ADVERTISEMENT

Atmosphere

Hey reds, opinions are like assholes.....no one on here is qualified to judge the degree to which any of the rest of us love Marshall. I love Marshall - and I ? anyone’s sincerity who ?’s that. You’re no better than anyone else on here. Check that know it all self righteous shit when you log on.....

Lol have you read any of Wyoming or GoHerdMarshallYes’s posts?

We didn't have petting zoos and merry-go-rounds back when my old man took me to sporting events. Wasn't too many games we ever missed. We actually attended the games to watch the games. Why the hell would my old man want to sit with a few young rednecks out in the petting zoo during all the action? He wouldn't.

Why can't some people be happy just to attend a football game, or a basketball game? Or, even a baseball game at a brand spanking new stadium? Why do you have to have a spot where the coeds can sunbathe?

Some are simply reserved to bitch and complain.

Times have changed. Let’s be the best athletic department we can be.

Times have changed. Let’s be the best athletic department we can be.
times may have changed, but being the best athletic department means winning on the scoreboard. nobody gives a shit if little Ricky had fun over at swimming pool. lace them up, and play football. that's what guys want to see. Who the hell wants to bring all those brats to every game with them anyways? They should stay home with the old lady and watch the game on TV facebook.

Reactions: The Real SamC
times may have changed, but being the best athletic department means winning on the scoreboard. nobody gives a shit if little Ricky had fun over at swimming pool. lace them up, and play football. that's what guys want to see. Who the hell wants to bring all those brats to every game with them anyways? They should stay home with the old lady and watch the game on TV facebook.

Ok.

Well...MU didn't paint the goal posts (a donation of goal post paint would help but we all know he won't do it) so MU is bound for mediocrity.

Lol have you read any of Wyoming or GoHerdMarshallYes’s posts?

The difference is, you're nitpicking for anything negative.
Most of whats been brought up has been discussed to the point that many have become desensitized to them even being problematic.
You also don't seem wanting to bring any positive ideas or thoughts because what you believe you've seen, is forever going to be and won't change.

You supposedly want MU to be as amazing as it can be...but because one aspect of something isn't to your liking, you quit on MU.

Its amazing...people think MU has all this money to just throw around to make sure the wooden bleachers don't have spots on them...any spots...anywhere ever.
Yet when MU does spend money, they complain at how its being spent.

Reactions: The Real SamC
I can't dumb it down for you more than I already have. Having other entertainment alternatives for the entire family allows a family the justification to pay for something that the entire family (young children) may not be much of a fan of.

Why do you think MLB stadiums have playgrounds, carnival style games, etc.? It's to attract whole families to come to games which leads to more ticket sales, concessions, souvenirs, etc. On top of that, they know that if they can hook them young, they have a better chance of getting them as lifelong fans.

Why do MLB teams have dog games where people can bring their dogs? Why do they have promotional giveaways? All of these things lead to more fans.

Last year, Utah State averaged 18,717 fans. On Saturday, they had 16,500 at the game.

Marshall draws more fans than Utah State does. So tell us, how does Utah State have an established fan base that will draw attendance regardless of what extra amenities it has compared to Marshall?

See how your claim doesn't make sense?

Then, let's call out the stupidity behind your argument some more. If those teams already have established fan bases that will show up regardless of any extra amenities, and if those extra amenities don't attract more fans, then why the fvck are these schools with athletic budgets in the tens of millions (perhaps over $100 million) spending money on them? These schools have athletic directors making $300,000 - $500,000 to find the best use of their department's money, and you think they are frivolously spending money on extra amenities that don't work to attract more fans and revenue? You realize wifi in stadiums is a huge selling point, right? Why do you think college AND professional venues at all levels have made it such a point to try and get good wifi inside their venues? It's a selling point that has nothing to do with the game, so why spend so much money on something that doesn't lead to increased fans/revenue?

Your claim makes absolutely no sense. You should contact every college athletic director and every president of a professional sports team to let them know that amenities are a waste of their money.

It’s funny you called me out for reading comprehension. You are incredibly selective. I stated and acknowledged that the intent of these things are to generate a few more ticket sales and some more revenue. I disagreed with the amount it actually generates but I never said the intent of it was anything else. I think it’s great to give people some options. Not for me, but what doesn’t work for me may work for the next person. That’s not the point. Ok now that we’ve cleared that up...

You’re asking why do professional baseball teams have extra stuff?? That’s your comparison? Hmmm. A Major League Baseball team’s marketing budget vs Marshall University’s football marketing budget. Let’s see 81 games to sell vs 5-6. 1 pm start time on a Thursday afternoon vs 12 noon or 7 pm (insert any time) on a Saturday. Plus have you ever sat down and watched a baseball game? Little different pace going on compared to football. Show me a typical regular season baseball game that can draw attendance based on the matchup alone. Outside of weekend games and some weekday for a few teams in major market cities you’re lucky to get half the stadium full even with all of the extra crap. But I agree 110% that they would be stupid not to make it a dog and pony show. Take those fans you get and keep them spending money and in the stadium. The thing is though baseball is all that they do. It is their business. Someone has to pay for those $300 million contracts. College football is going to generate a ton of money for a lot of schools, but we know it’s not their entire business. Life goes on in the academia world regardless of whether or not the football team sells tickets. There’s plenty of great major league stadiums out there who have awesome amenities but you’re still looking out into a nearly empty stadium if the team is garbage because most people actually care about the product on the field. Why are these teams giving out $300 million contracts? They want the best product on the field because at the end of the day, no matter what, the only thing that sells tickets in any significant amount and keeps people coming back is winning.

On to Utah State. You are well aware their stadium’s capacity is 25,000. 72% filled for the season is pretty damn good. I get that Utah State is the little brother of the other 2 but they’re not in bad shape for attendance relative to their stadium capacity. You will never convince me that any significant amount of that percentage is due to food and bouncy houses or whatever else you want to carry on about that you saw at all 3 Utah games in one week. Also, I’m aware WiFi is a nice selling point. I also know that the technology behind a lot of those set ups just isn’t there yet to make it worth even connecting to in the first place. I’m not being ignorant and saying every situation is that way but networking infrastructure is a tricky thing and very costly. I’m going to guess the places who have the set ups worth connecting to as far as speed is concerned are the places that are selling out every game anyway. Plus you add in the privacy factor of connecting to a public network. People are becoming increasingly more aware of this. However, there’s always going to be those who don’t care or don’t know. Tech guys gotta stay in business some how. I just don’t see it as a tipping point for someone to want to go to a game or to spend money for someone else to go to a game.

It’s funny that you’re continuing to not say anything about the attendance spike Marshall sees for certain games. Every single year it’s the same thing. There’s one sometimes two opponents who roll into town that draws interest and leads to ticket sells. Then without failure sales are down immediately after. Ok great so how do we solve that? We could add a petting zoo. Sure. Let’s see we brought in about 20 people who specifically wanted to show up for the petting zoo. Alright so we have to add other things to get people to show up in your scenario and it’s the same thing. You look out and still see a half empty stadium. Would it hurt to try? No but come on. Be serious here. Marshall is going to struggle to sell tickets against Rice or whoever else in conference in the middle of October, maybe even before. Why would they waste money on stuff that will not make a dent in the overall picture? As for the big schools with the big budgets, what’s the one theme amongst the majority of them that they have in common? They’re selling tickets to every game no matter what. They’re on a level where they’re talking about raising ticket prices because the demand is so high. What’s one way they do that? By adding all of this extra crap you mention. That’s the level at which this stuff makes a real difference. The concept of which you’re speaking of, spend money to make it is great until you’ve spent it and don’t make it back.

Marshall is up against it here. Huntington is an economically depressed area, they play in a garbage conference and the team doesn’t always play at the level to gets everyone excited. You cannot deny that people won’t even waste their time to even start considering what extra stuff the stadium has if they have no interest in going to the event that gives life to the extra stuff in the first place. In order to be moved to the other side of the fence you have to have climbed up it to begin with. Clearly we’ll never agree and that’s ok. I appreciate a good debate and someone who sticks to their guns. I don’t have to agree with everything someone says nor do I expect them to agree with everything I say. I get your overall point. Give people more options and it will lead to more money generated. I just don’t see it as being a significant factor in college football. When it’s all said done whether we agree or disagree we’re both here for the same reason and that’s because we’re Herd fans. I can’t be mad about that. Looking forward to more spirited debates down the road my friend.

It’s funny you called me out for reading comprehension. You are incredibly selective. I stated and acknowledged that the intent of these things are to generate a few more ticket sales and some more revenue. I disagreed with the amount it actually generates but I never said the intent of it was anything else. I think it’s great to give people some options.

So you're telling all of these successful athletic directors and all of these professional sports presidents that they are wrong, that their amenities don't generate a significant enough ticket increase to continue paying for those amenities, and you base that on what? List your resume of working in high-level college athletics on the administrative side. How about your experience working in a senior position with entertainment/ticket sales.

Your opinion is that all of these organizations - far successful in their fields than you - are wrong and wasting money even though they have numbers over many years to justify their spending on these amenities. Their actions are based on concrete evidence and facts gathered over many years. Your opinion is based on what?

You’re asking why do professional baseball teams have extra stuff?? That’s your comparison? Hmmm. A Major League Baseball team’s marketing budget vs Marshall University’s football marketing budget. Let’s see 81 games to sell vs 5-6. 1 pm start time on a Thursday afternoon vs 12 noon or 7 pm (insert any time) on a Saturday. Plus have you ever sat down and watched a baseball game? Little different pace going on compared to football. Show me a typical regular season baseball game that can draw attendance based on the matchup alone. Outside of weekend games and some weekday for a few teams in major market cities you’re lucky to get half the stadium full even with all of the extra crap. But I agree 110% that they would be stupid not to make it a dog and pony show. Take those fans you get and keep them spending money and in the stadium. The thing is though baseball is all that they do. It is their business. Someone has to pay for those $300 million contracts. College football is going to generate a ton of money for a lot of schools, but we know it’s not their entire business. Life goes on in the academia world regardless of whether or not the football team sells tickets. There’s plenty of great major league stadiums out there who have awesome amenities but you’re still looking out into a nearly empty stadium if the team is garbage because most people actually care about the product on the field. Why are these teams giving out $300 million contracts? They want the best product on the field because at the end of the day, no matter what, the only thing that sells tickets in any significant amount and keeps people coming back is winning.

You must not be familiar with minor league baseball, minor league hockey, arena football, etc. Those are all professional sports leagues, and all of them have a huge list of alternative entertainment/amenities for the fans . . . why? It isn't to pay for their $300 million contracts. Let me guess - all of those organizations are also wrong just like the colleges, right?

On to Utah State. You are well aware their stadium’s capacity is 25,000. 72% filled for the season is pretty damn good. I get that Utah State is the little brother of the other 2 but they’re not in bad shape for attendance relative to their stadium capacity. You will never convince me that any significant amount of that percentage is due to food and bouncy houses or whatever else you want to carry on about that you saw at all 3 Utah games in one week. Also, I’m aware WiFi is a nice selling point. I also know that the technology behind a lot of those set ups just isn’t there yet to make it worth even connecting to in the first place. I’m not being ignorant and saying every situation is that way but networking infrastructure is a tricky thing and very costly. I’m going to guess the places who have the set ups worth connecting to as far as speed is concerned are the places that are selling out every game anyway. Plus you add in the privacy factor of connecting to a public network. People are becoming increasingly more aware of this. However, there’s always going to be those who don’t care or don’t know. Tech guys gotta stay in business some how. I just don’t see it as a tipping point for someone to want to go to a game or to spend money for someone else to go to a game.

Attendance ratio compared with capacity has absolutely no relevance to this discussion or to why I mentioned that Utah State had lower attendance than Marshall. My comment was to show that you're wrong, again, by claiming that all of those programs were far bigger programs with better interest/attendance.

I have no idea what the rent is on a bouncy house for a few hours, but I'm guessing $600. If you can get 5 families (20 people) to come out to a game because of that, you're making your money back from just those 5 families. You're also getting an opportunity to win them back and become more loyal fans. But again, every college athletic administrator is wrong, every professional front office employee is wrong, and you're right.

We could add a petting zoo. Sure. Let’s see we brought in about 20 people who specifically wanted to show up for the petting zoo.

You're missing the point. The point isn't that a huge number of people buy tickets to the game just because of the amenities. People aren't paying $100 for a family of four to just go to the petting zoo at the stadium. The people are paying $100 to go to the game knowing that the children won't be bored and whining to go home after one hour, that the parents won't get annoyed listening to the children all game since they dropped them at the petting zoo for an hour during the game, etc.

Nobody is going to the game to use the wifi. They can use the wifi in many other places for free. But people deciding on whether or not they go to a game is based on how much enjoyment they have at the game. Amenities make the game more enjoyable which is what leads to people wanting to come back.

If you force people to stand for 3.5 hours during a game, I'm guessing a lot of people won't return. But if you provide them a comfortable and wide seat with a seat back, they are more likely to return for another game. Are they returning to another game just to use the seat? No. They are returning to watch the game, because it was enjoyable with the comfortable seat. That's how this works.

As for the big schools with the big budgets, what’s the one theme amongst the majority of them that they have in common? They’re selling tickets to every game no matter what.

Clearly, you are out of tune with what is going on in college football attendance. Hell, Saban has been railing against his students for years due to them not showing up and not staying all game when they do show up. Want to know why they leave? It's hot, they don't have wifi, etc. Amenities can solve a lot of that stuff which gets them there and keeps them there. Other forms of entertainment and contests gets them to stay.

I have to be totally upfront and honest here. Never did I ever imagine I would witness a forum poster write more words on an internet message board post than rifle.

This is one helluva country we have here folks. God bless America.

Reactions: i am herdman
So you're telling all of these successful athletic directors and all of these professional sports presidents that they are wrong, that their amenities don't generate a significant enough ticket increase to continue paying for those amenities, and you base that on what? List your resume of working in high-level college athletics on the administrative side. How about your experience working in a senior position with entertainment/ticket sales.

Your opinion is that all of these organizations - far successful in their fields than you - are wrong and wasting money even though they have numbers over many years to justify their spending on these amenities. Their actions are based on concrete evidence and facts gathered over many years. Your opinion is based on what?

You must not be familiar with minor league baseball, minor league hockey, arena football, etc. Those are all professional sports leagues, and all of them have a huge list of alternative entertainment/amenities for the fans . . . why? It isn't to pay for their $300 million contracts. Let me guess - all of those organizations are also wrong just like the colleges, right?

Attendance ratio compared with capacity has absolutely no relevance to this discussion or to why I mentioned that Utah State had lower attendance than Marshall. My comment was to show that you're wrong, again, by claiming that all of those programs were far bigger programs with better interest/attendance.

I have no idea what the rent is on a bouncy house for a few hours, but I'm guessing $600. If you can get 5 families (20 people) to come out to a game because of that, you're making your money back from just those 5 families. You're also getting an opportunity to win them back and become more loyal fans. But again, every college athletic administrator is wrong, every professional front office employee is wrong, and you're right.

You're missing the point. The point isn't that a huge number of people buy tickets to the game just because of the amenities. People aren't paying $100 for a family of four to just go to the petting zoo at the stadium. The people are paying $100 to go to the game knowing that the children won't be bored and whining to go home after one hour, that the parents won't get annoyed listening to the children all game since they dropped them at the petting zoo for an hour during the game, etc.

Nobody is going to the game to use the wifi. They can use the wifi in many other places for free. But people deciding on whether or not they go to a game is based on how much enjoyment they have at the game. Amenities make the game more enjoyable which is what leads to people wanting to come back.

If you force people to stand for 3.5 hours during a game, I'm guessing a lot of people won't return. But if you provide them a comfortable and wide seat with a seat back, they are more likely to return for another game. Are they returning to another game just to use the seat? No. They are returning to watch the game, because it was enjoyable with the comfortable seat. That's how this works.

Clearly, you are out of tune with what is going on in college football attendance. Hell, Saban has been railing against his students for years due to them not showing up and not staying all game when they do show up. Want to know why they leave? It's hot, they don't have wifi, etc. Amenities can solve a lot of that stuff which gets them there and keeps them there. Other forms of entertainment and contests gets them to stay.

Rifle, buddy, you’re just either not reading or making things up to fit your argument. See below in reference to MLB teams:

But I agree 110% that they would be stupid not to make it a dog and pony show. Take those fans you get and keep them spending money and in the stadium.

You know whether or not I have any experience in the athletic department world has nothing to do with posting on a fan message board. I could not care less about what people on here do or don’t do for a living. If I wanted a professional opinion I for damn sure wouldn’t be using yahoo rivals message boards.

You’re like Jean-Ralphio and Tom Haverford from Parks and Rec running their business Entertainment 720. They weren’t selling jack, but man did they have the coolest workspace in the entire industry. It’s really simple here and this is what you’re missing. There’s two types of different programs being discussed. Those who sell tickets and those who do not. Those who sell 9/10 are selling them regardless of what’s going on in the concourses. Those who don’t sell aren’t selling regardless of what is going in on the concourses. I’m not paying a premium to sit in the seats so high up that I need a seat belt to not fall to my death at Bryant-Denny because my kids may or may not be bored. Speaking of Bama, Saban rants about students not staying. They’re not struggling to get them in the door. You know what Bama’s solution is? A loyalty point based program that gives students access to future events depending on how long they stay in the stadium. The technology utilizes an app and devices in the stadium to monitor this. They’re saying you have the chance to go to the Auburn game if you stay in the stadium against whoever else. So clearly all of the great stuff going on besides the game isn’t keeping them in the stadium when they’re winning 45-0 going into halftime. These are the people you’re talking about who spend big bucks on the other crap besides the game. They’re incentivizing people with other games. Oh and by the way, people complain about how small the seats at Bama are constantly but keep coming back.

The events sell period. But I’m out of touch with college football so what do I know.

Most of whats been brought up has been discussed to the point that many have become desensitized to them even being problematic.
You also don't seem wanting to bring any positive ideas or thoughts because what you believe you've seen, is forever going to be and won't change.

You supposedly want MU to be as amazing as it can be...but because one aspect of something isn't to your liking, you quit on MU.

Its amazing...people think MU has all this money to just throw around to make sure the wooden bleachers don't have spots on them...any spots...anywhere ever.
Hey now, he wants the goal posts painted! That’s positive! You start to wonder why these people still attend the games. When does it end? You could add everything they wanted and then they would take a look around and find something else to complain about. This is today’s generation. Sports aren’t about the teams I guess. In the freakin driver seat for a conference championship and we’re over here talking about how the music isn’t what I want, the goal posts aren’t painted to my liking, too many ads and whatever else. I never thought I could miss the Doc sucks threads but this nonsense is getting me there.

Hey now, he wants the goal posts painted! That’s positive! You start to wonder why these people still attend the games. When does it end? You could add everything they wanted and then they would take a look around and find something else to complain about. This is today’s generation. Sports aren’t about the teams I guess. In the freakin driver seat for a conference championship and we’re over here talking about how the music isn’t what I want, the goal posts aren’t painted to my liking, too many ads and whatever else. I never thought I could miss the Doc sucks threads but this nonsense is getting me there.
Hey Wyoming: I’ve been where you are. I ignored Rifle about 3 months ago. Let it go and hit ignore. You will never get satisfaction from this, and frankly I’m not even reading what the 2 of you are typing.
Glad you’re here! Go Herd....

Hey Wyoming: I’ve been where you are. I ignored Rifle about 3 months ago. Let it go and hit ignore. You will never get satisfaction from this, and frankly I’m not even reading what the 2 of you are typing.
Glad you’re here! Go Herd....
I picked up on that pretty quickly. And I don’t blame you for not reading them. Rifle isn’t either. Glad to be here brother!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I picked up on that pretty quickly. And I don’t blame you for not reading them. Rifle isn’t either. Glad to be here brother!

Oh, I read them. It's just that you're arguing both sides, going in circles, then making an illogical conclusion.

You've claimed that the extras and amenities don't draw [substantial] additional fans, then you turn around and claim that you would absolutely make events a dog and pony show. Why? Because you know it draws substantial additional fans.

You claim that schools like Alabama don't have to have additional entertainment options since they draw well already. Then, you turn around and discuss methods they are using to keep fans at the game longer while ignoring the top programs that continue to lose attendance each year.

Lol asking for an exciting atmosphere and music/band/pa to all be on the same stage is nitpicking now.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Lol asking for an exciting atmosphere and music/band/pa to all be on the same stage is nitpicking now.

I agree on the band and PA. They definitely need to be more coordinated.
The "We are...Marshall" chant needs to have its own time to be done and done at basically the same time each game.
It used to be done that way...at the 10:00 mark of the 2nd quarter. What happened to that, I don't know.
Now, there's music being played over the PA and the band plays...no cue to maybe STFU during the chant.
It also needs to never have any sort of advertising or band playing while its happening...maybe the PA just to announce the play and next set of downs, etc but thats it.
No band. No music. No advertising during that time. It should have its own time done too, so coordination is easier to do.

The band director and PA announcer aren't very well coordinated and I would say they really need to do better with communication and I doubt they are radioed to one another.
I'm not in either department so unless someone can contact what can realistically be done, not sure what solutions are out there.

The band has to respond more spontaneously, you can't predict a 1st down, when the ball will be snapped, a sack, INT, etc, so everything has to respond and it, at times, is just confusing and a cluster.
I am sure there are required advertisements that have to be said at some point during the game since the businesses bought the time. Perhaps this can be moved or shifted.
The biggest issue is the PA MUST say a certain amount of commercial advertising because thats paid for by businesses.
He also has to announce the plays and progress of the team whenever the play happens.

So basically, the PA is advertising the whole time, the band is playing based on what happens on the field, and the crowd is expected to be tuned into all of this, along with the play in general.

I don't disgaree with you in the general consensus that the gameday atmosphere can improve, but again, I'd rather the PA and band just know when to talk/play in a more organized manner.
When that happens, MU fans can nitpick the bleacher stains, the crappers (which are a flatscreen TV from having people being in there over than in the stands in the frigid cold wind because the bathrooms are very well heated), goalposts, rap music, and little things.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
It’s obvious the people at MU don’t see the issues or fail to acknowledge them. It’s an embarrassing thing to witness and very annoying.
The arrogance that comes from the Schewey and those in charge makes me angry and laugh at the same time. With a little thought and effort, the game day experience could be turned 180. Its more than a football game these days and they have to recognize that. They’ll never win awards for organization and marketing, that’s for damn sure.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
I am not sure about the price. But, I think people don't go because they are finding other things to do with their time and money. That is usually what happens. It is about where people decided to spend their discretionary income and their valuable time.

I know we paid $70($35 a ticket) to sit in some pretty good seats.

I also know right now I can go buy $10 tickets to see NC State vs Georgia Tech as well. $15 will put me on the lower level. Source Vivid Seats. Using this for comparison.

$35 for tickets in Huntington WV seems a little high for the area and CUSA football. Not for me, as I don't care I drove in to see a game. But, it seems a little steep for some folks. I can see that angle.

Within a short drive of me, I have these options:

ACC football program, cheapest single game ticket all season went for $15 face value.
SEC football program, cheapest single game ticket all season face value: $30.
BIG TEN program, cheapest single game ticket all season, face value: $20.

I can buy a face value ticket of $50 for Michigan at Indiana this weekend. One of the greatest programs in history.

Marshall? $20 face value for Conference USA, MU vs Whothefvckever. Charlotte this weekend. Most of us have dogs older than the Charlotte football program. Hell, twice as old.

I can see that angle as well.

It sounds like you may be better suited to attend a minor league baseball game where all they care about is fan experience because they know the product on the field alone is not worth showing up for. Does the atmosphere add to the overall experience? Sure, I guess, but I’m there to watch football

That's the kind of attitude that gets a program taking a can of beans for admission.

There is not a single successful program in the nation that is selling just football.

And all people are really asking for here is for the athletic department to get its shit together. Is that too much to ask?

Can you imagine if you were at an Ohio State game, they are about to dot the I, and the announcer starts talking about the goddamn Ohio Lottery?

We didn't have petting zoos and merry-go-rounds back when my old man took me to sporting events. Wasn't too many games we ever missed. We actually attended the games to watch the games. Why the hell would my old man want to sit with a few young rednecks out in the petting zoo during all the action? He wouldn't.

Why can't some people be happy just to attend a football game, or a basketball game? Or, even a baseball game at a brand spanking new stadium? Why do you have to have a spot where the coeds can sunbathe?

Some are simply reserved to bitch and complain.

And all we had was four stations on TV to compete with. Shitty little TV's at that. Maybe Atari. I was hot shit, I had my own 13' color TV and an Atari.

It's a different world today. Adjust or get left behind. And all people really want is for the athletic department to get its head out of its ass, that's not asking much...although a co-ed petting zoo would be nice.

Reactions: i am herdman
ACC football program
SEC football program
BIG TEN program

All of those leagues get $500 for every 5 cents TV money CUSA gets. And all four are places where football is a huge #2 to basketball.

And, you are talking about Louisville, which isn’t even the most popular team in its own town (Big Blue is), Kentucky (where you damn sure can’t get a basketball ticket for that), and either Indiana or Purdue, which like most Big 10 bottom feeders, have big old stadiums that they rarely fill except for the once every decade they only semi-suck instead of suck suck suck, unless they can sell the tickets to the opposing team’s fans, who often outnumber their own. And when does basketball start?

MU has to pay the freight some way. The tickets cost what they cost.

That's the kind of attitude that gets a program taking a can of beans for admission.

So you agree that “open the doors and get butts in the seats” is dumb. You are right.

There is not a single successful program in the nation that is selling just football.

Of course there are. Does Ohio State have a hell of a band? Yes. Does it have a nice scoreboard? Yes. Clean s***ers? Probably (never been there). And 100% of the people there are there to watch Ohio State football. Same at Michigan, even Michigan State and Wisconsin. Same at Nebraska. Same at Texas and Oklahoma. Same everywhere among the majority of teams in the Southeastern Conference, save maybe only UK and Vandy.

Where exactly is the water slide at Jordan-Hare? Where is the bouncy house at Kyle Field?

Can you imagine if you were at an Ohio State game, they are about to dot the I, and the announcer starts talking about the goddamn Ohio Lottery?

Or if Ohio State sold its basketball arena naming rights to a welfare furniture store? Oh, right.

It's a different world today. Adjust or get left behind. And all people really want is for the athletic department to get its head out of its ass, that's not asking much...

And that is the deal. You are right that college football, live, is and should be an event. This isn’t minor league baseball. We don’t need petting zoos, loop tee loops, bouncy houses, beer gardens, sunbathing locations, or any other crap. That is for baseball, not football.

And, having added a new scoreboard (another new one on the way in two years) that is as nice as any at the level; beer, and, hopefully soon, taking over the ACF lot for another proper university owned tailgate lot, I think they are doing just fine.

I made this point in a previous thread and I'll throw it in again here.

Though my experience isn't limited to just two college programs, it is on those two that I make most of my comparisons. Penn State and Marshall are not the same. Different levels of play, athletic budgets, facilities, recruits, national exposure, historical success, fan bases, etc... But I think it's fair to make the fan-experience comparison by scale. Marshall cannot be expected to match PSU in attendance or dollars, and I realize this impacts how Marshall may need to insert advertising into the gameday routine. But there is just so much missing from the fan experience that could be addressed. Certainly the sheer numbers in attendance at a Penn State game have an influence on the energy in the stadium. But smaller stadiums, like The Joan, can amplify the crowd and make it sound nearly as loud. So, it isn't the simply the difference in attendance that makes the Penn State experience so much better.

I've said this before: when I attend a Penn State game, I feel as though I'm watching along with 110k+ fans. At Marshall, I feel like I'm practically alone among 25k. It is by design that PSU makes me feel so into things. The band, the cheerleaders, the music that's played...all play a role. There is coordination. A plan. I know when a cheer is coming, and what my part will be. I know when a song is played - by the band or over the speakers - and I know all the calls and answers, all the words. And it all rides on the student section.

None of this takes any money at all. It takes a willingness to coordinate, to make a plan to educate, and then inspire. It can't happen over night. Traditions and routines take time to spread across a stadium. But I've seen new chants and cheers implemented by the Penn State student section specifically for that week's opponent. Word of mouth, text chains...I don't know how they do it. But they are all together from the start, and the rest of the stadium is quick to follow.

Those who say the most important thing is who we play and winning games...well, they're right. But if you've never been to a stadium like Penn State (I know PSU isn't the only one, just the one I'm most familiar with) then you don't know what you're missing. And if you have been a part of one of those special places, then you will always find the Marshall gameday experience somewhat lacking and disappointing, win or lose.

Jordan Haire Stadium prior to a game. Yep, just a football game. NOT! I have been to the Alabama vs Auburn game there and at Alabama. It is one big party and the pageantry and fan experience in the SEC is incredible. The whole thing is a big party and show. It is all orchestrated and when the damn band is playing the band is playing. When the guy is talking on the PA the guy is talking on the PA.

Tiger_Walk_UGA.JPG

And all people are really asking for here is for the athletic department to get its shit together. Is that too much to ask?

OMG! I laughed so hard at that last statement. That is priceless.

Alabama fan experience. Nope no theatrics or show here. Come on , Sam. It is a damn party, light show , and hell of a good time. Check out the 1:00 mark.

All of those leagues get $500 for every 5 cents TV money CUSA gets. And all four are places where football is a huge #2 to basketball.

And, you are talking about Louisville, which isn’t even the most popular team in its own town (Big Blue is), Kentucky (where you damn sure can’t get a basketball ticket for that), and either Indiana or Purdue, which like most Big 10 bottom feeders, have big old stadiums that they rarely fill except for the once every decade they only semi-suck instead of suck suck suck, unless they can sell the tickets to the opposing team’s fans, who often outnumber their own. And when does basketball start?

So you agree that “open the doors and get butts in the seats” is dumb. You are right.

Of course there are. Does Ohio State have a hell of a band? Yes. Does it have a nice scoreboard? Yes. Clean s***ers? Probably (never been there). And 100% of the people there are there to watch Ohio State football. Same at Michigan, even Michigan State and Wisconsin. Same at Nebraska. Same at Texas and Oklahoma. Same everywhere among the majority of teams in the Southeastern Conference, save maybe only UK and Vandy.

Where exactly is the water slide at Jordan-Hare? Where is the bouncy house at Kyle Field?

Or if Ohio State sold its basketball arena naming rights to a welfare furniture store? Oh, right.

And that is the deal. You are right that college football, live, is and should be an event. This isn’t minor league baseball. We don’t need petting zoos, loop tee loops, bouncy houses, beer gardens, sunbathing locations, or any other crap. That is for baseball, not football.

And, having added a new scoreboard (another new one on the way in two years) that is as nice as any at the level; beer, and, hopefully soon, taking over the ACF lot for another proper university owned tailgate lot, I think they are doing just fine.

Hell of a band. YES

Nice scoreboard. YES

Clean restrooms. YES very nice restrooms I’ll probably use one or more Saturday. I’ll let you know.

100% there to see the football. NO

I will estimate 5-10% of the crowd are there primarily for the TBDBITL.
There is always 30-40k “fans” roaming outside the stadium during games.
Most all are just there for the party, football is not really their motivation.

I get the essence of your post and I agree with much of it.

I've said this before: when I attend a Penn State game, I feel as though I'm watching along with 110k+ fans. At Marshall, I feel like I'm practically alone among 25k. It is by design that PSU makes me feel so into things.

Problem is...apparently the OP wasn't there to watch the football game (sad too, cause he missed some good plays and MU dominating). He was there to nitpick and complain the bricks didn't look a certain color.
Remember, this is a guy who said MU is bound for mediocrity since their plans for a stadium weee released.
So Penn Staye would even make him depressed...if he was seeking to find errors in what they do up there.
I understand the ENTIRE gameday experience needs an overhaul, but the reason we are there, the football team, is overlooked.
Seems when the team wins, there's something wrong with the environment they're in.
It once more springs up the debate on whether people want a team to win or "to be entertained."

All of those leagues get $500 for every 5 cents TV money CUSA gets.

Tough shit. Has nothing to do with the athletic department getting its shit together.

And all four are places where football is a huge #2 to basketball.

Yet all have their largest crowds for a quality opponent...I wonder if that is something in common with MU? MU's attendance problems are not against quality opponents, it is against Shithole North South West @ Some City. If $15 lets me watch an ACC team beat the shit out of Murray State, $15 should let me see Marshall beat the shit out of No Name U.

And, you are talking about Louisville, which isn’t even the most popular team in its own town (Big Blue is)

We have discussed before how wrong you are on this. It's not worth debating again.

either Indiana or Purdue

If you can't figure out which one I live nearest to, based on how close I am to Louisville and Lexington, you must be an idiot.

Empty seats raise $0. If by Wednesday evening we know single game sales are a stinker, it's time for a flash sale.

Where did I say free? You are dumb.

And 100% of the people there are there to watch Ohio State football.

And they would have a riot if they didn't dot the I one game. People expect a certain experience.

Did they announce that while a 3 on 1 fast break was going down? No? I guess they have their shit together.

We don’t need petting zoos, loop tee loops, bouncy houses, beer gardens, sunbathing locations, or any other crap.

I see most everyone asking for having our shit together. Although a party/lounge area is a big seller these days...you been to a Dallas Cowboys home game recently?

I remember how hard it was for fans to get on board with MU wearing black for a single game.
I remember how several fans pessimistically objected to the idea of striping the stadium.

If MU struggles to do this because fans are afraid to change...what makes anyone think a total change to atmosphere is going to work?

Anything MU tries to do to improve itself in some way, is overhwelmingly met with complaining.
I get some perpetual complainers exist, but they just can't accept it and move on...they simply refuse to allow anything to happen...there are also a substantially larger amount of them at MU than elsewhere.

Alabama fan experience. Nope no theatrics or show here. Come on , Sam. It is a damn party, light show , and hell of a good time. Check out the 1:00 mark.

It's my life, oh so right, my BROUGHT TO YOU BY BIG BILL HELL'S CHEVROLET, HOME OF CHALLENGE PISSING!

This is quite seriously what we do at our games.

It's my life, oh so right, my BROUGHT TO YOU BY BIG BILL HELL'S CHEVROLET, HOME OF CHALLENGE PISSING!

This is quite seriously what we do at our games.
I know I went the other night. Damn PA guy was over talking the bad and the flow of the crowd and game was all messed up.

It is really weird to be honest. It is like the band is in a pissing contest with the PA guy and we have to have all these damn ads all the time.

I am surprised Hamrick is not selling sacks or big defenstive hits.This big sack was brought to you by Champman's Mortuary. Herd's sacks 'em and we rack 'em, Chapman's Mortuary!

Jerry Jones figured out the game day experience with the Cowboys as someone mentioned. He has the team walk through the restaurant. Pass me the ribs, holy shit here comes Zeke Elliot. High five, man!

Jerry might be a little off around draft day, but he knows how make some $$$$ and make it a damn party.

If $15 lets me watch an ACC team beat the shit out of Murray State, $15 should let me see Marshall beat the shit out of No Name U.

If MU charged $15/game, MU football would cease to exist, that simple.

Pay the freight or don’t come.

We have discussed before how wrong you are on this. It's not worth debating again.

Big Blue is 100-0 in every county of Kentucky save Jefferson. It is only 60-40 there.

Empty seats raise $0. If by Wednesday evening we know single game sales are a stinker, it's time for a flash sale.

And people would buy tickets on Tuesday, or season ticket months in advance, knowing they would be on sale on Wednesday exactly why?

Did they announce that while a 3 on 1 fast break was going down? No? I guess they have their shit together.

Umm, they painted on the court in big orange and black letters.

I see most everyone asking...

Although a party/lounge area is a big seller these days...you been to a Dallas Cowboys home game recently?

What I see people most asking for is to get in free or nearly free and mostly bitching about the band or the pissers or whatever, since the team is doing fine.

As to the party room, you mean like the Big Green Room? Which has been there since day one.

Of course you have to PAY THE FREIGHT to get in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT