ADVERTISEMENT

Is spears fixing things that don’t need fixed?? Fires track coach

Not a lawyer but that’s all they showed in Moore v ND. He was fired because the new guy wanted his guy

The case went to trial in Lafayette on July 9, 1998. On July 15, 1998, after four and one-half hours of deliberation, the Jury found that Notre Dame had violated the Age Discrimination in Employment *903 Act (ADEA) and awarded Moore back pay in the amount of $42,935.28. Additionally, because the jury determined that Notre Dame's violation of ADEA was wilful, P
What happens if the next coach is a 68 year old Mormon lesbian?

• Haha
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Yes I have age
It seems this case has already been litigated
Joe Moore age 66 was fired by Notre Dame as OL coach because the new coach wanted his own man
Moore worked at ND for 9 yrs
He suited for age discrimination and won

Moore alleges that Davie told him he was fired because he was "too old" and would not be able to continue to coach for another full five-year period.

Did spears say this to small?

Idk I wasn’t in the room but I think it can easily be argued, as there were no reasons given. Let’s face it we have a jerk for an AD
We can’t assume anything, especially that he was fired because he’s old, like you have done. I don’t care if spears is a jerk or not. You are obviously way more invested in this than anyone else

And what does Indiana law have to do with WV?
Show me a similar circumstance/case/verdict in the mountain state and I’ll listen…….
And don’t forget:
  • The burden of proving an unlawful termination typically falls on the employee.
And oh, btw: is Coach Small suing MU for age discrimination?

What culture is that? Guaranteed career long employment regardless of performance?
Looks who’s he fired. Long time popular coaches, who btw never had the facilities needed. Off the top of my head, Jeff Wagner in baseball, Small in track. Neither had the basics. Now changing how we watch football games, no pass outs etc. there’s a few other changes on the horizon, you’ll see. He also wants to deemphize the fountain ceremony as well as the 75 game. After all how long has it been plus too much pressure on the coach
He’s bad for MU

Reactions: The Real SamC
And what does Indiana law have to do with WV?
Show me a similar circumstance/case/verdict in the mountain state and I’ll listen…….
And don’t forget:
  • The burden of proving an unlawful termination typically falls on the employee.
And oh, btw: is Coach Small suing MU for age discrimination?
Not that I am aware

Looks who’s he fired. Long time popular coaches, who btw never had the facilities needed. Off the top of my head, Jeff Wagner in baseball, Small in track. Neither had the basics. Now changing how we watch football games, no pass outs etc. there’s a few other changes on the horizon, you’ll see. He also wants to deemphize the fountain ceremony as well as the 75 game. After all how long has it been plus too much pressure on the coach
He’s bad for MU
Oh my god you can’t leave the stadium and come back?!?! The horror. Wags time was up and small has been here 30 years. Change is hard obviously some people(you) can’t deal with said change.

Remember hamrick showed up to introduce huff with a grocery bag. But hey that’s ok and proper behavior for an AD right

Complacency in the AD was rampant. It was a cancer. No expectations for anything. Football was king and everything funneled there with very limited success. Extension given even after a 2016 season that was the worst in 3 decades.
Dwindling attendance and stagnant donor base.

Wish I could have a job 16 and 30 years with no real expectations or pressure to win titles.
That's a very nice gig. Now the landscape has changed. Accountability and program progress are goals.
Change is tough but Marshall was going nowhere under the previous AD.

He’s bad for MU
Popular coaches doesn’t always mean the best coaches. Who cares if they didn’t have the basics. New times. New facilities. New coaches.

You admitted to “not knowing” details. Let’s stick with that. You don’t know. If he was asked to step aside, for what ever reason, and refused the move needed made. Why would you want to work for a boss that didn’t want you anyway.

What proof you have on “75 ceremony”? More “IDK”s???? What’s wrong with changing the “focus”? The 75 will always be central to core of the program. Things can change and still be a central part of our heritage. I don’t see that changing.

Brad brought a new vision and focus to Marshall. Spears is too. The same old way of doing things (for “30 years”) isn’t going to get it done. Marshall needed change for its survival. I welcome it.

Yes I have age
It seems this case has already been litigated
Joe Moore age 66 was fired by Notre Dame as OL coach because the new coach wanted his own man
Moore worked at ND for 9 yrs
He suited for age discrimination and won

Moore had a case because Bob Davis (the new HC) cited Moore’s age as a reason to let him go, “Though Davie was free to choose any coach he wanted, he specifically cited Moore's age—64—as a factor in the decision. “ Notre Dame also accused Moore of abusing players and said he presented a negative image of the University. Reading through previous articles, it feels like that was the straw that made him want to sue, and he might not have otherwise.

In terms of what he sued for vs what he got, said “ Moore originally sought $3 million incompensatory damages from the University and Davie, $1 million incompensatory damages from Blue & Gold Illustrated, and $5 millionin punitive damages from the defendants. By contrast, the juryin the trial awarded Moore less than $86,000, plus court costsand legal fees and front pay (if any) to be determined by the judge.

Basically, Smalls doesn’t have much of a case compared to Moore, there’s nothing explicit that says he’s let go for his age, and Marshall isn’t defaming him to further enrage him either. Also how much could he really expect to get from this suit, Notre Dame refused to settle out of court because Moore’s lawyers wouldn’t negotiate, and I believe Marshall could buckle down and ride it out through court, almost guaranteed to be paying less then 6 figures, and most likely they’ll pay nothing.

People in here complaining about Wags being fired, let me ask you this... How many championships did he win? Same with Small? If Spears doesn't think they are doing their job good enough, he is going to get rid of them. Simple. That's how real life works. If you don't do your job well, you're going to get fired. The only way to never get fired is to make yourself irreplaceable.

Complacency in the AD was rampant. It was a cancer. No expectations for anything. Football was king and everything funneled there with very limited success. Extension given even after a 2016 season that was the worst in 3 decades.
Dwindling attendance and stagnant donor base.

Wish I could have a job 16 and 30 years with no real expectations or pressure to win titles.
That's a very nice gig. Now the landscape has changed. Accountability and program progress are goals.
Change is tough but Marshall was going nowhere under the previous AD.
and tell me, where are they with the current AD?

Moore had a case because Bob Davis (the new HC) cited Moore’s age as a reason to let him go, “Though Davie was free to choose any coach he wanted, he specifically cited Moore's age—64—as a factor in the decision. “ Notre Dame also accused Moore of abusing players and said he presented a negative image of the University. Reading through previous articles, it feels like that was the straw that made him want to sue, and he might not have otherwise.

In terms of what he sued for vs what he got, said “ Moore originally sought $3 million incompensatory damages from the University and Davie, $1 million incompensatory damages from Blue & Gold Illustrated, and $5 millionin punitive damages from the defendants. By contrast, the juryin the trial awarded Moore less than $86,000, plus court costsand legal fees and front pay (if any) to be determined by the judge.

Basically, Smalls doesn’t have much of a case compared to Moore, there’s nothing explicit that says he’s let go for his age, and Marshall isn’t defaming him to further enrage him either. Also how much could he really expect to get from this suit, Notre Dame refused to settle out of court because Moore’s lawyers wouldn’t negotiate, and I believe Marshall could buckle down and ride it out through court, almost guaranteed to be paying less then 6 figures, and most likely they’ll pay nothing.

ND and Moore was all the said she said, just like it would be here. I dont know if Small will sue, but I'd take my chances if I were he. BTW it did cost ND plenty, the Lawyers got close to a Half Million dollars!

Last edited:
People in here complaining about Wags being fired, let me ask you this... How many championships did he win? Same with Small? If Spears doesn't think they are doing their job good enough, he is going to get rid of them. Simple. That's how real life works. If you don't do your job well, you're going to get fired. The only way to never get fired is to make yourself irreplaceable.
real life they have performance reviews etc etc. So if you never had one, couldnt you conclude you were doing what the school wanted. Lets face it, the womens track coach is more like a madam in a whore house, keep the girls happy and the law out. So how many recruiting violations were there? How many compliance issues were there ? I did see lots of headlines where the track participants were going to Med School though. I am sure thats not the kind of MU grad Spears wants, somebody that can think.

Spears very easily could have asked, what are your intentions relative to coaching at Marshall? if he said he wanted to coach until his 90, I could understand Spears not seeing it that way.
or he might have said, I have 1 more year in me, and then I would like to retire. To which Spears could have said ok, take your year and we will announce your retirement and a national search so we have proper time to do it. I dont want to have a search when everyone is hired like I screwed up baseball.

but thats not what happened. He just said you are fired.

Surely AD Spears went out there and fumbled the ball twice within the five yard line at BGSU! Man, you're right, this guy stinks!
what he really needed to do was buy them out of the contract and put U of Charleston on the schedule for another home game, like Lynn Snyder would have done.

real life they have performance reviews etc etc. So if you never had one, couldnt you conclude you were doing what the school wanted. Lets face it, the womens track coach is more like a madam in a whore house, keep the girls happy and the law out. So how many recruiting violations were there? How many compliance issues were there ? I did see lots of headlines where the track participants were going to Med School though. I am sure thats not the kind of MU grad Spears wants, somebody that can think.

Spears very easily could have asked, what are your intentions relative to coaching at Marshall? if he said he wanted to coach until his 90, I could understand Spears not seeing it that way.
or he might have said, I have 1 more year in me, and then I would like to retire. To which Spears could have said ok, take your year and we will announce your retirement and a national search so we have proper time to do it. I dont want to have a search when everyone is hired like I screwed up baseball.

but thats not what happened. He just said you are fired.
It's a damn good thing that men's track isn't about producing med school talent. It is about producing TRACK talent, and winning meets. You my friend, have a loser, participation trophy mindset.

yes please. A new score board Brad probably paid for? please Still losing to Bowling Green
But beating ND, finishing football strong where as the previous coach would have tanked it, like he did so many times.
Hired Beals, hired Stephen's, baseball stadium built. Helped us navigate a new and better league.
An aggressive 10 year facilities and AD plan - something we needed.

I guess my question is, are you still a Marshall fan and supporter or do you just support individuals?

The school is bigger than any one person or persons.

BTW, I consider Hamricks greatest success was hiring Grassie. And that was huge!

what he really needed to do was buy them out of the contract and put U of Charleston on the schedule for another home game, like Lynn Snyder would have done.
Oh yes, let's get rid of a D1 game and replace them with a D2 school when we already play two FCS schools in the same season (which is not spears fault, this happened because we were supposed to play app state OOC)

But beating ND, finishing football strong where as the previous coach would have tanked it, like he did so many times.
Hired Beals, hired Stephen's, baseball stadium built. Helped us navigate a new and better league.
An aggressive 10 year facilities and AD plan - something we needed.

I guess my question is, are you still a Marshall fan and supporter or do you just support individuals?

The school is bigger than any one person or persons.

BTW, I consider Hamricks greatest success was hiring Grassie. And that was huge!
actually I've seen 1 person tear down a school, and quickly. Half the things you mentioned were already in place, the new hires you have no clue how they will do. We have had a 10 yr facility plan for say, the last 20 years.

• Haha
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
actually I've seen 1 person tear down a school, and quickly. Half the things you mentioned were already in place, the new hires you have no clue how they will do. We have had a 10 yr facility plan for say, the last 20 years.
You must be 65. You're the only one rambling on about all of this

Sluggo currently
cry baby GIF

as mentioned when offering ad hominem attacks, you know you got them.
and you probably work from Spears.
I do not know what working "from" someone means, but I definitely do NOT work for spears. I live 17 hours from Huntington, actually.

I do not know what working "from" someone means, but I definitely do NOT work for spears. I live 17 hours from Huntington, actually.
I changed to for. You probably work for some marketing company Spears hired to keep the message boards clean, while hanging out in your Grandma's basement.
is that walking, driving or flying?

I changed to for. You probably work for some marketing company Spears hired to keep the message boards clean, while hanging out in your Grandma's basement.
is that walking, driving or flying?
Lol, I work a completely different school's athletic department actually. But I grew up in Winfield and had season tickets to every ticketed sport for 18 years.

My reasoning with defending spears is because I work in an athletic department and understand how it goes.

Lol, I work a completely different school's athletic department actually. But I grew up in Winfield and had season tickets to every ticketed sport for 18 years.

My reasoning with defending spears is because I work in an athletic department and understand how it goes.
then you should understand that Spears could have handled this differently, correct? That instead of just saying you're fired, he could have had a conversation. That long term employees that have been loyal to a school, should be given some respect. Its the lack of respect that makes me not respect Spears.

then you should understand that Spears could have handled this differently, correct? That instead of just saying you're fired, he could have had a conversation. That long term employees that have been loyal to a school, should be given some respect. Its the lack of respect that makes me not respect Spears.
My thing is, you do not know what happened on the inside. People said the same thing about my school when we fired our mens basketball coach and hired a new one. Change is okay, and change happens a lot in athletics. The name of the game in sports is to win or get replaced. Winning fixes a lot

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Sluggo is for sure an old white racist lol

I rarely agree with sluggo and I don’t understand his stance on this nor agree with it per se. But. This comment is just dumb and uncalled for.

I like to argue, but you are taking it to an unnecessary level.

Rather embarrassing. I’m sorry Sluggo that this guy won’t let you have your opinion. The rest of this debate has been interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: ru4_mu2
I rarely agree with sluggo and I don’t understand his stance on this nor agree with it per day. But. This comment is just dumb and uncalled for.

I like to argue, but you are taking it to an unnecessary level.

Rather embarrassing. I’m sorry Sluggo that this guy won’t let you have your opinion. The rest of this debate has been interesting.
here's my stance, Spears could have done this differently. He didnt have to just say 'you're fired', which is what he did. He could have figured out a way to have him exit gracefully. No matter what he did or didnt do, he still put 30 yrs in at MU, and never caused them any embarrassment. You think they could have come up with something better for him and Marshall.
Its kinda like putting a Green Jacket in a Dollar store bag.
and Thank you BTW.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT