ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING Charlotte Game Cancelled

I stay in contact with four different coaches that have coached under Doc and have nothing but tremendous things to say about him.

They have such tremendous things to say that they jumped ship for things like off-the-field positions, go to inferior schools, etc.

You realize that when you make these comments, there is no legitimacy behind them based on your previous claims and your previous attempts to cover things up, right, Shewey sucker? Hell, just look at your defense of Shewey when numerous, highly decorated past Marshall players spoke out against the current coaching/administration.

I always find it funny we'll quote players that have negative opinions of the staff, but then ignore the players that have nothing but good to say..

Feel free to list all of those quotes. We will be standing by.

Where was Cato being critical? That facebook post? The way I read it, it came off supportive. I didn't think he was saying he should have been pulled at OHIO and Doc let him fail. I thought he was saying Doc will stick with you and let you play through it.

In other words, as he said, "once Doc makes his mind up" . . . he will refuse to make a change even if it's obvious, because that would be proof that he was wrong about it originally.

It's no different than an office. Some employees like their boss and some hate their boss. Not all coworkers get a long either. I find it funny that people just throw logic out the window and demand/assume that in a locker room of 150 people that everyone is going to be best friends.

Sure, but there is far more smoke coming out of Shewey over the years than most places, especially most places that have been winning the majority of that time. Marshall's most decorated players have been shunned and had numerous discussion on here about it, many of Doc's most highly rated recruits have spoken out about him, many other Marshall players under his tenure have done the same, and many other former coaches under Doc have spoken out against him to people on this board or have left for inferior positions.

Reactions: HerdFan73
They have such tremendous things to say that they jumped ship for things like off-the-field positions, go to inferior schools, etc.

Two of the coaches I speak to are now at P5 programs (having left Marshall for those positions). Another coach is now in the NFL (having left Marshall for a P5 position prior to joining the NFL). And the fourth coach made a choice based off what he believed to be in his best interest at the time, but he did not want to leave Marshall. He's now in the NFL as well. So....I guess think what you will.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33

You realize that when you make these comments, there is no legitimacy behind them based on your previous claims and your previous attempts to cover things up, right, Shewey sucker? Hell, just look at your defense of Shewey when numerous, highly decorated past Marshall players spoke out against the current coaching/administration.

Feel free to list all of those quotes. We will be standing by.

In other words, as he said, "once Doc makes his mind up" . . . he will refuse to make a change even if it's obvious, because that would be proof that he was wrong about it originally.

Sure, but there is far more smoke coming out of Shewey over the years than most places, especially most places that have been winning the majority of that time. Marshall's most decorated players have been shunned and had numerous discussion on here about it, many of Doc's most highly rated recruits have spoken out about him, many other Marshall players under his tenure have done the same, and many other former coaches under Doc have spoken out against him to people on this board or have left for inferior positions.
DJ Hunter and Alex Bazzie just did a 30 minute live podcast after the Rice game being in support of the team the staff and talked about how much they enjoyed their time here.

You don't get a lot of quotes from players that enjoyed themselves. You only get players with an axe to grind lighting up social media which is true about most things. This board is a good example. Not a lot of thread being made when we were winning and some of the game threads were downright sad for a top25 team that was undefeated. Then as soon as we lose a game all hell breaks loose with multiple threads filled with multiple pages.

Two of the coaches I speak to are now at P5 programs (having left Marshall for those positions).

One of them having left for an off-field position at that P5. That's a step down in prestige and isn't even a coaching position.

Why do you not stay in contact with the coaches who left who don't like Doc, other than the obvious reason of one of them?

And you keep avoiding what should be a very easy answer without having to divulge any breaking or top-secret news that would devalue the Old Faithful board: If Covid isn't an issue and if Marshall didn't have many injured players after Saturday, how does the team not have enough healthy players just a few days later to play a game this week?

DJ Hunter and Alex Bazzie just did a 30 minute live podcast after the Rice game being in support of the team the staff and talked about how much they enjoyed their time here.

You don't get a lot of quotes from players that enjoyed themselves. You only get players with an axe to grind lighting up social media which is true about most things. This board is a good example. Not a lot of thread being made when we were winning and some of the game threads were downright sad for a top25 team that was undefeated. Then as soon as we lose a game all hell breaks loose with multiple threads filled with multiple pages.

Agreed. The controversial ones always get more traction. The point is that there seems to be far more of those controversial/dissatisfied ones coming out of Marshall than most places, and that's even more true for programs that tend to win more than lose.

Losing this game in the manner we did, to the opponent we did, with the team we have, deserves to have all hell break loose with multiple threads with multiple pages .

I’d imagine there’s no denying there are a small few who truly don’t want to see the program succeed, or at least don’t care.

But I speak out because I give a shit, I want my program to come close to fulfilling its potential. And right now it just isn’t.

And i will post pretty consistently but there’s no doubt that my posting picks up after a bad loss. A. Because that is human nature, negative emotions will drive more action than positive ones. B. I feel compelled to share my two cents and call it as I see it, and add to the voice of the dissenters so they don’t get shamed out and buried by the moderators and super fans. When things are good I’m more likely to throw likes on positive takes or opinions that I agree with and not waste everyone’s time being the 15th person in a thread stating the obvious that “Grant wells played well” or something similar.

It’s obvious someone inside the AD reads this board and has a vested interest in what is said here or the board insiders wouldn’t be so reticent to share their information. The AD needs to know there is a LARGE contingent of fans that are unhappy with the state of the program. You would think only having about 1,000 people at the last home game last year would have sent that point, but that seems to be largely forgotten. Which brings me to my last point...

WINNING FIXES EVERYTHING. So far this year, a lot of our past failings had been forgotten because we were winning convincingly, we looked prepared, and we looked like we stood out among this shit conference as we should expect to.

And then to come out and have one of the more monumentally poor performances in the last 40 years of the program during a clinch game? (For the 2nd year in a row) Then to leave the game with a seemingly mostly healthy team and then 3 days later all of the sudden we can’t FIELD a team to play a game and it’s not really COVID related (a fact that people keep glossing over). I don’t want to be a part of a program where people don’t give enough of a shit to ask “How the hell did this past week happen!?!”

One of them having left for an off-field position at that P5. That's a step down in prestige and isn't even a coaching position.

Why do you not stay in contact with the coaches who left who don't like Doc, other than the obvious reason of one of them?

And you keep avoiding what should be a very easy answer without having to divulge any breaking or top-secret news that would devalue the Old Faithful board: If Covid isn't an issue and if Marshall didn't have many injured players after Saturday, how does the team not have enough healthy players just a few days later to play a game this week?

Agreed. The controversial ones always get more traction. The point is that there seems to be far more of those controversial/dissatisfied ones coming out of Marshall than most places, and that's even more true for programs that tend to win more than lose.
To be honest I think it's more against the admin than the coaching staff because it does go back a ways. There was talk like this before Hamrick and Doc got here. I don't think there's any question that Marshall is bush league in a lot of areas it shouldn't be.

My only contention with this thread is that it is an incident that happened before the game and we never heard about it and now that we lost it comes out from someone that never posts on this board.

I'm sure there was a fight. I don't think it's as big a deal as it's being made out to be. Far worse things happened when Pruett was HC and no one complained then and they still romanticize about his tenure as HC.

The bottom line with Doc is that he doesn't have the hardware that Pruett had. If he did no one would care. I think it's probably time we get a new HC, but I worry that we're going to look for the hometown discount and get someone no different or worse than Doc. It's not Marshall's MO to do a legit coaching search and hire the best available candidate.

I think another fair question is, why are former players terrible sources of information not to be believed , but we take former coaches at face value?

The coaches are the ones with a career to protect. I’m not going to go to a job interview and blast a former employer, no matter how much I hate their guts.

What would a former coach stand to to gain by speaking Ill off their prior employer to someone who is quasi-media with a public forum, and who is essentially an extension of said former employees ‘communications department ?

Last edited:
It's no different than an office. Some employees like their boss and some hate their boss. Not all coworkers get a long either. I find it funny that people just throw logic out the window and demand/assume that in a locker room of 150 people that everyone is going to be best friends.
Especially in a room full of alpha males, egos, pride, etc. They can work together for the common good but it doesn’t have to mean they will be best friends for life. Lol.

Hell, they could have been razzing each other and slap boxing for the hell of it. Some people driving by would never know the difference

I think another fair question is, why are former players terrible sources of information not to be believed , but we take former coaches at face value?

The coaches are the ones with a career to protect. I’m not going to go to a job interview and blast a former employer, no matter how much I hate their guts.

What would a former coach stand to to gain by speaking Ill off their prior employer to someone who is quasi-media with a public forum, and who is essentially an extension of said former employees ‘communications department ?
That’s another great question. But like all the other questions that had merit but weren’t easy for the Shewey suckers to answer...this one will probably not get a response either. But hey at least you can look forward to getting a meme or gif back instead!

That’s another great question. But like all the other questions that had merit but weren’t easy for the Shewey suckers to answer...this one will probably not get a response either. But hey at least you can look forward to getting a meme or gif back instead!
I hope you get some answers, because I too am interested in knowing what transpired. They keep claiming you didn't show up until after a loss, but they're missing the point that you showed up after this week's game was just cancelled a few days back, and the excuses provided simply don't add up. Either there's much more to the story, or MH and Doc took a powder and were good with backing into the title game. Neither is good.

I hope you get some answers, because I too am interested in knowing what transpired. They keep claiming you didn't show up until after a loss, but they're missing the point that you showed up after this week's game was just cancelled a few days back, and the excuses provided simply don't add up. Either there's much more to the story, or MH and Doc took a powder and were good with backing into the title game. Neither is good.

Correct. My first post since the season started came on Wednesday after the cancellation announcement and subsequent quotes to the media made by Hamrick. If this was about the loss I would have posted Saturday or Sunday.

Correct. If you are potentially exposed you don’t automatically quarantine for 14 days, you take a test at the next interval and if you pass you’re cleared.
If you are exposed to someone that tested positive - you quarantine for 14 days - it Doesnt matter if you are neg. you don’t test again until the next testing period off of quarantine

Why do y’all feel you deserve answers about what players had Covid or were contact traced and quarantined. 1st of all it’s a HIPPA violation and all COVID positives are reported to the county Not CUSA or the NCAA. It’s confidential and the program died t have to report squat to you or anyone else. You have no idea what this team has had to do to make this run - enjoy and stop bitching about some BS that happened 7 years ago.

Reactions: marshallsig
Warning: Proceed if you only want to read me ramble on about things that probably sound incoherent at 8am in the morning:

Dipped out of this thread for a bit. Which I tend to do when Riflearm gets involved.

Why?

Because I get genuinely disappointed in him. He is better than that. Being a former athlete, coach, etc. Knowing what goes on in lockerooms. Knowing how it feels when those things get out to the public. And yet still here talking the way he does. Right or wrong, and he is probably right a heckuva lot more than being wrong, but being right, doesnt make it right. It makes it very hypocritical, and for that, I get disappointed. Like watching a son grow up over the years, I have to love him, but that doesnt mean Im always happy with him.

Anyway, as for the other questions from the other poster. Again, whats the point. There are other places on the interwebs where you can go and join in a negative cesspool. You like to bring it here and stir others up. Well done, you win.

I would never give an answer that you desire, to someone I dont like. Sorry, Im human. I have some of the answers for you, and who knows, maybe some are what you seek, but you will never get em.

Good luck!

And oh, we are playing for a championship game. Backed in to it? So disappointing in that verbiage Rifle. 8 games in, best record in the conference. Its a "four quarter game," If you win the first three quarters, then you can lose the fourth quarter and still win the game.

GO HERD!!!

Get your tickets.

Last edited:
This thread is 100 percent pathetic. Started by the original guy who doesn’t say a word until Marshall loses. To all the people trying to rip on their own team because of how the season played out.

My reputation is to degrade all fake fans. So I realize my opinion means nothing.

But good Lord.

Some of you guys are flat out pathetic. Always looking at the negative.

Tyler King gets suspended as you say and we report an injury. Saving his career and not killing his already spoiled reputation and Marshall is the bad guy. Are you serious. Think about what you are saying for a minute. We did good on the kid. So what if Johnny fake fan didn’t know why he was out.

And you want a list of every injured or sick player because “everyone else does it”. Really. Where? And make sure you don’t send gambling sites links for every team. That doesn’t work.

IF a brawl happened. And IF said brawl resulted in no one getting hurt. Why would a Marshall fan run to a site and try to “expose” it.

The answer.

simple

You aren’t a fan.

So great job to the original poster. You riled up a fickle “fan” base. A “what have you done for me lately” fan base.

I couldn’t give a crap if every single one of them threw punches at each other.

A 7-1 football team and you treat them like this.

Oh well. Carry on with your ignorance. Right or wrong, doesn’t matter. Posting like this in the first place is disgusting and pathetic.

Superfan much?

Nope, just a fan. An actual one. Really is no difference in a super fan and a fan. You are either a fan, or not.

There are fans and then there are delusional fans who habitually hate on those fans who call things out for what is plain sight. Those fans who refuse to see or say anything negative about the state of affairs in a program are Superfans, which category of fandom do you identify with?

Reactions: HerdFan73
No, there are fans, and there are people like you.

One is a fan, one isnt.

Like me? Who was right about Snyder from day 1 and was criticized for openly stating it on this forum until he was fired. Also, like me who can see that Doc has done literally nothing in his decade long tenure here outside of one 1 conference title, and we WERE the lone marquee name in this conference. We’ve underachieved under him, plain and simple and a loss of it happens Friday night is the nail in the coffin on his career here, or at least it should be. Now, that doesn’t mean I’m not cheering us on, that doesn’t mean I’m not hosting a watch party at my house. That just means I’m not kissing his ass if he loses or I’ll bite my tounge and not criticize him either.

All this when the answer is obvious. We ducked the game because we had no reason to play it. Doc was afraid to lose.

Why do y’all feel you deserve answers about what players had Covid or were contact traced and quarantined.

Nobody is saying we deserve that, moron. Why do you throw straw men out there? The fans didn't ask who/if players had Covid. Shewey volunteered that info by saying the quitting wasn't due to Covid related issues.

1st of all it’s a HIPPA violation

No, it's not. You have no idea what you're talking about.

You have no idea what this team has had to do to make this run -

I have an idea.

They had to beat the 184th ranked team, the 91st ranked team, the 60th ranked team, the 116th ranked team, the 110th ranked team, the 106th ranked team, the 224th ranked team, the 133rd ranked team, and then had to lose to the 112th ranked team and then hide from the 138th ranked team.

The ranking of their average win is 128th. There are only 130 FBS teams.

Congratulations, Herd?

Dipped out of this thread for a bit. Which I tend to do when Riflearm gets involved.

Why?

Because I get genuinely disappointed in him. He is better than that. Being a former athlete, coach, etc. Knowing what goes on in lockerooms. Knowing how it feels when those things get out to the public. And yet still here talking the way he does. Right or wrong, and he is probably right a heckuva lot more than being wrong, but being right, doesnt make it right. It makes it very hypocritical, and for that, I get disappointed. Like watching a son grow up over the years, I have to love him, but that doesnt mean Im always happy with him.

Basically, you're admitting that the quitting was due to something else than just non-Covid related injuries. Thanks for being the lone half-honest Shewey sucker on here.

But let me make sure I get this straight:

- Shit happens within the program, which is on John's shoulders.
- Marshall, claiming to do it "for them" and knowing their fans just want to see them play, holds up a giant middle-finger to "them" and doesn't care about the fans, evidenced by quitting their game
- Instead of being honest or creating a better worded release, Shewey lies to the fans about the reason they are quitting. Instead of a giant middle-finger to the fans, it's a two-handed giant middle-finger.

Yet I am the one who disappoints you for calling out Shewey for taking Marshall fans for granted, for lying to them, for claiming they do it for "one town" and "for them," and for quitting and being cowardly? Your dismay seems to be completely directed to the wrong party here.

You're like the wife who is getting physically abused by her husband who gets mad at the neighbor for calling the police in an attempt to help save her life.

It's like a gnat buzzing around your head.......you can hear it but barely. It's irritating but in the grand scheme inconsequential. You should all consider reading "Greenlights" (M McC) ...excellent read!!

It's like a gnat buzzing around your head.......you can hear it but barely. It's irritating but in the grand scheme nonconsequential.

Either you lied about putting me on ignore or you missed me so much that you couldn't stand missing what I have to say.

You should all consider reading "Greenlights" (M McC) ...excellent read!!

Political post. Everyone knows that the actor who was arrested for playing the bongs with another guy, while both were naked and alone on his couch smoking weed, released that very politically motivated book. Those type of posts are as much out of place here as the big mud hole in your front yard is.

All this when the answer is obvious. We ducked the game because we had no reason to play it. Doc was afraid to lose.

There were some other factors influencing the cancellation of the Charlotte game but the ease of cancelling games this year definitely gave Hamrick and Doc the ability to duck out of that game. Either way...the reason they gave to the media was a flat out lie.

Why do y’all feel you deserve answers about what players had Covid or were contact traced and quarantined. 1st of all it’s a HIPPA violation and all COVID positives are reported to the county Not CUSA or the NCAA. It’s confidential and the program died t have to report squat to you or anyone else. You have no idea what this team has had to do to make this run - enjoy and stop bitching about some BS that happened 7 years ago.

How many times does it have to be said... The reason for cancelling the game was NOT COVID RELATED. It came straight from the athletic directors mouth!!!

Why are there so many people on this board that try to argue and dispute facts without knowing the context of their argument?

How many times does it have to be said... The reason for cancelling the game was NOT COVID RELATED. It came straight from the athletic directors mouth!!!

Why are there so many people on this board that try to argue and dispute facts without knowing the context of their argument?
I think most are embarrassed by backing into a championship game. Granted, FAU lost, but maybe they lost because they already knew they had nothing to play for, once Marshall AD & Staff took a powder.

To be honest I think it's more against the admin than the coaching staff because it does go back a ways. There was talk like this before Hamrick and Doc got here. I don't think there's any question that Marshall is bush league in a lot of areas it shouldn't be.

My only contention with this thread is that it is an incident that happened before the game and we never heard about it and now that we lost it comes out from someone that never posts on this board.

I'm sure there was a fight. I don't think it's as big a deal as it's being made out to be. Far worse things happened when Pruett was HC and no one complained then and they still romanticize about his tenure as HC.

The bottom line with Doc is that he doesn't have the hardware that Pruett had. If he did no one would care. I think it's probably time we get a new HC, but I worry that we're going to look for the hometown discount and get someone no different or worse than Doc. It's not Marshall's MO to do a legit coaching search and hire the best available candidate.
Your last sentence says it all. Sad but very true.

You are allowed to pose questions directly to Rifle.
No need to ask rifle a question. He's just like everybody else. He doesn't have any idea why the game was cancelled, other than what was stated. If someone makes a statement, he just likes to throw shit up against the wall and hope some of it sticks.

I think most are embarrassed by backing into a championship game. Granted, FAU lost, but maybe they lost because they already knew they had nothing to play for, once Marshall AD & Staff took a powder.
Why then did Clemson and ND have their games cancelled last week? So they could be assured there would be no upset to either one, thus guaranteeing a huge television audience in the ACC CCG. It's all about the Benjamins.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Why then did Clemson and ND have their games cancelled last week? So they could be assured there would be no upset to either one, thus guaranteeing a huge television audience in the ACC CCG. It's all about the Benjamins.
They laid out the reasons why they canceled those games, so even if you disagree with them, at least they were honest as to why they canceled them. Marshall indicated they had a few Covid and lack of available scholarship players at key positions due to injuries. I'm assuming that's along the Offensive Line, so most must have gotten hurt sometime between the end of the Rice game and Tuesday morning. That's the question being posed here. Since their own words indicated 'few' Covid, one has to wonder where all these injuries accumulated from.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT