ADVERTISEMENT

What will Spears do?

This seems entirely reasonable... No one is saying we need 8 P5 games or anything ridiculous, but we certainly need 2-3 P5 games and several more against comparable mid-majors.

The first two games of the year, hell play Coppin State and Tennessee State, win by 20, everyone gets to play, mommy and daddy can post to Facebook how proud they are, etc.

After that... Real basketball starts.
I would also like to see us have a presence in Cincinnati area....play UC, X or Dayton. No Miami or Wright St.

Morehead State (21-12) -- Because we always want Morehead
that is true stephen colbert GIF by Obama

Reactions: 120050143
20 wins, heck 24 wins, is NOT an accomplishment.
Only for teams that never win anything. 108 other teams won 20 games this season. One hundred and eight. Teams that brag about winning 20 games are teams that have no other accomplishments. Once our fans open their eyes and see that we might start to improve.

Dan will do what’s best for Marshall, no other questions needed. He gave us an incredibly clean program with student athletes who we all would sit across the dinner table and enjoy their company. He won more games than he lost and gave us entertainment. DD is 75 years old. He’ll know when he has to go. I’m on the record as saying THANK YOU!!!!!!!

We just went to freaking Notre Dame. You don't get much more blue blood than that. We're playing VT and @NCST this season. While I am not the biggest Huff fan, he sure isn't scared to go up against anyone.
Surely to God everyone on here will agree that Charles Huff had absolutely no, zero say on the Notre Dame game. That was scheduled (probably) before he was even hired!
The NC St game fell into our laps, which is great, but not anything planned for by ourAD or HC.
Likewise, the VT game was already set, as are games already scheduled through 2027, I think.

If you want to thrash DD for this recent season’s schedule, certainly. But - don’t try to make a comparison to football scheduling tied to our recently hired football coach…..

Surely to God everyone on here will agree that Charles Huff had absolutely no, zero say on the Notre Dame game. That was scheduled (probably) before he was even hired!
The NC St game fell into our laps, which is great, but not anything planned for by ourAD or HC.
Likewise, the VT game was already set, as are games already scheduled through 2027, I think.

If you want to thrash DD for this recent season’s schedule, certainly. But - don’t try to make a comparison to football scheduling tied to our recently hired football coach…..
Well, doubt if Huff has much, if any, say so on whom MU football schedules and plays. As noted, most OOC games are scheduled several years down the road, unlike basketball where, at least at MU the same OOC games are scheduled only a year ahead, maybe two in some cases (home and home, perhaps a tourney). Supposedly, at least under Hamrick, Danny and his assistants lined up the OOC games on the HERD's schedules, which Hamrick either said ok or asked for some changes.

Bottom line appears to be that Danny D. has a lot more say so, maybe "control", over his schedule, or the OOC portion, than does his counterpart in HERD football!!

Sooooooooo…….what I think I hear you saying is that by removing best year (17-18) and worst (21-22?) we are left with average to bad basketball. Why not extrapolate this theory to the totality of the 100+ years we have been competing in the game?
Here goes:
Take away the ‘47-48 NAIB Natty champs,
All of the NCAA tourney teams, throw out the ‘67 NIT run when DD & George Stone took the big Apple by storm, add to that list any other year we were invited to the NIT……then what are you left with? Decades upon decades of average to bad basketball. Agree with that Bleeds?
My point: Why are we always bitching & moaning about hiring a bball coach to take us to the promised land when all we’ve ever done is wander around in the desert??
I'm sorry, but this makes no sense whatsoever. Your argument is "since we've always sucked, we might as well continue to suck"? Wtf???

No I was not saying Huff scheduled that game and I really don't care who is responsible. The point is the football program takes every opportunity it can to play above our weight class and the basketball does not.

No I was not saying Huff scheduled that game and I really don't care who is responsible. The point is the football program takes every opportunity it can to play above our weight class and the basketball does not.

Lets be honest here...Football does it more often because we get BIG time money to do so.

Teams get what 90k in bball to make that type of a trip to a bigger school? And the game is typically played when football season is still going on, so not many fans go.

Fact remains, people can rip on this years schedule all they want. Take off two of the lesser teams and replace with two big schools. We are now 22 - 10. Also at that point the rest of the schedule is nearly exactly the same as it always has.

If the AD (Spears) has a great degree of control when it comes to football scheduling, then hopefully CS tells Danny that this weak scheduling shit has got to stop, and makes it so.
Then you get into the challenge of finding a slot in a P5’s ‘23-‘24 schedule that is willing to pay MU to come take their beating…

Lets be honest here...Football does it more often because we get BIG time money to do so.

Teams get what 90k in bball to make that type of a trip to a bigger school? And the game is typically played when football season is still going on, so not many fans go.

Fact remains, people can rip on this years schedule all they want. Take off two of the lesser teams and replace with two big schools. We are now 22 - 10. Also at that point the rest of the schedule is nearly exactly the same as it always has.
Because it does us no good in trying to get at-large bids to either the NCAA or NIT.

I agree with this, and I definitely think it should change. BUT, the football team needs to try to schedule those games as the current system of qualifying for a bid would need to have big wins on it. Basketball technically does not. If there is any hope of a future NCAA bid without winning the conference in bball, we would need a massive OOC upgrade. An instance would be FAU this year- if they didnt win their tourney, they'd still be in. But 30-3 is going to get you in. If we wanted to go 28-5, and not win SBC, we better have some quad 1 wins, not quad 42 wins like Glenville State.

Just pointing out the difference in football and basketball schedule perspectives.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Akron (22-11) -- Because for some reason we always have to play Akron
Morehead State (21-12) -- Because we always want Morehead

I had a feeling you should have stopped with Akron and Morehead was going to come back and bite you...

Because it does us no good in trying to get at-large bids to either the NCAA or NIT.
If we replace two of the patsies on the schedule with two bigger name schools and compete well,. we likely get an NIT bid, even if we lose both. jmho.
Dan needs to understand that. Hell, I bet the kids would love it as well.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
If we replace two of the patsies on the schedule with two bigger name schools and compete well,. we likely get an NIT bid, even if we lose both. jmho.
For some reason Dan is in love with playing an old WVIAC school in the regular season! Maybe Nostalgia...but it has to stop!

With the system the way it is now, it is absolutely better to lose to a Quad 1 team on the road than it is to beat a Quad 4 team... That's not opinion, that's a fact.

Drop the DII game, and drop two of our Quad 4 nobodies (Coppin State, Miami Ohio, Chicago State, Robert Morris, etc)... and play 3 quality opponents. Best case scenario would be one at home and two on the road, but realistically most years all three will be on the road.

Even if you lose all 3, its better for you than beating the teams mentioned above. And we get plenty of Quad 4 action in our mediocre conference, so there is still ample time to rack up garbage wins.

I get that, BUT, Dan knew this team. This team had three freshman playing a lot of minutes.

We dont know what the team would have been like had they lost to two or three bigger schools by a lot.

This schedule got them used to winning.

Without that, maybe we lose three more conference games because we didnt have any confidence.

Just saying, who knows how it would have played out really.

This worked, and at the end of the day, it almost worked out perfectly. We were 6 minutes away from an auto bid. But lost.

And we were, as best as i can tell, the highest rated NET team that didnt make the NCAA or NIT. So we were right there.

I get that, BUT, Dan knew this team. This team had three freshman playing a lot of minutes.

We dont know what the team would have been like had they lost to two or three bigger schools by a lot.

Without that, maybe we lose three more conference games because we didnt have any confidence.

Just saying, who knows how it would have played out really.

This worked, and at the end of the day, it almost worked out perfectly. We were 6 minutes away from an auto bid. But lost.

And we were, as best as i can tell, the highest rated NET team that didnt make the NCAA or NIT. So we were right there.
Love your optimism, Aaron, but the point others are trying to make is that, had we played 2-3 games vs quad 1 schools, we may have been better prepared to finish ODU off, and certainly ready to close out Tx St and at least make the semis. We were right there…..and choked.

You are inadvertently making my point for me... We were the first team left out of the two tournaments (based on NET). If we would have dropped Glenville State and a couple bottom feeders, and played good teams, our NET would have been higher -- Even if we lost those games -- And we likely would have been selected for the NIT.

You have to play somebody... Have to... Whether DD like it or not, whether he thinks it will effect the teams fragile psyche, etc.

You are inadvertently making my point for me... We were the first team left out of the two tournaments (based on NET). If we would have dropped Glenville State and a couple bottom feeders, and played good teams, our NET would have been higher -- Even if we lost those games -- And we likely would have been selected for the NIT.

You have to play somebody... Have to... Whether DD like it or not, whether he thinks it will effect the teams fragile psyche, etc.
Agree. Not to mention if the kids had any competitive juices whatsoever, they would love to take on a big boy or two.

That's always the excuse with Dan. We're always young. No Dan knew he needed to show "improvement" so he made an OoC schedule that would guarantee him 20+ wins.

So since we were hamstrung by youth on this team and now we are losing our best player in Kinsey does that mean we're going to have to go even softer for 2023-24 to allow the team to learn to play without him?

Wow that's a reach. It sure didn't prepare them for dropping ULM or allow ODU and TXST to control the final minutes of the games taking away any hopes of legitimate post season play we had. Those games alone disprove your theory. No what this OoC slate did is give the players a relatively easy path to 20 wins where they went pretty much untested all season long and when it came time to lock it they couldn't do it.

It did not work because as you attempted to claim that it "got us used to winning" when it clearly didn't and Dan claimed the rationale was to get ready for March because those are the only games that mattered and we failed to win the two most important games of the season. The final two. So no. No it didn't work.

Well then again if we're actually being honest about the true motives it worked. It padded Dan's wins which got him an extension and now he has the zealots out here arguing his case with nonsense.

Last edited:

Come on man honest people know this schedule was for one purpose and one purpose only. Saving Dan's job. The win column increased with patsies and the zealots ate it up. Forgetting that we once again failed to win the important games in March.

Once again Marshall is at home watching March Madness instead of participating in it. We lose to a former D-II school, ULM and ODU which both cost us the NIT bid, and we got bounced in our first conference tournament game by an 11th seeded team. Yet somehow that is viewed as a success and our soon to be 76 year old HC gets another contract.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT