ADVERTISEMENT

Former Michigan House speaker admits he took bribes as head of state’s medical marijuana licensing board

The former head of Michigan’s medical marijuana licensing board and former state House speaker admitted to taking more than $110,000 in bribes to help businesses get medical marijuana licenses, according to a plea agreement filed in federal court.

Rick Johnson, 70, agreed to plead guilty to the felony charge of accepting a bribe, admitting he acted “corruptly,” according to the agreement.

CNN has reached out to Johnson’s attorney, Nick Dondzila, for comment.

Johnson served as the chair of the licensing board from 2017 to 2019 and previously served as the state House speaker from 2001 to 2004, according to state records.

Johnson, and three other individuals who were charged related to the case, have agreed to cooperate with the FBI and the US attorney’s office in the investigation, according to the US attorney’s office.

“Public corruption is a poison to any democracy,” US Attorney for the Western District of Michigan Mark Totten said in a news release. “Those who wield the power of state have a sacred obligation to serve the people they represent. But when a government official takes a bribe, they spurn that solemn duty – in favor of the connected, the crooked, and ultimately themselves.”

Johnson faces a maximum of 10 years in prison and a fine of $250,000 and must repay the $110,200 that he received in cash payments and benefits, according to the plea agreement.

If Johnson fully cooperates, the US attorney’s office may file a motion to reduce his sentence, according to the plea agreement.

10 Players Marshall Should Target in the Portal

I’m not expert analyst, but here are 10 players (plus 3 other ones that are worth a look) that Marshall

Some of this may be a bit “wish list” type material, but it makes for good conversation 🤷‍♂️

Players to Offset The Loss of Kinsey

Anthony Selden (Gardner Webb - 6’6 and 220 - SF) averaged 11.5 PPG, 4.4 RPG, 0.9 APG in 27.4 MPG on 48.3% shooting and 29.9% from 3. He’d come in and likely start at the 3 and would compensate for about half or more of Kinsey’s lost scoring and then Fricks/Handlogten/Connor/McKey or another newcomer would compensate for the rest. He had 51 blocks+steals in 31 GP (30 GS) last year, had 14 points (42.6% shooting), 11 rebounds, 5 blocks, and an assist against NCCU, arguably his most complete game of the year. He also dropped 22 points on 75% shooting against USC Upstate, he had 8 games with 15+ points on 50%+ shooting (in 6 of the 8, he shot 50%+ from 3) and 3 games with 20+ points on 58%+ shooting. He has 2 years remaining, but is also a Grad Transfer.

Login to view embedded media

Marko Maletic (Long Island - 6’6 and 208 - SG) averaged 15.9 PPG, 3.1 RPG, and 1.0 APG in 28.5 MPG, while shooting 43% from the field and 38.8% from beyond the arc. LIU lists him a sophomore last season. Imagine Taylor, Curfman, and Maletic on the floor at the same time, that’s 3 players who shot 36%+ from 3 last season, then you put OAK and Handlogten in the paint, who’s gonna stop that offense? At 6’6 208,he is an inch taller and 18 pounds heavier than Kinsey, so I feel he’d be able to adequately play the 3 from a size perspective. He could play the 3 next year and give Connor another year to develop, and then after Curfman graduates, we can move him to the 2 and start Connor at the 3. Had a a career high 22 against Marquette early last season and then broke that with a 33 point game against JMU. ’m unsure of his eligibility situation, as his road to get here is full of twists and turns. I believe he would have 2 or 3 years left, which obviously fits Dan’s mold of avoiding 1 and Done’s. An article if you’d like to read about his journey.

https://www.gamedaylondon.com/stories/maletic-where-he-belongs-getting-shot-in-division-i-hoops

Sean Durugordon (Austin Peay - 6’5 and 220 - SF) averaged 12.4 PPG, 6.0 RPG, and 0.9 APG in 28.4 MPG on 39.5% shooting from the field and 31% from 3. I think Sean struggled trying to do too much on a bad Austin Peay team, similar to Kinsey in 2021, Durugordon was the team’s leading score and rebounder in 2022. He was a 3 star recruit out of high school and originally played at Missouri. I think with some of the crazy shots he and Andy Taylor make that they’d get along pretty well. The issue with
him coming in is that they both have 3 years of eligibility left and unless one of them changes position, it could bury Connor on the depth chart for his career if he can’t beat him out.

https://www.rockmnation.com/platfor...ng-from-new-york-commits-to-mizzou-basketball

Gerald Drumgoole Jr (Albany - 6’6 and 205 - SF) averaged 15.7 PPG, 5.2 RPG, and 2.5 APG on 37.2% shooting and 34.3% from 3 in 33.4 MPG. He also averaged 1.2 SPG and shot 80.4% from the line. He attempted 230 3’s last year, which would be 2nd highest on the team, behind Curfman. He dropped 27 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, and a steal on 53% shooting and 55% from 3 against Vermont and then 29 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, and 2 steals against NJIT on 40% shooting. He also had 4 steals against Union (D2). Hopefully by being surrounded by better shooters, he’ll be more thoughtful when it comes to his shot selection and will be more efficient, as well as increasing his assist numbers. Drumgoole started his career at Pitt and is still followed by Spears on social media, he will be a grad transfer next year, and will only have one year of eligibility remaining.

Rotational Guards/Future Candidates to Start at the 1 and 2

Tyeree Bryan (Charleston Southern - 6’6 and 208 - SG) averaged 10.5 PPG, 5.5 RPG, and 1.8 APG in 31.4 MPG while shooting 45.2% from the field and 42.1% from 3. He could fill a role similar to Early’s last year, and also allow us to have another guard who shots 3’s at a high clip in the rotation. Next year, he could start at the 2, he might be a tougher get, given that he can probably go somewhere else and start instantly. But between the record we had last year (I doubt many are breaking down the schedule), the loyalty Dan shows to his players, and an offense where the green lights never end have to be appealing. Bryan has 2 years of eligibility remaining. - After writing this I saw that we have reached out already, but I’ve already typed this out soooo

Bobby Pettiford Jr (Kansas - 6’1 and 190 - PG) averaged 2.2 PPG, 1.2 RPG, and 1.3 APG in 12.1 MPG on 53.4% from the field and 3-10 from deep. Pettiford played limited minutes due to a deep guard rotation of Gradey Dick (Projected Top 10 Pick), Kevin McCullar Jr (2nd Team Big XII), and Dajuan Harris Jr (BIG XII DPOY), the limited minutes available he spilt with Joseph Yesufu (12.7 MPG, 4.1 PPG, 1.2 RPG, 0.4 APG on 36.7% from the field and 28% from 3). I picked Pettiford over Yesufu because Pettiford was the more efficient shooter, seems to be a more complete player, and has more remaining eligibility. Pettiford was a Sophomore last year and has 2 years of eligibility remaining, whereas Yesufu was a senior and has his COVID year remaining. I also feel Pettiford is the more realistic candidate for coming here because he would come in and see similar or increased minutes, as the loss of Kinsey, Early, Goran, and Saernac accounts for ~19% of all minutes played last year, barring any more transfers out. He could then potentially start after Taylor graduates next year, like David Early was likely supposed to do.

Trey Bonham (Florida - 6’0 and 170 - PG) averaged 5.6 PPG, 1.8 RPG, and 1.1 APG in 13.4 MPG on 36.9% from the field 32.9% from 3. Bonham entered the portal this year as a grad transfer (2 years left), he started his career playing at VMI with Curfman. During the 2021-22 season at VMI, he averaged 13.6 PPG, 4.4 RPG, 4.0 APG, and 1.3 SPG in 27.4 MPG on 47.8% from the field and 34.8% from 3. His freshman year at VMI he shot 40.4% from. Maybe this get is k unlikely because he’s probably transferring since he wants to start again, but I’d like to think that Curfman would help sway him. Since he has two years of eligibility left, he would likely get to start his senior year. He would give us a reliable 3rd option at guard for games when Curfman and Taylor go cold and/or as insurance for injury. He has two years to play.

Note: I did have another former VMI player here, Tony Felder Jr, but he has committed elsewhere. Surprisingly, he committed to Stonehill (D2)), last season as a true freshman he averaged 10.5 PPG, 2.1 RPG, and 3.2 APG.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...ll-guard-trey-bonham-entering-transfer-portal

Any A-Holes on here own a Honda Ridgeline?

Been looking at many small trucks to buy, and the Ridgeline seems to be the best small truck today, particularly when it comes to smooth riding like an SUV. Downside is towing capacity and no off-road capability, due to 7" clearance. Figure neither is an issue for me, since it can tow up to 5,000 lbs, and only time I would need to go off-road would be if the police was chasing me.

Stormy Daniels ordered to pay Trump team another $120,000 in legal fees

CNN — Three thousand miles away from his New York legal drama, Donald Trump secured a substantial victory in another court.
The 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals sided with the former president in his effort to recoup additional legal fees from adult film star Stormy Daniels, who had filed and lost a defamation suit against him.
Daniels was ordered to pay Trump’s attorneys just over $120,000 in legal fees. That’s on top of the more than $500,000 in court-ordered payments to Trump attorneys she’s already been ordered to pay.

The civil litigation is officially unrelated to Trump’s arrest and charges filed against him in New York, but both involved Daniels, who was paid $130,000 in hush money during the 2016 presidential campaign to keep quiet about an affair. (Trump denies the affair.)

Daniels had sued Trump in 2018 after he called an allegation by Daniels that an unknown man threatened her in a parking lot to keep quiet about her alleged affair with Trump a “total con job” in a tweet.

Dismissing the lawsuit in October 2018, District Judge S. James Otero said Trump’s statement was protected by the First Amendment.

“The Court agrees with Mr. Trump’s argument because the tweet in question constitutes ‘rhetorical hyperbole’ normally associated with politics and public discourse in the United States. The First Amendment protects this type of rhetorical statement,” Otero wrote at the time.

Otero later ordered Daniels to pay roughly $293,000 in legal fees. She was also ordered to pay $245,000 in fees after losing another appeal.

Daniels, whose legal name is Stephanie Clifford, had asked the appeals court to knock down another award. The court declined her request.

“Clifford’s argument that the fee request is unreasonable and excessive is not well-founded,” the 9th Circuit filing stated.

“Trump’s attorneys reasonably spent the requested 183.35 hours preparing a motion to dismiss, a reply to the opposition to the motion, two extension motions, the answering brief, and the fee application,” it added.

Trump attorney Harmeet Dhillon celebrated the ruling in a tweet Tuesday, saying: “Congratulations to President Trump on this final attorney fee victory in his favor this morning. Collectively, our firm obtained over $600,000 in attorney fee awards in his favor in the meritless litigation initiated by Stormy Daniels.”

Reactions: SamSwimmer

NCAA women's bball

It's not very often I will tell you to watch a college women's game (but certainly more often than I will tell you to watch the WNBA), but listen here:

Tonight's South Carolina and Iowa matchup (9:30 ET, ESPN) is going to be fun to watch if you are any kind of basketball fan. I often say women's bball isn't the same game as men's, but two players tonight transcend that.

Iowa's Caitlin Clark is a female Steph Curry. Well, she's white so maybe a female Larry Bird, since all white people love Bird, or Pistol Pete. Chick launches shots from anywhere, zero F's given. She has that swagger like Curry and Bird, let's the opponent know they can't do a damn thing about it, she talks shit. Hell of a passer too. 900 pts and 300 assists this season, that's absurd, man or woman. 40 pt triple double against Louisville in the Elite 8. Any basketball purist should enjoy watching her. I have the Big Ten Network for men's sports, but anytime the Iowa women have been on I've watched.

SC's Aliyah Boston. 6'5". Plays like a man, backs defenders down in the paint and over-powers. Two time NCAA defensive player of the year. Has like almost 90 career double doubles, average 2 and a half blocks a game. I'd liken her to Barkley, fun to watch.

A good show here to get you in the mood for tomorrow's men's games.

Old Guy Asking For Recovery Input

I fully expect this thread to get derailed but I’m genuinely asking for suggestions about athletic recovery. Especially from posters who work out a good amount but aren’t exactly Spring chickens.
I run a good amount, especially this year to prepare for some half marathons. I also bike a few days a week, which will pick back up now that the weather is warming. I’m trying to stick to a morning lifting program three days a week. Nothing crazy, but at least 30 minutes of dumbbell circuit training to work my shoulders & arms.
I have a protein intake goal I try to hit throughout the day. All that said, at my age, my focus is starting to shift more toward recovery so I can keep this up. Growing up, the focus was heat & ice. Then it seemed to have shifted to mainly ice. Now, it seems heat is making a comeback.
For those that workout a good amount, what are you doing to help with recovery? And what would you stay away from?

My liberal California Neighbor Was Jus Bitching About the People From NY and California.

Do I live in a weird universe or what. My liberal tree hugging neighbor was out by the street. I went over there and said hello thinking she was going to say something about Trump. Nope. She started bitching about the people from NY and California coming here and driving the cost up on everhthing.

I don't know what to think. It is a trap to get me to say something and then it leads to a street argument again or do you know what your husband said. Or, whatever. I was stunned.

Don't know if she is being hypocritical which is possible and likely for a lib. Or, my lessons are working. I mean this lady is a granola California tree hugger lib.

I played it close to the vest thinking this an ambush. All, I said before I left was next time we speak we need to talk about China. She said what about China. I said well, we will talk about that later. Good deal, herdman.

This has to be a damn trap.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT