ADVERTISEMENT

So long Wells

You think Huff indicated in his year end meeting with Grant that he was bringing in a transfer and that it would be an open competition? I don’t know why anyone would walk away from a nearly guaranteed starting FBS QB spot.

Three days into the new year and already shaping up to be an interesting one for Marshall athletics.
With Wells leaving, I hope we do everything possible to keep Ali in the fold. Any new quarterback is going to need time to settle into the system and a strong ground game should help in that.

It is diffuclt to lose a 2 year starter at any position let alone QB the most important position on the team.We have no back-up QB. That is what killed us in WKU game.Very few High Schoolers can come in and start at Div I football at any position let alone QB. The Portal is the only logical answer and hope the incoming freshman can provide adequate play and prepare for the following years.These kids are good but this will be a major accomplishment.Maybe we do not know story. Something already in the works

"Scorecards. Scorecards. Get your scorecards. Can't tell the players without a scorecard." (Quote from Berta on 2 and a Half Men)

Reactions: Crawdad345
Green was the starter at Tennessee State in the Spring 2021 season (they didn’t play Fall 2020). Green started 6 games, threw for a little over 900 yards, 2 TD and 2 INT.

He did not play in Fall 2021

You think Huff indicated in his year end meeting with Grant that he was bringing in a transfer and that it would be an open competition? I don’t know why anyone would walk away from a nearly guaranteed starting FBS QB spot.
one that has been contacted and knows he has a spot at another school waiting on his services. that or a a guy giving up FB and I don't think he's giving it up.

It's not about being "happy" that he is gone or even that we didn't like him personally. The reality is that Grant's performance on the field was mediocre at best. This year, his NCAA QBR was 54.5. That ranks him 82nd out of 125 ranked quarterbacks. He had 16 touchdowns against 13 interceptions. Compare that against one of the top quarterbacks, Kenny Pickett, who had 42 touchdowns and 7 interceptions with a QBR of 81.2. If I recall correctly, Grant's QBR ranked him around 60th last year.

As far as I know he is a good kid and I wish him the best but his performance on the field, which is what matters in football, was not at the level we need if we want to win championships.

No.

That did not happen.

According to The Athletic, more than 1,300 players have entered the transfer portal since Aug. 1... Free agency is officially wide open in college football.

Some notable players (starters) who have entered the portal in the last week --
Minnesota's leading rusher
Pitt's best linebacker
Tulsa's starting DT
Notre Dame's punter
... and many many more

Grant Wells needed a good coach to tune him in. Kid had potential (showed some) but had no guidance, which all falls on Cramsey! Time to find a new play caller/QB coach...

Reactions: Herd-in-ATL
Say what you want, but the Transfer Portal is ruining College Athletics
I agree based on what we have seen the past two years... The question is, how to change it now that the cat is out of the bag.

I am fine with guys who graduate from a school leaving with no penalty to play somewhere else... I'm also okay with no-penalty hardship transfers as long as there is a valid reason. What is becoming a circus is the play anywhere you want, any time you want, for any reason, with no penalty or waiting period.

I agree based on what we have seen the past two years... The question is, how to change it now that the cat is out of the bag.

I am fine with guys who graduate from a school leaving with no penalty to play somewhere else... I'm also okay with no-penalty hardship transfers as long as there is a valid reason. What is becoming a circus is the play anywhere you want, any time you want, for any reason, with no penalty or waiting period.
Some schools are talking about making athletes employees of the university. Make them sign a non compete agreement for certain schools(IE you can only transfer down a level or something similiar) or you pay back the tuition that was paid for you. They are going to stop it because it is the wild west.

Maybe add in that if the head coach leaves you can too. It’s hard to tell a kid he has to stay and play for someone that didn’t recruit him and may not be a fit.

There is a zero percent chance that universities will make athletes employees. First, you'd have to pay them for every minute they are required to participate in athletic related activities. Then, they'd be entitled to workers' compensation anytime they were hurt. Third, non-compete agreements are frequently unenforceable. Finally, only one university would be dumb enough to try this because no recruit in his right mind would go there. Everyone else would see what happens and they would avoid it.

There is a zero percent chance that universities will make athletes employees. First, you'd have to pay them for every minute they are required to participate in athletic related activities. Then, they'd be entitled to workers' compensation anytime they were hurt. Third, non-compete agreements are frequently unenforceable. Finally, only one university would be dumb enough to try this because no recruit in his right mind would go there. Everyone else would see what happens and they would avoid it.
You think players want to pay taxes for their
According to The Athletic, more than 1,300 players have entered the transfer portal since Aug. 1... Free agency is officially wide open in college football.

Some notable players (starters) who have entered the portal in the last week --
Minnesota's leading rusher
Pitt's best linebacker
Tulsa's starting DT
Notre Dame's punter
... and many many more
add Oklahoma QB Caleb Williams…….

Some schools are talking about making athletes employees of the university. Make them sign a non compete agreement for certain schools(IE you can only transfer down a level or something similiar) or you pay back the tuition that was paid for you. They are going to stop it because it is the wild west.
The big issue there may be the ability to actually enforce those types of non-compete clauses. If it involved not transferring to another conference school, then that may work. Any kind of a non-compete involving every FBS school nationwide may not be enforceable.

Grant Wells needed a good coach to tune him in. Kid had potential (showed some) but had no guidance, which all falls on Cramsey! Time to find a new play caller/QB coach...
I have to wonder if this wasn't the main catalyst in his decision process to depart? I remember for about 2/3rds of his first season as a starter he looked fantastic. There was national media and Davey O'Brien watch list buzz... The physical tools were there, I just wonder if there wasn't the on staff coaching to take him to the next level? What's the old saying "you can't coach speed, size, and arm strength, but you can make those assets better"

I did just look at Bagent’s Twitter and he is being followed by WKU recruiting and some of their other coaches. Trickett follows him as well.

Marine got banned?? He has always been one of the more sensible posters on the board.

The UNC athletic director has already stated his opinion on it and says he foresees a day that happening. Soooooo. You don't think it is being discussed. He point blank he sees a day where athletes will be employees of the university. Do they pay a professor or other salaried people for every minute they work? Hello exempt employee. Helllo At Will Employment. Don't like it? There's the door. Hmmm we could also make it performance based incentive pay.

do i get paid when I am working on vacation for every minute? Sending emails after hours? Want a bonus? Score three td's this weekend. Score 30 points and get 10 rebounds.

Tweet​

See new Tweets

Conversation​

Brett McMurphy

@Brett_McMurphy

UNC AD Bubba Cunningham said college athletics may be 2-3 years away where student-athletes relationship w/colleges “may be employee & employer”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT