ADVERTISEMENT

Here comes the Portal

So Doc “left” us with a qb good enough to start an entire season at a P5 and a qb good enough to go 6-1 as a starter here. Shame on him.
Seriously? Better ask VT what they think about their 3-8 world-beater QB.

He was a starter by default. Won't be next year though.

Nil isn’t the problem, the transfers rules are the problem.

Face it, we aren’t going to get guys out of HS that command big NIL. They were going to the big programs anyway. It impacts us none if Oregon wants to get in a bidding war for a 5 star QB.

The portal is the issue because when we do get that under the radar guy that balls out there is always a good chance we lose them.

They either need to change the transfer rules or make scholarships a multi year contract just like coaching ones. You want to leave to play somewhere else, you have to buy out your contract.

Face it, we aren’t going to get guys out of HS that command big NIL. They were going to the big programs anyway. It impacts us none if Oregon wants to get in a bidding war for a 5 star QB.

The portal is the issue because when we do get that under the radar guy that balls out there is always a good chance we lose them.

They either need to change the transfer rules or make scholarships a multi year contract just like coaching ones. You want to leave to play somewhere else, you have to buy out your contract.

We weren’t getting the guys out of high school that are getting big NIL’s now.

Nothing has changed.

Those kids are still chasing the money. It’s just legal now. And good for them.

I'm getting so old these days I can remember when college football was fun. For the most part the guys played for the love of the game and pride in the school they represented. Oh sure there was always an envelope slipped under the door stuffed with 50's with a note saying , "good game". However what is going on now is out of control.

At the end of the day there are 85 players wearing Marshall jerseys with random numbers on them trying to score.

Literally nothing different for the fan. Only difference is now instead of rooting for the name on the back for three or four years it may only be one year. That’s it.

I agree... I have zero problem with NIL. Kids making some money for playing college ball (which is a multi-BILLION dollar business) does not bother me in the least.

But there needs to be some changes to the "Portal"

A couple of easy ones that would drastically help the game and not hurt the players --

1. The Portal is "Closed" from Sept. 1 - Jan. 15... The rest of the year, do whatever you want, transfer, go wherever, chase dollars, etc... But during the season no one enters the portal. Essentially create a "free agency" period like professional sports have in the offseason and get rid of the distraction of "the Portal" overshadowing bowl season and the playoffs.

2. Put in a transfer "cap"... You can't do a salary cap since the schools aren't directly writing the checks. So put in a transfer cap where you can only transfer twice... Make kids actually think about what they are doing, rather than treating college like a series of 5-6 one-year contracts. Once you graduate, then you can have a grad transfer year if you so choose.

I agree... I have zero problem with NIL. Kids making some money for playing college ball (which is a multi-BILLION dollar business) does not bother me in the least.

A couple of easy ones that would drastically help the game and not hurt the players --

1. The Portal is "Closed" from Sept. 1 - Jan. 15... The rest of the year, do whatever you want, transfer, go wherever, chase dollars, etc... But during the season no one enters the portal. Essentially create a "free agency" period like professional sports have in the offseason and get rid of the distraction of "the Portal" overshadowing bowl season and the playoffs.

2. Put in a transfer "cap"... You can't do a salary cap since the schools aren't directly writing the checks. So put in a transfer cap where you can only transfer twice... Make kids actually think about what they are doing, rather than treating college like a series of 5-6 one-year contracts. Once you graduate, then you can have a grad transfer year if you so choose.
I like your first idea. To accomplish that the NCAA is going to have to do away with the early NSD and go back to only having one in February.

Reactions: RhinoD

1. I don’t see the point. Let them go as soon as they know they are going to go. Helps the kids out in that they can find a place quicker and helps the programs out because now they know what they need

2. I believe this exists. I think you only get the one free transfer. The next one has to be with sitting out a year or after you are a graduate. But even if it wasn’t. How many of those multi transfer guys really pan out.

I still think we are all making mountains out of molehills. The game doesn’t change.

The game for the players may not change, but the "game" for the coaches changes a lot. Just watching another "source" of players adds significantly more challenges to their jobs. Having to keep track of folks you recruited four years ago to see if they are still recruitable when needed at your school is a new thing; used to be when they were off the board, they were pretty much off the board; you're on to the next set of potential players. Now no one is "off the board" until their entire eligibility runs out.

So the game between the lines may not change, but game to get onto the field to use the lines does; a lot IMHO.

Huff drew to an inside straight to land Laborn. If not for that acquisition, we most likely end up w/a losing season, and almost certainly don’t walk away from TD Jesus w/a W. Won’t often get that lucky……jmo

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I think he would have done fine. Doc's problem wasn't bringing in talent. It was developing it and Legg downright sucked at utilizing his talent. Like sending 5'6" Moo Moo on deep fade routes for jump balls lol or lining Davonte Allen out all the way to the sideline leaving him no room to work.
Clueless in Huntington

& bring back the rule of making a transfer sit out one season.

Reactions: Sunshine2269
At the end of the day there are 85 players wearing Marshall jerseys with random numbers on them trying to score.

Literally nothing different for the fan. Only difference is now instead of rooting for the name on the back for three or four years it may only be one year. That’s it.

So I guess you’re saying that you don’t have any favorite players or guys from the past that made going to games even more enjoyable?

Would your fandom have ever reached the point it’s at if Pennington left after 1996? What if Leftwich didn’t want to sit in 1999 so he transferred instead?

Reactions: HerdFan73
So I guess you’re saying that you don’t have any favorite players or guys from the past that made going to games even more enjoyable?

Would your fandom have ever reached the point it’s at if Pennington left after 1996? What if Leftwich didn’t want to sit in 1999 so he transferred instead?

Sure. I was also a fan of Olandis Gary and Jermaine Wiggins as well. I also liked Jason Williams and Dre Kane. Liked watching Kareem Canty as well.

Personal friends with Marques Aiken.

But I also became a fan of Randy Moss and Eric Kresser.

I also liked Keith Veney.

Khalan Laborn is someone I am a huge fan of as well. As is Andre Sam and Isaiah Gibson. Etc. etc.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
So it’s not just rooting for 85 guys in Marshall jerseys and the attachment you feel to the players as you watch them grow and improve is important?

If so, then the transfer portal does matter and your early comment was wrong.

Drake Maye has said that the rumors of being offered 5 mil aren’t true and that he’s staying in chapel hill, I’ll believe that when he starts the first game. NIL is the final nail in the coffin of college football. The ncaa was castrated by the conferences and tv money and don’t care what happens. Schools like Marshall are now the minor league farm system for the big boys. I really hate it for the high school kids that won’t get a shot now because we all recruiting is going to happen I. The transfer portal.

Drake Maye has said that the rumors of being offered 5 mil aren’t true and that he’s staying in chapel hill, I’ll believe that when he starts the first game. NIL is the final nail in the coffin of college football. The ncaa was castrated by the conferences and tv money and don’t care what happens. Schools like Marshall are now the minor league farm system for the big boys. I really hate it for the high school kids that won’t get a shot now because we all recruiting is going to happen I. The transfer portal.

They start a true playoff system then it will get interesting.. Good coaching will play a big part in a 12 or, even better, 16 team play off.
Wouldn’t mind seeing some “minor league” teams shock the world from Time to time. December Madness?

I like your first idea. To accomplish that the NCAA is going to have to do away with the early NSD and go back to only having one in February.
I like the idea of 2 transfers - undergrad and grad only. This should cover all of the coaching changes within 5-6 years. Unlimited transfers is silly.

I am not sure how to solve the NIL. I can see Collectives being a problem for the universities since that $ is going to the athletes and not the university. It will hurt the new donor $ coming to schools.

NSD - I don't see that changing since so many kids are doing early enrollment. It seems like the February signing could be removed. You can still sign in December even if you wait until next fall to report.

Reactions: RhinoD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT