ADVERTISEMENT

The current state of Marshall Basketball

I'm hoping that DD experiment works out and he can rebuild the basketball program. But IMO, I still would have liked to seen Marshall go after a coach like Crutchfield at West Liberty. Or even someone with great recruiting ties like Rob Fulford.

It's been repeated on here that DD has great ties in Europe and in the high school ranks in the US. Maybe he will make a couple of big splashes with this first full recruiting class.

zilla must we have to endure once again your defense of yourself and relation to Danny? Like Truman once said "If you cant stand the heat stay out of the kitchen!"

Oh yes at Connie's restaurant. Curious Sig, I was in charge of a Kappa Alpha Order Reunion Party in 2009. I arrived late because I played in the HERD Baseball Golf outing at Sleepy Hollow. When I arrived, Connie brought to my attention, under aged Pledges (KA) were drinking beer from a keg in the upstairs area she provided for us----the Keg Connie purchased---I did not purchase a keg!!!

I informed the current President of Kappa Alpha..."This must stop!" I followed up by approaching each Pledge to inform them they could get Connie shut down!!!!

TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT. I approached the Pledges three (3) more times.....quit drinking beer or get out! I explained Connie could lose her license if a State Agent saw them. I approached them THREE TIMES......since they would not abide by the Rules...I asked all of them to LEAVE. Some of them were angry with my dismissal actions!

Before you continue to make an ass out of yourself.....GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT. Should you know any KA's that attended our Reunion.....ask them WHAT ACTION I TOOK!

I accept your apology for smearing my GOOD NAME while you report non-factual information! That's called SLANDER!

Gary Sweeney in Charlotte

This post was edited on 1/7 2:17 AM by CarolinaHerdzilla

bbneutral......You Can be the SOLUTION or you can be the PROBLEM....I see you as a problem. My suggestion.....once you see CAROLINAZILLA has posted.....DON'T click on & read what I have to say.

This way you will not have to "endure me" defend Dan or myself to several stupid people that populate this free forum.

Going forward.......Thanks for ignoring my posts.

Happy in Charlotte====HerdZilla22 (Gary Sweeney)

"Understanding the spirit of our institutions to aim at the elevation [/I]of men, I am opposed to whatever tends to degrade them." [/I]May 17, 1859 Letter to Theodore Canisius....by ABE LINCOLN.

Two can play the quote game....your move?

Marshall 77...I have a solution to Marshall's basketball Problem. Walk into Dan's office & inform him you're there to take over his job. Inform Dan you are well versed & tested at "RELOADING to BUILD a Program........not waiting on the future!

Some of you "want-to-be-coaches...that hide behind a computer screen are clueless!

HerdZilla22 (Gary Sweeney) in Charlotte

MichiganHerd.......we owned the Pi-RATS during my era---even on your looooong Memorial Fieldhouse basketball floor. My senior year (1965).....Mustangs 19----Fayetteville Pi-RATS 0.......We lost to Oak Hill in the Little Brown Jug tilt, 13-0 & to New Martinsville Magnolia...15--7 in the WV State AA Football Championship.

Yes, I remember the Charleston Rockets.....they were fun to follow.

Earl Jones came later. Speaking of Punk Spangler......Frank finally retired from coaching football this season. He was a legend & it's sad when the "Old Pack" grows old & has to leave The Pack. I was with Lonnie Warwick last October in Mt. Hope during Jubilee Weekend.....We drank a few beers together until his "kitchen pass" ran out and his lady...told him to get home! He climbed on his Golf Cart & sped away into the sunset. True story!

Lonnie (Sam to me) was inducted (for the second time) into our MHHS Hall of Fame, along with members of the Mustang's 1959 & 1960 WV State AA Football Champions.

For sure, growing up in Fayette County provided us some wild times. We hung out at Beckwith swimming pool a lot.....and we held the Sweeney-Cottle Reunion there many times. No drinking permitted...lots of good food & gospel music.

HerdZilla22 (Gary Sweeney) in Charlotte

This post was edited on 1/7 2:51 AM by CarolinaHerdzilla

Mt Hope was definitely tough back in the 60's with the Warrick boys and a host of others. They also fielded a good team in the late 90's when the Newsom kid led them to the single A title.

One things for sure though, when you were out on the town with Sam and Punk, nobody was going to mess with you. Is Sam's Place still open? I drove through Mt Hope during the holidays and that place is pretty much dead.

Mt Hope is combined into Oak Hill High School, but it's still a small AAA school. I wish the locals would go ahead and approve a new high school, and consolidate the rest of the plateau schools into it (Fayetteville and Midland Trail), and maybe let Meadow Bridge cross the county line and consolidate into Greenbrier West. That would make for a nice sized AAA school, bringing in 600 or so more students, and they would be a formidable team to be reckoned with.

Originally posted by CarolinaHerdzilla:
Sig..it is apparent, you & I do not agree on much. No matter my posts, you respond with negative comments. GOING FORWARD....I will attempt TO EDUCATE YOU (Caps---JRN 101 to imply importance).

'84 grad of the J-school here. Your writing could be used as an example of what NOT to do. Too much of everything, and inconsistent throughout. Excessive CAPS, ellipses, shifting back and forth between caps, bold, italics and underline. Weren't you ever taught that this constant use of over-emphasis merely diminishes it?

I hate to be the grammar police (yeah, it's just a message board, but what's the point if folks can't understand what you're trying to say), but you are constantly claiming what a great writer you are. Nope, sorry, you're not. Your stuff reads like the lunatic rantings of a crazy old man.

Don't get me wrong, though, it's funny and entertaining and I don't want you to stop. But don't claim you're a great writer. My professors would have flunked you out of school for this kind of stuff.

Reactions: 19MU88
Nope, not the way it happened. You allowed the pledges to drink and told people you did not think it was a big deal. I remmber exactly how it happend.

Reactions: 19MU88
Nope, not how it happened. You allowed the pledges to drink. You were approached and asked to put a stop to it and you did not think there was anything wrong with it. I was there. I was planning to meet you that night as we arranged from here. But your handling of that situation changed my mind.

By the way, as a Sig Ep alum, thanks for the great house your guys lost.

flair....it is apparent you don't read a lot. I know the rules of JRN 101. I express myself by using CAPS (hell, some folks USE CAPS FOR EVERYTHING [drives me nuts]. I was making a point to asswipe SIG, a LIAR no doubt......to try to get a point across.

You hate to be a grammar policeman? You would have fooled all of us!

"you are CONSTANTLY CLAIMING what a great writer you are".....what the hell are your talking about? I have never claimed to be a great writer. I will claim that people enjoy reading my posts or they would not reply!

Class of 84? I will be sure to call my good friends, Ralph Turner & George Arnold to determine what a GREAT JRN STUDENT you were. BTW, I have been invited to speak to JRN classes at Marshall. HAVE YOU?

flair....it is apparent you don't read a lot. I know the rules of JRN 101. I express myself by using CAPS (hell, some folks USE CAPS FOR EVERYTHING [drives me nuts]. I was making a point to asswipe SIG, a LIAR no doubt......to try to get a point across.

"you are CONSTANTLY CLAIMING what a great writer you are".....what the hell are your talking about? I have never claimed to be a great writer. I will claim that people enjoy reading my posts or they would not reply!

Class of 84? I will be sure to call my good friends, Ralph Turner & George Arnold to determine what a GREAT JRN STUDENT you were. BTW, I have been invited to speak to JRN classes at Marshall. HAVE YOU?

i guess you missed the day in jrn 101 when they taught you how to close parenthesis, the proper use of the ellipsis, or the difference between you/your.

MARSHALLSIG...this is my LAST reply to your stupidity. You are full of crap. YOU ARE THE BIGGEST LIAR on our dear plantet. You know nothing of my actions the night of our KA REUNION. Since you claim to be a Sig Ep....why were you invited to our party?

I suppose you were there to check on your children.
In our day, when we kicked the living sh*t out of the patsy Sig Eps in everything (intramural sports, GPA, Mothers Day Sing....drum roll....."stealing your women")....we had a TOAST to your RED Vested soft guys.

A Toast to Sig Ep Ladies....may they ALL have KA Babies.

Good bye dumb ass!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

herdit44...I confess.....I did miss that day. I was with your Lady at The UL & later the Holiday Inn......he he he

HerdZilla22 (Gary Sweeney)

Dr. Turner was the man. So was Dr. Arnold, but Dr. Turner was on another level.

MichiganHerd....Sam's place is closed. However, his sister has a couple of bars located in or near Mt. Hope. Susie's Place is on Main street.

I recall Sam was the the "baddest guy" in Fayette County, even as a high school student. Legend tells he was beaten up ONLY one time. Some troopers (WV State Police) arrested him during his high school days. They took him to Beckley to lock Sam up. I would bet the elevator was one bloody mess....several troopers beat his ass in the elevator and his face showed it.

You are Correct...NOBODY messed with Sam & Punk Spangler. Both were Golden Gloves Champions in high school and later.

I will share a Lonnie "Sam" Warwick story that included me. Sam was playing for the NFL Vikings at the time. He came to Mt. Hope for a visit. Several friends & I were partying at The Beckley Supper Club (a college hangout at the time) during Christmas break (1969) from college. A tough guy from Oak Hill named Skitter S. was bragging "he was the NEW King of the Jungle" since Sam was in the NFL. Sam & some of his high school buddies came in. Sam approached me saying, "Sweeney, I want you to go over and sucker punch Skeeter....I will come over & beat him near to death." My reply to Sam, "Are you nuts.....I still live here, Skeeter is one bad dude, he would kill me once you return to Minnesota". Sam said "Ok". He walked over and delivered one loud punch to Sheeter's head. "Down Goes Frazier...oops Skeeter". They carried Skeeter out on a stretcher and delivered him to a Beckley hospital.

When I visited Sam recently (October), the first thing I said to him during lunch at the Lions Club...."You big OLD SOB...I can now kick your ass!" He laughed, flexed his muscles, and said....."Sweeney, I can still play with some of those sissy boys in the NFL...and furthermore.....I would kick your ass to Kingdom Come." I agreed with Sam. He gave me a big bear hug and we exchanged information about family & such.

Sam Warwick continues to help a lot of needy kids in the Mt. Hope area. He remains a giant of a man...with a soft heart. He will always be one of my heroes.

Gary Sweeney (HerdZilla22) in Charlotte

Great post bbneutralfan......the remaining players are buying into DD's system and giving it what they can. It will take some time, but once he gets his players into Huntington, I predict Marshall will become a household name. Dan commented about the good fortune of his friend, Greg Marshall @ Wichita State..."if the Shockers can make it to the Final Four...why not Marshall?"

I hope God grants me time to witness The HERD in the Final Four......we are holding Dan to his word.

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte

This post was edited on 1/7 3:59 PM by CarolinaHerdzilla

Yes Chris, Ralph was The Man. Sadly, his health is not good. I tried to contact Ralph during Homecoming. No luck. George Arnold resides less than an hour from Charlotte in Lancaster, SC. I need to visit him.

Chris...are you from the Beckley--Mt. Hope area?

Sweeney in Charlotte

Yes Chris, Ralph was The Man. Sadly, his health is not good. I tried to contact Ralph during Homecoming. No luck. George Arnold resides less than an hour from Charlotte in Lancaster, SC. I need to visit him.

Chris...are you from the Beckley--Mt. Hope area?

Sweeney in Charlotte
Nope. Born and raised in northern VA.

MichiganHerd......Rifle (Ryan) is busy coaching college football in Florida. He makes a lot of sense...I will give him credit. Lots of folks on HN, other than me, enjoy busting his chops. However, Ryan is pretty smart and well versed on most subjects. You better bring your "A" game when challenging Ryan. But, it is still FUN for me to debate him. His problem is when he brings my Family into his posts. FAMILY is off limits.

You ever visit family in Fayetteville? I am Face Book buddies with Kay (Taggert) Bess. We dated some during college.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Oh, a Yankee Herd graduate....he he. Chris....You follow the Hokies or Cavs? I cheer for the Hokies (own a hat) in football...swing to UVa (own a hat too) during basketball. I think Coach Bennett is a great basketball coach. He played for the "old" Hornets during his NBA days in Charlotte.

Sweeney in Charlotte (it's COLD)

I go back to Fayetteville 2 or 3 times a year, and yes I know who she is. I know pretty much everybody there, and did before I left in the early 80's. Now that the river rats have infiltrated the town, I probably don't know half the people that live there. My old man hated the river rat crowd, and many others that grew up there don't like them much either, but I'm okay with them. Without them, Fayetteville would probably be a ghost town like so many other Southern West Virginia communities.

Mt Hope was always the meanest town though. I always hated to play ball over there, whether it was football or basketball. The old theater or auditorium was very intimidating, especially since you had to enter the floor through a trap door on the gym floor. Outside of Mullens, playing in Mt Hope was probably the toughest. Back in its heyday, there was nothing like playing an away basketball game down in Mullens. Place was loud, packed, and you knew you were going to get run out of the gym before you even stepped off the bus.

This post was edited on 1/7 4:12 PM by MichiganHerd

MARSHALLSIG...this is my LAST reply to your stupidity. You are full of crap. YOU ARE THE BIGGEST LIAR on our dear plantet. You know nothing of my actions the night of our KA REUNION. Since you claim to be a Sig Ep....why were you invited to our party?

I suppose you were there to check on your children.
In our day, when we kicked the living sh*t out of the patsy Sig Eps in everything (intramural sports, GPA, Mothers Day Sing....drum roll....."stealing your women")....we had a TOAST to your RED Vested soft guys.

A Toast to Sig Ep Ladies....may they ALL have KA Babies.

Good bye dumb ass!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte
You never did tell me what happens to the curious? I really want to know.

You know nothing of my actions the night of our KA REUNION.
HerdZilla22 in Charlotte
Really?

How did I even know that night happened and that you were there?

How did I know when and where it was?

How did I know there was an issue with underage drinking?

It seems that I know a lot about that night especially since I am the one that brought it up. So if I knew all of above, how far of a stretch is it that I know some of your actions. Because I was there. I talked to Connie. I know she had to say something to you about serving underage kids. And I know you saw nothing wrong with it.

Oh, a Yankee Herd graduate....he he. Chris....You follow the Hokies or Cavs?
Neither, actually.

Hokie fans around here are like WVU fans - 90% of them have no connection to the school. I almost went to Tech, though.

I don't mind UVA and sort of root for them in basketball but I've never felt strongly about them either way in football. They're always sort of just there.

No, I haven't been invited back to speak to MU JRN classes. I am not in the JRN profession, and have little contact with the school. Wasn't a great student either. Too busy doing other things to focus on school at that time. But I can write in an easily understood manner.

You contradict yourself alot. Although you say you haven't claimed to be a great writer, every time someone challenges your writing/posting style, you throw out "JRN 101" repeatedly. I couldn't begin to count the number of times you have done this. I read all the time, and you can't write for shit. If you could get your point across using, I don't know, actual words maybe, then you wouldn't have to constantly over-emphasize things.

Your posts are simply bizarre. And I know I'm not the only one who has brought this up.

But like I said, don't stop, because you are funny.

Let me say this. This thread was not meant to call out Dan. I like Dan and one thing he has done is have these jids play with high effort and fight from start to finish unlike the pouting display we saw the last two years.

I am poing to the overall state of the the basketball program. It's beem 27 years since we made an NCAA tournament.

There just doesn't seem to be as much dedication to basketball as football. It's a lot easier to be good in basketball than football.

You need less moving parts amd the little guy can be king. You don't have to be UK or Duke or UNC to get in. You can be Gonzaga and become a #1 seed. A school with around 7,000 students and an endowment not much bigger than ours. You can be a Butler, a VCU, or George Mason.

68 teams make thr NCAA Tournament. What has Marshall been doing for 27 years?

Look at the difference in trajectories of football and basketball? In 1987 on took off and the other fell off of a cliff.

You can say Marshall won 20 games or we were right in this or right in that. Hey we beat this team or that team. Fact is Marshall's last conference conference tournament championship was won in 1987. Our last regular season championship was 1988.

It seems like we are always tryung to get by with the hometown discount or the most bang for the buck. That doesn't win anything.

Greg White was kept far too long. I don't care that he played here. He didn't get it done. Jump on me if you want but brfore you do please point to his conference championship banners that hang in the Herderson Center rafters.

Ron Jirsa never should have been hired. It was just trying to get e decent at best coach for no money. I remember when he first got here and at Thundering Madness he was so wrapped up in the crowd learning certain cheers. Coach the team man we will worry about the ancillary stuff later.

Donnie was decent I will give you that but he couldn't get this team to perform in the post season. He front loaded schedules with sisters of the poor and his teams crumble down the stretch. He's doing the same at UCF.

Tom Herrion never should have been hired. We should never hire a coach thst was fored based on performance. What he did at CoC is exactly what he did here. Took a talented team and rsn it into the ground with selfish players with piss poor character. The man is best known for two things. Getting hit in the eye with a quarter and faking a heart attack from an inadvertent elbow.

Dan we don't know yet. Has a fire for thr game and the university. Has his players fighting to the end. Coaching won't be Dan's downfall. He can do that. Recruiting will make or break Dan.

What drives me crazy is hoe many excuses people give the basketball program. Excuses that would never fly with football.

Think of football took the same path. Let's say Marshall's dedication fell off after Billy left. So that would be following 1995-96 season. Since the the hires haven't turned out so well.

Now let's pretend Pruett left after 1996 to take a bigger job and apply the basketball records to football for the regular seasons.

1997: 7-4, 5-3
1998: 4-7, 3-5
1999: 6-5, 5-3
2000: 8-3, 5-3
2001: 7-4, 5-3
2002: 5-6, 3-5
2003: 6-6, 4-4
2004: 5-7, 4-4
2005: 3-9, 1-7
2006: 5-7, 3-5
2007: 5-7, 4-4
2008: 6-6, 4-4
2009: 6-6, 4-4
2010: 8-4, 6-2
2011: 8-4, 5-3
2012: 7-5, 5-3
2013: 5-7, 3-5
2014: 4-8, 2-6

We can go back and forth on the numbers on which season of basketball lines up with which season of football but using winning percentages from basketball this is how football would have looked.

These boards would be in full metldown mode. There would be no bowl win and no conference championships if you keep the basketball trend.

Even Dan said the basketball program has been badly neglected over the years and that things Marshall should have we don't and they haven't been considered.

Hamrick and those before him talk about competing in basketball at a high level and wanting to play for championships and be a NCAA tournament team. Yet there isn't much done to do that. Not like football.

Hey if a football school is what Marshall is then fine. If we just hope that basketball can throw something together than fine. However don't talk the talk of being as good in basketbalk and not walking the walk.

Time will tell on Dan. Coaching I like him a lot. Recruiting I have been less than impressed. What in the world did he see in these Serbs? Don't give me they are improving. Sure they will improve but in respect to what? To win some games? Sure. To win conference championships? No. And like someone else pointed out buikding a team off of WV and tri-state talent won't cut it either.

Our goal is for Marshall football to be in or contending for the Access Bowl and contending for the conference championshop each amd every season.

Well if we want the same for basketball that means our goal is to be in the race for the regular season championship, playing in the conference tournament final every season, and being in the NCAA Torunament more often than not and if we miss the NCAA's we're in the NIT. So we need to invest in the same way.

Hamrick did everything possible to get Doc all he asked for. We have not got that impression for Dan. Dan gave a list of things he needed and from what I've heard they aren't being met with the same ferver.

Marshall current administrative commitment to basketball is the equivalent of just hoping to make a bowl at 6-6 every few years.

In November, Dan signed a kid who averaged 4 points a game

I am not sure how you can invest confidence in the man's rebuilding skills from such a recruit

Not smack talk. Programs simply dont rebuild on that kind of a signing

Luckily coaches don't recruit by stats. The kid you're referring to is averaging 9.6 so far this year which is 2nd on the team to the kid going to Louisville.

If you knew your boy Huggins like you tell everyone you do you would know the #1 he says when he looks at at, and many coaches believe in a prospective player is his footwork and his hands. He says that's rule #1, if they have good footwork and can handle the ball he can get them to score and rebound.

Originally posted by KeatonsCorner:

In November, Dan signed a kid who averaged 4 points a game
Even if that was true, that's still 2.3 points a game more than you averaged your senior year playing for the Cougs.

But yet.......you became irate when Marshall didn't offer you a spot to walk on, and have been a Herd hater ever since.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT