ADVERTISEMENT

You Know It's a Bad Year for wvu...

Well, we are in a Power 5 Conference with a seat at the table, making more than the ACC and PAC 12 teams and still won 8 games this year. We’ve won 10 or more games 5 times in the last 15 years. We get national attention and all our games are televised. We are the flagship institution of WV. I think we’ll survive.
What is it with WVU fans being too stupid to comprehend what they read? I didn't say it was a nail in the coffin. What I said was it would be rough in the forseeable future. You guys are losing your head coach, starting QB, & all-conference level talent at a few positions. Big effing deal what you've under-accomplished in the past, your program is in for a rough few years in the future.

Reactions: 19MU88 and Timtnt9
You are absolutely pathetic and it’s morons like you that prevent WVU fans from cheering for Marshall too. We have one of the smallest states in the country, but still have two FBS programs to be proud of. More Mountaineers would be pulling for The Herd on Saturdays if it wasn’t for the inferiority complex displayed by many MU fans.

As far as WVU’s season, we did not meet the preseason expectations. There is no other way to put it. However, we had several All-Americans, a QB that finished 4th in the Heisman voting, and we beat Texas in Austin on the way to an 8-4 season. We are also going to get paid ~44 million from media rights contracts. That is more than your entire athletics budget, a good portion of which is subsidized by the state.

Listen, I don’t usually let some of your outspoken fans like the OP affect the way I view your athletic programs. I want to see Marshall do well and I want to see Doc have success. I just don’t understand why there has to be vitriol spewed between the two fanbases.

That can be said about every league.
SEC Ala
ACC Clemson
B10 OSU
B12 Okla
PAC12 Nobody. Lol.
See anybody can play that game.
The B12 plays glorified touch football.

You and your ilk are still butthurt because the ACC wanted nothing to do with your school.
But the Big 12 has more depth then the ACC, a 6-6 Ok State laid one on Top 25 Missouri last night. But serious the ACC is dog crap outside of Clemson...and the Big10 is still solid by not as strong as it used to be...WVU beats Syracuse with WG...I was shocked but they are not that good

But the Big 12 has more depth then the ACC, a 6-6 Ok State laid one on Top 25 Missouri last night. But serious the ACC is dog crap outside of Clemson...and the Big10 is still solid by not as strong as it used to be...WVU beats Syracuse with WG...I was shocked but they are not that good
sure they do. did Tony C and coach Hunter tell you that.

We're not having fun at their expense, that's how bad things are for their football team right now.

We let dana go..saved us 7 mill buyout, and we could take your head coach with the snap of a finger if we wanted him.

We let dana go..saved us 7 mill buyout, and we could take your head coach with the snap of a finger if we wanted him.

uh yeah, that's why UH is paying a buyout. if UH doesn't come along, he's still there. can you understand that eerdiot?

uh yeah, that's why UH is paying a buyout. if UH doesn't come along, he's still there. can you understand that eerdiot?

Wvu didn't fight to keep him. He asked for an extension, we wouldnt give it to him. Firing him wasn't an option with a 7 mill buyout on our end. This is what wvu wanted. If you're too dumb to see that idk what to tell you.

Like i said, be glad we don't want him, because we could snag Doc any time we choose.

Last edited:
Ok we agree he left wvu by choice to go to a G5 school. Wvu did not let him go. If holgorson chose to remain he would be your coach next year. Pretty simple

Last edited:

Don’t believe everything you are told.

Reactions: 19MU88

God you all are dumb.

It went down from $2.5 million to $1 million. Houston waited until Tuesday to do it because of that very reason.
Houston paid pennies for him...you all were stuck with him for so long because you knew you couldn't afford to fire the guy and nobody was dumb enough to pay that much for him either.

You let him go? Bwahaha.
So you fired him? Because he still had time on his contract. All those sour grapes in Motown are making an awful lot of whine.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
God you all are dumb.

It went down from $2.5 million to $1 million. Houston waited until Tuesday to do it because of that very reason.
Houston paid pennies for him...you all were stuck with him for so long because you knew you couldn't afford to fire the guy and nobody was dumb enough to pay that much for him either.

The 2.5 to 1 is his buyout if he left ya dope.

The 7 mill is what we would have had to pay to fire him... he hasnt been bad enough to pay 7 mill to fire, but we werent going to extend him.

Hed still be at wvu if we wanted him. Think we cant match 4 mill? He knew how hot his seat was

Just be glad nobody wants your 60+ year old scrub coach.

You need help. Your extreme jealousy and hatred of WVU... blah blah blah

(followed by a lot of spamspew about how "big" one of the Little 8 really is)

As to the second part, methinks thou dost protest too much. True national programs do not go around telling little ole us how big they are. Just another example of why no one over 12 can actually believe what one must believe to not understand that WVU is among the very bottom of the lowest P5 league.

But the first part is so much easier to respond to. WHY ARE YOU HERE? I'm not on your board. I don't care about you. I follow Marshall sports as a fan and true national level sports as a spectator. I have no time for field fillers in the Big2, Little 8. Yet HERE YOU ARE. Fixated, as always, upon us.

It is all you have. After yet another loss, "But Marshall …."

Go away.

The 7 mill is what we would have had to pay to fire him... he hasnt been bad enough to pay 7 mill to fire, but we werent going to extend him.

Hed still be at wvu if we wanted him. Think we cant match 4 mill? He knew how hot his seat was

The typical “she didn’t break up with me, I broke up with her” move. Classic middle school content.

Also, maybe if you mention doc a few more times someone might acknowledge it. Until then, keep keep telling yourself everything is going to be okay.

Stay strong, champ!

Reactions: SamSwimmer

I guess I was wrong.

You all were actually in a worse situation than previously thought.

Then again, some are asking if Jimbo or Saban will "come home" to WV...LOL!!
#countryroadstakemesomewhereelse

LMAO!

The PAC12 didn’t make the playoffs.

The BIG10 didn’t make the playoffs for the second straight year.

LOL! Says the guy who started the thread about WVU.
Says the little bitch who takes pictures of other men at sporting events because he gets his feelings hurt.

The fans ran off a good man in Bill Stewart. A shame

What made him a good man? Was it that he talked like a hillbilly/commoner?

A "good man" doesn't call one of his players a racial slur. A "good man" doesn't undercut a coach on his staff by providing potentially false allegations about that coach to the media in secrecy.

6-6 Baylor killed a pretty good SEC Vanderbilt team...

Vandy finished 11th in the SEC. Baylor finished 6th in the Big 12. Don't try and judge conference success based on such lopsided match ups.

even though other C-USA schools have significantly more resources to build facilities that attract recruits and pay coaches. These schools also do a better job of filling their stadiums on game day and are located in much more talent-rich areas.

Marshall has had an operating budget of around $30 million and about half of that is subsidized by the State of WV. According to the data I found, there are also 7 conference schools that pay their respective head coach more than Doc. Yet many Marshall fans think they should be having UCF-like success regularly.

You have no clue what you're talking about. Marshall has one of the top 2 all around football facilities in C-USA. Marshall's football salaries are in the middle of the conference. Marshall's attendance is near the top in C-USA. Marshall has the best football history in the conference. Marshall has a huge advantage in recruiting due to academic requirements/non-qualifiers. The only thing negative for Marshall is in location.

Marshall has one of the top two easiest paths to success in football in C-USA. wvu is not in the top half of the Big 12 in terms of easiest path to success based on those things.

I’m not saying elite, but we are a top half program of a Power 5 Conference.

Stop being a moron. Excluding wv, including ND, and excluding BYU, there are 64 P5 teams.

Without any doubt, these teams are all ahead of wvu's football program when everything is considered:

Clemson, FSU, Louisville, Miami, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma, Texas, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Washington, Stanford, Oregon, USC, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss.

That is 31 teams.

That leaves you trying to argue that you're the top program out of NC State, Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi State, Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA, Utah, Colorado, Cal, Washington State, Texas Tech, Georgia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina.

Nope.

SEC
ACC
B10
B12
PAC12

That's almost as bad as the other guy claiming wvu is a top-half P5 program.

You will have a tough time arguing that the ACC isn't the worst P5 this season. But 2nd? Come on.

We are a national level program. I’m not saying elite, but we are a top half program of a Power 5 Conference. We have over a $100 million operating budget.

So your budget is less than that of Minnesota, Arkansas, Indiana, etc. Glad to know my Hoosiers are now a "top half program"! And here I thought they sucked.

So your budget is less than that of Minnesota, Arkansas, Indiana, etc. Glad to know my Hoosiers are now a "top half program"! And here I thought they sucked.

Arkansas is an SEC program that is 8 spots ahead of WVU in terms of revenue. They have a lot of football history and have the Waltons’ and Jerry Jones’ financial support. Also, check your data. WVU’s revenue is in front of Indiana. Your Hoosiers? I thought Marshall was your team?

Arkansas is an SEC program that is 8 spots ahead of WVU in terms of revenue. They have a lot of football history and have the Waltons’ and Jerry Jones’ financial support. Also, check your data. WVU’s revenue is in front of Indiana. Your Hoosiers? I thought Marshall was your team?

Blah blah blah. You are right, Arkansas is the better program, and they also have a national championship. WVU < Arkansas, who last won a conference championship in 1989.

My data says IU ahead. Deal with it. Either way, there's your peer I guess, shitty ol' IU football.

Everyone who belongs and is welcome here knows where I am from...I sure don't make a secret of it.

Riflearm, I can see reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit. I said we were in the top half of programs in OUR Power 5 Conference.

If Marshall has all this money for these facilities, why are you in the lower half of your conference in head coaching salary? Also, you can thank the State of WV taxpayers for those facilities. You also have the easiest path to success in Conference USA because the conference is garbage.

Last edited:
Blah blah blah. You are right, Arkansas is the better program, and they also have a national championship. WVU < Arkansas, who last won a conference championship in 1989.

My data says IU ahead. Deal with it. Either way, there's your peer I guess, shitty ol' IU football.

Everyone who belongs and is welcome here knows where I am from...I sure don't make a secret of it.

A large portion of that revenue is from their basketball program, which is top tier. They are not our peer in terms of football success.

I get it, Indiana is your “real” team. I figured someone with a PhD in journalism (which is hilarious by the way) could correctly fact-check.

serious question here, Is the wv fanbase happy or upset with this?
They're bipolar so it's hard to tell. When a player chooses another school over them, they rush to claim wvu pulled the offer because in their eyes it's easier to lie to themselves & save face than admit someone would pick another program. They're losing their coach to a non-P5 school & now they're saying it's actually a positive. I guess Dana figures he can't beat Oklahoma at wvu so he might as well leave to go to a school that recently has.

What made him a good man? Was it that he talked like a hillbilly/commoner?

A "good man" doesn't call one of his players a racial slur. A "good man" doesn't undercut a coach on his staff by providing potentially false allegations about that coach to the media in secrecy.

Vandy finished 11th in the SEC. Baylor finished 6th in the Big 12. Don't try and judge conference success based on such lopsided match ups.

You have no clue what you're talking about. Marshall has one of the top 2 all around football facilities in C-USA. Marshall's football salaries are in the middle of the conference. Marshall's attendance is near the top in C-USA. Marshall has the best football history in the conference. Marshall has a huge advantage in recruiting due to academic requirements/non-qualifiers. The only thing negative for Marshall is in location.

Marshall has one of the top two easiest paths to success in football in C-USA. wvu is not in the top half of the Big 12 in terms of easiest path to success based on those things.

Stop being a moron. Excluding wv, including ND, and excluding BYU, there are 64 P5 teams.

Without any doubt, these teams are all ahead of wvu's football program when everything is considered:

Clemson, FSU, Louisville, Miami, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma, Texas, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Washington, Stanford, Oregon, USC, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Ole Miss.

That is 31 teams.

That leaves you trying to argue that you're the top program out of NC State, Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi State, Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA, Utah, Colorado, Cal, Washington State, Texas Tech, Georgia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina.

Nope.

That's almost as bad as the other guy claiming wvu is a top-half P5 program.

You will have a tough time arguing that the ACC isn't the worst P5 this season. But 2nd? Come on.
yea 6 out of ten last team in the league to qualify for a bowl

They're bipolar so it's hard to tell. When a player chooses another school over them, they rush to claim wvu pulled the offer because in their eyes it's easier to lie to themselves & save face than admit someone would pick another program. They're losing their coach to a non-P5 school & now they're saying it's actually a positive. I guess Dana figures he can't beat Oklahoma at wvu so he might as well leave to go to a school that recently has.

There is a large portion of our fan base that has wanted Holgorsen to leave for awhile now. It was no secret that our AD was never sold on him either. Holgorsen would have stayed had he gotten a contract extension this year. WVU said that wasn’t happening and Houston offered him $4 million/year. He supposedly still has a house in Houston and really likes the area too. It’s not tough to believe Shane Lyons happily held the door open for him as he left.

I wanted him to stay and was hoping contract negotiations would be successful, but it is clear that wasn’t going to happen. To act like a Group of 5 school stole our coach isn’t telling the whole truth. He was looking for future job security and at $4 million per year, he found it.

There is a large portion of our fan base that has wanted Holgorsen to leave for awhile now. It was no secret that our AD was never sold on him either. Holgorsen would have stayed had he gotten a contract extension this year. WVU said that wasn’t happening and Houston offered him $4 million/year. He supposedly still has a house in Houston and really likes the area too. It’s not tough to believe Shane Lyons happily held the door open for him as he left.

I wanted him to stay and was hoping contract negotiations would be successful, but it is clear that wasn’t going to happen. To act like a Group of 5 school stole our coach isn’t telling the whole truth. He was looking for future job security and at $4 million per year, he found it.
Holgerson's also making close to $4 million in WV with a nice house in WV. Although, if I remember right Texas doesn't have an income tax.

If you think your AD "happily held the door open for him as he left" you're insane. Insane. It was gonna be rough for wvu next year regardless had he stayed or not. This team was expected to deliver this year because of the upper-classman talent & the conference being down from years past. But hiring a coach at wvu is insanely risky because the wrong hire could do serious damage in a conference they haven't won or even played for the title yet. And the rumors are they're hiring Troy's coach. Frankly, I don't quite get it if true. I know wvu has to rush to get someone in the position sooner than later but this can't be the best they could get if they're going to pay a salary close to Dana's.

I don't blame him. Another 8 win season and they would have run him out of town.He did a good job but keeping everyone happy these days is an impossible task IMO

A large portion of that revenue is from their basketball program, which is top tier. They are not our peer in terms of football success.

I get it, Indiana is your “real” team. I figured someone with a PhD in journalism (which is hilarious by the way) could correctly fact-check.

The Big Ten pays out over $50m per school from TV revenue.

You are the guy who claimed budgets are the measure of success, not me. WVU could go winless and have the same budget. Or they could spend half as much and go undefeated, like UCF last season.

What is a "real team"? I was born into IU basketball. I have a degree from MU and spent 25 years in WV. I think I can root for both IU basketball and MU football if I want to.

I looked again...Indiana's football spending is $20m more than WVU's. Perhaps they have lobster and caviar at team meals. Perhaps we are going with different sources. And could it be any more obvious my avatar and quotes have nothing to do with me? Jesus.

Good luck finding a decent coach. I rarely root for you bastards, but the team is often fun to watch. I think Louisville snagged the best up and coming coach; WVU should go for Neal Brown, he'd be a good fit in the no-defense, chuck the pigskin Big 12.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT