ADVERTISEMENT

Is spears fixing things that don’t need fixed?? Fires track coach

Are you and coach Small dating?

Cause that's the only thing that I could think of as a motivator for you to have put such an effort into something (not sure many of us) would have known about had it not been posted.
what didnt you know about? the fact that MU fired someone with long tenure, and deep ties to the U? When they could have handled this in a much more palatable manner? They did this because Lawyer Spears forgot which side the butter goes on the bread?
it just galls on me the manner this was done.
it surprised me to find out the Spears phoned other social media posters to tell them to stop posting about it, but then I guess thats just the way he rolls.

Reactions: ru4_mu2
what didnt you know about? the fact that MU fired someone with long tenure, and deep ties to the U? When they could have handled this in a much more palatable manner? They did this because Lawyer Spears forgot which side the butter goes on the bread?
it surprised me to find out the Spears phoned other social media posters to tell them to stop posting about it, but then I guess thats just the way he rolls.
Wow!!

Reactions: oldeherd
Lawyer Spears "illegally" fired Coach Small because he did not take into account the legal ramifications?

We all know that Smalls' departure from the MU Head Track & Field position sent "massive" SHOCK WAVES throughout the Division One Collegiate Sports Community!!

Thanks mainly to sluggo, it even registered an impressive .00000000000001 on the Richter Scale in the greater Tri-State area!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: raleighherdfan
No, of course sluggo72 wasn’t in the room when the firing was accomplished, has no earthly idea what was said, and seems to be irrevocably distressed by our 2nd year AD.
Tell ya what ‘72 - when Spears accepts our award for best overall athletics program in the SBC, something MU has never achieved in 186 years, maybe you will reconsider.
Also - Kim Stephens-Caldwell will win 22+ games right outta the box…

NO SBC award for HERD Athletics this year (22-23 season). Won by S. Alabama, followed by JMU, Louisiana, Southern Miss and Texas State at the top. Obviously, MU not in the running, even in Track!!!

We all know that Smalls' departure from the MU Head Track & Field position sent "massive" SHOCK WAVES throughout the Division One Collegiate Sports Community!!

Thanks mainly to sluggo, it even registered an impressive .00000000000001 on the Richter Scale in the greater Tri-State area!!!!
I think you just made my point.thanks

So, to clarify, an underperforming coach that has been here for 30 years (!!!) was fired? Is that accurate? Because that really doesn't seem like something that should piss anyone off.
to Clarify, how does one define underperforming? No one in the AD has ever raised that issue, only you have, and thats through at least 15(?) different Athletic directors.

to Clarify, how does one define underperforming? No one in the AD has ever raised that issue, only you have, and thats through at least 15(?) different Athletic directors.
Success = winning shit. Tell us, how many team and/or individual Championships has ol' Smalls led us to in his 30-year tenure? Second place?

Success = winning shit. Tell us, how many team and/or individual Championships has ol' Smalls led us to in his 30-year tenure? Second place?
I did read the thread
Besides the 15 other AD he worked for seemed comfortable with the level of success
And don’t forget this yr, 5 went to the NCAA preliminaries, like the rd of eight in BB

Last edited:
I did read the thread
Besides the 15 other AD he worked for seemed comfortable with the level of success
And don’t forget this yr, 5 went to the NCAA preliminaries, like the rd of eight in BB
Notice you completely ignored my questions.

As for this year - 5 athletes? Remind me again how many events a track meet consists of? Where did those athletes place?

Sluggo - the horse just called. It confirms its demise, and politely requests you stop beating on it. The neighbors are complaining ……..
In s1uggo's defense, this thread sat untouched for 30 hours (record, right?) and someone gave the horse some magic potion and revived it. Naturally, he's going to respond.

I am not going to read all six pages.

I assume at some point Sluggo was outed as Coach Small?
no not even close, there are plenty of things that need fixed at MU, this shouldnt be at the top of the list, or at least treat the man who has lived thru how many presidents, how many AD's, how many conference changes, how many days without a track, how many days training on 3/4 of a track with some respect.

Notice you completely ignored my questions.

As for this year - 5 athletes? Remind me again how many events a track meet consists of? Where did those athletes place?
I'll remind you of this, men's track had 0 scholarships to offer. When Spears added mens track, he told them no scholarships would be given, hit the portal and recruit the football team?
Women's track does not have a full complement of scholarships, MU just doesnt fund them.
that the entire coaching staff (HC, 3 AC) total salaries do not equal 1 asst coach salary at UGA.
5 sounds like a win to me.

I have been a Marshall student, alumnus and fan since the 60’s. During that time I didn’t realize we had a track and field team let alone a coach. Randy Moss was our track team and I doubt he needed a coach. Since then, even 1993 on, I didn’t realize we had a Track and Field coach. I think he had a great tenure, 30 years, no spotlight, no press, no criticism and n competition for his job. Who would want it? Hey, enjoy your retirement and thank you for your service.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I have been a Marshall student, alumnus and fan since the 60’s. During that time I didn’t realize we had a track and field team let alone a coach. Randy Moss was our track team and I doubt he needed a coach. Since then, even 1993 on, I didn’t realize we had a Track and Field coach. I think he had a great tenure, 30 years, no spotlight, no press, no criticism and n competition for his job. Who would want it? Hey, enjoy your retirement and thank you for your service.
But that’s the bitch,it wasn’t a retirement and you’re correct we didn’t have a men’s team for many yrs

Yes never had one. Never had one w Hamrick never had one with whoever came before MH never had one with who came before that guy
Did Spears suddenly discover that there was an additional person on the payroll?

The Women’s track team has not placed higher than 6th in the conference (indoor or outdoor) since 2012-13, where they placed 12th at the indoor meet and 5th at the outdoor one. This year the women’s team finished 7th at the indoor conference meet and 6th at the outdoor one. The men placed 7th and 10th, respectively.

The Women’s track team has not placed higher than 6th in the conference (indoor or outdoor) since 2012-13, where they placed 12th at the indoor meet and 5th at the outdoor one. This year the women’s team finished 7th at the indoor conference meet and 6th at the outdoor one. The men placed 7th and 10th, respectively.
The women’s track never has been fully funded relative to scholarships
The women’s track has consistently been the top gpa among all the sports. It’s a title ix sport. You know so we can fully scholarship football

Last edited:
The women’s track never has been fully funded relative to scholarships
The women’s track has consistently been the top gpa among all the sports. It’s a title ix sport. You know so we can fully scholarship football
That’s true in most Olympic women’s sports

Reactions: ThunderCat98
no not even close, there are plenty of things that need fixed at MU, this shouldnt be at the top of the list, or at least treat the man who has lived thru how many presidents, how many AD's, how many conference changes, how many days without a track, how many days training on 3/4 of a track with some respect.
Maybe Dick should have donated more money for a full sized track.

• Haha
Reactions: ThunderCat98
Yes never had one. Never had one w Hamrick never had one with whoever came before MH never had one with who came before that guy
Gee, sounds like you know more about Coach Small's long tenure at MU than Mrs. Small!!! Or, perhaps you ARE "Mrs. Small"!!!

Gee, sounds like you know more about Coach Small's long tenure at MU than Mrs. Small!!! Or, perhaps you ARE "Mrs. Small"!!!
will smith mystery GIF

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT