ADVERTISEMENT

Vinny did now I'm asking you to give back...Big Green donation.

Anybody who equates a Marshall degree with what comes out of our state colleges has never worked with these people. I have. It is night and day. But, anyway, which is it? MU is just like Concord or State; or MU should go market itself to out-of-state kids four states away? Can't be both.

Anyway, the idea that MOST of WV's economy can be "diversified" ignores one basic fact. Is it that coal miners cannot be retrained into some other job? No, that is not only silly, but dumb, exhibiting a singular lack of understanding how modern coal mines work.

The issue is topography. Get a map of anyplace that has similar, or similarly bad, topography to MOST of WV, but without coal. This would include some parts of WV itself, as well as other parts of the Appalachians, south central Kentucky, northern New England, the Ozarks, UP of Michigan, or any such place. Tell me what you see.

What you will see is excess rural land. Land that has no economic value other than to be timbered every 20 years or so, with the occasional hardscrabble marginal farm. It is what that type of land, but for coal, is. No one was ever supposed to live there.

There are some exceptions. The I-64 corridor. Some places around F-C-M. The shores of the Ohio. Plus the ever expanding DC suburbs in the east. But the idea that somebody is going to build a factory in McDowell or Mingo is just fantasy. The idea that you are going to make Welch or Hamlin into the next San Jose is more so. If you live in the coalfields, the best thing you can do for yourself and your family is to GTFO of the coalfields.

The role of Marshall in that is obvious. It is to educate people to live in the broader world. Be that broader world Huntington, Parkersburg, Charlotte, or San Jose.

Anybody who equates a Marshall degree with what comes out of our state colleges has never worked with these people. I have. It is night and day. But, anyway, which is it? MU is just like Concord or State; or MU should go market itself to out-of-state kids four states away? Can't be both.

Huh? Marshall IS a state college.

You lost all credibility (not that any existed anymore) when you claimed that Marshall degrees were nationally respected, that Marshall is "hard," that getting a Marshall degree means guaranteed success in life, and that a Marshall degree means a mastery in something. Those are things that characterize Ivy institutions and the other elite schools (Stanford, MIT, Cal Poly, UVA, Duke, etc.).

Hell, have you seen the degrees Marshall yields to many students? Just look at the lack of basic grammar mastery by alums on Pullman. Listen to how many Marshall classmates speak even in their 30s.

This isn't a knock just on Marshall. Unless in speciliazed programs, many degrees simply show an employer that the potential hire has enough of a work ethic to get through a prolonged process, can see the importance of the bigger picture, and hopefully has learned social skills to be able to work in a professional environment.

You lost all credibility (not that any existed anymore) when you claimed that Marshall degrees were nationally respected, that Marshall is "hard," that getting a Marshall degree means guaranteed success in life, and that a Marshall degree means a mastery in something. Those are things that characterize Ivy institutions and the other elite schools (Stanford, MIT, Cal Poly, UVA, Duke, etc.).

Hell, have you seen the degrees Marshall yields to many students? Just look at the lack of basic grammar mastery by alums on Pullman. Listen to how many Marshall classmates speak even in their 30s.

This isn't a knock just on Marshall. Unless in speciliazed programs, many degrees simply show an employer that the potential hire has enough of a work ethic to get through a prolonged process, can see the importance of the bigger picture, and hopefully has learned social skills to be able to work in a professional environment.

When I was with Fischer Healthcare, I worked with a guy who went to Harvard. Based on his social and speaking skills - I lost a little respect for such an elite school.

When I was with Fischer Healthcare, I worked with a guy who went to Harvard. Based on his social and speaking skills - I lost a little respect for such an elite school.

The elites can get away with it since they have the intelligence and education to succeed without great people skills.

Harvard grads aren't entering the workforce by being sales reps for Xerox, working at an Enterprise branch, or being an assistant at a local television news station.

Check out the brains in Silicon Valley. Many of the best and brightest out there suffer from depression and/or could be put on the Autism spectrum with their social skills.

Why again are you posting here?

Anyway, no, Marshall is one of WV's two legitimate universities, as defined by WV Code 18B and by the appropriate accreditation bodies. If you had the ability to read the entire thread in context you would know that I was referring to MU and WVU as distinct from the state colleges (some of which Jackpot Bob Wise, disgraced former anti-education governor falsely renamed as "universities" ). If you had the ability to engage with the state government, either legislative or executive, you would know that this use (MU/WVU and the state colleges) is common. For example the current legislative session had an autonomy bill that applied to the two legitimate universities.

Try to keep up. Or shut up.

Anyway, no, Marshall is one of WV's two legitimate universities, as defined by WV Code 18B and by the appropriate accreditation bodies. If you had the ability to read the entire thread in context you would know that I was referring to MU and WVU as distinct from the state colleges

That doesn't change the fact that Marshall is still a state college by the normal and accepted usage of the phrase. Any unique definition you want to claim that the state of WV has designated doesn't change the meaning an use of the phrase for the rest of the county.

For example the current legislative session had an autonomy bill that applied to the two legitimate universities.

You failed to mention that it also applies to Potomac State, the osteopathic school, etc. It wasn't just for the "two legitimate universities."

In other words, the autonomy bill does nothing to support your argument.

Try to keep up. Or shut up.

Anyone who thinks getting a Marshall degree is "hard" is the one who needs help keeping up. Anyone who thinks a Marshall degree holds higher prestige in national recognition to most other four year schools, in or out of state, needs help keeping up.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Anyone who thinks getting a Marshall degree is "hard" is the one who needs help keeping up.

Reviewing your post history, it is pretty obvious that you are a troll and want to argue with your betters. Also obvious that you know virtually nothing about any part of MU, sports or otherwise. Not going to feed the troll any more. STFU and go away.

Reviewing your post history, it is pretty obvious that you are a troll and want to argue with your betters. Also obvious that you know virtually nothing about any part of MU, sports or otherwise. Not going to feed the troll any more. STFU and go away.

85178c8cb0251add55e82952aa570de3.jpg

I apologize for not being able to respond to this earlier. My phone has been blowing up. I put my resume showcasing my Marshall degree on Career Builder, and Google, Apple, Tesla, Exxon Mobil, PWC, and Fidelity won't stop calling. They each want me to have a group interview with alums from Stanford, Columbia, M.I.T., Cal Tech, and Duke. They thought my Marshall degree would give me an advantage over those other candidates . . . strange, considering each one of the HR employees who called me asked where Marshall was located which was then quickly followed up by "ohh, that school from the movie!"

Tell me again how Marshall isn't a "state college." If Huntington Community College were to change its name to "University of Paris," does that mean it is now located in Paris and is now considered a university? Of course not. You can't change common definitions of words. Likewise, Marshall is a state college by the common use and meaning of the phrase. Now, you can argue that it is one of a group of schools which have more freedom than the handful of other state colleges within the state, but it doesn't change the fact that it is still a state college.

Tell us again how over 50% of all black students at Auburn University are on their athletic teams. That one got you really worked up when statistics proving otherwise were presented.

Whatever, troll.

Did I say "Marshall is Duke" ? ( or MIT, or Sanford, or whatever) If so, where? LINK PLEASE, troll.

What I said was, correctly, that the path forward for MU is to market that is MORE DIFFICULT and thus provides a BETTER EDUCATION than the state colleges (defination as used by the state government).

If you don't get that, you don't have a clue.

And if you don't appreciate what MU and the people of WV did for you by funding MU, I cannot help you.

Go away, troll.

Whatever, troll.

Did I say "Marshall is Duke" ? ( or MIT, or Sanford, or whatever)

No. You said a Marshall degree is nationally respected; people know that it means the holder mastered a particular subject; it is held in higher regard than the other four year schools in the state.

None of that is true. An employer in DC doesn't care if your degree says Marshall on it, Shepherd, or Charleston.

You also said you were going to stop responding to me, so we've now seen more ridiculous claims of fact by you and more lies.

How's that Auburn search going for you?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT