ADVERTISEMENT

Atmosphere

redsfan5590

Silver Buffalo
Dec 14, 2010
Let me start this by saying: I am very happy we won! I’m excited that we were able to take care of business and are controlling our destiny. This team has a chance to be excited and Obi helped a ton tonight. Greene played his best game I thought. My biggest gripe was that the fans didn’t seem into the game, and I can’t blame them because from the outset the game day logistics were disjointed and poorly planned.

So here’s a quick rundown of the way the game started tonight:

- alma Mater (why do we still sing that?
- anthem
- band butchers Mountain music
- “Lets start a party” (I think) blaring. Honestly it was a hard, rock song to follow without a rhythm or way for people to get into it. Immediately followed by:

- very somber video tribute. Which is good.

- team walks to mid field. Breaks and goes to sideline. No music is played. Nothing is said. After 30 awkwardly quiet seconds some fans try to start the “We are Marshall chant” because you know, we should probably all be doing that in that moment. But shockingly no one official had.

- chant is interrupted by the beginning 20 seconds of Thunderstruck.

- that’s interrupted by “Fans the West Virginia lottery...”

- coin toss

- thunderstruck again. But again never getting to the part where they say “you’ve been... thunderstruck” nope. Just the intro.

- kickoff

I expected more out of the experience. This game means something. If there is one game all year that everything should be perfect for, that we should have an amazing atmosphere for, it should be this one. Instead, it’s the same crap. We watch 3 and half hours of commercials with a few football plays sprinkled in, great the Go Mart general manager is there. Cool. Why do I care? The band, cheerleaders, PA, and Music are not even in the same ballpark let alone on the same page. And the fans are left to sit there confused and quiet. We should be better than this.

The band tried playing 5 year old rap songs at least two times while the crowd tried to start the “We are...” cheer. They also repeatedly tried to start the wave 5 minutes into the game while we were down a score. I’m glad we have a band and am thankful for their spirit and support, but they’re so out of sync with the rest of the game/crowd more often than not.

The band tried playing 5 year old rap songs at least two times while the crowd tried to start the “We are...” cheer. They also repeatedly tried to start the wave 5 minutes into the game while we were down a score. I’m glad we have a band and am thankful for their spirit and support, but they’re so out of sync with the rest of the game/crowd more often than not.
The problem is that the band is told when to play from the box. It’s not that they are intentionally trying to interrupt, they get told when to play and they play.

Reactions: herd66
I’ve been saying it, preaching it, begging to change it for years. Our AD knows it all. So JR. High. EVERY other college football game is choreographed, coordinated, and the varying units are in sync. That’s why, as a perfectionist, it’s hard for me to attend a game . I just can’t get past the poorly executed game experience. There is so much “lower hanging fruit” that would make the game experience so much more enjoyable.

How to get more people in the stands is very easy: lower the ticket prices. Offer flash sales. Combine a flash sale combo ticket for both football AND basketball. Stop burying the discount tickets on the obscure Big Green page of the athletic department website. For the millennials, create interactive app. Post Instagram messages and pics in scoreboard during time outs..... I could go on and on....

Last edited:
redsfan makes some valid points. I've found better game day atmosphere, and coordinated chants/band/music segments at high school football games.

For example, why do they insist on playing music over the MU Band trying to play a song? Or the music is left on while Bill Cornwell is trying to say something over the PA. How can you sit there in the box and not know that is happening? Or do we just let people rotate in and out of the control seat and let them have a turn at being a director?

Let's be honest, we don't need to have so much rock and hip hop music played during the game and we don't need it at every break in play. Or played right up to the moment the ball is snapped for the next play. Let's have some more chants. Let the band play some more. So much can be improved.

If we only had a team with a winning record ..:rolleyes:............you make your own atmosphere, not wait for someone else to lead you along)

It is what it is, regardless. We do have a winning team. But, the atmosphere does seem to be lacking. I think in the off season they need to work on some coordination and how to get some enthusiasm going.

Reactions: herd66
Well, I was actually going to put that in my post.:)

I could be the Atmosphere Manager or Atmosphere Director.

First thing is I have to figure out how to get more than 5,000 people to come in the games.
I am deeply concerned if you are to become game day atmosphere Czar, will it hinder your ability to monitor Pullman?

I totally agree that they need to make a lot of adjustments to the game experience and I like all of these suggestions.

We definitely need to drop ticket prices. I think East Prime seats should be no more than $25. More butts in the seats helps atmosphere and they will spend money on concessions etc to help cover the difference.

I don’t know what they are now, but season tickets in the same section should average out to $17 or so.

I agree with all of you that the music drowning out the band is stupid.Only one "We Are Marshall" cheer last night. However, I still had a good time.I go to cheer on the Herd and hang out with my friends. So as Chuckie would say, .... no game ball to Marshall for lame coordination of game day activities.

Here is the reality. Marshall has bigger problems than atmosphere issues.

Why do we still sing the alma mater? You seriously have to ask about that.

The only reason I asked that is because no one sings it. We stand there while the band plays. I’ve been going to Marshall games my entire life. I’ve never heard one person sing it. That being said, it’s really a minor point. We can keep it if it means something to some.

Band interaction. Could be better. Main issue is we seem to want to get 7 pounds of material in a 5 pound material sack during every break, between the band, the music, the awards, and commercials. Also marching band music is a genre, play that.

Alma mater. Surely there is somebody in the music department who could learn the song. Actually we have always only done the first verse, the song only make sense if you do both.

Ticket prices. Fine, please tell me your plan for making up the lost revenue, and please list the people you personally know who do not attend games because of price. Thought so.

Reactions: Herd Insider
Band interaction. Could be better. Main issue is we seem to want to get 7 pounds of material in a 5 pound material sack during every break, between the band, the music, the awards, and commercials. Also marching band music is a genre, play that.

Alma mater. Surely there is somebody in the music department who could learn the song. Actually we have always only done the first verse, the song only make sense if you do both.

Ticket prices. Fine, please tell me your plan for making up the lost revenue, and please list the people you personally know who do not attend games because of price. Thought so.
I am not sure about the price. But, I think people don't go because they are finding other things to do with their time and money. That is usually what happens. It is about where people decided to spend their discretionary income and their valuable time.

I know we paid $70($35 a ticket) to sit in some pretty good seats.

I also know right now I can go buy $10 tickets to see NC State vs Georgia Tech as well. $15 will put me on the lower level. Source Vivid Seats. Using this for comparison.

$35 for tickets in Huntington WV seems a little high for the area and CUSA football. Not for me, as I don't care I drove in to see a game. But, it seems a little steep for some folks. I can see that angle.

Last edited:
The only reason I asked that is because no one sings it. We stand there while the band plays. I’ve been going to Marshall games my entire life. I’ve never heard one person sing it. That being said, it’s really a minor point. We can keep it if it means something to some.[/QUOTEAlmost everyone around me, including me and my wife and our family, sing it. So guess you're sitting in the wrong area; and you could sing it yourself.

I love the ardent defenders of everything Marshall does. Nothing ever needs or could be improved. Because we do it then it's perfect.

The game day atmosphere has changed so much since I was there. The band is an after thought now, the We Are...Marshall chant is hardly ever done, never initiated by the cheerleaders like it used to be, and never happens when it should.

The music selection is random, horrible, and is anything but adrenaline inducing.

We really drop the ball.

The only reason I asked that is because no one sings it. We stand there while the band plays. I’ve been going to Marshall games my entire life. I’ve never heard one person sing it. That being said, it’s really a minor point. We can keep it if it means something to some.
My honest opinion is that it’s because it’s what everyone else does. Just a guess, but it’s the best I got

It's rare that HS kids learn their school's Alma Mater. The odds don't get any better once they land on a college campus. It's time to remove the Alma Mater from all game day activities.

Reactions: redsfan5590
The game day atmosphere is pitiful. Last night was worse. The video tribute was good and certainly needed to be aired but it did seem to suck the life out of the crowd and team.
We looked very flat for the first quarter.
It’s very bad. Cornwall for the good job he does is too monotonal. He needs to get some excitement when announcing first downs, big third downs for the defense and be a cheerleader in that regard. I see it at many games. Not sure if we don’t want to appear as homer’s or what.

The scoreboard graphics look like they came from the 80’s and music selection sucks. Just poorly planned and carried out.

Reactions: Herd Insider
I sing it at every game I go to. But I was there in the '60's and am an old man.

Nothing wrong with singing our Alma Mater. It's a link to our past. We sang it at Fairfield.

Many schools sing it after the game, win or lose.

I like the tune and lyrics. It touches my heart.

I wish a faculty member from the School of Music would lead it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT