ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to the Herd Ladies! We Play For Championships

Phenomenal year for the ladies... The new coach is a home run, and she seems like the kind of person who is going to be able to create sustained success (much like Grassie). Obviously, no team wins their league every year, but MU women's basketball is on a great path to being a perennial contender.

Get the win Friday and finish 23-6 in the regular season... Nobody saw that coming in year one.

Phenomenal year for the ladies... The new coach is a home run, and she seems like the kind of person who is going to be able to create sustained success (much like Grassie). Obviously, no team wins their league every year, but MU women's basketball is on a great path to being a perennial contender.

Get the win Friday and finish 23-6 in the regular season... Nobody saw that coming in year one.
I'm an old fart and don't really care about girl's sports but she has done an incredible job, that cannot be denied.

30 years ago would any of us had thought that it would be men’s soccer and women’s basketball that would the only programs winning conference titles?

On a side note, can you imagine what Coach Caldwell is gonna do once she gets her recruits on campus? This season was accomplished after losing the best player from last year.

IMHO

- As long as the NCAA/Title IX make us have all these "olympic" (money losing) sports, we might as well be good at them. Personally, I think the ESPN greed system of NIL and transfer portal will kill college sports within the next 15 years, but as long as the system is as it is, we might as well be good at the money losing sports.

- The SBC is a one bid league in all sports except men's soccer (where it is a power conference). That makes the conference tournament really important. The women's tournament is mixed in with the men's in the same venue, which makes for some early and late starts for the women, which is a shame.

IMHO

- As long as the NCAA/Title IX make us have all these "olympic" (money losing) sports, we might as well be good at them. Personally, I think the ESPN greed system of NIL and transfer portal will kill college sports within the next 15 years, but as long as the system is as it is, we might as well be good at the money losing sports.

- The SBC is a one bid league in all sports except men's soccer (where it is a power conference). That makes the conference tournament really important. The women's tournament is mixed in with the men's in the same venue, which makes for some early and late starts for the women, which is a shame.
The problem/fallacy with Title IX is as you pointed out is that it forces schools to fund inane sports like girl's archery and girls rowing to have an equal number of athletic scholarships girls to men. There was a Supreme Court case several years ago that would have taken football out of the numbers mix but that was not upheld thus forcing the inane girls sports to exist that lose a ton of money and really closing men's sports such as tennis, track. They make us pay a high price for football.

The problem/fallacy with Title IX is as you pointed out is that it forces schools to fund inane sports like girl's archery and girls rowing to have an equal number of athletic scholarships girls to men. There was a Supreme Court case several years ago that would have taken football out of the numbers mix but that was not upheld thus forcing the inane girls sports to exist that lose a ton of money and really closing men's sports such as tennis, track. They make us pay a high price for football.
Frankly, I don't think it would make a bit of difference if they did away with the women's sports and poured it into football. We can spend like Bama but if you don't have the right coach, doesn't matter.

Reactions: luckytoes99
IMHO

SBC can get multiple bids in baseball (Coastal, So. Miss, Ga Southern, Troy, Louisiana, are all traditionally good)... But other than that, you are right.

I've always been of the same opinion that if you have to carry a sport, you might as well be good at it... Women's basketball seems like a niche we could fit in nicely. Build a dominant program, make regular tourney appearances, and lose as little money as possible. We've done it with mens soccer, no reason we can't have a women's "flagship" sport that we (and our daughters) can be proud of.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Whether we want to admit it or not, we have a hell of a better chance being a national player soccer, women's b'all, softball, etc. than we ever will in football or men's b'ball.
The deck is too stacked against us in those two sports. We need to realize that and support those sports/teams.

Frankly, I don't think it would make a bit of difference if they did away with the women's sports and poured it into football. We can spend like Bama but if you don't have the right coach, doesn't matter.
We've seen here paying coach near top salary relative to rest and investing in facilities = success. Those factors help us have right coach. More difficult for us in FB and BB to get right coach, when for example P5 coordinators are paid more than G5 HCs and our salary is not near top of G5, basketball similar.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
SBC can get multiple bids in baseball (Coastal, So. Miss, Ga Southern, Troy, Louisiana, are all traditionally good)... But other than that, you are right.

I've always been of the same opinion that if you have to carry a sport, you might as well be good at it... Women's basketball seems like a niche we could fit in nicely. Build a dominant program, make regular tourney appearances, and lose as little money as possible. We've done it with mens soccer, no reason we can't have a women's "flagship" sport that we (and our daughters) can be proud of.
Yep! Programs like men's soccer and women's basketball will never be money makers for the school. BUT - increased attendance and donations gets us close to where we'd be from a net financial perspective compared to if we paid less for mediocre coaches and had minimal donations because we didn't win on the field/court. Baseball and softball have the same potential.

If things end up being close to a wash in the end we might as well try to win.

Yep! Programs like men's soccer and women's basketball will never be money makers for the school. BUT - increased attendance and donations gets us close to where we'd be from a net financial perspective compared to if we paid less for mediocre coaches and had minimal donations because we didn't win on the field/court. Baseball and softball have the same potential.

If things end up being close to a wash in the end we might as well try to win.
Men's soccer should be closing the gap between what we spend and take in I would think.

These gals are even more impressive in person. Really enjoyed watching them play.
If Kim can get some guards to replace Beeman and Campbell, she can dominate the league for years.
Replacing those two will be a hard task.
The pace and hustle are relentless.

The Herd will face either Georgia St or App on Friday.
JMU takes 3rd seed, meaning we potentially face ODU on Sunday.

Last edited:
Love that we have a HC who has extensive experience in the “second season”! None of the teams favored to win the tourney have HC’s who have ever won even one game in the Dance. Maybe more important than even her system is the ability to motivate & create a mind set in her players. She said recently
“They don’t need to feel any pressure. I’ll take the pressure.”

Love that we have a HC who has extensive experience in the “second season”! None of the teams favored to win the tourney have HC’s who have ever won even one game in the Dance. Maybe more important than even her system is the ability to motivate & create a mind set in her players. She said recently
“They don’t need to feel any pressure. I’ll take the pressure.”

Ummmm. That’s one of the most impressive stats I’ve seen. She’s incredible, no matter the division or team.
Wanna see a fun one? Fgcu, my now alma mater, wbb team has went undefeated in conference play now 7 times. The program boasts the highest all time win percentage. The first thing I said when we hired Kim was she reminded me of our coach. Both teams are very very fun to watch and beat the brakes off their opponents. Go Kim and the girls!

I saw a Chattanooga team that they beat earlier this season won their conference tourney. With a win tomorrow, hopefully that win will come into play and earn them a little better seed.
With a win today, the Herd will be somewhere between a 12-14 seed... That's the nature of being a mid-major that hasn't been to the tournament in forever from a one-bid league.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
With a win today, the Herd will be somewhere between a 12-14 seed... That's the nature of being a mid-major that hasn't been to the tournament in forever from a one-bid league.
The latest bracketology has us as a 14 seed, right along with Chattanooga. I looked at Chattanooga’s schedule and they only lost 4 games this season, and have a road win over projected 11 seed Mississippi State. Kinda BS.

The latest bracketology has us as a 14 seed, right along with Chattanooga. I looked at Chattanooga’s schedule and they only lost 4 games this season, and have a road win over projected 11 seed Mississippi State. Kinda BS.
That's the tough thing about women's college hoops... The parity just isn't there like it is in the mens game.

In the mens bracket, all 68 teams think they can win that first round game and the top 25-30 teams feel like they have legit chance to win the whole show.

In women's basketball there are about 5-6 teams with a legit chance to win the tournament and there aren't nearly the number of upsets you see in mens basketball further down in the field. So the committee just takes the mid-majors, throws them in a pool and pencils the 13-16 seeds in based on logical geography.

ESPN has us in (sound familiar?) South Bend taking on the Irish as a #14. They also project WVU to be in the same location facing an #11 seed play-in opponent…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT