ADVERTISEMENT

word is Dr Gilbert is out as his contract will not be renewed

Some very close to the situation, but for now I'll just stick to the common knowledge. I think as has been discussed here ad nauseum both Hamrick's and Holliday's contracts are/were up June 30th. Holliday's wasn't renewed and Hamrick's guy (Lambert) wasn't hired. Hamrick and Gilbert both were apparently overridden during the FB HC search and hiring process, effectively becoming lame ducks. There is likely one more to go...

Reactions: herdalicious
Some very close to the situation, but for now I'll just stick to the common knowledge. I think as has been discussed here ad nauseum both Hamrick's and Holliday's contracts are/were up June 30th. Holliday's wasn't renewed and Hamrick's guy (Lambert) wasn't hired. Hamrick and Gilbert both were apparently overridden during the FB HC search and hiring process, effectively becoming lame ducks. There is likely one more to go...
I'd say several in the Schewey and Old Main need to move aside. When you get too comfortable in your job, no real progress takes place.
The student recruitment coordinator should be looked at as well. jmho

Thanks for the info. I thought Gilbert got his guy in Huff. Who knows.

Reactions: HerdFan73
Thanks for the info. I thought Gilbert got his guy in Huff. Who knows.
He may very well have. I can't remember all the details but not surprised anyway as I have been expecting this for some time.

I don’t think much got done without JJ and/or his buddy BP being good with it
I have heard so many stories about the hiring process - who got interviewed, who didn't, who was Gilbert's choice, who was Hamrick's choice, who was JJ's, who was the BOG's, etc. that I can't keep it straight. Obviously by the initial press conference you could sense it was a contentious process with a lot of hurt feelings. I have been told for a long time that all three wouldn't be renewed - Holliday, Hamrick and Gilbert. Two of the three are gone for the most part.

....and yet, he will have been here 6 years. Prob about avg for a University Prez these days?
At least it has been at MU for the last 5 decades along with the AD position. That is about double the average tenure for both football and basketball coaches over the same period.

Seems like there is a lot of turnover in these positions and also a lot of collateral damage to who is still left after a coaching and/or regime change.

Presidents at top schools usually move on after about 10-15 years on average. Of course those places are much more stable academically and financially than a school(MU) that does a lot of things well but has to beg for scraps much of time. All in a state that is bleeding population and opportunity.

This saddens me. Pres Gilbert, from all I could tell, has been an outstanding president. He has raised the academic and athletic standards at Marshall, and set our school on a very good course. I hope to heaven he wasn’t forced out by the traditional shortsightedness that keeps plaguing WV.

Another perspective: He’s how old - 67? This is going to shock some - he wants out! Time to enjoy the fruits of his labor & kick back, listen to some cool jazz (quite the music lover) and get back down south....

Reactions: Jartard
I've been saying it for decades now but the #1 priority for a new president is one that is 100% focused on increasing enrollment. Enrollment has been relatively stagnant for 30 years and that needs to change ASAP.

Feels to me that the BOG is flexing its muscles recently with the HUFF hire, the Hamrick ordeal, and them letting Gilbert know his contract wont be extended next summer. If he was going to retire, he would've said that in his release. Personally, I like all those moves.

I've been saying it for decades now but the #1 priority for a new president is one that is 100% focused on increasing enrollment. Enrollment has been relatively stagnant for 30 years and that needs to change ASAP.

Feels to me that the BOG is flexing its muscles recently with the HUFF hire, the Hamrick ordeal, and them letting Gilbert know his contract wont be extended next summer. If he was going to retire, he would've said that in his release. Personally, I like all those moves.
Agree 100% about enrollment. Our rectruitment efforts suck. Not much effort at all. The BOG certainly needs to look into that department

I predict the next president will be female. Seems to be the trend across the country. I think MU academics have improved under Gilbert, as well as the quantity and quality of program offerings. MU can match up with most schools its size on the academic front. And our buildings and overall infrastructure continues to expand and modernize. The job should be attractive to potential candidates. How about Brad Smith? Maybe he would be interested.

"increase enrollment" is a slogan, like "increase sales" "try harder" or "beat the competition".

The point is HOW does the university increase enrollment. Blunt fact is, outside of a few programs like HELP or forensic science, there is no real reason for anyone not from WV or the immediate tri-state, or with some tie to it, to forgo the fine similar institutions in their own states.

The next period of WV history is going to be about, whether we like it or not, about downsizing the government to a state that will bottom out at about 1.2M and remain there. The future of MU is to grow by absorption of the too many state colleges when we find a leader to speak bluntly and act boldly. Which begins with buying some padlocks and heading to places like Athens, Institute, Glenville, and so on.

"increase enrollment" is a slogan, like "increase sales" "try harder" or "beat the competition".

The point is HOW does the university increase enrollment. Blunt fact is, outside of a few programs like HELP or forensic science, there is no real reason for anyone not from WV or the immediate tri-state, or with some tie to it, to forgo the fine similar institutions in their own states.

The next period of WV history is going to be about, whether we like it or not, about downsizing the government to a state that will bottom out at about 1.2M and remain there. The future of MU is to grow by absorption of the too many state colleges when we find a leader to speak bluntly and act boldly. Which begins with buying some padlocks and heading to places like Athens, Institute, Glenville, and so on.
Never happen Sam. As much as I agree the state has too many colleges, it will never happen politically. Marshall’s selling points are low cost, compact campus and quality education for the dollars spent.
Our recruitment efforts are severely lacking. OU Southern beats the crap out of us in that regard.

Expand what is offered on-line. Basically everything is on-line now. Hit the tri-state hard. I’d imagine the majority of people would prefer a degree from Marshall over a Davis & Elkins. Look at what Liberty has done(enrollment wise). Think big picture.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Marshall absolutely has to increase enrollment and a large part of that needs to be online degrees. Put most degree programs online and make a concerted effort to be one of the major online degree offering Universities. Make it easier for everyone to get a degree by offering online. Target all those non traditional students that might not be able to go to school during the day because they are working. Allow these people to take online classes during the week or weekend at their pace. There is a huge potential market out there available for Marshall to exploit. With Marshalls cheap out of state tuition, Marshall would be a very attractive choice for an online degree from a University with name recognition.

A big problem in trying to increase attendance is offering more majors. To offer more majors they would have to hire more faculty, which is difficult to do when the school pays fairly low. My wife has a staff position now, within the School of Medicine. The same position exists at Morehead and starting pay is almost $8k more annually. She's been part of multiple hiring committees, and had several candidates turn down offers because the salary was just too low.

Hell, I've spoken with a man who taught at Cincinnati for over a decade, then moved back to Barboursville and interviewed for a position within the math department. When he was finally told the salary per course taught, he said he laughed his was out of the building.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT