ADVERTISEMENT

You lied to me

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
Packed house. Only tickets left are going for $100+. All the friends and family of the players from Marshall will pack the place.

In reality, it may be 1/8 capacity, at best.

It's the QVC approach. You have to buy now, these are almost gone and won't be at this price ever again.

This post was edited on 12/23 6:10 PM by IJW

There were several media outlets saying it was sold out. I'm confused

Is it possible all the tickets were purchased as proxy tickets?

I don't understand all the reports I saw recently

Business's are given blocks of tickets for a sponsorship or giving money for bowl
Related activities. Comp tickets, etc.

Hell that was coming from official channels. Nothing draws in Miami though. Not sure why we'd expect a bowl game to. Crowd is pretty sad though.

This post was edited on 12/24 2:04 AM by HerdFan73

Originally posted by Herd Fever:
Hey Ryan, you live about an hour away......did you attend the game??
Isn't it more like 3 hours from Daytona to Boca Raton?

Still very driveable.

It may very well have been sold out, or at least tickets distributed. I am down here at the game, and I saw an ad for some auto parts store that had tickets to give out. They had a huge stack of tickets in a picture--you could go to the game if you came in and bought something.

I was looking at ticket brokers and places like StubHub. They did not have any cheap tickets available. Maybe it was just limit the supply to get the hype built up.

Bowl games are about television, not fans in seats. It is an ESPN property, and the timing is lousy to get a good in-person crowd.

Thought the Marshall contingency was good.. I knew the crowd would struggle to get to 20,000.. Bad date lots of people couldn't go this close to Christmas.. But it looked like the Herd brought a solid crowd

Agree with you Rifle...at the last minute my ailing back...caused me to cancel my hotel and I gave the tickets away. I found a last minute flight (round trip) to West Palm for about $385-----glad I did not book it! The Stadium looks very nice on TV and its location to the Atlantic is sweet.

Spoke to a buddy Tuesday telling him I had cancelled my trip. He said staying in the team hotel was EXPENSIVE. $30/day just to park his rental car....he spent 1 1/2 hours in the bar Monday evening...received a check for over $200 for drinks (about $30 per drink...OUCH)....he said maybe 100 HERD fans stayed at the same hotel. I located a room at the Baco Raton Quality Inn for $194.23 for two nights. No reason to pay about the same amount per night ($200) to sleep a few hours, shower, use the bathroom, etc. I tried to get a room at PGA National @ West Palm (about a 40 minute drive to Baco)-------sold out weeks ago. I stayed there last year during a company convention...a very nice place with five golf courses [home to the Honda Classic] and the service is super.

I spoke to our ticket office two weeks ago....the girl's comments that helped me...indicated ticket sales were slow. I don't think the back lash from a Dec. 23 Bowl date, our 4th MAC opponent this season, not playing a bigger-named opponent took its toll on The HERD. My buddy also said he was breathless...it was about 87 degrees Tuesday afternoon---way too hot for a December football game. I know Doc surely felt the heat from the looks of his water soaked shirt. I believe he appreciated his VICTORY BATH from the players, even though he looked angry.

All in All---a very good season for Marshall. I just wish Dr. Kopp could have attended. His untimely death will make it difficult for Marshall to replace him. He did so much for Marshall's sports programs along with improvements to our academic culture.

Cato & Shuler will be missed, along with the guys graduating...but all good things must come to an end. The HERD has a strong, returning foundation in place. Doc receiving a new contract will hopefully keep him on board for a years. I hope Marshall finds $$$$ to up the salaries of the guys who really do all the teaching=====ASSISTANT COACHES.

Merry Christmas to all and a Super 2015.

HerdZilla22 (Gary Sweeney in Charlotte)..........................Bring On The HERD

Originally posted by Herd Fever:
Hey Ryan, you live about an hour away......did you attend the game??
I live 3.5 hours away (if not more) in Christmas traffic on 95. I had a flight with an artist on her charter to NY that left Florida at about midnight. I then had to catch another flight upstate. So, no, I didn't attend the game.

Did you skip your Mensa meeting to attend the bowl game?

Gary, you don't know what you are talking about. The hotel was majority Marshall fans the night before the game. Way more than 100.

ESPN and Boca bowl were they ones claiming a sell out. Marshall was even correcting them, saying they had tons of tickets for sale.

Originally posted by Greenis Envy:
1/8??? Idiotic statement, usually you're pretty on but that's stupid.
I have pictures of the stadium at kickoff to prove it. I'll post them later.

2 min before kick
Capture.png

NIU side
Capture1.png

Capture2.png

That is embarrasing for that bowl. There are just too many bowls. Over half of all teams going to a bowl now is crazy. Like i said we went 6-6 Snyders last year and went to a bowl against Ohio U. This year we went 12-1 and went to a bowl against NIU. So which year got the biggest reward? Exactly the same....2 MAC teams both years. This is the best it will ever get.

The stadium did fill in a bit after kickoff but it was certainly nothing close to a sellout. I would guess about 15-17 thousand.

PenntoMoss......I was REPEATING what my friend [MD] staying there said. No, I was not there to count them one by one. Did you count noses one by one? Damn, some of you are always looking for a curt remark. Take a reading course Penn. I STATED a friend said 100 Herd fans.....I DID NOT SAY I COUNTED 100 FANS.

Merry Christmas...damn it------Penn to Moss.

I see you as the Problem.....not the Solution to good will and Peace of Earth!

HerdZilla22 (GARY) in Charlotte

Damn I know I have a 1080P TV and I swore we filled the whole lower section on the Marshall sidelines and some spotting of Marshall fans around the stadium, but only 100 Marshall fans was there?? I need a new TV

Fever, he said 100 stayed at the team hotel, not 100 attended the game. Not sure how anyone at the hotel or not at the hotel could possibly know how many at the hotel were Marshall fans though.

Originally posted by Herd4ever07:
Fever, he said 100 stayed at the team hotel, not 100 attended the game. Not sure how anyone at the hotel or not at the hotel could possibly know how many at the hotel were Marshall fans though.
Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know more than 100 people at the hotel were in Kelly green.

The stadium was absolutely more than 1/8th full. 1/8 would be less than 4,000 people. It looked bad at kickoff but filled in during the first quarter.

Originally posted by HerdandHokies:
The stadium was absolutely more than 1/8th full. 1/8 would be less than 4,000 people. It looked bad at kickoff but filled in during the first quarter.
Look at the time of the post. It was at kickoff.

Penn, I was referring to his blanket statement that only 100 were at the hotel. Unless he knew every guest and asked them why they were there, it's a statement he simply wouldn't be able to confirm. As you stated, several were in Kelly green at the hotel, but even if they weren't it wouldn't be proof they weren't Herd fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT