ADVERTISEMENT

I am herdman

Well, that poll is probably right. That is because we have a nation of soft flower children.

Nope. The share of young adults (18-31) living in their parents’ home was relatively constant from 1968 (the earliest comparable data available) to 2007, at about 32%. So it's nothing new, just something else to whine about. The 32% has increased to 36% since 2007 due to that great recession thingy.

The median HOUSEHOLD income was appx. $25,000 in 1988.
Your $12,000 had the same purchasing power as $25,000 in today's dollars. That equals $12 per hour in todays wages. While not a lot of money, you were not living poor.

Uh, I was a household. All in I made $6 an hour, which is about $12 an hour in today's money. So your contention then is that $12 an hour is a good wage for a single male with student loan debt living on his own?

If so, what do you call a single man making $60,000 a year, which is about $30 an hour, living at home with his parents (which is the real debate here)? Thanks for making our point that Fever is a bum and failure. I knew you would come around to my way of thinking.

Why not just let your kids live at home until you die and that way they won't have to buy a house at all? That is the fairest thing to do. Why stop at 30? Go to 40 or 50.

Uh, I was a household. All in I made $6 an hour, which is about $12 an hour in today's money. So your contention then is that $12 an hour is a good wage for a single male with student loan debt living on his own?

My contention all along has been that you were not living poor. You were making the equivalent of $25,000 per year in today's money. A household making $25,000 today has an average of 2 people living in it. You only had one.

By the way, you said your mother raised you and your brother/sister on $660 per month. Is that what she was drawing per month when you were 4 or 5 years old?

"12k a year".... minus fed and state payroll taxes. Actual take home would likely be a couple grand less. Greed also ignores "cost of living" consideration of the town banker lived in at that time. Apparently he bases his "not poor" assertion that everyone lived/lives in Wayne Co. $6/hour in Wayne Co in 1988 probably afforded someone a "nice" hand me down, used double wide on cinderblocks with a blow up pool out back. That's liv'n large by most hilljack standards.

Now we wants to try and set up an argument that $660 a month in 1975 was living in the lap of luxury for a single mother of two.

You know greed, you really are one stupid SOB. Why did you even come back? The absence made the board a better place for everyone.

Now we wants to try and set up an argument that $660 a month in 1975 was living in the lap of luxury for a single mother of two.

You know greed, you really are one stupid SOB. Why did you even come back? The absence made the board a better place for everyone.

Answer the question.

Banker might as well admit he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and from now on donate 75% of his paycheck to the Clinton Foundation.

Banker might as well admit he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and from now on donate 75% of his paycheck to the Clinton Foundation.

Or he could just admit he wasn't "living poor" like he attempts to portray, and admit "big government" was paying his mother the equivalent to $45,000/year.

Well sure, but the ultimate goal is to get him to support increasing government forced generosity for those who luck into fortune in this country.

Yep, nothing screams living poor louder than graduating college with a new car and being able to afford renting an apartment in a new location.

No, that was smart. Banker bought a shitbox economy car, but a new shitbox economy car, to have a warranty and reliable transportation to work. That is far more important than having a swank apartment. Now, if he had bought a BMW or Cadillac you might have a point.

With today's money, that car costs the equivalent of $20,000 and the payment would be $563.00. And that $100 to "live on" would be a little over $200.00. The average new car payment was $482 ( a record high) per month in the 4th quarter of 2014, which means you were paying the equivalent of $80 per month more than the average. I don't accept that you were "living poor".

LOL. He bought the equivalent of a Ford Fiesta. with an SE package. I can get you one for under $15k. Again, not a bad idea if you are actually planning on having a career and driving to work every day. Bad idea if you work three days a week at Wendy's, sure.

Extra is crushing herdman on this one. In many areas of the country, it is impossible for those with normal jobs to save $50,000 during their number of years out of college to afford a down payment and get the mortgage cost reasonable.

Being able to buy a property instead of continue renting for a number of years more could be the difference of helping a young adult earn a couple hundred thousand dollars eventually. Why a parent wouldn't want to help with that is questionable in my mind.

I agree. It would be different if his son is being irresponsible.

Or he could just admit he wasn't "living poor" like he attempts to portray, and admit "big government" was paying his mother the equivalent to $45,000/year.

Where do you get your math skills? I'm guessing 10th grade at Wayne HS.

$660 a month in 1975 is equal to $35,130 in 2015 according to the US Government's CPI inflation calculator. It's amazing how you just make shite up, or maybe you are actually stupid enough to believe you are correct. Even given that, I'm not sure how much we got in 1975, I know it was $660 a month in 1982 when my older sister left for college. Based on that the $7,920 annually was worth $19,586 in 2015.

Oh, and that wasn't welfare, it was social security survivor benefits. Basically we were getting back what my father had paid in but wouldn't get back because he was dead. There was no food stamps, housing vouchers, utility subsidies, etc. On average, in 2015 a single mother of 2 collects in excess of $36,000 in social assistance, so we lived on a little more than half of what a modern day person in the same situation has. So if we weren't poor then your typical welfare mom today is flat out rich.

I'm starting to think you're the silver spoon guy because you obviously have no idea what rich or poor is. How did you start that cabinet business? Money from daddy or maybe your grandpa? Did they have the company and you just took it over?

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Sorry you can't read. Not to diss a quality Wayne education, but you really should have considered college silver spoon boy. So did the money come from dad, grandpa, or did you just take over the company business?

Sorry you can't read. Not to diss a quality Wayne education, but you really should have considered college silver spoon boy. So did the money come from dad, grandpa, or did you just take over the company business?

I'm using government data from education levels above yours. And the rest of the data is...well...yours.

I have a brand-new 3 BR for $750, in a very good, convenient location.

Lots of blacks around Louisville. You would fit right in. They even have protests and shit here.

Sounds like a deal, and I agree with your sarcasm about the protest, I wouldn't be out there unless they start having protest against black on black crime

Inflation Calculator
If in (enter year) 1970
I purchased an item for $660
then in 2015
that same item would cost: $4,059.31
http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/
CPI Inflation Calculator
$ 660
in 1970
Has the same buying power as: $4,059.31
in 2015
http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Just wondering? Does Greed understand that 1975 and/or 1982 are not the same years as 1970? Actually using the links Greed provided (accurately), Banker is correct. $19k is "rich" to Greed??? His jealousy and envy make total sense now.

CPI Inflation Calculator
$ 7920 (660/month)
in 1982
Has the same buying power as:
$19,585.63
in 2015

you're clueless. in 1988, my dad was the sole worker of the house, made a bit less than $25,000. had one brother, one sister. got free cheese from the government. stuff was great cold but made me vomit when melted over a burger. if it wasn't for living on my granddad's farm (mom's side), having the luxury of milking cows and gathering eggs, and access to beef and pork, no way in hell we'd have made it. weekly dinner highlight was Friday night burgers and fries followed by a scoop of ice cream. Saturday night the big snack was popcorn.

summer vacation consisted of a week at my gramp's cabin (dad's side) 45 mins from our house. we had lake access, though, so would take our 12' v-bottom john boat up and float around on the backside of the lake, staying out of the real boat traffic, and we'd camp out. oh, got to go to my aunt's in va beach maybe twice that I can recall as a kid and got to go spend one summer with my granddad and great grandmother (both dad's side) in East Hartford once when I was around 10. first time i made it west of west virginia or south of virginia was during college and I had to save up for those trips myself. otherwise, I didn't know what a vacation was per today's standards.

you obviously were strung out on hard core drugs if you actually believe $12,000 wasn't living poor in 1988 for a single person, let alone for an "average household of 2". $25K for a house of 5 not living poor? reggie, please.

Last edited:
Extra, how much money did you make in 1988? Seriously, you seem to have no understanding of money and I'm starting to think I'm right that you were given everything you have. Maybe that's why your guilt complex shows through so much.

Extra, how much money did you make in 1988? Seriously, you seem to have no understanding of money and I'm starting to think I'm right that you were given everything you have. Maybe that's why your guilt complex shows through so much.

No tangents allowed today. Your "living poor" fabrication has been debunked. Live with it.

Man, you really are just a retard. I lived my life, I know what it was like, so there is no way to debunk it by inaccurately calculation from a government CPI site.

I've painstakenly answered your questions with a high level of detail. Other on this board, all others I would venture, understand but it's lost on you. You really are frustratingly stupid and your practice of never answering questions, only responding with question yourself, is straight out of "Debating for Idiots". You are simply nothing.

You didn't live poor. Period. I used YOUR data and government data to debunk your assertion that you lived poor. Your childish name calling and personal attacks change nothing.

he damn sure wasn't living in the lap of luxury, and was living well below average. so, maybe he was just living semi-poor? i know we damn sure didn't feel middle class walking a mile to the bus each way because we didn't have an extra vehicle for mom to take us to the bus stop while dad was at work. didn't feel too mediocre all 5 of us piling in the rusted out '72 Volkswagen beetle to go to church on sundays or any other family outing. but hey, the government said we were middle class, so damn, we must've been just that.

what was it you made in 1988? 2015? hope it's more than the poverty line of $15K for you and the ole lady, because, you know, $20 to $35K is more than enough for a family of two to live comfortably in the middle class by government standards.

Did someone state that you or banker were living in the lap of luxury? If they did I missed it.

I'm completely convinced that extra was given his business, or at least the capital to start it. It's obvious he has no concept of poor, which means he has never experienced it. The irony in this is that he usually puts up a facade of a compassionate person, but his hard-headed hatred of anyone who challenges or disagrees with him (another trait of those who were spoiled and had things handed to them) reveals what he truly is.

I'm completely convinced that extra was given his business, or at least the capital to start it. It's obvious he has no concept of poor, which means he has never experienced it. The irony in this is that he usually puts up a facade of a compassionate person, but his hard-headed hatred of anyone who challenges or disagrees with him (another trait of those who were spoiled and had things handed to them) reveals what he truly is.

Irony. Funny you mention that. Irony is claiming you were living poor while purchasing a brand new car the same year you graduated from college and making about the median U S wage your first year out of school. On top of that, you offer that you and your sibling were raised under the roof of a parent that received the equivalent of about $45,000 per year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT