ADVERTISEMENT

Atmosphere

Let me start this by saying: I am very happy we won! I’m excited that we were able to take care of business and are controlling our destiny. This team has a chance to be excited and Obi helped a ton tonight. Greene played his best game I thought. My biggest gripe was that the fans didn’t seem into the game, and I can’t blame them because from the outset the game day logistics were disjointed and poorly planned.

So here’s a quick rundown of the way the game started tonight:

- alma Mater (why do we still sing that?
- anthem
- band butchers Mountain music
- “Lets start a party” (I think) blaring. Honestly it was a hard, rock song to follow without a rhythm or way for people to get into it. Immediately followed by:

- very somber video tribute. Which is good.

- team walks to mid field. Breaks and goes to sideline. No music is played. Nothing is said. After 30 awkwardly quiet seconds some fans try to start the “We are Marshall chant” because you know, we should probably all be doing that in that moment. But shockingly no one official had.

- chant is interrupted by the beginning 20 seconds of Thunderstruck.

- that’s interrupted by “Fans the West Virginia lottery...”

- coin toss

- thunderstruck again. But again never getting to the part where they say “you’ve been... thunderstruck” nope. Just the intro.

- kickoff

I expected more out of the experience. This game means something. If there is one game all year that everything should be perfect for, that we should have an amazing atmosphere for, it should be this one. Instead, it’s the same crap. We watch 3 and half hours of commercials with a few football plays sprinkled in, great the Go Mart general manager is there. Cool. Why do I care? The band, cheerleaders, PA, and Music are not even in the same ballpark let alone on the same page. And the fans are left to sit there confused and quiet. We should be better than this.
Redsfan, you really seem to only care about the experience outside of the of the actual game itself. You post about this regularly. It sounds like you may be better suited to attend a minor league baseball game where all they care about is fan experience because they know the product on the field alone is not worth showing up for. Does the atmosphere add to the overall experience? Sure, I guess, but I’m there to watch football. I don’t care about the music. I’m not a 16 year old girl. I definitely care about the advertising. Money has to be made some how. I will say I agree with one poster who mentioned the band. Bands make a big difference in the overall atmosphere for sure. Look at places like Ohio State where people get just as excited to watch the band. I’m obviously not saying Marshall’s band will be anything like that but at least strive to be above average. You should let Hamrick know about your concerns. Maybe he can reach out to the operations team over at the WWE for help on the presentation of everything. They may even have a guy who can paint the goal posts for you. Until then, I’ll be content attending games to watch the games.

Last edited:
Redsfan, you really seem to only care about the experience outside of the of the actual game itself. You post about this regularly. It sounds like you may be better suited to attend a minor league baseball game where all they care about is fan experience because they know the product on the field alone is not worth showing up for. Does the atmosphere add to the overall experience? Sure, I guess, but I’m there to watch football. I don’t care about the music. I’m not a 16 year old girl. I definitely care about the advertising. Money has to be made some how. I will say I agree with one poster who mentioned the band. Bands make a big difference in the overall atmosphere for sure. Look at places like Ohio State where people get just as excited to watch the band. I’m obviously not saying Marshall’s band will be anything like that but at least strive to be above average. You should let Hamrick know about your concerns. Maybe he can reach out to the operations team over at the WWE for help on the presentation of everything. They may even have a guy who can paint the goal posts for you. Until then, I’ll be content attending games to watch the games.

Nothing like watching a football game in a quiet, half empty stadium. You’re right man. Beside the fact that everyone else in this thread has agreed to one level or another with my op.

You can feel all high and mighty about how much of a football purest you are great. 95% of fans are there for the game and to have a good time. Because guess what, I can sit at home and watch the game on my couch and watch the game. What I can’t get at home? The atmosphere of being at a college football game.

This is why this stuff is important. If you don’t create an exciting atmosphere, you’re doomed to be like the rest of C-USA where no one goes to games. Lots of people love “being there for football” but eventually, they will realize they can sit at home, not spend the money and enjoy themselves more than sitting in the cold and watching the game. But no, keep patting yourself on your back and telling yourself everything is great and Marshall doesn’t need to change.

by the way, you bring up the goalposts... I complained about them one time. Since then it’s been brought up multiple times by other posters. Can you tell me what is so wrong about suggesting that maybe just maybe we do something so simple as to paint the goal posts that are one of the most visible things on tv, and in our stadium? Maybe just slap a coat of paint on them so they don’t have that peed in the snow look? Can you tell me why that is so bad to suggest that? I’m very curious.

Win, Loss, or Draw

Marshall fans will find something to bitch about

You’re not wrong, but this is a legitimate issue as it has something to do with the lack of butts in the seats. At least this criticism isn’t specifically attacking Doc or the team. There are suggestions here that may help create a better fan experience and increase attendance.

We certainly need to find a way to get more people to attend the games. It helps the fan experience to be in a fuller stadium, it helps the bottom line, and it helps our team with energy and crowd noise.

Because every home game it becomes more apparent we don’t know what we’re doing.

That’s true but you’re preaching to the choir. It’s a broken record these boards. It’s apparent that the MU AD and brass think nothing is wrong. Until that thought changes, we are spinning our wheels here.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Nothing like watching a football game in a quiet, half empty stadium. You’re right man. Beside the fact that everyone else in this thread has agreed to one level or another with my op.

You can feel all high and mighty about how much of a football purest you are great. 95% of fans are there for the game and to have a good time. Because guess what, I can sit at home and watch the game on my couch and watch the game. What I can’t get at home? The atmosphere of being at a college football game.

This is why this stuff is important. If you don’t create an exciting atmosphere, you’re doomed to be like the rest of C-USA where no one goes to games. Lots of people love “being there for football” but eventually, they will realize they can sit at home, not spend the money and enjoy themselves more than sitting in the cold and watching the game. But no, keep patting yourself on your back and telling yourself everything is great and Marshall doesn’t need to change.

by the way, you bring up the goalposts... I complained about them one time. Since then it’s been brought up multiple times by other posters. Can you tell me what is so wrong about suggesting that maybe just maybe we do something so simple as to paint the goal posts that are one of the most visible things on tv, and in our stadium? Maybe just slap a coat of paint on them so they don’t have that peed in the snow look? Can you tell me why that is so bad to suggest that? I’m very curious.
Please tell me where I said everything is great and nothing needs to change? I’ll wait. It’s a football game for crying out loud. I hate to break it to you, but no one is going to the game based on what music is played or how much advertising is done. You know what draws attendance?? Winning! We can also factor in whoever the opponent is. I don’t care if you’re letting off fireworks, have zero advertising, cool music, laser shows and pass out glow sticks to everyone. No one is getting excited about going to see a game against Charlotte or whoever else in CUSA. For crying out loud this is college football. Take care of business on the field then maybe we can worry about putting on your circus going forward. You have to have an interest in the first place. Also the Huntington area is not the most economically well off. You really think if a family has to decide whether or not to spend extra cash on a football game that the tipping point for them is anything besides the team? Hey honey, listen I know cash is tight but the music and lack of advertising at the stadium is worth it!

Why keep wasting your money if the atmosphere is so bad? It seems pretty important to you. There’s a couple of ways you can influence change here, let Hamrick know or stop going to the games. Like you said, you can sit at home and get the same experience you get at the stadium. Maybe if you’re feeling wild you can play whatever music you like while you’re watching. I promise you, I have a lot of great memories attending Marshall games and not one of them includes what music was played or who they recognized as a sponsor.

As for the paint, I’ve never sat and watched a football game on tv or in person where I said man that goal post needs a fresh coat of paint! Would it be a good thing to do? Sure! I’m all for the upkeep of our facilities but I’m not out there nitpicking nonsense that doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of everything. I care about the product on the field. After all, that is the whole purpose of all of this. I’m not an idiot and realize the overall experience and atmosphere is a factor but I refuse to believe it will ever be the deciding factor for the majority of fans. Let’s say you can get everything on your ultimate experience check list. Will it really bring in a significant amount more in attendance? I think you know the answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: greengeezer
How to get more people in the stands is very easy: lower the ticket prices. Offer flash sales. Combine a flash sale combo ticket for both football AND basketball. Stop burying the discount tickets on the obscure Big Green page of the athletic department website. For the millennials, create interactive app. Post Instagram messages and pics in scoreboard during time outs..... I could go on and on....

They actually do that. They'd display tweets of the game with hashtags for said game.
Its all over the country being shown as well. I saw plenty more MU fans posting tweets during the game vs. Rice than Rice fans did.

I imagine many of the students follow the players on social media and post often about their actions in games.

Also, you do get plenty of information about discounts, promotions, and other deals for games on Twitter.
I think the modern method of promoting games via social media has clashed with older fans who simply aren't used to or want to engage in interacting with MU like that.

MU did advertise around Huntington about the La Tech game vis the billboards, which does help as well. I saw them advertised as far as South Charleston for MU games.

Not sure lowering ticket prices does anything to help...I say this because plenty of areas with low income people, still make drives 3 hrs to morganhole for wvu games and pay ticket prices for those.
I recall reading a letter from UMass fans about kayo marcum's horrendous approaches to improving UMass' basketball team and one of them was a disasterous lowring of ticket prices, which did not help and further sunk UMass' program.

That’s true but you’re preaching to the choir. It’s a broken record these boards. It’s apparent that the MU AD and brass think nothing is wrong. Until that thought changes, we are spinning our wheels here.

When you have people complaining about the paint on goal posts, drops of apparent blood on bleachers, or the bathrooms making their pee pee's nervous, do you really expect to have a good atmosphere?
I find it funny this was posted AFTER MU won, and beat a team who was probably #27 in national rankings peior to the game itself.
Minus a complete moronic call on a punt or whatever that was, MU plays a solid game.
MU did what they could (and could do better, as can any program) promoting the game.
MU playing the best team in the conference, Skip's history against MU, the last time MU met LT I believe was in the CUSA finals which MU won, etc.

No. Instead its, "how can I find something wrong with this...even if its absolutely miniscule."
Its spreading to other parts of the AD itself...MU's getting called 'mediocre' because it released drawings of a baseball stadium that hasn't even been built.
Even if MU (out of some unheard of miracle) decided to change the renderings to fit the suggestions of some on here...they'd complain about the company supplying the seats...and again, say MU is mediocre.
They are beating a dead horse, but hey, let them post on here, its much more satisfying for the complainers to read themselves in print than argue in person, where they'd have no common sense voice in the grand scheme of it all.

You really think if a family has to decide whether or not to spend extra cash on a football game that the tipping point for them is anything besides the team?

Yes, I absolutely think that.

If money is tight and dad loves the games, mom likes the games, and the kids get bored after one quarter and start whining about going home, the atmosphere surrounding just the on-field action is very important to get those fans to come.

Within the last week, I have been to home games at BYU, Utah, and Utah State. I miss most of the action on the field in the first quarter of games, because I am too busy checking out the other facilities, seeing how all of the other entertainment involved, seeing how the seating is done, etc.

Utah State had a kid's zone inside the stadium perimeter. It's similar to what I saw Texas State do by having huge inflatable slides, bouncy house, and a petting zoo inside the stadium grounds. Parents can drop off the bored kids, use it basically as babysitting for a quarter, and watch the game while the kids get their value for the ticket since they don't care about the game.

BYU, admittedly a big step up from Marshall, had the best food options I have ever seen in any football game. I can't begin to list all of the options, but one line (for Korean BBQ in a cup) consistently had 50+ people in it throughout the game. One thing I noticed was that both BYU and Utah State have numerous food trucks both inside of the stadium and outside of the stadium. I'm sure they make a cut on all of it, and the food options were extensive.

Utah is a top 10 team, so they are packing the stadium regardless of the extras this year.

Not a single one had any type of commercial for any business. What they did have was events sponsored by a business:

1) A fan was allowed to punt once, throw once, and then attempt a field goal from where the ball was after the punt and pass. If he made it, the entire stadium would get a free haircut from a local business. No commercial but just a brief mention of the business sponsoring it.

2) Another fan was given a 10 yard head start and had to race "Flash" (or some other name ripped off from the Atlanta Braves) to the other end zone. If he won, he received $500.

3) Another fan was given three chances to pass through a tire 10 yards away. For each one he threw through it, he received $100.

4) Another business was promoted by giving away subs which were thrown into the crowd (wrapped). Another business was promoted by giving away humongous pizzas which were put in the student section and filmed as the students tore the pizzas to shreds trying to get a piece.

5) Kiss cam, Lion King Simba cam, dance off cam, etc.

I know that Marshall does a lot of these things, but none of these three schools had any type of 15-30 second commercial on the screen or even announced. They would mix in the sponsor's name during the event which had fans involved and cheering on the participant. It went from cheering in the game to cheering a fan in one of the events to back to cheering in the game. There was no interruption for a 30 second commercial, no down time, etc.

But yes, a family tight with how they are going to spend their entertainment dollars will absolutely be influenced by the ability of the option being fun for all involved.

Last edited:
You can only do what you do. My family and I were there, that’s all we can control.
These posts come after every home game? Why? That horse has been dead a long time.
Then, maybe Marshall ought to try to fix the problem. Damn, this is about entertainment and I am old grump conservative fart. Especially in today's world it is vitally important. You are fighting for people's time and money. It is one reason people love WWE. The big time college games are full of entertainment and pagentry. There is a reason the Super Bowl is more than the game.

They could do some little things they don't cost a lot of money. A football game should not be like attending a funeral. Hell, I have been to funeral visitations that are more lively.

..MU's getting called 'mediocre' because it released drawings of a baseball stadium that hasn't even been built.
Even if MU (out of some unheard of miracle) decided to change the renderings to fit the suggestions of some on here...they'd complain about the company supplying the seats...and again, say MU is mediocre.
They are beating a dead horse, but hey, let them post on here, its much more satisfying for the complainers to read themselves in print than argue in person, where they'd have no common sense voice in the grand scheme of it all.

Would you care to discuss why Marshall's design is entirely different from just about every other legitimate stadium, including the two that I posted last week which further proved my point about the popularity of the aspect Marshall is eliminating?

Oh, and here's another complaint for you:

https://marshall.forums.rivals.com/threads/baseball-stadium-sponsorships.45397/

Yes, I absolutely think that.

If money is tight and dad loves the games, mom likes the games, and the kids get bored after one quarter and start whining about going home, the atmosphere surrounding just the on-field action is very important to get those fans to come.

Within the last week, I have been to home games at BYU, Utah, and Utah State. I miss most of the action on the field in the first quarter of games, because I am too busy checking out the other facilities, seeing how all of the other entertainment involved, seeing how the seating is done, etc.

Utah State had a kid's zone inside the stadium perimeter. It's similar to what I saw Texas State do by having huge inflatable slides, bouncy house, and a petting zoo inside the stadium grounds. Parents can drop off the bored kids, use it basically as babysitting for a quarter, and watch the game while the kids get their value for the ticket since they don't care about the game.

BYU, admittedly a big step up from Marshall, had the best food options I have ever seen in any football game. I can't begin to list all of the options, but one line (for Korean BBQ in a cup) consistently had 50+ people in it throughout the game. One thing I noticed was that both BYU and Utah State have numerous food trucks both inside of the stadium and outside of the stadium. I'm sure they make a cut on all of it, and the food options were extensive.

Utah is a top 10 team, so they are packing the stadium regardless of the extras this year.

Not a single one had any type of commercial for any business. What they did have was events sponsored by a business:

1) A fan was allowed to punt once, throw once, and then attempt a field goal from where the ball was after the punt and pass. If he made it, the entire stadium would get a free haircut from a local business. No commercial but just a brief mention of the business sponsoring it.

2) Another fan was given a 10 yard head start and had to race "Flash" (or some other name ripped off from the Atlanta Braves) to the other end zone. If he won, he received $500.

3) Another fan was given three chances to pass through a tire 10 yards away. For each one he threw through it, he received $100.

4) Another business was promoted by giving away subs which were thrown into the crowd (wrapped). Another business was promoted by giving away humongous pizzas which were put in the student section and filmed as the students tore the pizzas to shreds trying to get a piece.

5) Kiss cam, Lion King Simba cam, dance off cam, etc.

I know that Marshall does a lot of these things, but none of these three schools had any type of 15-30 second commercial on the screen or even announced. They would mix in the sponsor's name during the event which had fans involved and cheering on the participant. It went from cheering in the game to cheering a fan in one of the events to back to cheering in the game. There was no interruption for a 30 second commercial, no down time, etc.

But yes, a family tight with how they are going to spend their entertainment dollars which absolutely be influenced by the ability of the option being fun for all involved.
So your way to refute that a family with a limited income in Huntington that may question spending extra money on a game is to talk about the fact that you to you went to a game at all 3 of the major Utah programs in the same week? Got it. I’m sure you’re more than aware these programs are going to draw attendance regardless of whether or not there’s a bouncy house to send your kids to which you alluded to about Utah. You’re also aware these schools are dealing with a much cushier budget and can afford to pick and chose how they present their advertising and like you said Marshall does many similar fan contests or whatever.

Food options are nice. I’ll give you that but again, not an important factor as far as I’m concerned. The amount of people who would actually decide whether or not they’re attending the game based on it or anything you mentioned is not making a difference in the attendance. We all know the famous quote from the Marshall movie, “Winning is everything and nothing else matters.”

So your way to refute that a family with a limited income in Huntington that may question spending extra money on a game is to talk about the fact that you to you went to a game at all 3 of the major Utah programs in the same week? Got it.

Reading comprehension isn't a strong trait for you, huh?

I refuted your claim that extra entertainment doesn't draw in more people by showing that other schools - schools with bigger names and conferences - spend money on alternative entertainment than just the game. Why do they do that? Because they know it draws more fans.

Why else do you think schools would spend thousands each game on bouncy houses, inflatable slides, petting zoos, bringing in a bunch of other food options, contests, etc.?

Reactions: redsfan5590
So your way to refute that a family with a limited income in Huntington that may question spending extra money on a game is to talk about the fact that you to you went to a game at all 3 of the major Utah programs in the same week? Got it. I’m sure you’re more than aware these programs are going to draw attendance regardless of whether or not there’s a bouncy house to send your kids to which you alluded to about Utah. You’re also aware these schools are dealing with a much cushier budget and can afford to pick and chose how they present their advertising and like you said Marshall does many similar fan contests or whatever.

Food options are nice. I’ll give you that but again, not an important factor as far as I’m concerned. The amount of people who would actually decide whether or not they’re attending the game based on it or anything you mentioned is not making a difference in the attendance. We all know the famous quote from the Marshall movie, “Winning is everything and nothing else matters.”
Winning is important, but it is about entertainment as well. In addition, coordinating the scoreboard, PA announcer, and band does not cost one dollar.

Major college football is about entertainment. This is not 1960. Marshall is competing for people's time and dollars. The family of four can stick the kids in front of the xbox, net flix, movies on demand, or go see a movie. They can hand the kids a $200 tablet(the cost of going to one Marshall football game or close tot it) and not go to the game. There are many distractions now and fighting for that time and dollars. They can buy the $200 tablet rent a movie for a $1.99 and have family night.

Marshall needs to figure it out. Winning is great but that is not the entire compelling reason to go see the game. The kids and family want a memorable experience.

Reactions: HerdJC
Reading comprehension isn't a strong trait for you, huh?

I refuted your claim that extra entertainment doesn't draw in more people by showing that other schools - schools with bigger names and conferences - spend money on alternative entertainment than just the game. Why do they do that? Because they know it draws more fans.

Why else do you think schools would spend thousands each game on bouncy houses, inflatable slides, petting zoos, bringing in a bunch of other food options, contests, etc.?
Reading comprehension? You’re the expert. On a Marshall board talking about how schools who are going to draw attendance regardless of their entertainment options are spending the extra money they have to bring in more fans. More fans. What are we selling? Carnival tickets or football tickets? It doesn’t take a genius to know that Marshall won’t be selling tickets in any significant amount just because they park a food truck and a bouncy house in the stadium. You and redsfan should be the game day coordinators. We’ll have the greatest event this side of the Mississippi. You guys can sell two tickets options. One will be the standard game ticket and the other will just be for all of the fun stuff. The fun ticket doesn’t include access to the game because that’s not important at a football game.

Would you care to discuss why Marshall's design is entirely different from just about every other legitimate stadium, including the two that I posted last week which further proved my point about the popularity of the aspect Marshall is eliminating?

Oh, and here's another complaint for you:

https://marshall.forums.rivals.com/threads/baseball-stadium-sponsorships.45397/

I don't normally talk to the dead but...
Why here? Why bring your gripes to this board? Why not show Hamrick what he is apparently missing out on with the format of other programs using player named lockers?

Has anyone asked those involved in donating what their thoughts on the renderings of the stadium are? Considering some are former MLB players and have played in various venues throughout the country? I imagine they had some input, if not, a chance to voice their opinions on the stadium designs.
Seems like those who really have influence, didn't disapprove of the renderings when they were initially released...and given the time of them being available for the public to see, they weren't altered, which again, could have been if there was enough of an objection to their design.
Then again, any ideas or objections to/for change only exist on here and never seem to find their way to where they should be.

Reactions: bbneutralfan
Winning is important, but it is about entertainment as well. In addition, coordinating the scoreboard, PA announcer, and band does not cost one dollar.

Major college football is about entertainment. This is not 1960. Marshall is competing for people's time and dollars. The family of four can stick the kids in front of the xbox, net flix, movies on demand, or go see a movie. They can hand the kids a $200 tablet(the cost of going to one Marshall football game or close tot it) and not go to the game. There are many distractions now and fighting for that time and dollars. They can buy the $200 tablet rent a movie for a $1.99 and have family night.

Marshall needs to figure it out. Winning is great but that is not the entire compelling reason to go see the game. The kids and family want a memorable experience.
What are your fondest memories at a sporting event outside of spending time with the people you love and the game itself? If you go back and read, I did say I realize atmosphere and entertainment are important.
As for your $200 tablet, cheapest seats are 20 bucks. Throw in food for each family member and parking...well you can do the math and see that you’re quickly approaching that $200 mark. You are absolutely correct that Marshall is competing for people’s time and dollars. Why would I waste either if it weren’t about winning or who they’re playing? There’s a reason the attendance goes up drastically every year when we play the likes of Louisville and Cincinnati and it’s not because of the game day entertainment options. You get the overall point.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
What are your fondest memories at a sporting event outside of spending time with the people you love and the game itself? If you go back and read, I did say I realize atmosphere and entertainment are important.
As for your $200 tablet, cheapest seats are 20 bucks. Throw in food for each family member and parking...well you can do the math and see that you’re quickly approaching that $200 mark. You are absolutely correct that Marshall is competing for people’s time and dollars. Why would I waste either if it weren’t about winning or who they’re playing? There’s a reason the attendance goes up drastically every year when we play the likes of Louisville and Cincinnati and it’s not because of the game day entertainment options. You get the overall point.

When MU has an offense that puts it in the top tier of the NCAA like it was with Cato, people complain MU didn't win the conference enough.
When MU doesn't have the offensive numbers of the 10 win teams but is in position to win the conference, MU'd team isn't "exciting" enough.

Very few programs can make the demands of being both entertaining and winning and actually succeed in doing it.
MU is not one of those teams.

Then again, its a choice of optimism vs. pessimism and we all know how people feel online.

Reactions: WyomingHerdFan
Then, maybe Marshall ought to try to fix the problem. Damn, this is about entertainment and I am old grump conservative fart. Especially in today's world it is vitally important. You are fighting for people's time and money. It is one reason people love WWE. The big time college games are full of entertainment and pagentry. There is a reason the Super Bowl is more than the game.

They could do some little things they don't cost a lot of money. A football game should not be like attending a funeral. Hell, I have been to funeral visitations that are more lively.

Yeah, they could but posting ad nauseam on the subject on these boards isn’t gonna do a damn bit of good.
Obviously the powers that be don’t see an issue, which blows my mind. How they can’t is beyond me. They must have their heads so far up their ass. It’s does need fixed.
It’s about entertainment and people/families having a good experience for the money spent.

Yeah, they could but posting ad nauseam on the subject on these boards isn’t gonna do a damn bit of good.
Obviously the powers that be don’t see an issue, which blows my mind. How they can’t is beyond me. They must have their heads so far up their ass. It’s does need fixed.
It’s about entertainment and people/families having a good experience for the money spent.
That's because they don't care. They have lifer contracts. Basic state worker mentality.

Please tell me where I said everything is great and nothing needs to change? I’ll wait. It’s a football game for crying out loud. I hate to break it to you, but no one is going to the game based on what music is played or how much advertising is done. You know what draws attendance?? Winning! We can also factor in whoever the opponent is. I don’t care if you’re letting off fireworks, have zero advertising, cool music, laser shows and pass out glow sticks to everyone. No one is getting excited about going to see a game against Charlotte or whoever else in CUSA. For crying out loud this is college football. Take care of business on the field then maybe we can worry about putting on your circus going forward. You have to have an interest in the first place. Also the Huntington area is not the most economically well off. You really think if a family has to decide whether or not to spend extra cash on a football game that the tipping point for them is anything besides the team? Hey honey, listen I know cash is tight but the music and lack of advertising at the stadium is worth it!

Why keep wasting your money if the atmosphere is so bad? It seems pretty important to you. There’s a couple of ways you can influence change here, let Hamrick know or stop going to the games. Like you said, you can sit at home and get the same experience you get at the stadium. Maybe if you’re feeling wild you can play whatever music you like while you’re watching. I promise you, I have a lot of great memories attending Marshall games and not one of them includes what music was played or who they recognized as a sponsor.

As for the paint, I’ve never sat and watched a football game on tv or in person where I said man that goal post needs a fresh coat of paint! Would it be a good thing to do? Sure! I’m all for the upkeep of our facilities but I’m not out there nitpicking nonsense that doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of everything. I care about the product on the field. After all, that is the whole purpose of all of this. I’m not an idiot and realize the overall experience and atmosphere is a factor but I refuse to believe it will ever be the deciding factor for the majority of fans. Let’s say you can get everything on your ultimate experience check list. Will it really bring in a significant amount more in attendance? I think you know the answer.

we get it dude, you’re a Marshall super fan who would watch a Marshall sporting event in an empty stadium, on mars, at 3am. You can put it away now man. No one here is measuring up.

But I have a question. Do you believe your average student wants to come to a game where only football is played? Does your average student want to come to the game for the actual game alone?
And then expand that out, instead of just students ask that about your average Huntington resident.

no one is arguing that Winning isn’t a major (if not the main) reason why people come to and enjoy games. But there are other reasons. People in the post are pointing out ways to increase our attendance and make strides for our program. Clearly you aren’t interested in that.

Reactions: JudgeDD
we get it dude, you’re a Marshall super fan who would watch a Marshall sporting event in an empty stadium, on mars, at 3am. You can put it away now man. No one here is measuring up.

But I have a question. Do you believe your average student wants to come to a game where only football is played? Does your average student want to come to the game for the actual game alone?
And then expand that out, instead of just students ask that about your average Huntington resident.

no one is arguing that Winning isn’t a major (if not the main) reason why people come to and enjoy games. But there are other reasons. People in the post are pointing out ways to increase our attendance and make strides for our program. Clearly you aren’t interested in that.

Actually I take it back, you and GoHerdMarshallYes are both super fans. I’m curious which one is more of a super fan. Have you guys had a pissing contest yet?

Actually I take it back, you and GoHerdMarshallYes are both super fans. I’m curious which one is more of a super fan. Have you guys had a pissing contest yet?

Hey reds, opinions are like assholes.....no one on here is qualified to judge the degree to which any of the rest of us love Marshall. I love Marshall - and I ? anyone’s sincerity who ?’s that. You’re no better than anyone else on here. Check that know it all self righteous shit when you log on.....

I believe your average student will take advantage of a free ticket for a couple of reasons. 1. Good weather 2. A name worthy opponent. This also applies to non students. Are there things that can be done to draw in more attendance outside of those games? Sure. Will it ever make a significant impact on attendance? I’m willing to say no. You said it yourself you can watch the games at home. I consider myself a die hard fan, but there are games were I honestly would rather just watch them at home. I’m not overly rearing to go to games with poor weather especially if the opponent is sub par and the game has no real significance. Maybe that makes me a bad fan but I know I can’t be the only one who thinks that way and I also know there’s not a single atmosphere related item that would make me feel differently. That’s my feeling on it. I realize others feel differently.

I’m well aware no one argued the winning aspect of things. That’s my own opinion and I will gladly share it. Does that make me a better fan? No. You may be the biggest Marshall fan on the planet, but that’s not for me to judge through a message board. Me posing a different opinion about your complaints is not me exerting my fan hood on you. I just really can’t understand the complaining about such minor things. We won the game and we’re in the driver seat to go to the conference championship. At what point will you be happy? It seems to me that there is probably always something that you will find to complain about. You’re absolutely entitled to complain as much as you like. I really hope they do improve some of the simple things but at the end of the day I’m just going to be content with enjoying this team and looking forward to the potential successes still to come for them. Even if that means I have to listen to or watch hundreds of ads in the process.

Goherdyes is alright with me. No contests necessary just because someone may not agree with me on everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Reading comprehension? You’re the expert. On a Marshall board talking about how schools who are going to draw attendance regardless of their entertainment options are spending the extra money they have to bring in more fans. More fans. What are we selling? Carnival tickets or football tickets? It doesn’t take a genius to know that Marshall won’t be selling tickets in any significant amount just because they park a food truck and a bouncy house in the stadium. You and redsfan should be the game day coordinators. We’ll have the greatest event this side of the Mississippi. You guys can sell two tickets options. One will be the standard game ticket and the other will just be for all of the fun stuff. The fun ticket doesn’t include access to the game because that’s not important at a football game.

Why was this question so hard for you to answer the first time?

If things like extra entertainment (bouncy houses, inflatable slides, a bunch of food trucks, etc.) don't increase ticket sales, why do so many other programs - programs bigger than Marshall - pay for those things at their games?

This isn't a trick question. I promise the answer is not that hard. Try to answer it this time.

I don't normally talk to the dead but...
Why here? Why bring your gripes to this board? Why not show Hamrick what he is apparently missing out on with the format of other programs using player named lockers?Then again, any ideas or objections to/for change only exist on here and never seem to find their way to where they should be.

According to Coach Stowers, those in Shewey read this board. So there is no need to send daily emails about the many failures of the athletic department (how many conference championship titles over the last decade?). And also according to Coach Stowers, those in Shewey get mad when people with a background and experience on these subjects post opinions disagreeing with what Shewey is doing.

I think a bigger question is what are bouncy houses, petting zoo's, and essentially daycare areas doing at football games to begin with?
If MU ever did that, redsfan would sh*t a chicken on this board posting about what a waste of money it is...and then talk about how mediocre MU is that they gotta bring goats, pigs, and Llamas to the Joan for football games.
The city needs to do more to attract people to show up...but thats not on MU...and its been reported on whats happening with that.

Apparently an 8-1 Louisiana Tech team from CUSA having a good record and good team (criteria that everyone complains about CUSA not having) coming to MU to play what could determine a ton for the season for both teams isn't enough.

This game was pretty much what everyone claims MU and Huntington not only wants, but needs, however...still people found ways to not show up.

Why was this question so hard for you to answer the first time?

If things like extra entertainment (bouncy houses, inflatable slides, a bunch of food trucks, etc.) don't increase ticket sales, why do so many other programs - programs bigger than Marshall - pay for those things at their games?

This isn't a trick question. I promise the answer is not that hard. Try to answer it this time.

According to Coach Stowers, those in Shewey read this board. So there is no need to send daily emails about the many failures of the athletic department (how many conference championship titles over the last decade?). And also according to Coach Stowers, those in Shewey get mad when people with a background and experience on these subjects post opinions disagreeing with what Shewey is doing.
There is no question to answer. You’re deliberately ignoring what I’ve said time and time again. These schools have established fan bases and have something to offer that will draw attendance regardless of what extra amenities they have. I don’t think Utah needed bouncy houses to average over 100% attendance last season. It’s college football. The matchups and traditions sell on top of success. You know what else all of these schools have? Large enrollment numbers and large(r) budgets. Yes, you said you know BYU is on a different level. So you actually do know what I’m saying here. Does it cost a lot to get a bouncy house? Probably not, but I’d love to see a statistic that shows the % increase in ticket sales due to something like that. Yeah I get it, part of the hope behind it is to sell a few more tickets and generate some revenue. Marketing 101. Anyone knows that. I also know you can’t sell amenities without selling the main event. I have yet to see a food truck or a petting zoo for the games where Marshall’s attendance spikes. Why do you think the attendance is spiking for certain games? At Marshall, where according to redsfan is the worst atmosphere you could ask for. Interesting. These programs know they’re not making any significant money from state fair nonsense. School’s all over the country sell package deals where you have to buy a 3 game bundle (or whatever amount of games) if you want to get a ticket to a big game. 2 of the games are perceived that they will be on the lower attendance side because of the opponent or time of year, etc, etc. You know the games you’re going to sell so it only makes sense to throw in the games with it you know you will have trouble selling. They know there’s not a bouncy house, petting zoo or food truck in this world that is going to sell tickets to generate any revenue for those lower tier games. I promise you if BYU comes out today and says no more food trucks, they are going to sell just as many tickets. On the flip side, if Marshall comes out and says we’re proud to announce the BYU food truck convoy will now be located at the Joan every home game, they will sell just as many tickets. I can take my kids to a petting zoo or a bouncy house place for a heck of a lot cheaper than loading them all up along with the wife to go to a football game. However, I have no issues taking them to a game and we all enjoy doing that. If the Texas state fair comes with it great. I’m not buying tickets for any of that. I buy sporting event tickets to watch the event as do most people. I can take my kids to Dave and Busters and sit and watch 20 different games while they go to town on the video games if there’s not enough real appeal to attend a game.

I think a bigger question is what are bouncy houses, petting zoo's, and essentially daycare areas doing at football games to begin with?

I can't dumb it down for you more than I already have. Having other entertainment alternatives for the entire family allows a family the justification to pay for something that the entire family (young children) may not be much of a fan of.

Why do you think MLB stadiums have playgrounds, carnival style games, etc.? It's to attract whole families to come to games which leads to more ticket sales, concessions, souvenirs, etc. On top of that, they know that if they can hook them young, they have a better chance of getting them as lifelong fans.

Why do MLB teams have dog games where people can bring their dogs? Why do they have promotional giveaways? All of these things lead to more fans.

There is no question to answer. You’re deliberately ignoring what I’ve said time and time again. These schools have established fan bases and have something to offer that will draw attendance regardless of what extra amenities they have.

Last year, Utah State averaged 18,717 fans. On Saturday, they had 16,500 at the game.

Marshall draws more fans than Utah State does. So tell us, how does Utah State have an established fan base that will draw attendance regardless of what extra amenities it has compared to Marshall?

See how your claim doesn't make sense?

Then, let's call out the stupidity behind your argument some more. If those teams already have established fan bases that will show up regardless of any extra amenities, and if those extra amenities don't attract more fans, then why the fvck are these schools with athletic budgets in the tens of millions (perhaps over $100 million) spending money on them? These schools have athletic directors making $300,000 - $500,000 to find the best use of their department's money, and you think they are frivolously spending money on extra amenities that don't work to attract more fans and revenue? You realize wifi in stadiums is a huge selling point, right? Why do you think college AND professional venues at all levels have made it such a point to try and get good wifi inside their venues? It's a selling point that has nothing to do with the game, so why spend so much money on something that doesn't lead to increased fans/revenue?

Your claim makes absolutely no sense. You should contact every college athletic director and every president of a professional sports team to let them know that amenities are a waste of their money.

Meanwhile in the fan-free league, USF has an idea. Students get points, kind of like S&H Green Stamps, for actually going to games.

http://usfbullstix.com/students/perksprogram.aspx

Grand prize is a Ford SUV.

USF has over 50,000 students and is in a metro area of over 3 million people. It has averaged 30,000 empties per football game this year. It averaged 7,000 empties per basketball game last year. Meaning that of the 50,000 students who could get in free, to an all chairback pro stadium in year round perfect weather, 99% could not care less about the whole proposition.

We didn't have petting zoos and merry-go-rounds back when my old man took me to sporting events. Wasn't too many games we ever missed. We actually attended the games to watch the games. Why the hell would my old man want to sit with a few young rednecks out in the petting zoo during all the action? He wouldn't.

Why can't some people be happy just to attend a football game, or a basketball game? Or, even a baseball game at a brand spanking new stadium? Why do you have to have a spot where the coeds can sunbathe?

Some are simply reserved to bitch and complain.

Reactions: The Real SamC
We didn't have petting zoos and merry-go-rounds back when my old man took me to sporting events. Wasn't too many games we ever missed. We actually attended the games to watch the games. Why the hell would my old man want to sit with a few young rednecks out in the petting zoo during all the action? He wouldn't.

Why can't some people be happy just to attend a football game, or a basketball game? Or, even a baseball game at a brand spanking new stadium? Why do you have to have a spot where the coeds can sunbathe?

Some are simply reserved to bitch and complain.

I can't imagine being a kid to some of these people...acting less like a parent and more like a drunk uncle at Thanksgiving...talking down about everything at every moment they can.

Nothing wrong with singing our Alma Mater. It's a link to our past. We sang it at Fairfield.

Many schools sing it after the game, win or lose.

I like the tune and lyrics. It touches my heart.

I wish a faculty member from the School of Music would lead it.
I mean it’s always conducted by the band directors, who work for the school of music, not the athletic department.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT