ADVERTISEMENT

UAB:

If they want a real program that can be sustained, they have to get an on campus stadium built, the legion dump is unfit for anything these days

Make no mistake UAB could develop a following with an on campus stadium. What they have been able to accomplish playing in old crap hole legion field is amazing.

Auburn and Bama neither want a team with drawing potential in the states largest city, they have fought UABs expansion.

I hope the best for UAB, we are their Super Bowl when we go down there to play and it's hard to get up for an empty stadium team. They have a good coach too. I'd like to see them build a nice 40k seat stadium, from there the sky will be the limit.

Reactions: pj(HN)
Make no mistake UAB could develop a following with an on campus stadium. What they have been able to accomplish playing in old crap hole legion field is amazing.

Auburn and Bama neither want a team with drawing potential in the states largest city, they have fought UABs expansion.

I hope the best for UAB, we are their Super Bowl when we go down there to play and it's hard to get up for an empty stadium team. They have a good coach too. I'd like to see them build a nice 40k seat stadium, from there the sky will be the limit.

Why do you consistently state "we are their super bowl." We were bottom feeders and middle of the pack brothers with UAB up until the 13 season. Do you know how foolish you sound with that and the "Notre Dame of the G5" title you throw around?

Marine, he sounds as foolish as you did when you stated (upon hearing of Elmore's sprained ankle) we can lose without him just as well as with him.

Ok 30cat you copy to word to post that a month later? You got me on that one, kudos to you. :D

UAB could do fairly well with an on-campus stadium and a more seperate identity from Alabama, especially if they can tap the huge medical school alumni base. But there is a limit. This is the SEC. This is Alabama. With Alabama and Auburn. In our state, we have to only compete with a third rate field filler in a Texas-Oklahoma conference in a far off town far from the populated part of the state, which has acomplished exactly zero in its entire histroy of athletics. UAB has to compete with two SEC mega programs, 60 and 110 miles away, both of which have won multiple national championships. Different.

I am sure Alabama and Auburn are very nervous about that. Ok, not really.

There are other programs in Alabama like Troy which has a decent and solid history.

That being said, if you are from Alabama you are an Alabama fan or an Auburn fan...the others are just for token appreciation.

UAB can be a solid CUSA program. I don't think it was Alabama or Auburn being nervous about them, I think it was about a state flushing money down a rat hole and they are still flushing money down a rat hole.

Reactions: WV_Celt
UAB could do fairly well with an on-campus stadium and a more seperate identity from Alabama, especially if they can tap the huge medical school alumni base. But there is a limit. This is the SEC. This is Alabama. With Alabama and Auburn. In our state, we have to only compete with a third rate field filler in a Texas-Oklahoma conference in a far off town far from the populated part of the state, which has acomplished exactly zero in its entire histroy of athletics. UAB has to compete with two SEC mega programs, 60 and 110 miles away, both of which have won multiple national championships. Different.

That is why i don't blame the state of Alabama for hacking them.

UAB is loading up because they can't get freshman that can play right away. In 10 years they will be sitting in empty stadiums worried about getting hacked again.

But, good OLD CUSA, invites them back.

UAB's amazing commit list looks like it's half JUCO transfers, and non world beaters at that. Guys that are nonqualifiers for 2016 anyway. And CBS Sports having a completely ridiculous article claiming that the 16 class is the best in CUSA is a joke. Clearly a case of quantity over quality.

Reactions: ohio herd
I've been to every game we have played there and a few basketball games as well. Will UAB ever average 30,000 per game, not in my lifetime, but I have no doubt that an on campus facility will help measurably.
If I were a student there no way do I want to go across town into a crime/drug invested area for a game unless I am a real football fan. With an on campus facility, there would be many kids go just for a way to kill time on a Saturday afternoon.

Even with an on campus stadium, attendance won't be good. First season back, it will be alright-good, but will quickly die when the on field product shows itself to be bad.

This isn't like the Herd's situation in 71. This wasn't a tragedy that hit the whole city. This was a case of the state of Alabama seeing that the football program was a money drain, and the best they could produce was a 6 win season.

Reactions: andy4theherd
you could build the stadium inside the dorms and it wouldn't make a dent in their attendance...

6 winning seasons since 1991 (24 seasons)
1 bowl game...ever....
2 wins over Marshall...ever... (we were shit from 2005 until 2013)
99.9999999999% of everyone in Birmingham (including UAB students AND athletes) are Auburn or 'Bama fans...

stadium location means dick if you have zero program history, zero following, and zero interest in your program. UCF has 60,767 students AND an on-campus stadium. in 2013 they finished 12-1 in brand new conference. they went to and won the Fiesta Bowl. they averaged 42,000... coming off the miracle season that anybody in college football would kill for, they averaged 37,000........ this year they dropped to 30,000..........

Marshall, with student population of 13k, averaged 26k in 2015.... 4k less than a school with 47,000 more students and a much better schedule quality.....

you could build the stadium inside the dorms and it wouldn't make a dent in their attendance...

6 winning seasons since 1991 (24 seasons)
1 bowl game...ever....
2 wins over Marshall...ever... (we were shit from 2005 until 2013)
99.9999999999% of everyone in Birmingham (including UAB students AND athletes) are Auburn or 'Bama fans...

stadium location means dick if you have zero program history, zero following, and zero interest in your program. UCF has 60,767 students AND an on-campus stadium. in 2013 they finished 12-1 in brand new conference. they went to and won the Fiesta Bowl. they averaged 42,000... coming off the miracle season that anybody in college football would kill for, they averaged 37,000........ this year they dropped to 30,000..........

Marshall, with student population of 13k, averaged 26k in 2015.... 4k less than a school with 47,000 more students and a much better schedule quality.....
I know that Tulane with a new on campus stadium picked up their attendance quite a bit. Tulane is a PRIVATE expensive university in a city that is all LSU all the time.

Ok 30cat you copy to word to post that a month later? You got me on that one, kudos to you. :D

I hope this doesn't surprise or amaze you but it really wasn't that difficult to remember. just found it ironic as you tossed the word foolish around towards others.

Tulane lists the entire student body at every game, but I'm talking about butts in the seats. I have seen a few games from there and there are people in there. A friend of mine just graduated from Tulane Law and he too said it made a world of difference in the attitude on campus.

Reactions: NoPuntIntended
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT