ADVERTISEMENT

Atmosphere

If MU charged $15/game, MU football would cease to exist, that simple.

For the cheap seats? GTFO. It's a $5 difference.

And people would buy tickets on Tuesday, or season ticket months in advance, knowing they would be on sale on Wednesday exactly why?

I dunno, for good seats?

Umm, they painted on the court in big orange and black letters.

During a game? Impressive!

As to the party room, you mean like the Big Green Room? Which has been there since day one.

No, you big dummy. Not a stuffy fat-cat room or suite. I used the Cowboys as an example; they always had fat-cat rooms and suites, now they also cater to the average Joe that wants to get shitfaced and not pay fat-cat bucks. Here is what the Cowboys do. For someone that thinks they know it all about sports, you sure don't know much or haven't been anywhere.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/tickets/standing-room-only-faq

Would a SRO party deck ticket work at MU? I don't know. Would a party deck included in the admission price of all tickets be popular? Bet your ass it would be. It is popular every place that tries it. Would that make the athletic department get their shit together? No. But you brought it up as something dumb, so that needed refuted.

College football and pro football are totally different in marketing terms.

So cut ticket prices, don’t like “fat cats”. Thanks Bernie.

College football and pro football are totally different in marketing terms.

That's great. Want me to start a list of the colleges with party decks or SRO areas? Because I would really hate to start that list with....UCF. Yeah, those fvckers are actually marketing their games as an event!

728627_dsc06239_huge.jpg

Thanks Bernie.

Thanks for admitting you are losing this debate.

Marshall needs coordination. It is a stale atmosphere and the PA guy is talking over the band and such. They need to liven it up a bit.

Not asking for much.

Exactly.

Give me a million bucks, and yeah I'd say use it to build amenities.

Give me $50k a year and use of a new Kia from Dutch Miller and I'd come back and fix this simple shit myself. And a moat with alligators around my house to keep the dopers out. Seriously, how hard is it to coordinate stuff?

I am surprised Hamrick is not selling sacks or big defenstive hits.This big sack was brought to you by Champman's Mortuary. Herd's sacks 'em and we rack 'em, Chapman's Mortuary!

MU sells the Red Zone...brought to you by Dutch Miller.

That brings me to ask...how much does someone like Dutch Miller pay for advertising at MU games?

Does anyone know how much is charged for an advertisement at MU in general?

Reactions: The Real SamC
As I understand it, Learfield/IMG provides the scoreboard and other such things for all MU venues, and then recoups its money via selling all in stadium ads. At the end of the term, which I want to say is 7 years, MU has the choice of trading in the scoreboard for the next generation or taking over the ad revenue, it always has taken the new scoreboard. As I understand it, this is the common throughout college sports.

Radio is similar, Learfield/IMG pays MU $$ and then tries to make money off it from selling the ads. TV under the “Herd Vision” deal that show up on WVAH 11.2 locally and STIRR channel or Pluto nationally, are the same deal. Games on ESPN+ or broadcast channels via the conference.

I have no idea what Learfield/IMG charges for an ad, nor how much it is relative to other places. I would guess we are in the top 5 in the conference, some of these programs have fan bases you could count on two hands.

Learfield/IMG is obligated to buy a number of billboard ads for games as a part of the contract. The billboard company then “donates” unsold billboards to the Big Green for the same ads and takes it off their taxes.

It is good to know that in a 18th largest market (3.8 M) in the country, the largest w/o pro football, a 68,000 student body playing an athletic fee that yields $23,392,000/year, and still has a 45% subsidy rate in a place without cold weather has an outdoor party deck. I’m surprised they even charge admission. This fact’s application to MU? Pretty much none.

And still, the last time this program was uncompetitive, winning less than 8 games, it played before an average of 14,000 empties. And that does not count the student section, as they reserve twice as many seats as we do in a not that much bigger stadium for students. Wow, UCF, which charges $99 for season tickets, has a party deck. Good to know.

Exactly.

Give me a million bucks, and yeah I'd say use it to build amenities.

Give me $50k a year and use of a new Kia from Dutch Miller and I'd come back and fix this simple shit myself. And a moat with alligators around my house to keep the dopers out. Seriously, how hard is it to coordinate stuff?
I guess it is very hard. I think there must be some kind of pissing contest going between the band and the PA guy.

I have no idea what Learfield/IMG charges for an ad, nor how much it is relative to other places. I would guess we are in the top 5 in the conference, some of these programs have fan bases you could count on two hands.
------------------------------

Thank you for providing evidence that Marshall has advantages over many of its conference peers.

Thank you for providing evidence that Marshall has advantages over many of its conference peers.

No question of that. Which is why our wonderful football coach has kept us competitive in every season, save one, since he got his own recruits in here; our wonderful AD has built more (with less) than any other AD in the same period; and why we should demand more of out of our underperforming basketball program.

You are welcome.

No question of that. Which is why our wonderful football coach has kept us competitive in every season, save one, since he got his own recruits in here; our wonderful AD has built more (with less) than any other AD in the same period; and why we should demand more of out of our underperforming basketball program.

You are welcome.

You use the term "underperforming" for the basketball program. Underperforming using what standard? Doc & Dan have the same number of conference titles, same ( I believe) # of conference title appearances since each arrived at MU. But Doc is in his 10th season, Dan in only his 6th. Wouldn't Dan have to be given the benefit of 4 more years before making an apples to apples comparison? Also, Dan & the guys qualified for the NCAA tourney and won a game for the 1st time in Marshall's entire history in that tournament. Sam, you are a strong, vocal supporter of Doc, maybe the most loyal of any on this board. Given the above facts, how can you continue to praise Doc for his successes and at the same time trash Dan for his lack thereof? Seems illogical...……

btw - with the remodeling of Gullickson into a single purpose basketball practice facility (guys and gals), I believe we can agree that our AD continues to excel in advocating for & building high quality improvements for the 2 major sports at MU.

Also, Dan has shown more consistent improvement in the W-L column than Doc......

Well there are some on here, not you, who live to bash Doc, despite his success, and bash Mike, more than anything because he won’t fire Doc, lately combined with his apparent ignoring of the vast unwashed thousands who would attend the games if only the tickets were less expensive (MEMO: you could let people in free and the live gate would be about the same.). One common theme of this unhappy crew is a just plain wrong CUSA football hatred.

Now, to me, this year 1-3 is “underperforming”. Last year 11-7 in conference, 50 point beatdowns, and 19-14 before this rando whatever tournament is “underperforming”. We should EXPECT to be at the TOP of this conference EVERY YEAR, and EXPECT to win it at least once every third or fourth year. A third of it doesn’t even make an effort at basketball.

What you perceive as “bashing” DD is actually just a lack of DD worship.

Well there are some on here, not you, who live to bash Doc, despite his success, and bash Mike, more than anything because he won’t fire Doc, lately combined with his apparent ignoring of the vast unwashed thousands who would attend the games if only the tickets were less expensive (MEMO: you could let people in free and the live gate would be about the same.). One common theme of this unhappy crew is a just plain wrong CUSA football hatred.

Now, to me, this year 1-3 is “underperforming”. Last year 11-7 in conference, 50 point beatdowns, and 19-14 before this rando whatever tournament is “underperforming”. We should EXPECT to be at the TOP of this conference EVERY YEAR, and EXPECT to win it at least once every third or fourth year. A third of it doesn’t even make an effort at basketball.

Its all about perceptions.
I said Dan is basically the same as Doc in terms of coaching accomplishments.
At this rate, Dan is due for a 2016 football season type of record for himself.
Doc loses to MTSU early in the season and everyone wants him fired.
People aren't convinced the wins are legitimate, find excuses to complain, and discount anything the team does in terms of positivity.

2 years after Doc won CUSA, he was on the chopping block to being fired...Akron was a sure indicator that sh*t was about to hit the fan...and that was early on.
2 years after Dan wins CUSA, he's already lost 2 very winnable games and has had some very questionable gameplans.
But its "Oh, Dan will get it together. I am a little disappointed but I trust my Dan Dan!!!"

I like both coaches but both need to be held to the same expectations and criticisms of their fanbases, especially given what they have shown they can produce.
If the basketball season continues like it has, I fully expect Jim Justice to make a statement saying that MU should make efforts to improve its basketball program and replace its head coach.

I agree on the band and PA. They definitely need to be more coordinated.
The "We are...Marshall" chant needs to have its own time to be done and done at basically the same time each game.
It used to be done that way...at the 10:00 mark of the 2nd quarter. What happened to that, I don't know.
Now, there's music being played over the PA and the band plays...no cue to maybe STFU during the chant.
It also needs to never have any sort of advertising or band playing while its happening...maybe the PA just to announce the play and next set of downs, etc but thats it.
No band. No music. No advertising during that time. It should have its own time done too, so coordination is easier to do.

The band director and PA announcer aren't very well coordinated and I would say they really need to do better with communication and I doubt they are radioed to one another.
I'm not in either department so unless someone can contact what can realistically be done, not sure what solutions are out there.

The band has to respond more spontaneously, you can't predict a 1st down, when the ball will be snapped, a sack, INT, etc, so everything has to respond and it, at times, is just confusing and a cluster.
I am sure there are required advertisements that have to be said at some point during the game since the businesses bought the time. Perhaps this can be moved or shifted.
The biggest issue is the PA MUST say a certain amount of commercial advertising because thats paid for by businesses.
He also has to announce the plays and progress of the team whenever the play happens.

So basically, the PA is advertising the whole time, the band is playing based on what happens on the field, and the crowd is expected to be tuned into all of this, along with the play in general.

I don't disgaree with you in the general consensus that the gameday atmosphere can improve, but again, I'd rather the PA and band just know when to talk/play in a more organized manner.
When that happens, MU fans can nitpick the bleacher stains, the crappers (which are a flatscreen TV from having people being in there over than in the stands in the frigid cold wind because the bathrooms are very well heated), goalposts, rap music, and little things.

you essentially took my OP then reworded it. Said you agreed with me. Then tried to insult me over something I said last year. Congratulations you are the worst.

…………..one thing you & I part company on: So what if for FIU, and realizing that we NEVER draw well the Saturday after T-giving, we did let H.S. kids and veterans in for free with I.D. You are saying we wouldn't gain any revenue, since they are not paying to get in. I say they will spend $$ while they are inside, and maybe because of the opportunity to watch the game will be more inclined to pay to see one next year. No agreement sought, just $$$ for thought....

Also: (basketball) You say we are "in" the season. I say that, based on what you have always stated about our "one bid" conference, every game before conference games is just a prelude, since we aren't trying for an at-large bid anyway...…..

And what would you call starting out 2-3, with one of those wins against an FCS team, one of the losses by about 30 points, and a second loss to a conference team that we never should have lost to? I know you won't call it underperforming. That's only reserved for Dan and the bball team. Is a 30 point bball victory tonight good enough for you? Shouldn't the football team be at the top of this for s..t conference and winning it more than once in 10 years? Talk about double standards!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
realizing that we NEVER draw well the Saturday after T-giving...

You contradict yourself. It is the date, not the $$. You could let everybody who has a birth certificate in free and the # of people at the game WOULD NOT CHANGE. Not only the Thanksgiving game, but any game. Price is not a barrier to attending MU sports.

Find me the people who don’t have $20 to go to a football game (but surprisingly have plenty of money for $6 beers and $10 popcorn) and you would have an argument. You cannot because they simply do not exist.

And, you do realize that students get in “free” right? Soooooooooooooo how come they don’t come?

Shouldn't the football team be at the top of this for s..t conference

And that is your problem. You fail to understand CUSA. You have AAC envy. If the conference is “s***” then why do you care about it? NOTHING, literally NOTHING, Doc can do will please you.

CUSA is not the SEC. But it is one of the 10 I-A conferences. Every team is in CUSA because they are trying to play football on the same level. That is what CUSA 3.0 was founded upon. Football. Trying to play FOOTBALL at the same level. Now, as in most any conference, there are programs that probably are kidding themselves, lacking one or more resources to really make it. Probably should reassess what they are doing. MU is not one of those. The important thing to remember is that basketball, and everything else was brought along for the ride. CUSA 3.0 is made up of programs with vastly different levels of basketball interest, commitment, and funding. All of the teams are not on the same level and don’t want to be on the same level. Is it a “s***” conference? NO. If I thought it was, I would not care. What it is is a conference where about 1/3 does not try and 1/3 cannot compete. MU is in the upper 3rd, and NOTHING less than being AT LEAST in that upper third can EVER be acceptable.

I get it. MU sports are NOT FOR YOU. Nothing that happens will suit. Wal-Mart fandom awaits. Personally, I would go with the Buckeyes, but it is up to you.

psssst........hey ......Sam......over here........inside tip........ready?.......for the FIU game?.......the students won’t be in town.....

You contradict yourself. It is the date, not the $$. You could let everybody who has a birth certificate in free and the # of people at the game WOULD NOT CHANGE. Not only the Thanksgiving game, but any game. Price is not a barrier to attending MU sports.

Find me the people who don’t have $20 to go to a football game (but surprisingly have plenty of money for $6 beers and $10 popcorn) and you would have an argument. You cannot because they simply do not exist.

And, you do realize that students get in “free” right? Soooooooooooooo how come they don’t come?

And that is your problem. You fail to understand CUSA. You have AAC envy. If the conference is “s***” then why do you care about it? NOTHING, literally NOTHING, Doc can do will please you.

CUSA is not the SEC. But it is one of the 10 I-A conferences. Every team is in CUSA because they are trying to play football on the same level. That is what CUSA 3.0 was founded upon. Football. Trying to play FOOTBALL at the same level. Now, as in most any conference, there are programs that probably are kidding themselves, lacking one or more resources to really make it. Probably should reassess what they are doing. MU is not one of those. The important thing to remember is that basketball, and everything else was brought along for the ride. CUSA 3.0 is made up of programs with vastly different levels of basketball interest, commitment, and funding. All of the teams are not on the same level and don’t want to be on the same level. Is it a “s***” conference? NO. If I thought it was, I would not care. What it is is a conference where about 1/3 does not try and 1/3 cannot compete. MU is in the upper 3rd, and NOTHING less than being AT LEAST in that upper third can EVER be acceptable.

I get it. MU sports are NOT FOR YOU. Nothing that happens will suit. Wal-Mart fandom awaits. Personally, I would go with the Buckeyes, but it is up to you.
Lest you make any assumptions, I do not have AAC envy. We would surely get reamed repeatedly in that conference. What I do have is Marshall Pride. My blood runs green. Always has, always will. And my fandom cannot be found at Wal-Mart or Sam's. They don't carry Green gear at my local stores.

psssst........hey ......Sam......over here........inside tip........ready?.......for the FIU game?.......the students won’t be in town.....

Really? So the near majority of the students who are classified as “commuters” will be where exactly? And I-64 will be closed at which point to prevent the majority of the remainder who live in the nearby counties from attending?

We aren’t WVU, whose students have all gone back to New Jersey or whatever other s***hole yankee state they are from for Thanksgiving, and thus have played before more empties than we have seats on several Thanksgivings.

Try again.

Really? So the near majority of the students who are classified as “commuters” will be where exactly? And I-64 will be closed at which point to prevent the majority of the remainder who live in the nearby counties from attending?

We aren’t WVU, whose students have all gone back to New Jersey or whatever other s***hole yankee state they are from for Thanksgiving, and thus have played before more empties than we have seats on several Thanksgivings.

Try again.
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh………………….not on campus? Really Sam...……...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT