ADVERTISEMENT

Worst Moment of the 2021 Season

I just can’t blame Huff. Every time we played a decent team our lack of talent and depth just became apparent.

At QB we had Wells and no feasible alternative.

At RB we have Ali, and he’s great, but beyond him we have nothing.

At WR we have a glaring lack of talent. I like Gammage, by he’s not an X, he’s a possession receiver. We missed the two that went to Purdue. Willie had a decent season, but he’s a guy who has been on the bench his whole career, which shows you the lack of talent.

At TE we had some talent, but didn’t use it. That’s on Cramsey and on Wells.

The Oline was pretty good considering the losses and injuries. We were short on experienced depth though.

our defensive line is fun to watch, but just too dang small to hold up against good lines with quality backs.

our linebackers are just undersized. When a good Oline gets to the second level we don’t have a chance.

and lastly, our defensive backfield is hot garbage in coverage. Our safeties tend to be good in run support but do nothing to control the middle in the passing game.

Mext year might be marginally better, but it will take a couple of classes and working the portal to fill some big holes. If we turn it around next year then Huff is the real deal.

You’re right. Huff should leave. :rolleyes:
You were awfully quiet last night and I didn't see you defending Wells in every thread, as I've seen from you recently.

No smack intended, but I'm actually curious as to your thoughts about his performance last night?

Reactions: Marine03
You were awfully quiet last night and I didn't see you defending Wells in every thread, as I've seen from you recently.

No smack intended, but I'm actually curious as to your thoughts about his performance last night?
Two years in a row this team has seemed to quit late in the season. Wells is a major part of it.
Last night, no excuses, Wells seemed to be a lifeless zombie playing not to get hurt. He didn’t act like he wanted to be on the field. Last night needs to be his last snap aside from a backup role. Even if we had receivers who could consistently catch and run a pattern (questionable) the ball wouldn’t have gotten to them.
Our Dfense secondary is hot garbage. Worst at Marshall in a long long long time. Our LBs are undersized and get manhandled in the middle. The dline is the single most consistent group on the field and even they are a little undersized.
cramsey…where does one even start? Thank God for Ali, but even the run game is questionable at times. You attempt running Evans to the outside the tackles and rarely use Ali’s speed to do the same?
All in all, the play calling is/was horrible and without a rhythm. They can’t play up tempo passing game. They can’t play slower grind it out run tempo.
The type of player Huff wants for his systems isn’t here. This is a complete gut and rebuild job if he’s going to have any kind of success. The teams that have beat us going away (UAB, WKU, LU) are bigger, faster, stronger in every phase of the game. He’s pretty much said that without calling out his players, which I respect, but they simply aren’t what he wants or needs here. We are grossly out manned when we play teams that are bigger and more physical.

I'm very interested in what changes we see in the spring and next fall camp. Huff is a guy that wants to win more than anything, maybe so he can move up the ranks, maybe because he's just that competitive, either way is fine.

The staff can say all the right things about Wells, but it's become clear he is not "the guy" and football at this level and above starts with that position. You have to make plays in big moments, against good teams.

The backfield should be fine next year with Ali returning and the kid from Florida State coming in. I'd like to see us add a "big" back for short yardage specifically.

Offensive line play was good most of the season but is a question mark going into next year.

Defensive line plays so hard and despite their lack of size they did well for the most part.

Our linebackers not named Beauplan were not very good. Neal can stuff the run but is a liability in coverage, same with Porter.

The secondary play was poor. We play a lot of man coverage, which is fine, a lot of good defenses play a ton of man, but in order to do that you need CB depth (we have none) and a safety that can be a ball hawk in the middle (we have none). Hopefully we have recruited guys who can play that scheme.

Reactions: mlblack16.
Blame the fans. The stadium was only filled to 30% capacity.
Yeah, because everyone wants to go watch an inconsistent 7-5 flat Marshall team in Louisiana who doesn’t even show any life after a blatant cheap shot on there punt returner. That play should have been the turning point for us! but oddly fueled Louisiana. (Absolutely disgusting how everyone was high-fiving after that on the sidelines) Coaching is all around awful, I do think we have a talented team, we just have a coach who is so hungry for his next job that he already has one foot out the door. It’s going to be a problem bringing in talent when your head coach can’t even promise staying the next season JMO. I understand a young upcoming coach won’t make Marshall with what we can pay and bring to the table his “dream job” but at least prove yourself first (which he hasn't).

Reactions: TNherdfan
I'm very interested in what changes we see in the spring and next fall camp. Huff is a guy that wants to win more than anything, maybe so he can move up the ranks, maybe because he's just that competitive, either way is fine.

The staff can say all the right things about Wells, but it's become clear he is not "the guy" and football at this level and above starts with that position. You have to make plays in big moments, against good teams.

The backfield should be fine next year with Ali returning and the kid from Florida State coming in. I'd like to see us add a "big" back for short yardage specifically.

Offensive line play was good most of the season but is a question mark going into next year.

Defensive line plays so hard and despite their lack of size they did well for the most part.

Our linebackers not named Beauplan were not very good. Neal can stuff the run but is a liability in coverage, same with Porter.

The secondary play was poor. We play a lot of man coverage, which is fine, a lot of good defenses play a ton of man, but in order to do that you need CB depth (we have none) and a safety that can be a ball hawk in the middle (we have none). Hopefully we have recruited guys who can play that scheme.
I agree with 99.9% of this. Just wanted to point out that Porter is a DE, not a LB… so he wasn’t a liability in pass coverage. Everything else I have no arguments.

Reactions: Jartard
I agree with 99.9% of this. Just wanted to point out that Porter is a DE, not a LB… so he wasn’t a liability in pass coverage. Everything else I have no arguments.
Ali was the best offensive player on the field last night, for either team. Porter was the best defensive player on the field last night, for either team. Any production from Wells and a few different play calls and we win handily. 100% have to make a few changes heading into next season.

I do think we have a talented team, we just have a coach who is so hungry for his next job that he already has one foot out the door.
tenor.gif

Yeah, because everyone wants to go watch an inconsistent 7-5 flat Marshall team in Louisiana who doesn’t even show any life after a blatant cheap shot on there punt returner. That play should have been the turning point for us! but oddly fueled Louisiana. (Absolutely disgusting how everyone was high-fiving after that on the sidelines) Coaching is all around awful, I do think we have a talented team, we just have a coach who is so hungry for his next job that he already has one foot out the door. It’s going to be a problem bringing in talent when your head coach can’t even promise staying the next season JMO. I understand a young upcoming coach won’t make Marshall with what we can pay and bring to the table his “dream job” but at least prove yourself first (which he hasn't).
Obviously you haven’t posted here long enough to realize most of my responses are dripping with sarcasm. In serious , sober posting, I enjoyed the game, don’t blame any one person or group for the loss, wish we had won, have now moved on. Merry Christmas.

Reactions: herdnatic
I just can’t blame Huff. Every time we played a decent team our lack of talent and depth just became apparent.

At QB we had Wells and no feasible alternative.

At RB we have Ali, and he’s great, but beyond him we have nothing.

At WR we have a glaring lack of talent. I like Gammage, by he’s not an X, he’s a possession receiver. We missed the two that went to Purdue. Willie had a decent season, but he’s a guy who has been on the bench his whole career, which shows you the lack of talent.

At TE we had some talent, but didn’t use it. That’s on Cramsey and on Wells.

The Oline was pretty good considering the losses and injuries. We were short on experienced depth though.

our defensive line is fun to watch, but just too dang small to hold up against good lines with quality backs.

our linebackers are just undersized. When a good Oline gets to the second level we don’t have a chance.

and lastly, our defensive backfield is hot garbage in coverage. Our safeties tend to be good in run support but do nothing to control the middle in the passing game.

Mext year might be marginally better, but it will take a couple of classes and working the portal to fill some big holes. If we turn it around next year then Huff is the real deal.
This. We obviously have gaps in talent that need addressed

Reactions: ilmherdfan
We play Notre Dame next year They will have a new staring QB and a new head coach who has never been a head coach before on any level. This year, Notre Dame very nearly lost to Toledo in the 4th quarter, 16-14. Notre Dame managed a win with Toledo but can any of you say we will loose to Notre Dame next year? Get the players fired up for this, Notre Dame will be as down as they have ever been

We play Notre Dame next year They will have a new staring QB and a new head coach who has never been a head coach before on any level. This year, Notre Dame very nearly lost to Toledo in the 4th quarter, 16-14. Notre Dame managed a win with Toledo but can any of you say we will loose to Notre Dame next year? Get the players fired up for this, Notre Dame will be as down as they have ever been
Can’t really knock them for their coach, he hasn’t had the chance to prove anything yet. Given our coaching history, we have had several head coaches that hadn’t been a head coach before…or even a coordinator.

For me, the worst experience of the year was watching Grant not go for the first down in the game last night when he clearly needed only to run two more yards forward. It both cost us the first down and the momentum, and showed me he wasn't ready to take a hit in the game; explains his truly horrid passes in the 4th quarter.

Toledo came in as a very solid program with a long history of success. So far our crew has beaten 4-8 Navy; I-AA 6-5 NC Central; 6-6 ODU in OT at home; 6-6 North Texas; 1-11 FIU;5-7 FAU; and 5-7 UNCC.

While everybody likes to dream and hope, a realistic expectation is for a result much like our recent bowl loss. Keep it looking respectable and close enough. Such that UND does not have a record day and the talking heads on ESPN, et al, are not making fun of a 30 point beatdown and massive individual records set.

Back to the OP - for me it was the onside kick by ECU….No way we can allow that to happen! It was a sick feeling, same as every time Wells trotted on the field last nite….
Throwing a bomb to the endzone on 4th and short in that game was maybe even worse. Then Huff blames Keaton for not making the play in the end zone.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Throwing a bomb to the endzone on 4th and short in that game was maybe even worse. Then Huff blames Keaton for not making the play in the end zone.
That chapped my ass as well, terrible play call! While the ball may have been catchable it would have been a tough catch by any objective standard. Didn't care for the way Huff handled himself in the post game press conference either....not the time for the "if you get off the boat now , you can't get back on " bullshit!

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
That chapped my ass as well, terrible play call! While the ball may have been catchable it would have been a tough catch by any objective standard. Didn't care for the way Huff handled himself in the post game press conference either....not the time for the "if you get off the boat now , you can't get back on " bullshit!
This is why I've slowly gotten off the Huff bandwagon.

The first thing that started to push me off was his handling of Doc's staff. He gets up there and praises them and says it's his job to recruit them to say and then dismisses them in short order.

At first I liked how candid he was after games, but more and more it sounds like he blames everyone but himself and then this early signing stuff. Claiming he just signed the highest class in school history. Dude we have the 11th most commitments(23/25) and half the country hasn't even finished. Class rankings aren't until after Feb 2nd. There's no way we stay where we are and he knows that. That didn't stop him from tweeting it though.

I also didn't like how within a day he's acting like he's been here for 20 years.

There's just way too much talk from him.

Worst moment for me was during Q2 of the FIU game. Timeout on the field, Jason Toy starts to make a presentation, The PA starts to speak, the band starts to play and rap comes on from DJ Herd That. Makes one wonder what its all about.

Worst moment for me was during Q2 of the FIU game. Timeout on the field, Jason Toy starts to make a presentation, The PA starts to speak, the band starts to play and rap comes on from DJ Herd That. Makes one wonder what its all about.
Bush leagueness brah....bush leagueness.

Go around to the country to good programs and they have their gameday atmospheres together. However here we have too many good old throwback wvians with the "it just is what it is why don't you just love your team stop complaining" attitude and we have a gameday atmosphere worse than an indy league baseball team from some straight to vhs Major League part IV movie.

In case you haven't figured it out around here any form of constructive criticism or aspirations for greatness is met with claims of disloyalty. You must not be a real fan unless you just accept everything and anything because it's Marshall.

Bush leagueness brah....bush leagueness.

Go around to the country to good programs and they have their gameday atmospheres together. However here we have too many good old throwback wvians with the "it just is what it is why don't you just love your team stop complaining" attitude and we have a gameday atmosphere worse than an indy league baseball team from some straight to vhs Major League part IV movie.

In case you haven't figured it out around here any form of constructive criticism or aspirations for greatness is met with claims of disloyalty. You must not be a real fan unless you just accept everything and anything because it's Marshall.
I know. If anyone wants to look for the perfect person, all they have to do is head over to the Schewey or Old Main. They can do no wrong!

This is why I've slowly gotten off the Huff bandwagon.

The first thing that started to push me off was his handling of Doc's staff. He gets up there and praises them and says it's his job to recruit them to say and then dismisses them in short order.

At first I liked how candid he was after games, but more and more it sounds like he blames everyone but himself and then this early signing stuff. Claiming he just signed the highest class in school history. Dude we have the 11th most commitments(23/25) and half the country hasn't even finished. Class rankings aren't until after Feb 2nd. There's no way we stay where we are and he knows that. That didn't stop him from tweeting it though.

I also didn't like how within a day he's acting like he's been here for 20 years.

There's just way too much talk from him.
You're right. He should have kept the entire staff, not mentioned his recruiting class, and grunted into the microphone when answering a question.

In case you haven't figured it out around here any form of constructive criticism or aspirations for greatness is met with claims of disloyalty.
The irony.

Reactions: 19MU88
7 - 6 season
New Coach
Played for CUSA east title into the third quarter with a back up qb
Lost a hard fought bowl game on the road to the 16th ranked team in the country

and one of the first post is

"what was the worse moment of the year."

Sometimes you guys are just baffling.

GO HERD!!!

Reactions: FootballArmy
ADVERTISEMENT