ADVERTISEMENT

What will Spears do?

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
When hired he said he would evaluate Coach D’antoni at seasons end. Will Mr Spears try to get us in a Pay to Play tournament or base his evaluation on what Coach D’antoni and team accomplished this season. Will Spears keep him based on a 24-7 season or let him go? I don’t know the answer. Just asking for other’s opinions.

Reactions: Elkview
youre fired donald trump GIF

Reactions: Elkview and Jartard
When hired he said he would evaluate Coach D’antoni at seasons end. Will Mr Spears try to get us in a Pay to Play tournament or base his evaluation on what Coach D’antoni and team accomplished this season. Will Spears keep him based on a 24-7 season or let him go? I don’t know the answer. Just asking for other’s opinions.

You sort of answered your own question.

Dan complained about the SBC being lesser than CUSA, and his worthless self can't even win a tournament game, when the team was supposedly good.

He had a regular season title on the line and blew it.

He played nobody OOC of note that would even give the impression this team was actually good.

What Marshall got instead was the same, tired, old method of coaching.

Dan struggled to win in a higher rated CUSA...and he just blew TWO major games in a row, to a lesser SBC season and tournament.

Don't extend his contract and move on.

Don't extend his contract and move on.
We have a winner... Have a presser next week announcing that DD is "retiring"... Hand him a gold watch, a hoodie from Glenns and a hearty thank you for his decade of service.

Get it out there across the country that we have an opening and are looking for an up and coming young coach (preferably from a team that has been a consistent winner the past few seasons). Develop a list of 5-8 candidates and be ready to start interviewing the day after the NCAA tournament ends.

Wishful thinking to believe anything is going to change. Same coach for next year, same system, same tarps, same weak schedule. About the only change will be the loss of our top player. I expect next season to be 12-13 wins at best.

However, all is not lost. Maybe we can get hot in the tournament next year like Texas State and actually win a game.

Well this may give some idea. This from President Brad Smith today on his Twitter:

President Brad D. S... 47m

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions" - Bill Walsh. Those words describe the character and performance of this team, this coaching staff and this season. Champions in our hearts! Forever Marshall!

Reactions: horsrman
We have a winner... Have a presser next week announcing that DD is "retiring"... Hand him a gold watch, a hoodie from Glenns and a hearty thank you for his decade of service.

Get it out there across the country that we have an opening and are looking for an up and coming young coach (preferably from a team that has been a consistent winner the past few seasons). Develop a list of 5-8 candidates and be ready to start interviewing the day after the NCAA tournament ends.
that’s sounds awful logical. Probably too logical for us.

Reactions: RhinoD
Well this may give some idea. This from President Brad Smith today on his Twitter:

President Brad D. S... 47m

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions" - Bill Walsh. Those words describe the character and performance of this team, this coaching staff and this season. Champions in our hearts! Forever Marshall!
He and Dan have been friends for a long time. Same as with Dan's sister.

This will be a difficult move by Spears. We can only hope Dan will accept he's old, never was a great head coach and ride off into the sunset.

Gregg Marshall. He's a proven winner that needs to recclaim his name. He got a nice payout so we won't have to empty the bank accounts. Gregg gets his reputation back to a respectable degree and we get ACTUAL winning basketball.

He and Dan have been friends for a long time. Same as with Dan's sister.

This will be a difficult move by Spears. We can only hope Dan will accept he's old, never was a great head coach and ride off into the sunset.
We expect this from a guy that blamed last season on everything from COVID to the players being aimless without as school President in place.

Gregg Marshall. He's a proven winner that needs to recclaim his name. He got a nice payout so we won't have to empty the bank accounts. Gregg gets his reputation back to a respectable degree and we get ACTUAL winning basketball.
John Brannen

• Wow
I'll take Marshall over Brannen 10 times out of 10.
Who wouldn't. There's this thing called finances that would probably be a big hurdle. MU would be a good job for him for character rebuilding, for sure. But he's getting paid $46K every two weeks from WSU, NOT to coach.

Dan will be back for next season, won't be able to replace Kinsey, finishes less than 20 wins, mid pack in the league, attendance drops, and "retires" after the 23-24 season. jmho

I hope to goodness that none of the existing coaches on staff are considered for the HC gig, when the job comes open.

Who wouldn't. There's this thing called finances that would probably be a big hurdle. MU would be a good job for him for character rebuilding, for sure. But he's getting paid $46K every two weeks from WSU, NOT to coach.
I don't think it will be in this case. Due to his baggage Marshall's name isn't a hot one and he got a pretty good buyout when he was terminated at WSU. He needs a job at a respectable program to rehab his image. Under normal circumstances you would be correct, but I think this is a perfect storm.

However I think these conversations are all for not because I fully expect Dan to be the coach next season. We had a clean break from him this past off season and didn't take it and then allowed him to water down the schedule to inflate his win total so that he could show "improvement." Dan has the blue hairs that will never stop singing his praises, the cult leader fans that have no aspirations for anything other that worshipping him, his sister and a friend or two on the BOG, and Brad Smith is a big Dan D'Antoni fan as well. Spears would be the guy to pull the trigger and he's the new guy in town cannot just make the decision on his own.

We'll receive some announcement in the coming weeks about Dan's new deal and it will be propped up by the manufactured "sell outs" and the padded win total. You'll take it and you'll like it or you're just a bad fan.

Reactions: HerdnBucks
Dan will be back for next season, won't be able to replace Kinsey, finishes less than 20 wins, mid pack in the league, attendance drops, and "retires" after the 23-24 season. jmho

I hope to goodness that none of the existing coaches on staff are considered for the HC gig, when the job comes open.
And when the win total drops he'll be able to hang that on losing Kinsey and needing to "rebuild" because we're "young" and he'll be standing there on the sideline with his arms crossed seemingly clueless until he decides he wants out and at that point he'll be celebrated by the Danites like was Cam Henderson.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
CS will do....

exactly as he is told. Keeping DD was, and remains, the price of getting the AD job here. That simple.

This is a token effort.

Marshall basketball, with few exceptions, has bee irrelevant for over 30 years. I don’t see the trend changing in the foreseeable future.

And when the win total drops he'll be able to hang that on losing Kinsey and needing to "rebuild" because we're "young" and he'll be standing there on the sideline with his arms crossed seemingly clueless until he decides he wants out and at that point he'll be celebrated by the Danites like was Cam Henderson.
The funny thing about that is... We won't be "young"

Next year's most likely starting five as of today, with their class next year --

PG -- Braun (Jr.)
SG -- Curfman (Sr.)
SF -- Conner (Soph.)
PF -- OAK (Sr.)
C -- Handlogten (Soph.)

By today's college basketball standards, if you start two seniors, four guys with significant experience, and zero freshmen you are not a young team... Obviously, there is a definite chance a PG from the portal could come in in place of starting Braun.

Next year's most likely starting five as of today, with their class next year --

PG -- Braun (Jr.)
SG -- Curfman (Sr.)
SF -- Conner (Soph.)
PF -- OAK (Sr.)
C -- Handlogten (Soph.)

By today's college basketball standards, if you start two seniors, four guys with significant experience, and zero freshmen you are not a young team... Obviously, there is a definite chance a PG from the portal could come in in place of starting Braun.
…..and don’t leave Taylor off that list! He has a year of eligibility left. Good bet he will be back!

PG -- Braun (Jr.)
SG -- Curfman (Sr.)
SF -- Conner (Soph.)
PF -- OAK (Sr.)
C -- Handlogten (Soph.)

No, but Dan always says we are and somehow people buy it.

…..and don’t leave Taylor off that list! He has a year of eligibility left. Good bet he will be back!
He's expected to return. Although according to a poster on Herdfans Taylor, Handgloten, and another player's parents told Spears that if Dan is not retained they will be leaving the program. How true that is I don't know.

Greg Marshall would be a very good coach for The HERD------WHEN our very capable, current leader decides WHEN he wants to retire!

Dan loves Marshall...and will do anything for the betterment of Huntington, the alumnae, and HERD basketball. All one has to do is watch Dan's press conference after the Texas State loss, and an emotion Tavion Kinsey, holding back the tears & sharing Coach Dan was the reason he returned his senior year. Kinsey went on to explain that D'Antoni is a great coach...and the TEAM supports him to the max!

Andy Taylor decided to come to Marshall once Dan recruited him in high school. Dan's biggest recruiting challenge will be to persuade Taylor to return for his final (Covid) year [2023-2024]

Remember, the Texas State Bobcats were Sunbelt Conference Champions in 2021, and 2022....and Davion Sykes was 1st team All Sunbelt in 2021, 2nd team in 2022....and 3rd team in 2023.

He's expected to return. Although according to a poster on Herdfans Taylor, Handgloten, and another player's parents told Spears that if Dan is not retained they will be leaving the program. How true that is I don't know.
And, this PROVES how much the players & their parents love and TRUST Dan.....Dan does not read HERD Nation, nor any boards from fans that don't know Sh&T about coaching......

Last edited:
Greg Marshall would be a very good coach for The HERD------WHEN our very capable, current leader decides WHEN he wants to retire!

Dan loves Marshall...and will do anything for the betterment of Huntington, the alumnae, and HERD basketball. All one has to do is watch Dan's press conference after the Texas State loss, and an emotion Tavion Kinsey, holding back the tears & sharing Coach Dan was the reason he returned his senior year. Kinsey went on to explain that D'Antoni is a great coach...and the TEAM supports him to the max!

Andy Taylor decided to come to Marshall once Dan recruited him in high school. Dan's biggest recruiting challenge will be to persuade Taylor to return for his final (Covid) year [2023-2024]

Remember, the Texas State Bobcats were Sunbelt Conference Champions in 2021, and 2022....and Davion Sykes was 1st team All Sunbelt in 2021, 2nd team in 2022....and 3rd team in 2023.
Dan is not a very capable leader. If so we wouldn't have so many late game and late season collapses.

Also all players think their coach is the best coach ever and should never be fired. Fact is Dan does not produce enough to warrant being employed as our HC any longer than his current 1yr deal lasts.

If Dan loves Marshall as much as he claims then he would retire. Instead he'll continue to run power plays behind the scenes and grift the fans with his padded schedules while still not winning any game of substance.

And, this PROVES how much the players & their parents love and TRUST Dan.....Dan does not read HERD Nation, nor any boards from fans that don't Sh&T about coaching......
Help me understand something. If championships aren't a benchmark for success within our program; how do we define that success? Having good kids, winning 20 plus games a year?
You know Dan well it seems, how does he define a successful year?

And, this PROVES how much the players & their parents love and TRUST Dan.....Dan does not read HERD Nation, nor any boards from fans that don't Sh&T about coaching......
Stop it. I know Dan chocked. I don't have to be a player's parent to know that. You can keep getting emotional about your buddy all you want. Dan D'Antoni is not a great coach. He's not a good coach. He's scared to play anyone with a pulse and when he does he gets exposed.

By your logic Bill Stewart is a great HC and Doc should have been given a lifetime deal too.

Help me understand something. If championships aren't a benchmark for success within our program; how do we define that success? Having good kids, winning 20 plus games a year?
You know Dan well it seems, how does he define a successful year?
Wins don't matter. They just want to yuck it up with their buddy. D-I is a zero sum bottom line business and the bottom line is that Dan D'Antoni can't get the job done anymore and is 75 years old.

All this talk about his "style". Lol. Yea it's real hard just to tell all your guys they have a green light to chuck it from anywhere. Just look at Taylor's last heave to the game the other night or his meltdown fest in the final two minutes of the ODU game that cost us the NIT.

MARSHALL BASKETBALL NEEDS CHANGE.

I'm shocked by the level of completely blind support DD appears to have from some on here... It's beyond fanatical.

Doc had his die-hard supporters, but not to this level... Is it just because DD graduated from Marshall 50 years ago? Is it because he's funny in his pressers and wears a hillbilly t-shirt under his blazer? I don't get it.

The reason a vast majority of folks wanted Doc gone was because MU always had good regular season records but never could win the big game to get over the hump, win the league title, etc... Now we have the same situation in basketball, and DD is some untouchable MU deity?

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Stop it. I know Dan chocked. I don't have to be a player's parent to know that. You can keep getting emotional about your buddy all you want. Dan D'Antoni is not a great coach. He's not a good coach. He's scared to play anyone with a pulse and when he does he gets exposed.

By your logic Bill Stewart is a great HC and Doc should have been given a lifetime deal too.
Bleeds.....you are so FULL of SH&t.....that your nose is BROWN. How much coaching experience do you have!!! You HIDE behind A COMPUTER & TALK Smack.....and BTW...some folks did not want Bill Stewart fired nor my buddy, DOC.

Wins don't matter. They just want to yuck it up with their buddy. D-I is a zero sum bottom line business and the bottom line is that Dan D'Antoni can't get the job done anymore and is 75 years old.

All this talk about his "style". Lol. Yea it's real hard just to tell all your guys they have a green light to chuck it from anywhere. Just look at Taylor's last heave to the game the other night or his meltdown fest in the final two minutes of the ODU game that cost us the NIT.

MARSHALL BASKETBALL NEEDS CHANGE.
Bleeds....TELL TAYLOR to his FACE he cost The HERD the ODU game, Texas State and an NIT Bid.......You are too chicken to meet him in person.....You Stink.

Just look at Taylor's last heave to the game the other night
Bleeds, all your arguments just lost weight. You’re telling me that, with 0.8 seconds left in the game, Taylor was supposed to do anything other than what he did? And to be able to catch an over the shoulder inbounds pass, turn & release before the buzzer from 24 feet with a defender on him was pretty impressive. Add to that the shot was right on target and just a bit too long; hell, when it went straight up in the air those of us in attendance thought it still had a chance.
You’ll want to consider retracting that comment…

Bleeds.....you are so FULL of SH&t.....that your nose is BROWN. How much coaching experience do you have!!! You HIDE behind A COMPUTER & TALK Smack.....and BTW...some folks did not want Bill Stewart fired nor my buddy, DOC.
Thank God we did fire him; and Hamrick too. Change was needed. Dan needs to retire soon and enjoy what he did. Th fan base owes him appreciation for bringing consistency and some good memories to the program. If people love Marshall and want the best for the school, they realize it's bigger than them or any one person.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Thank God we did fire him; and Hamrick too. Change was needed. Dan needs to retire soon and enjoy what he did. Th fan base owes him appreciation for bringing consistency and some good memories to the program. If people love Marshall and want the best for the school, they realize it's bigger than them or any one person.
INTERESTING REPLY.....

Dan will do what is the BEST for Marshall.....he is a YOUNG 75...even with a new hip.

Bleeds, all your arguments just lost weight. You’re telling me that, with 0.8 seconds left in the game, Taylor was supposed to do anything other than what he did? And to be able to catch an over the shoulder inbounds pass, turn & release before the buzzer from 24 feet with a defender on him was pretty impressive. Add to that the shot was right on target and just a bit too long; hell, when it went straight up in the air those of us in attendance thought it still had a chance.
You’ll want to consider retracting that comment…
TRUE DAT'.....I would have put $$$ that Taylor would have been a HERO....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT