ADVERTISEMENT

WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!

1. Thomson never should have started this game. He absolutely sucks. Don't give me he gets into plays better or runs the RPO so well. His stats and ability to push the ball downfield tell the tale.

2. The switch should have been made at the start of the 2nd half. You're up 10-3 with around a minute left. You throw a young QB that hasn't played in several weeks in there with a play call that expects him to be in a rhythm.

3. Doc Holliday absolutely sucks at coach pass coverage. Every season we see the same bull where they never turn their head. 3 freaking PI calls in one series all on 3rd and 4th downs.

4. With 5 minutes to go down 9 we're running a tempo like Doc thought there was another quarter to play. Should have thrown to the endzone and if not successful kicked a FG. Had we done that and got the stand the way we did on USM's next possession we get that TD and win the game. Nope instead in typical Doc fashion we have players walking up to the line with the QB with his hands on his hips looking to the sideline for the play.

I will keep rooting for the Herd, but I am done with Doc Holliday. With the guys we have on that field we should not have 1 championship in 10 years.

You guys are reaching. The answer is a lot simpler and you have heard it so many times! We don't have the money! BOOM....Nailed it!!!!!!

I agree, both Green and Thompson are just ineffective. Next year fellas!!

No Green played a lot better than Thmsn did. At least the offense moved. He had three times the yards Thmsn did. As a matter of fact in one half of play, Green had more passing yards than Thmsn had over his last 6 quarters of play. Playing Thmsn in the first place played a huge role in losing this game.

When was the last time a Marshall DB turned his head around and tried to make a play on the ball instead of running into the receiver?

It happened today on Southern Miss’s first TD. Kereon Merrell had good position, turned his head, but got “Moss’d.”

When was the last time a Marshall DB turned his head around and tried to make a play on the ball instead of running into the receiver?

Swag - Doc's one good corner recruit in 9 years.
Leggett - Doc's other good corner recruit that he turned into a safety and then kicked off the team.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
It happened today on Southern Miss’s first TD. Kereon Merrell had good position, turned his head, but got “Moss’d.”

*turned his before the ball touched the receiver's hands. Their receiver was already catching the ball when he turned last second.

Life ain't hard. You know the guy is running a fade to the corner. You know where he is going, you have a hand on him, why are you staring at him?

*turned his before the ball touched the receiver's hands. Their receiver was already catching the ball when he turned last second.

Life ain't hard. You know the guy is running a fade to the corner. You know where he is going, you have a hand on him, why are you staring at him?
That is what I have been saying for a while now! How hard is it if other teams D is doing it?

Ehhh....he was looking before the ball was in the receiver’s hands

My bigger issue on that play is shown below. Whoever that outside linebacker is should be walked way out from where he is as the red line shows. There are plenty of defenders to account for every gap in that formation and even to play cover 0 and still have EVERYONE ELSE account for a gap. That OLB can walk out and still be the edge/contain defender.

When receivers tighten their splits, like the receiver to the boundary (the receiver at the bottom of the screen), it's because he is running an outside breaking route (fade or corner in this case). If a receiver widens his split, it is because he is running an inside breaking route. The receiver to the field (top of the screen) didn't necessarily tighten his split, but since he is to the field, he still leaves a lot of room for the QB to throw the fade ball.

With that OLB so far inside the box, it puts the CB to the field with absolutely no help. The CB is already 4" shorter, so he has a nightmare to deal with on a fade ball already. But to then make him cover the slant route with absolutely no chance at help? You're asking too much.

Walking the OLB allows him the ability to clog the slant window. In turn, that allows the CB to anticipate the fade more and beat the receiver to the spot without having to worry about getting beat on the slant. If it's a run, the OLB can still react in time to be the edge defender.

xLed49h.jpg

My bigger issue on that play is shown below. Whoever that outside linebacker is should be walked way out from where he is as the red line shows. There are plenty of defenders to account for every gap in that formation and even to play cover 0 and still have EVERYONE ELSE account for a gap. That OLB can walk out and still be the edge/contain defender.

When receivers tighten their splits, like the receiver to the boundary (the receiver at the bottom of the screen), it's because he is running an outside breaking route (fade or corner in this case). If a receiver widens his split, it is because he is running an inside breaking route. The receiver to the field (top of the screen) didn't necessarily tighten his split, but since he is to the field, he still leaves a lot of room for the QB to throw the fade ball.

With that OLB so far inside the box, it puts the CB to the field with absolutely no help. The CB is already 4" shorter, so he has a nightmare to deal with on a fade ball already. But to then make him cover the slant route with absolutely no chance at help? You're asking too much.

Walking the OLB allows him the ability to clog the slant window. In turn, that allows the CB to anticipate the fade more and beat the receiver to the spot without having to worry about getting beat on the slant. If it's a run, the OLB can still react in time to be the edge defender.

xLed49h.jpg

I agree. We have 8 in the box but the OLB needs to split out. Odds are corner fade is coming to the right with more distance and the mismatch, he is not one on one, he has to watch slant too. Great breakdown. Safety should eye this skinny fvcker lined right of the QB, he is not going to be a runner.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Ohhhhh! Congratulations for pointing out ONE TIME
Ehhh....he was looking before the ball was in the receiver’s hands

really? That is your evidence? Congratulations to the lame db for stripping the ball AFTER the TD! You are such an apologist it is amazing. The secondary was pathetic and has been for two years at least. His head got around as the ball got into his hands. Now if you are not saying this is a good play, my apologies.

Even you have to see that this secondary and offense needs a giant enema.

Reactions: Timtnt9
I’m not saying Rifle is wrong at all. Hell, he’s forgotten more football than I know, but notwithstanding that, is it not true that our secondary routinely gets burned because they can’t/won’t get their head around?

Point of clarification: If I am wrong, my apologies to Josh.

He didn't even attempt to make a play on that ball. He did turn his head and was in position to jump and make a play. Instead he watched it go by and then did a little swat after the ball had already been caught. He didn't get Moss'd. He didn't make a play.

xLed49h.jpg

I lose count how many times a game this happens.

Reactions: herdinmichigan
Lol! The Marshall mantra.

Next year will be worse unless we get a hot shot Juco QB in here. The ones on roster are not D1 QB’s.
Green should develop into a good one as he matures as a player and if he works on his mechanics and footwork. Green had a decent game minus the fumble so we should go with him the rest of the season.

As for JUCOs, there are only a handful of good ones and most of them have committed to other programs. Green is the future unless he gets beaten out by one of the Freshmen in the current recruiting class.

Reactions: ohio herd
Green should develop into a good one as he matures as a player and if he works on his mechanics and footwork. Green had a decent game minus the fumble so we should go with him the rest of the season.

As for JUCOs, there are only a handful of good ones and most of them have committed to other programs. Green is the future unless he gets beaten out by one of the Freshmen in the current recruiting class.

I like Green and his potential, but from some posts, it seems he is a head case. I hope he can mature and improve - I think he can be really good in a year or so. A very similar progression like Cato.

I like Green and his potential, but from some posts, it seems he is a head case. I hope he can mature and improve - I think he can be really good in a year or so. A very similar progression like Cato.
Cato was immature like Green supposedly is, but he had that competitive edge and nastiness that helped him create wins for his teams. I'm not sure Green has that to be honest, but he at least had that great game winning drive against WKU that showed he is competitive and potentially a gamer.

Reactions: chuck1069
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT