ADVERTISEMENT

“Running/Workout” thread.

big_country90

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 9, 2007
I don’t want to hijack the biking thread, so I will start my own. Who here runs? How often and at what distances? How many years have you ran?

If you know me, you know I’m not small. I come from a long line of big men, so I find running and lifting weights are great ways to keep my overall health in check. I lift weights and run at least five days/week.

My routine is to run 3.1 miles in the morning (specifically so I can say that I run a 5k per day), lift weights, go to work, then do the same thing again in the evening. I usually run at least 2 more miles and then lift again. The last few weeks, the bank has many of us working from home, so I have found myself running more since I can lift less (I have a little bit of equipment at home but not much). So the last few weeks I have still been running the 3.1 miles every morning (taking only Sunday off), and then running 3-4 more miles in the evenings. I have also added pushups to my routine, mainly out of necessity, and have found it to be extremely helpful. I can feel a tremendous difference simply by doing pushups. I’m currently up to about 6.5 to 7 miles running per day, and I continue to try to push myself to do more.

What are your routines? I’m interested in hearing what works for you, and how you’re adjusting during this time of social distancing.

The most I run nowadays is 2.5 miles...and I hate it. My knees are trashed for days afterwards and takes about a week to he able to move without pain. I despise running.

I'm lucky. I built a gym in a spare bedroom a few years ago. I have a rogue rack, bar, curling bar, 5-55 dumbbells, kettle bells, elastic bands and some other odd and ends.

If body weight is a major part of your workouts you can do alternate styles of pushups - place one hand on a small medicine ball or something solid, that'll make one side work harder than the other, then switch it up. Do a pushup, and on the down position lift your hands off the ground, extend them out, bring back in and lift your body...that'll smoke you pretty fast. Lift you ass up and turn your body into a V, lower your upper body, arch your back and bring your head up like a swimmer coming out of the water. That ones hard to explain. Burpees are good, walking lunges, box jumps or single leg lifts onto a box. Have a set of bands delivered, tons of workouts you can do with them. For abs-crunches obviously, elbow to opposite knee crunches, flutter kick, leg lifts and windshield wipers.

Last edited:
Or you could watch Rocky 4 and mimic the workouts he was forced to create without proper equipment. Then, you can use the montage music as motivation.

Working out will kill you. Just steal one of rifles 800 selfies he's posted on here, and use that as your dating profile pic. But, make sure you let them know the sex if free, just in case some may recognize the cvnt burglars mug.

get up, grab a water and sit in my underwear in front of the tv (it's off) for 5 or 10 and wake up. go take a shit, jump in the shower, walking the entire distance. walk to my vehicle, drive to the country store on the way to work. walk in the store and order either a chip beef gravy and biscuit or a sec sammy with may and tomato, walk back to the truck and drive to work. walk in the office, up the stairs. at that point, my fingers and wrist get a workout browsing herdnation and other websites. rest of the day isn't much different.

i quit working out about 4 years ago. i do miss it at times but every time i start to miss it and start thinking about getting back into it, the sciatic nerve comes back to life and i think about contacting @countryroads89 to see who his doctor is. screw that.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Get the best workout when I run. These days - mostly limit the runs to the treadmill - easier on the knees and back. Will alternate with elliptical or bike.

Working out will kill you. Just steal one of rifles 800 selfies he's posted on here, and use that as your dating profile pic. But, make sure you let them know the sex if free, just in case some may recognize the cvnt burglars mug.

How about trying to keep your obsession from derailing this thread? I know it's tough, but if you go back to pretending like you're drunk while posting, it may help.

I've never been a big runner because it bores me. When living on the beach, I would do anywhere from 3-6 miles each day, but it was never more than 2 miles at a time of running. The most I have ever ran at once was 3.2 miles, and I only did that for a couple of weeks to reach a goal of running a 5K in under 19 minutes.

Not only is running boring to me, but a long of long distance running isn't good for aesthetics for muscle building and definition. Running shorter distances with bursts of high intensity is good for reducing body fat, but these guys doing half-marathons and marathons actually destroy muscle.

I think the most impactful cardio is doing a mix. If you're just biking or just running or just doing the elliptical you can see results, but if you mix in a few different cardio exercises, you'll see a lot better and faster results.

Last week, I was able to use a hotel gym. This week, I am stuck using a 10 lbs. weight. Two days ago, I did arms with just a 10 lbs. weight. I was surprised the following two mornings about the level of soreness that I had. Usually, I hammer curl 75 lbs. dumbbells, curl 50 lbs. - 60 lbs dumbbells., overhead press 90 lbs., and do tricep kickbacks with 35 lbs dumbbells, so using just a 10 lbs. dumbbell is a huge difference. I greatly increased my reps, but the 10 lbs. still had a good impact on me.

The thing I'll lose a lot in is chest. I only use weights for chest every two weeks. The alternate chest week is all bodyweight stuff (pushups of all assortments) and some cables. But I haven't been able to bench or use dumbbells for chest for about three weeks now, so I am sure I will say a reduction over the next couple of months.

Today, I biked 11.5 miles on my indoor bike, which I maintain is still the best cardio I've ever had. I'll end up going for a 6-10 mile real bike up a mountain today which is also an ass kicker.

I want to start doing more pilates, and I know there are a bunch of good classes on YouTube, so I plan on starting to do that a couple of times per week.

How about trying to keep your obsession from derailing this thread? I know it's tough, but if you go back to pretending like you're drunk while posting, it may help.

I've never been a big runner because it bores me. When living on the beach, I would do anywhere from 3-6 miles each day, but it was never more than 2 miles at a time of running. The most I have ever ran at once was 3.2 miles, and I only did that for a couple of weeks to reach a goal of running a 5K in under 19 minutes.

Not only is running boring to me, but a long of long distance running isn't good for aesthetics for muscle building and definition. Running shorter distances with bursts of high intensity is good for reducing body fat, but these guys doing half-marathons and marathons actually destroy muscle.

I think the most impactful cardio is doing a mix. If you're just biking or just running or just doing the elliptical you can see results, but if you mix in a few different cardio exercises, you'll see a lot better and faster results.

Last week, I was able to use a hotel gym. This week, I am stuck using a 10 lbs. weight. Two days ago, I did arms with just a 10 lbs. weight. I was surprised the following two mornings about the level of soreness that I had. Usually, I hammer curl 75 lbs. dumbbells, curl 50 lbs. - 60 lbs dumbbells., overhead press 90 lbs., and do tricep kickbacks with 35 lbs dumbbells, so using just a 10 lbs. dumbbell is a huge difference. I greatly increased my reps, but the 10 lbs. still had a good impact on me.

The thing I'll lose a lot in is chest. I only use weights for chest every two weeks. The alternate chest week is all bodyweight stuff (pushups of all assortments) and some cables. But I haven't been able to bench or use dumbbells for chest for about three weeks now, so I am sure I will say a reduction over the next couple of months.

Today, I biked 11.5 miles on my indoor bike, which I maintain is still the best cardio I've ever had. I'll end up going for a 6-10 mile real bike up a mountain today which is also an ass kicker.

I want to start doing more pilates, and I know there are a bunch of good classes on YouTube, so I plan on starting to do that a couple of times per week.
What brand is that bike you use again?

What brand is that bike you use again?

https://expresso.com/Learn/Experience/Upright

New bikes of their most recent model are $6500+. Don’t do that until you really get hooked on them.

There is a place that sells refurbished ones for $1500. You can even ask what gym they came from to help determine how much they were used.

Gyms that have these bikes have them being used hours upon hours each day, and they last many years. They will last much longer in an individual’s house who won’t be having them used all day like at a gym.

It’s not just a normal bike. Their website and your bike keep track of your ride history for each course, show you the times/name/age range/gym of everyone around the world who has biked that particular course, etc. So you can see where your time for that trail ranks out of the thousands of others who have done it, their ages, locations, etc. It’s not only a way to keep track of your calories and times but also a way to build competition among yourself and others.

While on the course, the screen shows your current and average MPH, watts, calories, time, miles left, the elevation grade, etc.

Like riding a real bike, changes in elevation of the trail will require you to pedal harder or easier. Changing gears helps. Nothing at a gym has ever made me sweat as much as this thing or made me feel like my heart was going to come out of my chest.

Reactions: Chevy1
https://expresso.com/Learn/Experience/Upright

New bikes of their most recent model are $6500+. Don’t do that until you really get hooked on them.

There is a place that sells refurbished ones for $1500. You can even ask what gym they came from to help determine how much they were used.

Gyms that have these bikes have them being used hours upon hours each day, and they last many years. They will last much longer in an individual’s house who won’t be having them used all day like at a gym.

It’s not just a normal bike. Their website and your bike keep track of your ride history for each course, show you the times/name/age range/gym of everyone around the world who has biked that particular course, etc. So you can see where your time for that trail ranks out of the thousands of others who have done it, their ages, locations, etc. It’s not only a way to keep track of your calories and times but also a way to build competition among yourself and others.

While on the course, the screen shows your current and average MPH, watts, calories, time, miles left, the elevation grade, etc.

Like riding a real bike, changes in elevation of the trail will require you to pedal harder or easier. Changing gears helps. Nothing at a gym has ever made me sweat as much as this thing or made me feel like my heart was going to come out of my chest.
Thanks

As with everything, there are classes on YouTube for bikes. I subscribed to streaming classes from Studio Sweat On Demand. It's a nice little gym out of Santa Diego. It'll walk you through all the change ups you can do during a workout, which is a great learning tool for a beginner. I cancelled my subscription because I downloaded all the workouts I like and there are many already on YouTube. They also offer TRX classes, which big country, and others, might like for home workouts.

Right now they're offering a 50% discount and have a sale on bikes ($1500, which is a bit steep if you're just starting out).

https://www.studiosweat.com/

Reactions: Chevy1
QALO - a friend was one of the first employees/execs, and they recently were acquired for a nine figures amount.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT