd is our thing and we care about it!

In a sense Sam you are right, it is time to move on......................with either part of or a whole new coaching staff. Some of them need to find something else to do! Because the Herd is our thing and we care about it!
Well, guess what? They just signed a fresh deal so this is your team for at least 4 more years.

Well, guess what? They just signed a fresh deal so this is your team for at least 4 more years.

Probably a pretty good sign they won't. In many cases this is done as a "severance" package by the coach's employer in case they are fired in the near term. I.E. the AD can't hold off the people pushing for change.

Probably a pretty good sign they won't. In many cases this is done as a "severance" package by the coach's employer in case they are fired in the near term. I.E. the AD can't hold off the people pushing for change.
No money for the buy out, and how can you fire a coach that may win 8 or 9 games?

Reactions: The Real SamC
No money for the buy out, and how can you fire a coach that may win 8 or 9 games?

If the time and place comes for a firing, the money will find its way into the picture. If we win 8 or 9 games, I don't think anything will happen, even though I would sure as heck like it to. The problem is we should be playing for a conference championship, and we are not. At 7-3, we are already eliminated and have to watch FAU, that was also 3-9 take that spot. They made the necessary changes to get better and had the convictions to do so. Unfortunately, for us, we are happy with the improvement of record, even though nothing has changed much.......which is why we are not getting back to were we need to be.

You are arguing my point. We totally dominated every aspect of that game. I was actually overall pleased with our game up until the start of the 4th quarter. When we decided to QUIT and play conservative. The game ended up a 1 score game because of our coaching inabilities. When you preach and demand to your kids 60 minutes, at least have the mental capacity to give them the same from the sideline. It is embarrassing. We should have scored at least 2 TDs in the 4th Quarter. If I was the head coach, I would have sent Legg to the lockerroom after we call a dive on 1st and 10 from the 34 after getting a sack and turnover on downs......momentum changer in the 4th. Instead, we come away with ZERO points, poor play calling, and further vulnerability to blowing the lead. And if you don't understand that, then you know nothing about football. It is football IQ 101 and we fail at it over and over.

This. We had a fantastic game plan and executed it perfectly...until the 4th quarter. There's no way that game should've been as close as it was in the end.

If the time and place comes for a firing, the money will find its way into the picture.

And that is the attitude that has harmed MU sports for decades. People that on one hand want to piss and moan about MH and his supposed affinity for "big donors" and on the other hand want to be let into games for $5 and think money will just "find its way into the picture".

Nope, if MU were actually stupid enough to fire a championship winning coach after yet another winning season, the money to pay any buyouts, the money to pay the next coach (most of you won't be happy unless its is Saban) and all the rest of the money will not "find its way", it will be earned or fundraised from people willing to pay the freight for this program.

And that is the attitude that has harmed MU sports for decades. People that on one hand want to piss and moan about MH and his supposed affinity for "big donors" and on the other hand want to be let into games for $5 and think money will just "find its way into the picture".

Nope, if MU were actually stupid enough to fire a championship winning coach after yet another winning season, the money to pay any buyouts, the money to pay the next coach (most of you won't be happy unless its is Saban) and all the rest of the money will not "find its way", it will be earned or fundraised from people willing to pay the freight for this program.

I haven't pissed and moaned at all about MH, the cost to get in etc. My complaint with the Football is one ..........coaching, or lack thereof. The product on the field is difficult to watch. Whether this is a mid major, or P5, or Div 2; it is COLLEGE FOOTBALL. CFB teams are not supposed to be making pee wee level mistakes. CFB coaches are supposed to understand their own system they run and get the most out of it. (We have a Philip Rivers mold QB running this system.....AND WE RECRUITED HIM) We have a coach that has 1 conference championship....Great if that was meeting or exceeding the expectations of our program. It is NOT. FAU, a losing team last year (3-9), is going to play for a CUSA Championship this year, with less talent and depth than Marshall has........WHY?.......BETTER COACHING If you are okay with that answer, which you seem to be, fine. Then our administration can count on you for anything, because you demand nothing. I won a dance contest as a 1st Grader, by your logic I could be on DWTS, because I am a winner in yesteryear. I want more out of this staff. Bill Legg needs to be gone ASAP.

I am insane? My logic makes absolutely perfect sense. It is football 101. KNOW THE SITUATION. Midway through the 4th quarter. We just had a sudden change moment in the game. It completely benefited us. We sacked them on 4th down, a HUGE loss. They are demoralized. Our crowd is into the game. We take over at WKU 34 yard line. We have a chance to go for knockout. This is where you call a play to freeze the LB and Safeties to throw over the top. THIS is exactly why Yuracheck was yelling at our sideline in this situation. The Risk Reward is so skewed almost any intellectually challenged coach could have made this call. (It is my opinion this is why Doc was SCREAMING at Legg). Heck, if you throw an interception, the opposing team gets the ball at the 20 yard line.......I.E. which would have been 12 yards to our advantage since they took over on our 32. This is an example of not possessing any testicals or brains simultaneously. Every 8th grade FB coach on up could understand it. Know the situation. We didn't. We absolutely KILLED the sudden change momentum we gained and almost lost the game because of it.

Before you call someone insane, understand basic football and game situations. Insanity is contantly ignoring these types of in game moments and not taking advantage of opportunities. Insanity is defending unacceptable choices. Insanity is doing the same stupid things over and over again and expecting positive results.

POST OF THE YEAR....in my humble opinion!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte (the Sun is finally shinning)

AGREE with you===HFF-SLTX.....and SILENCE Sam is NOT my spiritual leader.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

My issue isnt necessarily with the opponent, their pulse level or the officiating (Obiallo was out btw)... Its that we call the game one way for 3 qtrs, play well, get a lead... then totally change what we are doing and go into prevent offense. Why not dominate the whole game?.. Usain Bolt doesnt get ahead by 10 meters, look back and jog to the finish line to win by 0.001 seconds. He finishes like great athletes and great teams do.
No he wasn't. His right foot clearly hit in-bounds before any other part of his body hit out of bounds and he had control of the ball the entire time.

No he wasn't. His right foot clearly hit in-bounds before any other part of his body hit out of bounds and he had control of the ball the entire time.
I thought the same thing as well (he was in), I was just gobsmacked that it wasn't challenged by Doc or at least reviewed.

I thought the same thing as well (he was in), I was just gobsmacked that it wasn't challenged by Doc or at least reviewed.

No need for Doc to ask for a review
...he HERD from the box that Obiall's TOE was out of the playing endzone. Would have been charged a wasted TO.

HerdZilla22

First of all, a fourth-down stop is not a sudden change. A sudden change is a turnover or special teams return for a touchdown. On fourth-down, a stop and change of possession is a normal occurrence. A team/defense is expecting to go on the field when their offense goes for it on fourth down.

But lets pretend it is a sudden-change. Defenses are coached on this. Why? Because so many offensive coordinators try taking shots on sudden changes (which this situation was not). When so many OCs take shots in this situation, what do you think defensive coordinators call? That's right, defenses to defend against shots. In other words, a quick-hitting run play isn't a bad idea.

In this situation, it is even better of a play call. Why? It is very easily four down territory. If you get three yards, like you said they did, it basically makes it 1st-and-7 if you use it as four down territory. You also take more time off of the clock while making it very manageable to get a first with three more downs. Take a shot and get an INT? Miserable. Take a shot and have it be incomplete? Stops the clock and puts you behind the chains.

First of all, a fourth-down stop is not a sudden change. A sudden change is a turnover or special teams return for a touchdown. On fourth-down, a stop and change of possession is a normal occurrence. A team/defense is expecting to go on the field when their offense goes for it on fourth down.

But lets pretend it is a sudden-change. Defenses are coached on this. Why? Because so many offensive coordinators try taking shots on sudden changes (which this situation was not). When so many OCs take shots in this situation, what do you think defensive coordinators call? That's right, defenses to defend against shots. In other words, a quick-hitting run play isn't a bad idea.

In this situation, it is even better of a play call. Why? It is very easily four down territory. If you get three yards, like you said they did, it basically makes it 1st-and-7 if you use it as four down territory. You also take more time off of the clock while making it very manageable to get a first with three more downs. Take a shot and get an INT? Miserable. Take a shot and have it be incomplete? Stops the clock and puts you behind the chains.

A sack for a loss and turnover on downs was a BIG PLAY, and yes, technically not, but it had the sudden change impact and feel to it. The crowd was in it, and the momentum was there. We fooled them by trying that reverse psychology on them.........more proof we are predictable, hey but we used up 2:18 and came away with ........zero POINTS. Guess what they did over the next 2:54 and 10 plays????????

• 1st and 10 at WKU 34
    (8:18 - 4th) Keion Davis run for 1 yd to the WKent 33

• 2nd and 9 at WKU 33
    (8:18 - 4th) Keion Davis run for 2 yds to the WKent 31

• 3rd and 7 at WKU 31
    (8:18 - 4th) Keion Davis run for a loss of 1 yard to the WKent 32

• (6:00 - 4th) Timeout MARSHALL, clock 06:00
  • 4th and 8 at WKU 32
    (6:00 - 4th) Chase Litton pass incomplete to Obi Obialo

A sack for a loss and turnover on downs was a BIG PLAY, and yes, technically not, but it had the sudden change impact and feel to it. The crowd was in it, and the momentum was there. We fooled them by trying that reverse psychology on them.........more proof we are predictable, hey but we used up 2:18 and came away with ........zero POINTS. Guess what they did over the next 2:54 and 10 plays????????

• 1st and 10 at WKU 34
    (8:18 - 4th) Keion Davis run for 1 yd to the WKent 33

• 2nd and 9 at WKU 33
    (8:18 - 4th) Keion Davis run for 2 yds to the WKent 31

• 3rd and 7 at WKU 31
    (8:18 - 4th) Keion Davis run for a loss of 1 yard to the WKent 32

• (6:00 - 4th) Timeout MARSHALL, clock 06:00
  • 4th and 8 at WKU 32
    (6:00 - 4th) Chase Litton pass incomplete to Obi Obialo
Thanks for that re-cap HFF

1st down = Predictable VANILLA gain of 1 yard
2nd down =predictable VANILLA gain of 2 yards
3rd down = Predictable VANILLA loss of 1 yard
4th down = (after a meeting of the mind-trust of MU Offensive Geniuses) Incomplete Pass

Pass me another tall glass of that beautiful Kelly Green Kool Aid.

And, will someone wake me up when we get a real OC ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT