ADVERTISEMENT

Ali

Mar 12, 2012
So what’s the deal? Obviously there’s been an injury and rumor is it’s him and it isn’t good. Is this a season ending injury or a few week thing?

So what’s the deal? Obviously there’s been an injury and rumor is it’s him and it isn’t good. Is this a season ending injury or a few week thing?
No one is going to tell the public that... At best we will get, "He's dealing with a little bit of an issue"

Well if he isn’t working out this week, someone will notice and it will leak out

Giant NIL offer on the table turning his head?
I’m thinking that or maybe Laborn was pushing him for playing time. Transfers both in and out haven’t worked out well for most MU players when it comes to the next level.

Reactions: bris1112
I’m thinking that or maybe Laborn was pushing him for playing time. Transfers both in and out haven’t worked out well for most MU players when it comes to the next level.

I was thinking there was 0% chance he wouldn't get poached before next year.
Looks like we may not get year 2 out him.
Somebody needs to cut the check.

HUFF's statement really was dumb. It made him sound more mentally unstable than just an injury. Look at the conspiracies just in this thread, NIL, transferring, etc. by not just saying he's injured.

Let me re-write what Huff shouldve said:

"Ali was injured in practice last week and we hope to have him back soon but we dont know an exact return date right now. We have some young depth at that position but its always hard losing a player like him."

HUFF's statement really was dumb. It made him sound more mentally unstable than just an injury. Look at the conspiracies just in this thread, NIL, transferring, etc. by not just saying he's injured.

"Ali was injured in practice last week and we hope to have him back soon but we dont know an exact return date right now. We have some young depth at that position but its always hard losing a player like him."
Good post. I'm not sure why injuries are kept secret at Marshall, assuming this is the case, but that's not the way it rolls at other schools. For instance, if Alabama's star tailback was injured, it would be all over the news, as well as running across the ticker on ESPN. I can understand why the moderators here don't discuss these things, if they're provided with guidelines (from Shewey) to not disclose them.

Are you confirming that he is injured, or is that just another conspiracy theory?

Reactions: rvntx and bris1112
Was trying the ol' reverse psychology on myself and hoping it wasn't injury.
We can fix the mental issues with cash.
Sadly I'm being made aware it is indeed a leg. Allegedly.

If it's medically related in any way, they don't have to tell you sh*t.

Conspiracies exist no matter what. As clean cut as your statement may appear, it'd be muddied up by posters on here who'd think you're lying.

Good post. I'm not sure why injuries are kept secret at Marshall, assuming this is the case, but that's not the way it rolls at other schools. For instance, if Alabama's star tailback was injured, it would be all over the news, as well as running across the ticker on ESPN. I can understand why the moderators here don't discuss these things, if they're provided with guidelines (from Shewey) to not disclose them.

Medically related anything, I am pretty sure, is not allowed to be reported by anyone unless given permission by the patient.
Usually injuries are pretty clearly defined as you'd presume a leg injury if you saw Ali in a boot or cast on his leg and crutches the following day.
But he doesn't have to tell you or any member of the press if he doesn't want to and I doubt the university can state what the injury is beyond he is needing time off.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
You can't hide stuff at Bama or any of the top P5s. Far too many people are paying attention because those schools are money movers. Bama has 100 or so people covering them. Not to mention the demands on those programs.

At Marshall we have 2-3 guys that follow and cover day-to-day happenings in MU athletics. Landon, Traylor, and Dave Wilson. That's it and none of those guys are doing hard hitting journalism. Then you have the HN staff to go along with it.

No one is paying attention to what is going on at Marshall and no one is asking questions. You an bet if Bama did make this type of statement people would be digging into it. That's why Marshall does it and that's why they can do it.

Now if we somehow got back to the 90s or to Boise status and the networks and money men actually gave two craps about us you start to see more leaks and better statements.

new turf got him.
/leans into "conspiracy" thread
Seriously - if he's physically hurt hope he heals quick and is ready for conference games.

Reactions: Jartard
new turf got him.
/leans into "conspiracy" thread
Seriously - if he's physically hurt hope he heals quick and is ready for conference games.
Personally, I could see him not returning if he's out multiple games. He can test the NFL waters after this year. Why risk it? Not saying it's right, but it seems to be the way for these players now. Especially RB's.

Reactions: bris1112
I sorta take it as maybe he was injured and it affected his psyche that he needed to get away and be with family. May be a mile off base here, but injuries affect some athletes in very different ways.
Whatever it is, family issue or injury, my thoughts are with the young man.

Medically related anything, I am pretty sure, is not allowed to be reported by anyone unless given permission by the patient.
Usually injuries are pretty clearly defined as you'd presume a leg injury if you saw Ali in a boot or cast on his leg and crutches the following day.
But he doesn't have to tell you or any member of the press if he doesn't want to and I doubt the university can state what the injury is beyond he is needing time off.
Not sure that's true. For the most part, HIPPA privacy laws apply to certain insurance and medical professionals. A lot of coaches simply make it a practice to stay quiet about illness and injury of their players, but I don't think they're required to do so.

The University does NOT fall under HIPAA. This seems to be a Marshall / Coach policy

Not sure that's true. For the most part, HIPPA privacy laws apply to certain insurance and medical professionals. A lot of coaches simply make it a practice to stay quiet about illness and injury of their players, but I don't think they're required to do so.

I can see that
However, buzzwords of "mentally" and "emotionally" I presume there won't be much said outside of a physical injury, given the stigma of mental health.

Whatever the issue MU's brass once again caused a murky situation to be muddied even more with their dollar tree level communication skills.

Huff ran into the issue of wanting to sound too official. It should have just been a simple line or two. Something like Unfortunately Rasheen Ali won't be ready for the season. We are looking forward to his return. Go Herd! You can be vague without adding to it.

I'm well aware of HIPPA laws, and who's impacted within them. I can get hit in the nuts later this afternoon, go to the doctor's office to get an adjustment, and choose not to disclose it, but that doesn't mean the B**** that kicked me won't go on Facebook Live and announce it to the world. I'm sure whatever the issue happens to be, whether an injury, death in the family, or any of the other thousands of possibilities will get out at some point though.

Reactions: RhinoD
I'm well aware of HIPPA laws, and who's impacted within them. I can get hit in the nuts later this afternoon, go to the doctor's office to get an adjustment, and choose not to disclose it, but that doesn't mean the B**** that kicked me won't go on Facebook Live and announce it to the world. I'm sure whatever the issue happens to be, whether an injury, death in the family, or any of the other thousands of possibilities will get out at some point though.

Not saying it won't or it will. Just saying there's reasons for it not happening.

Whatever the issue MU's brass once again caused a murky situation to be muddied even more with their dollar tree level communication skills.

Huff ran into the issue of wanting to sound too official. It should have just been a simple line or two. Something like Unfortunately Rasheen Ali won't be ready for the season. We are looking forward to his return. Go Herd! You can be vague without adding to it.

Being intentionally vague, while not new, is even worse than what Huff said.

I think Huff wanted to try to cover as much as he could without saying anything.

I just don't think kids from the tough Cleveland area have nervous breakdowns, they grow up hard as nails. This sounds more financial to me than "health related". Just my two cents worth!

Reactions: Herdon2

Bingo... It's almost like we try to suck at communication in the Shewey and across our athletics programs.

Just reading the poorly conceived official statement from Huff, it does not sound like a physical injury... If it were, they would be able to go with the equally generic "Rasheen is dealing with a minor injury and we hope to get him back soon" yada yada yada.

Sounds more like some bad news on the personal/family front... The statement reads more like someone close to him has died/is dying and he will be gone during the grieving process.

No matter what it is, let's pray for him, his family and those close to him.

Being intentionally vague, while not new, is even worse than what Huff said.

I think Huff wanted to try to cover as much as he could without saying anything.
The thing is he over spoke. While trying to give what he thought was a thorough answer he inadvertently made the situation worse. Statements need to be short and sweet.

We've now gone from possible knee sprain to Ali is a headcase that needed to go home to "get right".

Last edited:
Bingo... It's almost like we try to suck at communication in the Shewey and across our athletics programs.

Just reading the poorly conceived official statement from Huff, it does not sound like a physical injury... If it were, they would be able to go with the equally generic "Rasheen is dealing with a minor injury and we hope to get him back soon" yada yada yada.

Sounds more like some bad news on the personal/family front... The statement reads more like someone close to him has died/is dying and he will be gone during the grieving process.

No matter what it is, let's pray for him, his family and those close to him.
Even if it was a family death. Just say something to the effect that Due to a loss in the family Rasheen Ali will miss some time to start the season. We look forward to his return and our thoughts and prayers are with he and his family. Go Herd!

That is a statement that i have seen time and time again in many walks of life. It's respectful to the the family and it keeps the idiots at bay. Instead we get what we got and every speculation short of an alien abduction is being thrown around. This also breeds mistrust in the university and further erodes relations with an already fractured fan base.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT