ADVERTISEMENT

Zapped By the Zips

dangerousdaneerfan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2007
99-88

Herd falls to 6-4 and are now 0 for the road.

On a bright note, Elmore is the first Herd player to EVER have three straight double-doubles in points and assists.

Missing two starters on the road at a gym where they have won 20+ straight.

Waiting to see what we look like at full strength.

Reactions: ohio herd
I'll say this again. We need big men. The ones we have aren't going to get it done. Not athletic or talented enough! Hopefully with the guys coming in next year this will change. That was the difference tonight and will hurt us the rest of the way.

Reactions: Elkview
Did you watch the game? No reason to be negative. We were down three starters and played right with the projected MAC champion on there home court (22 game win streak at home) on a night that Akron played the perfect game for 3/4 of the game. I am proud of this Herd team and things are only looking up for the future. It's hard to beat a team that shoots 73% (11/15) from three in the first half.

Maybe you should just head back to the USPAM board where you belong. Hope you guys had fun playing Western Carolina in Charleston. What a fun game! Huggy is just mad because Marshall finally has a basketball coach that isn't afraid to speak the truth and call Huggins out on his crap.

I'll say this again. We need big men. The ones we have aren't going to get it done. Not athletic or talented enough! Hopefully with the guys coming in next year this will change. That was the difference tonight and will hurt us the rest of the way.
Agree. Our second and third stringers can't keep up with the starters on other teams.

Then why won't he play that 67 year old? I will give Huggy one thing, he has Dantoni beat on DUIs and the amount of his calorie intake.

Last edited:
Without having an inside presence due to the lack of athletic and capable bigs , what you saw again tonight will continue the rest of the season , we only have one way to win and that is to outscore the other team but when you practically give up 100 your not going to win too many unless your Kentucky which obviously we are not.

Reactions: oldeherd
Without having an inside presence due to the lack of athletic and capable bigs , what you saw again tonight will continue the rest of the season , we only have one way to win and that is to outscore the other team but when you practically give up 100 your not going to win too many unless your Kentucky which obviously we are not.

Well said, 77. Until DD decides to emphasize more the defensive side of the game, and demand greater effort of his players in that aspect, we're going to see more of these type games. Our defenders are TOO SLOW to get out on open shooters; that is a main factor why they shoot such ridiculously high percentages against our D in these road games particularly. We as a team lack OVERALL QUICKNESS and/or FOOT SPEED, both in some of our BIGS and in our guards out front, who often get beaten on the first step which leads to open drives to the hoop or fouls from behind. Serious flaws in defensive play and in reacting to offensive movement is a key reason why we are giving up right at triple digit points in every road game so far!!

Reactions: MARSHALL77
Again I go back to watching games on television as well as in person - teams that are consistent winners are teams that play D and play it well something most any coach regardless of the level of play understands i.e youth , middle school , high school , college , NBA and yes occasionally the NBA does show momentary D from time to time.

Not saying we would ever be on the same level for an extended period of time with the current Top 10, however if you watch those teams you see smothering defense played from start to finish.Agil and quick players moving from the O to the D end of the court , not being out run to the opposite end of the floor as a general rule Add in their ability to score and you see a combined record of 94-5.

We on the other hand , slow to move , slow to react , out muscled under the boards , just trying to see if we can out gun the other guy. Every so often that is accomplished but to be a force even within CUSA you have to understand how to play D , our players obviously do not and that falls back on the head man and the idea we can outscore teams vs stopping teams from scoring,

Those of us that go to practice know that Danny spends more time working on defense than offense. He will tell you he loves defense and has always been a defense first guy. Believe me, they work hard on it. He stops them time and time again if their feet are in the wrong position

Those of us that go to practice know that Danny spends more time working on defense than offense. He will tell you he loves defense and has always been a defense first guy. Believe me, they work hard on it. He stops them time and time again if their feet are in the wrong position

That is not good to read - tells us nothing more than what we already know - we do not have any bigs...why?

It's a well known fact that to win today ( well over the last 20 years) you better have some towers working both ends of the floor , not something that suddenly popped up last week. Apparently the nation sans Marshall got the word.

Did you watch the game? No reason to be negative. We were down three starters and played right with the projected MAC champion on there home court (22 game win streak at home) on a night that Akron played the perfect game for 3/4 of the game. I am proud of this Herd team and things are only looking up for the future. It's hard to beat a team that shoots 73% (11/15) from three in the first half.

Maybe you should just head back to the USPAM board where you belong. Hope you guys had fun playing Western Carolina in Charleston. What a fun game! Huggy is just mad because Marshall finally has a basketball coach that isn't afraid to speak the truth and call Huggins out on his crap.
Let me repeat this again Surbadger. If you knew anything about basketball and Marshall. We need big men inside. Yes, we were missing Taylor and Thompson but the guys that we call "Big Men" are not the ones that
will not get it done inside. We need bigger bodied, physical and more athletic big men. If you would have read further I said hopefully the big men coming in next year will answer that problem. It's not negative. It's a fact that everyone realizes except you. I've seen and attended more Marshall basketball and football games than you can count. You don't want to go there! So, eat your Uspam comment my friend.
Go Herd!

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
How some of you pretend like the absence of our two best inside defenders isn't affecting this team is beyond my comprehension. This is a different team with Taylor and Thompson back. Throw in Burks and and we now have the return of three of the top six players. That will be huge. Some of you guys dismissing that fact fact in order to validate your previously held beliefs of DD and our basketball team is obvious. But anyone who has followed this team the last two years understands how far it has come.

And the WVU OP...I have no problems with your posting constructive criticisms as long as you explain your position and back it up with evidence. But if you lay dormant through the wins and come out of the woodwork during the losses to stir it up, I will personally remove you from the board.

Let me repeat this again Surbadger. If you knew anything about basketball and Marshall. We need big men inside. Yes, we were missing Taylor and Thompson but the guys that we call "Big Men" are not the ones that
will not get it done inside. We need bigger bodied, physical and more athletic big men. If you would have read further I said hopefully the big men coming in next year will answer that problem. It's not negative. It's a fact that everyone realizes except you. I've seen and attended more Marshall basketball and football games than you can count. You don't want to go there! So, eat your Uspam comment my friend.
Go Herd!
My comment wasn't for you man, it was for the WVU OP. I understand the need for a big man, but give the team credit. We were literally playing the end of the bench against a very good team last night. Our game plan was to control the big man they had (Johnson) and they controlled him much better than I thought they could. Akron had to rely on shooting lights out all night. They also got all the bounces during the game. If we had all of our players available, we win this game. This was not like Ohio State, my played great, Akron literally just played their best game this year.

Yes, we aren't the best down low, but we have a good team and Dantoni has big men coming! If you watched Johnson last night, remember that MU has a player coming that is almost identical to him.

Again, my post wasn't against you, so no harm done and Go Herd!

Considering we were without Thompson and Taylor I thought they played well. Akron is the best team in the MAC and we played them well to the end. With our other guys we could have won that game last night. This team keeps getting better.

How some of you pretend like the absence of our two best inside defenders isn't affecting this team is beyond my comprehension. This is a different team with Taylor and Thompson back. Throw in Burks and and we now have the return of three of the top six players. That will be huge. Some of you guys dismissing that fact fact in order to validate your previously held beliefs of DD and our basketball team is obvious. But anyone who has followed this team the last two years understands how far it has come.

And the WVU OP...I have no problems with your posting constructive criticisms as long as you explain your position and back it up with evidence. But if you lay dormant through the wins and come out of the woodwork during the losses to stir it up, I will personally remove you from the board.
GK, I stuck to the facts of the matter and never uttered a word of smack.

I understand and completely concur with that statement. This is not a smackboard and someone like Surbadger should know that as well.

If not for dangerous dan we would not find out if the herd lost. He never posts after a win but after a loss he posts within 10 seconds of the final buzzer. . I have warned him for the board and he will not do it again for at least a week.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
GK, I stuck to the facts of the matter and never uttered a word of smack.

I understand and completely concur with that statement. This is not a smackboard and someone like Surbadger should know that as well.

Let's get a few things straight. You've been allowed to stay because, although you are critical, you have put together points that fosters discussion. That and I honestly believe most Herd posters enjoy refuting you. However what you need to know is this is a Herd first message board and the rules aren't applied uniformly. Herd fans can talk trash about WVU, but WVU can't talk trash about Marshall. This board is privately owned and the first amendment does not apply here. This isn't about equal say and fairness. If you believe your own message boards aren't run the same way you're fooling yourself. Maybe if you spent the time you spend here on your own board you might figure that out.

So if you want to discuss in a civil manner, even if you disagree, that's fine to a certain point. At that time that your arguments start to resemble a mantra more then civil discussion, or your arguments become redundant and appear to be more of an agenda then a discussion...you will be shown the door.

With all being said, I guess we'll find out by tomorrow's game about the status of both Taylor and Thompson as to whether they'll be available for the Cincy game on Thursday. Hopefully, both won't be needed against WV Wesleyan and will be able to gain additional rest. Let's hope Burks can use this game to get the rust off of his game after sitting out so far and that Nikolic, Penava and Milan can get valuable and meaningful playing time which can give them more confidence.

Otherwise, playing with a short bench as an excuse for our road woes thus far just says volumes about our overall talent level, or LACK THEREOF. Going 8 or 9 deep gives us the likes of Thineman, Kilgore, the other Elmore and Frampton. Not sure how many are on scholarships or not. Hopefully, as another season or two goes by these will be replaced by improved talent who can provide really quality play off the bench without significant drop off in quality of team play. I believe that this is Danny D's ultimate plan, to have enough REAL TALENT to go 10 or more deep and being able to keep the Herd playing at a high level, even if a key player or two is missing. This obviously is not the case currently, as, despite the statements regarding defense being emphasized in practice, the fact is that the Herd is giving up close to a 100 points a game in its road games, and the last the 3 opponents have had players establish CAREER HIGHS in points against MU. These do not say very much about the caliber of MU's "defense", no matter who we are putting on the floor!!

With all being said, I guess we'll find out by tomorrow's game about the status of both Taylor and Thompson as to whether they'll be available for the Cincy game on Thursday. Hopefully, both won't be needed against WV Wesleyan and will be able to gain additional rest. Let's hope Burks can use this game to get the rust off of his game after sitting out so far and that Nikolic, Penava and Milan can get valuable and meaningful playing time which can give them more confidence.

Otherwise, playing with a short bench as an excuse for our road woes thus far just says volumes about our overall talent level, or LACK THEREOF. Going 8 or 9 deep gives us the likes of Thineman, Kilgore, the other Elmore and Frampton. Not sure how many are on scholarships or not. Hopefully, as another season or two goes by these will be replaced by improved talent who can provide really quality play off the bench without significant drop off in quality of team play. I believe that this is Danny D's ultimate plan, to have enough REAL TALENT to go 10 or more deep and being able to keep the Herd playing at a high level, even if a key player or two is missing. This obviously is not the case currently, as, despite the statements regarding defense being emphasized in practice, the fact is that the Herd is giving up close to a 100 points a game in its road games, and the last the 3 opponents have had players establish CAREER HIGHS in points against MU. These do not say very much about the caliber of MU's "defense", no matter who we are putting on the floor!!
I hear ya, but actually, without Taylor/Thompson/Burks, when we first sub, we're at our 8-9th man. Then when we sub again, we're at our 10-11th man. Then when those guys get into foul trouble, we're subbing Thieneman/Kilgore in as our 12-13th men. Walk-ons aren't anywhere close to our 8-9th spots.

Penava and Mijovic have played pretty well thus far. once Taylor and Thompson return the quality minutes that Penava has played will be extremely beneficial down the road. Burks will give us a high quality guard off the bench and all of a sudden we will be able to play 8 or 9 players. we will be much stronger as the season goes on. As far as the future is concerned Bennett will be a huge factor and I truly believe that Penava with his length and continued added muscle will be terrific for us the next 2 years

I would doubt that Danny would play either Taylor or Thompson if they are physically able to play. Give them an extra couple days to heal.

Without having an inside presence due to the lack of athletic and capable bigs , what you saw again tonight will continue the rest of the season , we only have one way to win and that is to outscore the other team....

really? is that the only way to win? outscore the other team? thanks for the insight. pretty sure that applies to all teams that play the game.

really? is that the only way to win? outscore the other team? thanks for the insight. pretty sure that applies to all teams that play the game.

Not really - other teams generally have multiple ways - Defense and Offense vs only Offense.

When this team goes cold its over as there is nothing to amount to anything when it comes to playing good defense.

Again another reason we need the smack board as this would be a lot of fun for sure.

Not really - other teams generally have multiple ways - Defense and Offense vs only Offense.

When this team goes cold its over as there is nothing to amount to anything when it comes to playing good defense.

Again another reason we need the smack board as this would be a lot of fun for sure.

It would be fun to talk smack about your alma mater's basketball program?

Reactions: MARSHALL77
It would be fun to talk smack about your alma mater's basketball program?

Sure would ,that way all you so called issues the PC'ers could always stay here and the anyone else could have it wide open on the reopened Thunder in the Mountains , you could move all the WVU posters to that area and keep this for Marshall only. Like it formerly was.

Take the shots at the staff ( regardless of sport) the AD etc - open it up on that and keep this for for "non combative " responses as well as those who do not think there is an issue with hoops or football.

Just a thought

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan

lol

We also went into OT and lost on a last second shot to a top 25 Cindy team. Are you USPAM t-shirt fans so insecure that Marshall has a good basketball team? Yes, you guys might be having a good year too, but this is a good Marshall team. We still haven't seen a 100% Marshall team this year!

Say what you want about how you guys aren't afraid to play us, or say that we aren't good enough to play you. Say what you want, but you just have fun playing Western Carolina or the mighty University of Kansas City Missouri (did I say that right?).

I just do not understand why you people are so fixated on the Herd. Maybe it has something to do with your administration cancelling the sports series you actually had an edge in. Now you have mostly just Volleyball and Tennis that I know. These are regular series and Marshall is always the favorite. In volleyball, I think Marshall has won what, 11 of the last 13?

You people are delusional.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT