ADVERTISEMENT

Here comes the Portal

ilmherdfan

Gold Buffalo
Mar 11, 2007
So far it looks like Immanuel Bush and Jack Murphy (other than Zamora).

Cerdrice Paillant declared for the draft.

Murphy, OL Freshman, buried on the Depth Chart; wish him well where he finds a place to play.
Immanuel Bush, Dline RS Freshman, had some playing time, mostly when Legg was injured; wish him well where he finds a place to play.

Cedrice Paillant, Rs Senior, transferred in last season from Rugers, alternating right tackle, part time starter, started yesterday. Big pro-sized run blocking tackle, wish him well, suspect free agent offer to attend a camp.

Reactions: ilmherdfan
Downplaying Bush somewhat. He played in 12 games and started 6. He is a material loss given everyone leaving already from the DL.

Reactions: HerdFan73
That's alright. We took one of their DBs.

We also got a nice 300lb DT

For a moment this morning I had to take a double take…
200.gif

I guess I’m just going to have to stop paying attention to the team until next august.

How are you supposed to have any notion of the direction your program is heading? Bush is the type of guy you’d want on your program.

Get a redshirt year. Get significant PT as a freshman. Ready to step in as a sophomore and be a 2-3 year starter for us. Instead, he’s gone. And its “no worry, we have another 300 pounder coming. From the portal.”

Ok, this Geiger guy played almost none this season at CCU (an injury was in there somewhere I believe). Was not a starter as a junior, and as far as I can tell, all his other offers were FCS. Maybe he’ll be great, I don’t know. But that’s the whole point, there’s just no way to know. And then this time next year, HES GONE TOO.

I’m already getting very tired of this re-racking your whole team and crossing your fingers every august.

I was told at the bowl game that Bush was made an offer by Wake he could not refuse. Can't blame the young man and I wish him the best.

Doc left at the right time. No way in hell he could handle the portal. lol!
Pfft. Take shots at Doc while the current HC has our QB situation a complete mess right now. Huff was the nation's #1 recruiter while at Bama and now that almost all of Doc's players will be graduating we'll get to see if he was that good because of Bama/Saban or if he's really that good.

If the portal were around for the last 2-3 decades, does anybody here believe Pennington, Leftwich, or even Moss would have stuck around with the Herd for all four years, or in Moss's case, a couple of years? I believe the time has arrived where the really great players will always be moving up (from G5 programs) as well as those P5 programs that simply go through the motions of being a P5 program (50 of the 65 or so).

I was told at the bowl game that Bush was made an offer by Wake he could not refuse. Can't blame the young man and I wish him the best.

This is sad. Not for him, not even blaming him.

But this is not what this sport is supposed to be about.

There has to be some middle ground where things are not so draconian that dudes can’t even use their own name when playing music like that linemen a couple years ago. And this free for all we have now that’s way beyond even professional sports free agency.

I also heard Florida offered Hartman $1.5M. Can't confirm that rumor, but would not surprise me. We know what people are offering Maye from UNC.

Pfft. Take shots at Doc while the current HC has our QB situation a complete mess right now. Huff was the nation's #1 recruiter while at Bama and now that almost all of Doc's players will be graduating we'll get to see if he was that good because of Bama/Saban or if he's really that good.
Doc left us with Wells and Fancher. Huff isn't doing any better but didn't have much to work with. Wasn't a shot at Doc, I seriously don't think he could have handled this, or even would want to try.

This is sad. Not for him, not even blaming him.

But this is not what this sport is supposed to be about.

There has to be some middle ground where things are not so draconian that dudes can’t even use their own name when playing music like that linemen a couple years ago. And this free for all we have now that’s way beyond even professional sports free agency.
Even though I believe the portal has it's benefits for both players and schools, there needs to be some sort of cap. I'm thinking something like a 2 transfer cap during a player's eligibility. Preferably to be used if the coach that recruites you moves on and you have the opportunity to follow, or as a redshirt senior, where you're buried in the depth chart and you could move on and get some real playing time before your college career is over. Much like what the NIL slushfund has become, I can't believe this was what was envisioned when the transfer portal was created.

Doc left us with Wells and Fancher. Huff isn't doing any better but didn't have much to work with. Wasn't a shot at Doc, I seriously don't think he could have handled this, or even would want to try.
I think he would have done fine. Doc's problem wasn't bringing in talent. It was developing it and Legg downright sucked at utilizing his talent. Like sending 5'6" Moo Moo on deep fade routes for jump balls lol or lining Davonte Allen out all the way to the sideline leaving him no room to work.

So Doc “left” us with a qb good enough to start an entire season at a P5 and a qb good enough to go 6-1 as a starter here. Shame on him.

I guess I’m just going to have to stop paying attention to the team until next august.

How are you supposed to have any notion of the direction your program is heading? Bush is the type of guy you’d want on your program.

Get a redshirt year. Get significant PT as a freshman. Ready to step in as a sophomore and be a 2-3 year starter for us. Instead, he’s gone. And its “no worry, we have another 300 pounder coming. From the portal.”

Ok, this Geiger guy played almost none this season at CCU (an injury was in there somewhere I believe). Was not a starter as a junior, and as far as I can tell, all his other offers were FCS. Maybe he’ll be great, I don’t know. But that’s the whole point, there’s just no way to know. And then this time next year, HES GONE TOO.

I’m already getting very tired of this re-racking your whole team and crossing your fingers every august.

Bwahaha, wait'll coaching kicks in.

If the portal were around for the last 2-3 decades, does anybody here believe Pennington, Leftwich, or even Moss would have stuck around with the Herd for all four years, or in Moss's case, a couple of years? I believe the time has arrived where the really great players will always be moving up (from G5 programs) as well as those P5 programs that simply go through the motions of being a P5 program (50 of the 65 or so).

As you know, it's been going on forever. Pony Exce$$, the ESPN 30 for 30 was great at just giving a glimpse of the literal bidding wars for players back in the 80's.
Back then is really hasn't changed in comparison.

I read that Pitt offered someone $5 million to transfer from UNC...unreal.

Seems like such offers are more for publicity as the school can brag they can offer that much for someone, would entice others to ask how much they could get too.

Imagine if a player is making more than their HC and what sort of toxicity THAT would create in a locker room?!

As you know, it's been going on forever. Pony Exce$$, the ESPN 30 for 30 was great at just giving a glimpse of the literal bidding wars for players back in the 80's.

Seems like such offers are more for publicity as the school can brag they can offer that much for someone, would entice others to ask how much they could get too.

Imagine if a player is making more than their HC and what sort of toxicity
I think he would have done fine. Doc's problem wasn't bringing in talent. It was developing it and Legg downright sucked at utilizing his talent. Like sending 5'6" Moo Moo on deep fade routes for jump balls lol or lining Davonte Allen out all the way to the sideline leaving him no room to work.

Well, minus those 10+ win seasons and a QB who broke all the records set by QB's who had superior talent...
He was recruited heavily out of Miami Central...wasn't he?

Oh wait...

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan

Imagine if a player is making more than their HC and what sort of toxicity THAT would create in a locker room?!
Drake May the QB from UNC... Reportedly 3 teams have offered him $5 million or more to transfer there (the rumored other two are Georgia and USC).

Mack Brown was on the radio complaining about tampering with players who aren't in the portal and he said it's a total shit show now... Since there are almost no rules, and no one to enforce the almost no rules, its only going to get worse.

If Bama wants a kid and he isn't in the portal, they just have a "representative" from the program call said kid's dad, uncle, buddies, etc and tell him to enter the portal for "X" amount of dollars. It's now openly as slimy as we all knew it was in the 80's behind closed doors.

Well, minus those 10+ win seasons and a QB who broke all the records set by QB's who had superior talent...

Oh wait...
Thank God his good friend convinced said QB to back out of the commit to FIU and come to Marshall with him.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

While it's always been going on behind the scenes this is 1000x more than ever. The amount of money going around is insane and the amount of players. It's no longer just trying to get the best RB a trans-am. No it's about bankrolling and entire roster now.

Just for some clarification, schools can't offer anyone any money; supporters or foundations independent from the athletic departments do. NIL is not a function of athletic departments, they don't do NIL deals. They may provide NIL processes and assistance for their players, but the money isn't athletic department or university funds. That's the whole deal. It's a legal Chapman Printing agreement, one gets paid for their name, their image, or their likeness by independent folks or organizations. No work is required, other than showing up and providing your name, image, or likeness; to be used by those who are willing to pay your for it. Whether they ever use it or not is up to them.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ADs don't do the deals, but they arrange them.
To think that athletic departments aren't involved in NIL is burying your head in the sand... Especially when schools have millions upon millions of dollars in "NIL accounts" that booster clubs can use to pay kids. The coaches, administrators, boosters, etc are all working together to get the kids they want and the price they can pay.

The day may come when RB makes millions and the O line peanuts. How is that going to work out
That day has already gotten here... There are plenty of schools were QBs are making millions and linemen are making way way less.

Bryce Young has NIL deals adding up to $3.25 million... JC Latham, the Tide's highest paid offensive lineman, has deals worth 270K total. Their next lineman is making $180K and the third guy is making 61K (which is less than the third string QB who has never seen the field, at least yet).

Reactions: ohio herd

Oh wait...
Pitt didn't offer him $5 mill. Pitt's HC said that other teams had offered Maye $5 Mill. Pitt lost a recruit to NIL money.

Reactions: Clarion86
That’s why it was smart of Texas boosters to do the offensive lineman guarantee. They all get $50k that goes to $100k, minimum.

Source on the inside said college football won't make it more than 3-5 years. I wanted to debate him, but I agreed. This type of thing ruins the sport. It's completely unfair when a set of schools pay their players sums of cash like this and we want to talk about academics.

I don't see academia in the NFL.

Why not have collegiate athletes play for the NCAA.

If a player accepts money, he enters the NFL G league/NFL lite.

Its not even fair to communities across the US that need the enrollment. Losing enrollment to elites that pay. Wild that this is happening. But when money is involved. No rules.

Source on the inside said college football won't make it more than 3-5 years. I wanted to debate him, but I agreed. This type of thing ruins the sport. It's completely unfair when a set of schools pay their players sums of cash like this and we want to talk about academics.

I don't see academia in the NFL.

Why not have collegiate athletes play for the NCAA.

If a player accepts money, he enters the NFL G league/NFL lite.

Its not even fair to communities across the US that need the enrollment. Losing enrollment to elites that pay. Wild that this is happening. But when money is involved. No rules.
NFL G league will have a hard time replacing LSU V OSU
I mean who would care

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT