ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall vs James Madison - Tale of the Tape

***Reader Warning --- If you look at JMU's numbers and think about how bad we've been offensively lately, there's a chance you may experience vertigo or some kind of nausea. This is not directly linked to the Class Action Lawsuit involving the Camp Lejeune Water Contamination from 1953-1987.***

If JMU has any kind of "soft underbelly", it's the secondary. They're able to cover that up a bit with a very strong front 4 rotation (3 sacks per game tied for 14th in the country --- ODU is actually #1 overall with 4.17 per game). They're also averaging 9 tackles for loss per game. Georgia Southern was able to beat them by their QB throwing for 578 yards and 4 TDs and forcing 4 turnovers. I can't see us replicating that...
I have to admit, on paper, this looks really really really bad for us on Saturday.

[COLOR=%s]Marshall (3-3)[/COLOR][COLOR=%s]James Madison (5-1)[/COLOR]
PPG26.7 (83rd)43.2 (6th)
Points Allowed17.33 (17th)20.0 (27th)
Total Offense399.0 (71st)519.7 (6th)
Rush Offense210.2 (21st)212.7 (18th)
Pass Offense188.8 (112th)307.0 (19th)
Offensive Pass Effic137.13 (74th)169.61 (10th)
3rd Down Offense40% (68th)44% (45th)
Total Defense290.7 (13th)287.8 (11th)
Rush Defense77.3 (2nd)36.2 (1st)
Pass Defense213.3 (46th)251.7 (93rd)
Defensive Pass Effic115.47 (17th)132.57 (71st)
3rd Down Defense26% (3rd)28% (9th)
Turnover Margin Per Game+0.67 (26th)+0.33 (45th)
Penalty Yards Per Game50.67 (46th)41.83 (21st)
Reactions: pdbailey

Jon Elmore

Randomly ran into Jon Elmore tonight in Miami (and I’m the fool who didn’t recognize who he was until he said we followed each other on Instagram).

He was invited to workout with the Heat for two weeks. He just finished his fourth week working out with them, which is a great sign. He’s hoping to get signed to their D League team. Quality guy representing the Herd.

Vaganification of America-Update 2022

Rememer when I started posting and warning about that years and years ago. Well, was I right or was I right? Here we are America. It is only going to get worse. I told you about all the limp wristed males in America.

Now, here is the situation. This is not natural or biological for the most part. These kids are taught this. Yes, some are gay or whatever. But, it is a small percentage. The kids are learning this from their parents. Then, it because hip and then political. It is also sick now as we have this transgender stuff and sex changes. Now they are doing that to kids. That is child abuse.

This is all playing out like I said it would. The genders are confused. Now it is political and they are trying to mainstream it.

We have a bunch of weak and sissy men and young men. And one political party is supporting and tyring to use it to their gain.
Reactions: ThunderCat98

Stubbornness

I know that we gotta look in the portal for next year, but one of my takeaways from last night is that the ball moves better with Fancher in there. Huff doesn't want to admit he made a mistake with Henry. He went with experience over mobility and athleticism. He's now played somewhat in every game this year. Go with him the rest of the way. His line isn't doing him any favors and neither is his OC, but I'd take my chances.

The Emotional Hangover

Can definitely determine the outcome of a ballgame. JMU could have one similar to us earlier this year, experiencing the highs and losing a close one.

Three turnovers by their quarterback and a great performance from the Georgia Southern quarterback led to this one. If we force JMU into turning it over and just keep it simple offensively and don't shoot ourselves in the foot, it can be done. Just don't underestimate the hangover the Dukes can have going into next week.

The question is how can our staff grab a hold of the team and let them know they still have something to play for, that if they pull this out, despite what the last few weeks have looked like, you can still do something.
Reactions: ohio herd

10-9

So far things are not trending in a positive direction folks. Maybe Huff can turn things around. I suppose we all should hope for the best. If you break it down we are 7-9 against FBS teams and 3-0 against FCS. This was not a rebuild project. We cut Doc lose for not winning championships. At this rate the next coach will indeed inherit a REBUILD project I'm afraid to say.

PFF Offensive Grades: Marshall vs. UL-Lafayette

Marshall's offense again had significant struggles in a primetime Sun Belt Conference matchup, with only two players on the entire unit posting grades above 70 PFF in a 23-13 loss to Louisiana-Lafayette Wednesday evening in Huntington.

Full grade breakdowns, by position, are below:

QUARTERBACKS:

It was another major struggle for Henry Colombi throughout the contest against UL-Lafayette, as Colombi completed nine of his 13 passes but only threw for 68 yards in the contest and had a pass picked off on the opening drive of the third quarter that directly led to a Rajun' Cajuns touchdown on the ensuing UL-Lafayette drive, giving the Rajun' Cajuns the lead for good.

Cam Fancher came on in relief of Colombi in the second half and went 7-of-9 for 69 yards -- completing five of his seven passes on a nine-play, 75-yard touchdown drive that pulled Marshall within 23-13 with 6:52 to play in the fourth quarter -- but that was as close as the Herd got as Fancher fumbled the football and Louisiana-Lafayette's Courtline Flowers recovered to seal Marshall's fate.

Colombi's 43.3 overall PFF grade was, again, the lowest on the entire offensive unit. Fancher posted a much higher 65.4 in his 22 snaps on the field for the Thundering Herd.

RUNNING BACKS

From a PFF grade standpoint, the running backs outperformed every other offensive position group by a wide margin, with star running back Khalan Laborn posting the offense's highest grade at 82.1 and Ethan Payne and A.J. Turner adding in the offense's third and fourth-highest PFF grades in limited snaps at 67.9 and 65.1, respectively.

Laborn, who accounted for each of Marshall's two touchdowns on the night, ran for 126 yards on 20 carries. Nobody else who received carries ran for more than 10 yards on the night.

WIDE RECEIVERS

Because of the struggles of the aerial attack, it was another pedestrian outing for the Marshall wide receivers. Shadeed Ahmed posted a 61.3 PFF overall grade, but he had just one catch for nine yards in all. Charles Montgomery (three catches, 32 yards) and Corey Gammage (four catches, 58 yards) had low PFF grades, notching just 59.2 and 57 PFF marks, while Talik Keaton (51.6) and Jayden Harrison (49.1) struggled mightily.

TIGHT ENDS

The tight end combination of Devin Miller and Stacey Marshall, Jr. were not utilized much at all, with Miller collecting two receptions for 10 yards in the contest. Marshall wasn't targeted.

Miller and Marshall graded out at 57.5 and 57.2, respectively, but Miller did have the third-highest PFF pass blocking grade on the offense at 70.1.

OFFENSIVE LINE

As was the theme with much of the offense, the offensive line struggled as a whole, as well.

Dalton Tucker had a decent night for the Marshall O-line, grading out at a 71.4 PFF overall. His pass blocking grade of 82.6 was easily the highest mark among all players on the offense.

Outside of Tucker, Cedrice Paillant and Logan Osburn were the only other players to grade above 60 on the line, notching PFF's of 64.1 and 62.3, respectively. Paillant's pass blocking (64.9) and run blocking (63.3) grades were just so-so, as was Osburn's pass blocking (63.3) and run blocking (60.7).

Behind the duo, the remainder of the line struggled to establish footing in the trenches as Kendrick Sartor (57 PFF), Ethan Driskell (54.1 PFF) and Trent Holler (53.1 PFF) all performed below average. Only wide receivers Talik Keaton and Jayden Harrison graded before Sartor and Holler in run blocking as the pair just notched grades of 51.9 and 49.6 in that area, respectively, while Driskell graded out at just 58.1 in both pass blocking as well as run blocking.

PlayerOffensePassingPass BlockingRunning GradeRun Blocking
Khalan Laborn82.161.056.682.460.0
Dalton Tucker71.4No Grade82.6No Grade69.7
Ethan Payne67.973.274.664.660.0
A.J. Turner65.161.3No Grade63.360.0
Cedrice Paillant64.1No Grade64.9No Grade63.3
Cam Fancher63.765.4No Grade58.360.0
Logan Osburn62.3No Grade63.3No Grade60.7
Shadeed Ahmed61.360.9No GradeNo Grade60.4
Owen Porter (played FB for three snaps according to PFF)59.5No GradeNo GradeNo Grade59.0
Charles Montgomery59.262.7No GradeNo Grade52.5
Devin Miller57.556.870.1No Grade58.4
Stacey Marshall, Jr.57.253.958.2No Grade61.2
Corey Gammage57.057.2No GradeNo Grade56.3
Kendrick Sartor57.0No Grade68.0No Grade51.9
Ethan Driskell54.7No Grade58.1No Grade58.1
Trent Holler53.1No Grade65.0No Grade49.6
Talik Keaton51.653.8No Grade57.544.4
Jayden Harrison49.157.8No GradeNo Grade39.4
Henry Colombi43.345.1No Grade51.860.0

OffensePassingPass BlockingReceivingRunningRun Blocking

Cramsey

I'm not sure what to think here. Cramsey couldn't do crap with Doc. Put up decent numbers with Huff but they didn't translate into enough wins. Now I'm watching Memphis vs. Houston and his offense doesn't look too bad. But that could be expected when you have a couple of mobile qbs who can toss the ball downfield and/or can run with the ball. Oh, did I mention the opposing HC is Dana. It's now 26-13 Memphis, early 4th qtr.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT