ADVERTISEMENT

5 Reasons why Marshall will be better without James Kelly

While I agree with the points made, the title seems to imply that we'll be better because Kelly is gone.

If we are better, it will be because of added parts and development of the parts who were not able to contribute much this season. It doesn't have much to do with Kelly, but I understand the intent of this is to say that Marshall will be ok next season without their 1st team CUSA player.

as far as W-L record..having Elmore the entire yr will be a great equalizer.

Absolutely, in my opinion we win at least 3 of those first six if Elmore were able to play from game 1. Then you're looking at a 20-13 season instead of a 17-16 year and it looks much better.

Reactions: tradebait
Its just hard to imagine that we're not going to miss a beat. Kelly was a huge get, and a major reason why this year went the way it did. He was the best player on our team, so to say we'll be fine without him is overly hopeful at best, naive at worst.

And I have to admit some misgivings when I look at all the warmups on our bench, kids with scholarships who were never meant to play in Division I, that we gave scholarships to and just whiffed on. For every James Kelly, there's a three Serbs that can't even dribble. Hopefully D'Antoni's recruiting average is on the upswing.

There will be some missed beats, and replacing Kelly's production isn't gonna be a one man job. But, I do think that we can make up for the bulk of it through the development of players like Thompson and Taylor.

I've heard the rumors of well.. But, I'm not willing to count on that just yet. Gotten my hopes up too many times haha

Does anyone else believe that the returning roster, i.e., non-seniors, will not be intact, the same, in 2016-17? Danny can be sentimental and have feelings for those who have helped him get his Herd coaching career off to a positive start in the first 2 seasons. But he also has to be a REALIST if he is to have a fighting chance to achieve his stated goals: conference championships, NCAA tourney appearances, etc., etc. We cannot expect to make significant gains in won loss record and get closer to Coach's goals by having too many roster players, and not just walk-ons, not being able to CONTRIBUTE positively and significantly in GAME situations!! We can't just have bodies filling up spaces on the bench, and nothing more!!

This is a BUSINESS, bottom line!! Coaches are fired every year for their WON-LOSS records, not for how many in-state walk-ons they keep on their squads, or their team's academic record (unless it is so bad the team faces some type of NCAA sanctions), their graduation rates, etc. Look at WVU. Every season or so, it seems, that Huggins has some underclassmen defect, quit, transfer, etc. But every year, when his team competes for conference championship, makes the NCAA tourney, etc., does the fan base worry one iota about those players who left the program early??

If MU needs a scholarship, or scholarships, to improve the program by bringing in a quality grad transfer, etc., then a deletion or deletions are certainly warranted to necessitate the "addition(s)". After all, these scholarships are a yearly grant for a reason!!

And I have to admit some misgivings when I look at all the warmups on our bench, kids with scholarships who were never meant to play in Division I, that we gave scholarships to and just whiffed on. For every James Kelly, there's a three Serbs that can't even dribble. Hopefully D'Antoni's recruiting average is on the upswing.

Agree wholeheartedly. The Serbs have no game whatsoever. Hopefully DD has confiscated Coach Rigot's passport.

Agree wholeheartedly. The Serbs have no game whatsoever. Hopefully DD has confiscated Coach Rigot's passport.
Danny loves Milan's work ethic a lot. He also thinks when Penava gains some bulk and strength he will be a big asset. He loves his outside shooting for a 6'10' inch player.

Danny loves Milan's work ethic a lot. He also thinks when Penava gains some bulk and strength he will be a big asset. He loves his outside shooting for a 6'10' inch player.
Sorry, but Milan is abysmally slow, and can't see where work ethic will improve his "slowness" that much. Other foreign players may have had impressive shots when playing against other, less athletic European players, but both seem slow, lack quickness, foot speed, and strength to effectively play against American athletes night after night. Off season conditioning may determine if these 2 frosh are to play much next season, or ever, at MU!!

One could theorize and speculate that Marshall improves without Kelly. That said , I'd say , THANK YOU James Kelly, you were a jewel that helped revive Marshsll hoops, and we wish you well.

DD hit the ground running talking about Euros/Serbs and hired Rigot to do just that. As I understand it, could be another one coming...now some of the ones here may leave but we may have a new one just for you. :)

DD hit the ground running talking about Euros/Serbs and hired Rigot to do just that. As I understand it, could be another one coming...now some of the ones here may leave but we may have a new one just for you. :)
If the one comes that I believe you are talking about, he will only be here 1 year as a graduate transfer. He is a dandy!

don't care where he was born if he can rebound, play a little D and score double digits. That on top of Bledsoe, Thompson and Taylor would be promising.

I think a number of players realize that they may or may not be 4 year scholarship players, it seems to go with the territory when programs are rebuilding. No one who is non scholarship now won't benefit by having had it; nor will our program not be enhanced by having provided it. The realm of understanding, possibilities and personal growth provided each player on this team by the mix of cultures, homelands, attitudes and approaches HAS TO BE a fantastic experience for them all.

And if anyone has to go elsewhere, they're going to be better players for having been a member of this team. I'm feeling good about it all.

The eyes don't lie. Work ethic and bulking up aside, what I saw in the Euros was no ability to compete at a D1 level and it wasn't just one aspect of their game. DD's offense will be at its best when he has a compliment of players who can not only shoot, but offer speed and athleticism as well.

The eyes don't lie. Work ethic and bulking up aside, what I saw in the Euros was no ability to compete at a D1 level and it wasn't just one aspect of their game. DD's offense will be at its best when he has a compliment of players who can not only shoot, but offer speed and athleticism as well.

Exactly, dctherd. Well said!

If you think we won't miss Kelly you are smoking crack! We don't have a player on the bench that even comes close to him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT