ADVERTISEMENT

The current state of Marshall Basketball

The good ol days with aberdeen, huck and donavan were not so good. Jack isvright. This is not Dan's fault but hevis not getting us players that can help.

The 'good ole days" were much better. I'm talking about from the D'Antoni's on back.We could beat any team in America in those days.Cam Henderson,Ellis Johnson,and Carl Tacy teams were competitive nationally.You are right about the times you spoke of though,the success then reminds me of the football success now.

You are also right about this"Not too many schools are, especially in the G5-type conferences that are
really trying to keep up with the "big boy" conferences in football. I
actually think it's easier for the smaller schools (think Butler,
Gonzaga, Marquette, DePaul, Georgetown, etc.) to support worthy BB
programs by focusing their efforts and resources on BB and just passing
on D-1 football. " . Because of television money,competitive football is not attainable here,unless Bill Gates moves to Huntington.

I don't get this at all.

How does one sport take away from the other? If MU had no football program at all, what "resources" would be freed up to help basketball?

Bleeds, shut up. Did you expect something different? What's he see in the Serbs? A freshman starter for one

4-10 we can't beat a team with a pulse. While no one in their right mind expected huge success. There should be some improvement, you should occasionally pick up wins you didn't expect.

Originally posted by sistersville:
The good ol days with aberdeen, huck and donavan were not so good. Jack isvright. This is not Dan's fault but hevis not getting us players that can help.
Aberdeen and Donavan had moderate success. Huck on the other hand was not only successful but a showman to boot.

If I remember right most people's expectations for this year was 10 wins. 8 to 10 would be about where we end up I think. so why is everyone bitching. Everyone knew it was going to be a painful season. suck it up. It will get better. I have faith. 2 years from now when the right players for the playing style are in the fold will be contenders.

when you get rid of the primadonas and by the way they had the most talent, knew and acted like it, which I have no problem dumping them as they were not team players, you going to have a bad year as we all expected. Anyone who thought coach had a magic wand he could wave and everything would be all better needs to get some perspective.

we all hate losing especially those in the business of sports, players and coaches, but it will get better. Have some faith.

I am a huge fan of Hamrick and the D'Antoni family...my concern is not where our record is but the lack of a buzz about recruiting. His early judge of talent is questionable at best. I can play hard and listen to the coach but I have no business playing D1 basketball so that argument doesn't fly.

He needs to get some Jimmy's and Joe's because they will trump Xs and Os every time. DD needs to show he can get some talent because the good thing is it only takes 2 players to have a huge impact in basketball.

The current state of Marshall hoops - as evidenced by this blowout loss...there is no light at this time at the end of the tunnel.

This post was edited on 1/4 9:25 PM by MARSHALL77

Unfortunately we are going to endure more losses than wins this season. Not Dan's fault. The players who could have helped the team did not want to give what Dan expected of them hence they departed. Credit those who stuck it out. They are getting to play a lot of basketball and that is about all. I'm not sure how much the kids from WV are going to be able to contribute once eligible but anyone who has seen the team play knows just how badly we need a guard to handle the ball and run the show and some scorers IMO.

I watched first hand from 74 to present. Dont wanna be a party pooper but Huck's team beat southern conference teams. I loved the triple overtime over Tennessee C. We had big games against etsu too. Those teams did nothing in the big dance. We have to go back to when Dan and his brother and randy noll played. One year we got a Ky transfer Danny Hall. A eastern ky kid that was 6'10". John Taft provided some excitment as did jason williams. Our best shot was keeping dana altman or billy donavan but no way we had the cash. I remember sitting behind Detroit U's bench and dick vitale was the coach. Greg white almost led us to upset wins over Uncc led by cornbread maxwell and louisville. Stu Aberdeen came here from tennessee. He died of a heart attack. That hurt the program.. Stu, dana and billy the kid were our 3 best coaches since the 70's.
Is DD too old to start something he cant finish?

Permit me to remind some of you....Dan comes from good genes. Uncle Lewis turned 101 a few days ago. DAN IS 67 YEARS YOUNG. To some of you, you may see your own fathers and think...."Damn, my dad is OLD!". Dan is young in energy, spirit, mind....he hopes to outlive many of you youngsters.

For the Love of John Marshall...Dan has been on the job for about six months (give or take a few days).....he is building a new house near Huntington. HE IS HERE FOR THE LONG RUN!

Yet, some of you expect him to make chicken salad out of chicken XXXX......not going to happen this year. He inherited one good player...Taylor. Our team is a hustling bunch playing against experienced teams. WINS will be rare. Had they made a few free throws against Penn State....a victory would have been recorded Championship Night (La. Tech).

Unlike football....all you need is to sign 2-3 talented players, ones that could play at Ky. Duke, UNC, Va........you are a contender overnight. DAN HAS HIGH SCHOOL CONNECTIONS that will recommend their players attend Marshall to (1) receive a degree, (2) Play for a FAIR COACH that will TEACH & ELEVATE their games....show them what it takes to play in the NBA.

"Patience is a virtue, practice it if you can...often found in women...seldom found in man." If the shoe fits wear it.

You need to decide...."Am I going to be a SOLUTION to the PROBLEM....or are YOU going to be THE PROBLEM.

If you can not support the young men we have NOW wearing the Green & White=====Stay Home. If you are a SOLUTION....buy some tickets.....these young men NEED YOU.......NOW.

HerdZilla22 (cuz Gary Sweeney in Charlotte)

Note: I am going to get a call from Dan because he asked me when he took the job to not post on Herd Nation. Too Much DRAMA here. "Dan...I can not sit back & permit some to "dismiss You"...when it is Spring time in your mission to restore HERD Basketball...there are lots of Days remaining with your teachings."

This post was edited on 1/5 8:48 AM by CarolinaHerdzilla

Its a fair question to ask if he is in this for the long haul
Its personel with u gary so u will be biased. I am not. I am however behind him.i take old school over punkschool every day. Its simple. He should have no problem with his ties to bring in a couple prep all americans. Gotta get a big man and prefer a quick big guard. He will not build on what he has
Saying we cant win an naia conference is bad as it gets. Gary when was our last good team?

Not sure if this has been mentioned. DD has to realize that he will not be able to build a team by recruiting players from WV or the Tri state area. The only players he should recruit locally are from Huntington Prep.

I get the "science" behind Dantoni's approach. I get his strategy too, which could be an exciting one. I like the fact he stresses fundamentals, thats core stuff a lot of young players are missing. Still he needs players to fit his system.

One thing about Holliday, he had the connections to go out and get them, I am not certain Dan does. His age and his recruiting connections....I dunno.

Bottom line, it is what it is, and much like Hollidays teams it's going to be at least another year and a half before we know.

If your a hoops fan, it's time to take your eyes off the Ws and Ls and focus on team growth.

Time will tell.

Personally I like his style on the sideline. Wooden never yelled and screamed and his results were pretty good.

Originally posted by CarolinaHerdzilla:
Permit me to remind some of you....Dan comes from good genes. Uncle Lewis turned 101 a few days ago. DAN IS 67 YEARS YOUNG. To some of you, you may see your own fathers and think...."Damn, my dad is OLD!". Dan is young in energy, spirit, mind....he hopes to outlive many of you youngsters.

For the Love of John Marshall...Dan has been on the job for about six months (give or take a few days).....he is building a new house near Huntington. HE IS HERE FOR THE LONG RUN!

Yet, some of you expect him to make chicken salad out of chicken XXXX......not going to happen this year. He inherited one good player...Taylor. Our team is a hustling bunch playing against experienced teams. WINS will be rare. Had they made a few free throws against Penn State....a victory would have been recorded Championship Night (La. Tech).

Unlike football....all you need is to sign 2-3 talented players, ones that could play at Ky. Duke, UNC, Va........you are a contender overnight. DAN HAS HIGH SCHOOL CONNECTIONS that will recommend their players attend Marshall to (1) receive a degree, (2) Play for a FAIR COACH that will TEACH & ELEVATE their games....show them what it takes to play in the NBA.

"Patience is a virtue, practice it if you can...often found in women...seldom found in man." If the shoe fits wear it.

You need to decide...."Am I going to be a SOLUTION to the PROBLEM....or are YOU going to be THE PROBLEM.

If you can not support the young men we have NOW wearing the Green & White=====Stay Home. If you are a SOLUTION....buy some tickets.....these young men NEED YOU.......NOW.

HerdZilla22 (cuz Gary Sweeney in Charlotte)

Note: I am going to get a call from Dan because he asked me when he took the job to not post on Herd Nation. Too Much DRAMA here. "Dan...I can not sit back & permit some to "dismiss You"...when it is Spring time in your mission to restore HERD Basketball...there are lots of Days remaining with your teachings."

This post was edited on 1/5 8:48 AM by CarolinaHerdzilla
Gary, are you sure you have a degree in journalism? Did they teach you in journalism school that in the middle of a rant to capitalize randowm words to make the point clearer?

Also, I for one am a DD fan. But if your "note" at the end of your post is true than I do not have much faith. I would hate to think that DD has time in the middle of basketball season to read Herd Nation and call and reprimand you for posting on it. Cause if he does, we are screwed.

Think about it, in your attempt to make it sound like you two are buddies, you are making him look bad.

LOL

that's rich.

let us know what he says to you when he calls.....

Sig..it is apparent, you & I do not agree on much. No matter my posts, you respond with negative comments. GOING FORWARD....I will attempt TO EDUCATE YOU (Caps---JRN 101 to imply importance).

Gary Sweeney....Page Pitt School of JRN & Mass Communications, BS, 1969. Graduate Assistant, Page Pitt School of JRN & Mass Communications, 1970. Drafted into the ARMY, Summer of 1970, Vietnam 1970-71, MBA, McColl School of Business, Queens University, Charlotte, NC, 2001-2002

You claim to be a DD fan. Yet, you state..."I (Sig) do not have much faith.....I would hate to think that DD has time in the middle of basketball season to read Herd Nation and call and reprimand you (Gary Sweeney) for posting [about him] on it.......cause if he does, we are screwed."

You would be surprised who reads HN? I will not call out their names....I promised I would not.

When Marshall was searching for a replacement basketball coach----I stated that MIKE D. would not be Marshall's next coach....I went on to declare, I doubted Mike would ever serve Marshall as basketball coach. Mike loves coaching in the NBA and I support he will be coaching in the League next season. News to follow when appropriate.

Dan asked me to NOT post anything WE DISCUSS privately on the "drama slanted forum"===Herd Nation. Too many stupid people.

Dan was the BEST selection for Marshall. He has many contacts with high school coaches in America & Europe. Morgan Wooten (DeMatha) is a very close friend. Dan founded the Beach Ball Classic many years ago. Many of those coaches from teams he selected to come to Myrtle Beach are still coaching high school players. He is friends to Mike K (Duke); Coach C (KY); not so friendly to Coach Huggy (WVU). Those guys have a lot of influence where players select to play college ball. College coaches talk to one another all the time. The Kys or Dukes of the world can not accept all players that want to play for them......however, they can INFLUENCE players to attend other schools they can not offer scholarships.

Dan has many friends that read HERD NATION.....they chat from time to time.

Sig...I wonder what you will post to my entry.

Gary HERDZILLA22 Sweeney in Charlotte

Sig..it is apparent, you & I do not agree on much. No matter my posts, you respond with negative comments. GOING FORWARD....I will attempt TO EDUCATE YOU (Caps---JRN 101 to imply importance).

Gary Sweeney....Page Pitt School of JRN & Mass Communications, BS, 1969. Graduate Assistant, Page Pitt School of JRN & Mass Communications, 1970. Drafted into the ARMY, Summer of 1970, Vietnam 1970-71, MBA, McColl School of Business, Queens University, Charlotte, NC, 2001-2002

You claim to be a DD fan. Yet, you state..."I (Sig) do not have much faith.....I would hate to think that DD has time in the middle of basketball season to read Herd Nation and call and reprimand you (Gary Sweeney) for posting [about him] on it.......cause if he does, we are screwed."

You would be surprised who reads HN? I will not call out their names....I promised I would not.

When Marshall was searching for a replacement basketball coach----I stated that MIKE D. would not be Marshall's next coach....I went on to declare, I doubted Mike would ever serve Marshall as basketball coach. Mike loves coaching in the NBA and I support he will be coaching in the League next season. News to follow when appropriate.

Dan asked me to NOT post anything WE DISCUSS privately on the "drama slanted forum"===Herd Nation. Too many stupid people.

Dan was the BEST selection for Marshall. He has many contacts with high school coaches in America & Europe. Morgan Wooten (DeMatha) is a very close friend. Dan founded the Beach Ball Classic many years ago. Many of those coaches from teams he selected to come to Myrtle Beach are still coaching high school players. He is friends to Mike K (Duke); Coach C (KY); not so friendly to Coach Huggy (WVU). Those guys have a lot of influence where players select to play college ball. College coaches talk to one another all the time. The Kys or Dukes of the world can not accept all players that want to play for them......however, they can INFLUENCE players to attend other schools they can not offer scholarships.

That's great and all, but you were very adamant that neither D'Antoni would be the head coach at Marshall.

AR....go back & review my posts.....I NEVER SAID DAN would not coach basketball at Marshall.....I SAID MIKE WOULD NOT!

Gary Sweeney

AR....go back & review my posts.....I NEVER SAID DAN would not coach basketball at Marshall.....I SAID MIKE WOULD NOT!

Gary Sweeney
You did AND YOU WERE called out ON IT by multiple POSTERS.

You said neither of the D'ANTONIS would coach at Marshall.

This post was edited on 1/6 12:19 PM by ARandomHerdFan

Like any good attorney......PROVIDE the old posts by me, where I said.....DAN would not be Marshall's next BB coach....I stated MIKE would not be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should know by now...many posters do not spread THE TRUTH on this drama board......just saying....

Gary in Charlotte

This post was edited on 1/6 12:33 PM by CarolinaHerdzilla

Like any good attorney......PROVIDE the old posts by me, where I said.....DAN would not be Marshall's next BB coach....I stated MIKE would not be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should know by now...many posters do not spread THE TRUTH on this drama board......just saying....

Gary in Charlotte

This man knows absolutely nothing about Marshall sports.

Don't ever listen to a word he says.

Apparently they did not teach reading comphrension at the Page Pitt School. You are taking my comment about "not having faith in DD way out of context. Let's review what I actually said;

Also, I for one am a DD fan. But if your "note" at the end of your post is true than I do not have much faith.

What I am saying is that I do not have faith in him IF YOUR NOTE IS TRUE. That is different than saying I do not have faith in him in general as you implied. If he has time to call you and talk about what is posted on Herd Nation in the middle of the season, then I will lose faith in him.

But you go ahead and take things and spin them out of context to suit your needs.

And boy did you win me over with posting your resumes. NEAT. That had everything to do with the conversation.
rolleye0001.r191677.gif

Super...my friend, know little about my knowledge about HERD sports. I wrote sports for The Parthenon during my time at Marshall (1965-70). I have been a HERD supporter since my senior year (Mt. Hope, WV HS)...I $upport Marshall with my $$$$$....not my MOUTH like you!

You, Anjario, can either become the SOLUTION to Marshall's human wellness...or you can continue to be her PROBLEM & hold her back!

HerdZilla22 (Gary Sweeney) in Charlotte

This post was edited on 1/6 1:05 PM by CarolinaHerdzilla

Note to Sig after Dan & I spoke following the Penn State basketball game.....Gary asked, "How's Van & Morgan".....Dan said "fine!" How's your children Sweeney?"..Gary replied, "excellent." Dan..."Glad you are not posting junk on HN about me." Gary replied....."Dan, I have your back...it is difficult to not comment when folks say negative crap." Dan...."I can fight my own battles...love you, Sweeney." "Love you Dan!"

Not my spin on your words....I report what you said by Dan not having time to chat about this "stupid" opinion forum====Herd Nation.

Glad you approve my body of work & resume. I owe my good life & living to MARSHALL...that's why I designate $$$ to Marshall.

Where do you stand on financial support? Are you a SOLUTION...or a PROBLEM?

Gary [HerdZilla22] in Charlotte

Note to Sig after Dan & I spoke following the Penn State basketball game.....Gary asked, "How's Van & Morgan".....Dan said "fine!" How's your children Sweeney?"..Gary replied, "excellent." Dan..."Glad you are not posting junk on HN about me." Gary replied....."Dan, I have your back...it is difficult to not comment when folks say negative crap." Dan...."I can fight my own battles...love you, Sweeney." "Love you Dan!"

Not my spin on your words....I report what you said by Dan not having time to chat about this "stupid" opinion forum====Herd Nation.

Glad you approve my body of work & resume. I owe my good life & living to MARSHALL...that's why I designate $$$ to Marshall.

Where do you stand on financial support? Are you a SOLUTION...or a PROBLEM?

Gary [HerdZilla22] in Charlotte
No, you spun my words.

Thats great you owe so much to Marshall. So who do you owe your tendancy to threaten people on a message board or buy alcohol for underage kids? Just curious.

Gary in Charlotte

The board does not keep posts older than a couple months, you know that.

I know you said that about Dan, because I was one of the first people to point out that you were wrong.

This post was edited on 1/6 1:27 PM by ARandomHerdFan

to CURIOUS sig....you do know what happened to the "curious cat"......if you are referring to me providing beer to my under aged son (college student) during The HERD's 1992 Div. 1-A Football Championship in Huntington & a girl friend of his...YES, I am guilty. Not sure where you are coming from on the offering of beer to young kids.......????

"Threats to folks on here".....I grew up in a tough environment (Mt. Hope)...always had to defend myself...if the cause presented it. Boxed in the ARMY...... I do not back down to anonymous posters on this forum [it's easy when folks are "shallow" to identify their true names].....I am not a tough guy anymore...but I will stand up to protect my good name to ANYONE!

Understand CURIOUS GEORGE?

Gary Sweeney

RandomFAN...I must have roots in Missouri......PROVE it to me. I NEVER said DD would not be head BB coach at Marshall. I stated....MIKE D WILL NOT BE THE NEXT BASKETBALL COACH FOR THE HERD. He loves coaching in the NBA. PERIOD.

Gary Sweeney in Charlotte

RandomFAN...I must have roots in Missouri......PROVE it to me. I NEVER said DD would not be head BB coach at Marshall. I stated....MIKE D WILL NOT BE THE NEXT BASKETBALL COACH FOR THE HERD. He loves coaching in the NBA. PERIOD.

Apparently, you're too much of a damn coward to ever admit when you're wrong. You know what you said, and it was brought up multiple times by multiple people during that time period.

Based on how you act on here, I can't tell if you have some kind of dementia or you're just a cantankerous old man who likes to act like you're hot shit on a college football message board.

This post was edited on 1/6 3:06 PM by ARandomHerdFan

Piss on you all for giving sweeny a hard time
That is the norm for guys like sweeney and me. Anybody who has followed the herd like sweeney orme half a century you might pay attention.Grammar smack is just being a pussy. Lay of sweeney. Why do herd fans bash their own? Some herd fans think too highly of themselves.

People treat some herd fans like shit! Sweeney pay them no mind. Grammar smack and call somebody a pussy. Lol

I grew up in a tough environment (Mt. Hope)...
We used to kick Mt Hope's butt, except in basketball, due to Big Earl being on the team. They also had Rex Penn who was pretty damn good, but at only 6' 4", he looked small standing next to Earl.

Signed,

FHS Pirates

PS - Drank some beers over at the redneck bar a few times with Lonnie Warrick. He was great friends with a couple of the old geezers I hung out with - Punk Spangler and Jackie Pittman. Do you remember when the Charleston Rockets had a semi pro football team? That was some wild times.

MH you remember the charleston gunners? Todd May from Virgie like big earl was a nba pick that didnt wanna travel.
Michael Grahmn'sp" from national champions georgetown was on that team.

to CURIOUS sig....you do know what happened to the "curious cat"......if you are referring to me providing beer to my under aged son (college student) during The HERD's 1992 Div. 1-A Football Championship in Huntington & a girl friend of his...YES, I am guilty. Not sure where you are coming from on the offering of beer to young kids.......????

"Threats to folks on here".....I grew up in a tough environment (Mt. Hope)...always had to defend myself...if the cause presented it. Boxed in the ARMY...... I do not back down to anonymous posters on this forum [it's easy when folks are "shallow" to identify their true names].....I am not a tough guy anymore...but I will stand up to protect my good name to ANYONE!

Understand CURIOUS GEORGE?

Gary Sweeney
No, what happened to the curious Sig? I am curious to know.

One thing to defend yourself, another thing to make bodily threats to someone like you did to me a few months back. No one threatened you. You went all batshit and started the threats. I aslo remember you threatening rifle the same way a few years back.

As for the underage alcohol, I am referring to the time you did that at Connies. That was about 5 years or so ago. That was when I was going to meet you there a night before a ballgame (thought you were ok). Saw Connie irst and she was upset at you serving alcohol to minors off a keg you bought. Think you were having a party in the upstairs roon.

RandomFAN...I must have roots in Missouri......PROVE it to me.
Umm Gary. Missouri is the "Show me State", not the "prove it to me State"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT