ADVERTISEMENT

Will Hamrick Pay

I bet if he did the players' hearts wouldn't be in it. Much like the Herrion years when we went.

Imagine we play in the CIT or CBI, the players go through the motions, lose, and Elmore scores like 15.

That could happen.

I love Elmore and he has been fun to watch, but if this team hadn't gone in the tank for a chunk of the conference slate Elmore would already have the record.

Torn but kind of agree. Hate to see us play in a 4th rate tournament just to set a major record. Jon will still go down as one of the greatest ever & get his jersey retired. But he wasn’t as good this year as he should have been, nor was the team. He had every opportunity to break it. He’s already had 33 games this year. But I can see the other side of it too. If we play it, Skip should be furloughed for 48 hours to come & sit courtside. :D

Save the money. This season was a major disappointment and I think they should just call it what it is and start to focus on next year.

That being said, this senior class was something special and did great things for the Herd. I hate that they have to go out on such a downer, but I don’t think playing (and likely not winning) a pay to play tournament that nobody cares about is worth the $$$.

Time to move on - Spring ball up next.

I'd say most of the team wants to play. Not sure about CJ. He just looks like he is toast. Great careers he and Jon had.

100% chance this happens. It allows Marshall to shift a record from a man in prison to a golden boy, and the crowds will show up large enough that MU will make money on it.

Reactions: GreenDuke
The only reason to pay to play is to get some more court time for under-classmen. Not to break some record. Take the $50K and put it in the baseball fund.

Move on.

I agree. Everyone always points to gaining experience for the younger players when they argue for these tournaments. The fact is the young players aren't going to get anymore run than usual because you're going to allow the seniors to go out and have fun in their final game. They're not riding the pine. And because Elmore is 20-22 points shy of breaking the record you know that will be the main focus. More so then winning the game will be because it's a meaningless tournament and his status is the strongest argument for this.

To me "buying" additional games cheapens the accomplishment of that record. Skip didn't get the benefit of playing in a CIT/CBI pay for play style tournament to pad his stats.

I have mixed feelings on the pay for play tournament. One one hand you play more games and get reps for the underclassmen. On the second hand, paying to play and so a guy can set a record in a meaningless tournament? Not so much for it. We already have a mysterious game with VMI. That might be enough.

To me (as a fan) it's a simple argument. I'm not in charge of making sure we make a profit on it or not and trust that that decision will be made by the people who have that responsibility. As a fan, I love watching Marshall basketball and I'll take advantage of any opportunity to see more. Sign me up - I'll be there and will love it and I'll be proud to say I watched Jon Elmore break Skip Henderson's all time points record.

I could care less about "cheapening someone's accomplishment" (that BTW they did in 3.5 seasons) or "drawing attention to how we sucked" (wtf?). How are these decisions affecting your life in such a negative way? I wonder - is this how the imaginary conversations in your head go when you're talking to Joe Basketball-fan?

Played in CIT:
Joe BF: So how did the Herd do last year?
Herd Fan: Lost in 2nd round of the tourney to Southern Miss. Played a couple games in the Collegeinsider tournament.
Joe BF: Oh yeah I saw that. Can't believe you guys played in that. Really highlights how much you SUCKED last year!

Didn't Play in CIT:
Joe BF: So how did the Herd do last year?
Herd Fan: Lost in 2nd round of the tourney to Southern Miss. Watched the NCAA from home again.
Joe BF: Shew...at least you didn't have to play in a meaningless postseason tournament! I respect the herd so much more for that!

Ridiculous - yall need to learn how to enjoy watching Marshall sports a little bit. Yes it's about winning and losing and it's a lot more fun when we win, but it seems people want to jump off bridges and go all "woe is me" and "we suck" every time we lose.

I think these 2 tourneys draw more attention to yourself as having sucked than just staying home. Fans are scarcely impressed by who wins the NIT, let alone who competed. There's just no interest left over at this point for these made up tournaments.

Agree. Even the NIT is just a "participation trophy" juice box and cookie thing now. This team went into the season with high expectations and totally failed. Playing a game or two against some random loser one bid league team(s) just reminds everyone of the total steaming pile that is this program.

Pack us the unis, and move on.

Agree. Even the NIT is just a "participation trophy" juice box and cookie thing now. This team went into the season with high expectations and totally failed. Playing a game or two against some random loser one bid league team(s) just reminds everyone of the total steaming pile that is this program.

Pack us the unis, and move on.
I can't say the basketball program is a steaming pile. That would be the Freeman years. They just had one of the biggest and perhaps biggest run at the end of last season. This year was a disappointment and they started playing good too late. But, I don't think it is correct at this point to call it a steaming pile.

Reactions: herdfan93
I can't say the basketball program is a steaming pile. That would be the Freeman years. They just had one of the biggest and perhaps biggest run at the end of last season. This year was a disappointment and they started playing good too late. But, I don't think it is correct at this point to call it a steaming pile.

What you're glorifying is what multiple teams a year do.
Outside of MU and WSU, nobody's gonna remember last season. Nobody cares either. Upsets in the tournament happen each year. Hell, MU was overshadowed by UMBC and Loyola by a couple million miles.
This season sucked and was evident early on only the conference tournament mattered despite people rejoicing we beat FAU, FIU, and Rice when it was expected we should.

I can.

Non-conference. Three step up games. Lost by 37 to a mid-pack Big 10 team, 36, could have been 100, to a very good ACC team that played its water boy, and 24 to an SEC bottom feeder. Five games against equal to CUSA leagues' teams. 2-3, including a 17 point beat down to an Ohio team that finished dead last in the MAC East. Conference: Easily handled by most of the good teams, slipped by ODU early. 11-7. Fifty point assream by a a mediocre USM which lost to a D II preacher's college. 19-14 overall, 6th in a conference where a third of the teams don't even try. Goes on this supposed "run" at the end that was a function of finishing in the middle pod in this stupid pod system and taking out those lightweights. Lose in the first full round of conf. tournament to the three seed. At least not by 50 again.

A steaming pile. A laughing stock. Out coached, out manned (which means out-recruited), and out hussled.

And there is no reason to believe next year will not be worse.

This program is going nowhere.

Sam and Sam Jr are on fire today! You can tell that they've both been chomping at the bit to bash the basketball program and now that we've lost to Southern Miss, they can gleefully talk down to the folks that discussed it in a positive way.

So to the two of you, congrats on the loss. I mean it, I'm glad you two are so excited about it.

Disclaimer
: Don't give me that bullshit about "We just want to see it succeed"... the two of you have gone way beyond that and to say otherwise would be disingenuous.

the folks that discussed it in a positive way.

You mean the people who were wrong? The people that had one response to the realistic analysis given by myself, and SEVERAL other posters. "We might just get hot in the conference tournament and who knows".

How long are we going to put up with that? DEMAND BETTER.

Reactions: Ninegate
Sam and Sam Jr are on fire today! You can tell that they've both been chomping at the bit to bash the basketball program and now that we've lost to Southern Miss, they can gleefully talk down to the folks that discussed it in a positive way.

So to the two of you, congrats on the loss. I mean it, I'm glad you two are so excited about it.

Disclaimer
: Don't give me that bullshit about "We just want to see it succeed"... the two of you have gone way beyond that and to say otherwise would be disingenuous.

Oh Armin, if only you could treat basketball the same way with football, you'd see where some are coming from.
Am I excited for the loss? Nope. Surprised? Nope. This team never shook the same problems they found themselves having at the start of the season, trailing by double digits early and often. Their patterns for winning were evident...shoot the hell out of the ball and hope it goes in. Same with losing, which there never seemed to be any adjustments made when MU was cold shooting.
I think this year's team warrants the same criticism as the football team...they were better than what they showed. I am optimistic about the future of both.

You aren’t realistic at all. Not even close to realistic. You have been shown over and over and over again facts about the history of our basketball program and what we have accomplished under the current coach after 5 years. But you come back and say that we suck and that he sucks. You say this year was a steaming pile which is ridiculous. Was it disappointing yeah it was but we were the same record as Southern Miss in conference and we won 19 games. We also beat ODU and Western Ky the two best teams in the conference.

We did this while having to replace one of our two best players and our only true big man. IB was not in the plans to play a ton of minutes this year until Penava.

Realistic my butt.

Oh Armin, if only you could treat basketball the same way with football, you'd see where some are coming from.

To be fair, you could also say that some people need to treat football the same way they do basketball.

Am I excited for the loss? Nope. Surprised? Nope. This team never shook the same problems they found themselves having at the start of the season, trailing by double digits early and often. Their patterns for winning were evident...shoot the hell out of the ball and hope it goes in. Same with losing, which there never seemed to be any adjustments made when MU was cold shooting.
I think this year's team warrants the same criticism as the football team...they were better than what they showed. I am optimistic about the future of both.

This is a good post with valid criticisms. The lack of adjustments when we were cold coupled with the lack of timeouts when the opposing team went on a run were frustrating.

If what the two of you did was more like this, I not only wouldn't call you out on it, but I would probably agree with some of it and we could have good discussion.

However...

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!! Have fun polishing the turd of a season we had.

I can.

Non-conference. Three step up games. Lost by 37 to a mid-pack Big 10 team, 36, could have been 100, to a very good ACC team that played its water boy, and 24 to an SEC bottom feeder. Five games against equal to CUSA leagues' teams. 2-3, including a 17 point beat down to an Ohio team that finished dead last in the MAC East. Conference: Easily handled by most of the good teams, slipped by ODU early. 11-7. Fifty point assream by a a mediocre USM which lost to a D II preacher's college. 19-14 overall, 6th in a conference where a third of the teams don't even try. Goes on this supposed "run" at the end that was a function of finishing in the middle pod in this stupid pod system and taking out those lightweights. Lose in the first full round of conf. tournament to the three seed. At least not by 50 again.

A steaming pile. A laughing stock. Out coached, out manned (which means out-recruited), and out hussled.

This is the type of garbage that we normally get.

You aren’t realistic at all. Not even close to realistic. You have been shown over and over and over again facts about the history of our basketball program and what we have accomplished under the current coach after 5 years. But you come back and say that we suck and that he sucks. You say this year was a steaming pile which is ridiculous. Was it disappointing yeah it was but we were the same record as Southern Miss in conference and we won 19 games. We also beat ODU and Western Ky the two best teams in the conference.

We did this while having to replace one of our two best players and our only true big man. IB was not in the plans to play a ton of minutes this year until Penava.

Realistic my butt.

Yeah, as if nobody else can lose leadership and not find consistent success...
Oh wait...

Where did I say MU basketball or Dan "suck" ??
Its a remarkable double standard when football is being blasted for 2 minutes in a game with spineless online posters claiming 'I want the team to win, I don't think we will, so I hope I am wrong' but my goodness when it happens as the opposite you'd think someone burned down Old Main.

Realism is being deprived of any meaning over 30 or so years and seeing 5 years as being a miracle of sorts...I get that, MU basketball was horrible and so anything that resembles success is seen far beyond what it actually is.

I, nor anyone, is denying what Dan's done with the team as being great.
But he set the bar, quite high, last season for us to come close to equalling that or surpassing it.

We fell short...quite short.
One isn't allowed to ask why that is?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I can.

Sam - you are just venting (as usual) at this point. You're like the 2 spouses arguing, where the one says to the other "I swear if you've said that once you've said it 15 times in this conversation!" Spouse #2 "and I'm going to keep sayin' it until I get you to agree w/me!!!"
No one is going to convince anyone else on this or any message board into changing their belief system about the subject of said message board. If you look back @ your posts, they almost uniformly contain the same drivel from one thread to the next. From one sport to the next. From one facility issue to the next. So, just make sure you acknowledge to yourself that every time you post, your doing it for yourself, not because you think you are being influential. I disagree with you that the state of the basketball program is anything that you assert, or that we will be any worse next year than this year. Newsflash Sam: 4 winning records in a row .....would it interest you in the least to know the last time the men's team recorded 4 winning seasons in a row was the mid-80's? 34 years between 4 consecutives and you think we're a dumpster fire?? SHOCKER!! We don't agree...….
Go Herd!!!

Last edited:

Realistic my butt.

In other words, you are OK with losing. You accept it and have no ambition to be great. Having the same number of wins a SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI is enough for you.

To be fair, you could also say that some people need to treat football the same way they do basketball.

This is a good post with valid criticisms. The lack of adjustments when we were cold coupled with the lack of timeouts when the opposing team went on a run were frustrating.

If what the two of you did was more like this, I not only wouldn't call you out on it, but I would probably agree with some of it and we could have good discussion.

However...

To lose to USM by 2 in football would cause a Defcon 5 meltdown for this board. Discouragement and overall quitting on the team posts would flood this place.
To lose to USM by 50 in basketball would cause optimism for the next game. Hope that MU can recover and easily forgetting said loss.

To lose to USM by 2 in football would cause a Defcon 5 meltdown for this board. Discouragement and overall quitting on the team posts would flood this place.
To lose to USM by 50 in basketball would cause optimism for the next game. Hope that MU can recover and easily forgetting said loss.

Exactly. There is a group that, for reasons they cannot explain, expects to win every football game we play, and who then are so eaten up with AAC envy, or Boise State envy, that even that is considered not an accomplishment. But the same crowd if fine with a basketball team that wins a few, loses a few, doesn't really matter. Whatever. Its good enough.

However...

I do treat football the same way as basketball, Indon't fundamentally give up on the team until the last game is played. I look at what they did right and wrong. Doc's absolute brain fart of a game at USM shluld never have happened and its a frustrating thing to debate against.
But then I look at what we have, freshman QB, new OC, and some other changes and realize its not quite the disaster or "mediocrity" some make it out to be.
People would call football 2018 a turd of a season because we missed out on the conference title.

Expectations were high for basketball but as it has been witnessed, MU really fell far short of those expectations...but Dan gets a pass for really questionong his coaching.

I believe its personality. Dan is much more socialble than Doc. I compared Dan to a Golden Retriever and Doc to a fried Lobster in terms of personality.
But we can't let a smile on someone's face get in the way of their ability to do their job.
Thats all I'm saying...well not all but...some.

Exactly. There is a group that, for reasons they cannot explain, expects to win every football game we play, and who then are so eaten up with AAC envy, or Boise State envy, that even that is considered not an accomplishment. But the same crowd if fine with a basketball team that wins a few, loses a few, doesn't really matter. Whatever. Its good enough.

I must take a second to say this may be the longest Sam has gone in multiple threads without an incident of:

"THE AMERICAN!!!!!!"
or
some diatribe about wvu

Carry on

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT