ADVERTISEMENT

Any updates on hoops recruiting?

Danny agrees with you BUT it must be a big man that plays facing the basket and can shoot 35% from behind the arc.

If that's the case why did MU sign Milan, he sure didn't fit DD's style of post players when he signed at 6-9, 260-270lbs and unable to run up and down the court for three to five minutes at DD's game speed? Cook knows the speed of the American game and lost weight to be able to come in as FR in good shape. LC at 6-10 is athletic with good skills.
How can one(Milan) be ok and the other(Cook) not ok for the system. I haven't seen Milan(sp?) shoot 35% from three point range in the games he's played or even take a mid range jumper (13to17 foot jumper) and he will entering his jr. year this coming season. And with it being his jr. season I sure hope he has learned to shoot the three and helps make up for some of Kelly's production this past season. I guess we got fired up about maybe getting SJ and when that fell thru we were hoping to still get a quality big ready to step in like Kelly. DD has done great job in turning the program in two years so he's doing the job therefore he's doing something right in recruiting. And the three FR he's signed this year has a lot of us excited about them hitting the court for The Herd.
GO HERD!!!

If that's the case why did MU sign Milan, he sure didn't fit DD's style of post players when he signed at 6-9, 260-270lbs and unable to run up and down the court for three to five minutes at DD's game speed? Cook knows the speed of the American game and lost weight to be able to come in as FR in good shape. LC at 6-10 is athletic with good skills.
How can one(Milan) be ok and the other(Cook) not ok for the system. I haven't seen Milan(sp?) shoot 35% from three point range in the games he's played or even take a mid range jumper (13to17 foot jumper) and he will entering his jr. year this coming season. And with it being his jr. season I sure hope he has learned to shoot the three and helps make up for some of Kelly's production this past season. I guess we got fired up about maybe getting SJ and when that fell thru we were hoping to still get a quality big ready to step in like Kelly. DD has done great job in turning the program in two years so he's doing the job therefore he's doing something right in recruiting. And the three FR he's signed this year has a lot of us excited about them hitting the court for The Herd.
GO HERD!!!
It does seem some of DD's current players are not a fit for his system

System has flaws. Calls for big slow white dudes,,lol only kidding but Dan has done little to improve for next year. If im wrong tell me why

System has flaws. Calls for big slow white dudes,,lol only kidding but Dan has done little to improve for next year. If im wrong tell me why
The players he is bringing in fit the system. The current players are a year older and more comfortable with the system. We will be better next year.

Mijovic doesn't fit. Never has, never will. But there is a need for a banger. Doesn't fit the system, but we need that guy every now & then. Trading Mijovic for Cook would have been a great trade for us, but I think DD is too loyal.

Mijovic doesn't fit. Never has, never will. But there is a need for a banger. Doesn't fit the system, but we need that guy every now & then. Trading Mijovic for Cook would have been a great trade for us, but I think DD is too loyal.

in terms of physical skills yeah probably would've been a great trade, here's the thing though, milan works harder than anyone on the team, milan does exactly what is expected of him by the coaches every single time he steps on the floor. cook's reputation, whether 100% accurate or not, is he's not those things at all, he's lazy, he's whatever. when you're really thinking about the 13th scholarship, the 13th guy on the bench, a guy that has completely bought into the coaches, their system, the team, and willing to do whatever he can to help, however little that is, is much more valuable than a project like cook.

i
The players he is bringing in fit the system. The current players are a year older and more comfortable with the system. We will be better next year.[/Q No impact players coming in. Im referring to instant help. It all comes down to our current players getting better and we have to replace some good players. 18-14 next year?

in terms of physical skills yeah probably would've been a great trade, here's the thing though, milan works harder than anyone on the team, milan does exactly what is expected of him by the coaches every single time he steps on the floor. cook's reputation, whether 100% accurate or not, is he's not those things at all, he's lazy, he's whatever. when you're really thinking about the 13th scholarship, the 13th guy on the bench, a guy that has completely bought into the coaches, their system, the team, and willing to do whatever he can to help, however little that is, is much more valuable than a project like cook.
No argument from me on that. I agree.

Cook has a hell of a lot more potential, but due to him not fitting in our style of play, Cook would get minutes more comparable to what Minovic got off the bench last year, not what Thompson got. Would Cook fulfill that role and still work his butt off? I doubt it. Ceiling much higher, Cook is talented. But Cook's potential probably wouldn't be fulfilled at Marshall.

No argument from me on that. I agree.

Cook has a hell of a lot more potential, but due to him not fitting in our style of play, Cook would get minutes more comparable to what Minovic got off the bench last year, not what Thompson got. Would Cook fulfill that role and still work his butt off? I doubt it. Ceiling much higher, Cook is talented. But Cook's potential probably wouldn't be fulfilled at Marshall.

How do you know about ANY of what you said

Here is what I know.... Last year was one of the most enjoyable seasons I have had watching Marshall basketball. The players liked each other, got much better as the year went on, and were good kids. In the past we have brought great athletes in, but were (at sometimes) miserable to watch on the floor and had off court issues. Based on Herrion's teams performance on and off the court and what Danny's have done in a short time, I think I'll trust him over the experts on this board and Chuck Landon. .

How do you know about ANY of what you said
I don't know for certain, but I know that Cook would fill the role of an inside presence (MUCH BETTER than Mijovic plays that role) with no outside game. Dan would have to change the way we play to facilitate that kind of talent for Cook to play a lot of minutes. He would most likely be asked to play that role in spot situations when it's needed and not in the general flow of how we play.

I just don't see us slowing down the pace and playing with a lane clogger on the floor offensively for long periods of time.

Last edited:
We are going into next season with no Inside Presence inside or Outside.

Cook should have been a gamble we should have taken. If we can take a gamble on some slow footed Europeans who gets knocked over when a breeze blows, then we should have taken that chance on Cook

We are going into next season with no Inside Presence inside or Outside.

Cook should have been a gamble we should have taken. If we can take a gamble on some slow footed Europeans who gets knocked over when a breeze blows, then we should have taken that chance on Cook
No argument there as far as taking a chance, but we do have a great outside presence. Not sure what you're seeing there.

Cook would have been nice, but I doubt he would be a big difference maker for us next season. He would be a developmental guy in our system.

Reactions: herdit44
If Cook is a developmental guy then we must have straight trash at the end of the bench now because he is much better than what we got.

And I meant no Inside presence on Offense or Defense, sorry about that.

If Cook is a developmental guy then we must have straight trash at the end of the bench now because he is much better than what we got.

And I meant no Inside presence on Offense or Defense, sorry about that.
Cook is developmental in our system because we rely on spreading the floor & drawing the opposing big men away from the paint. Cook would have to develop at least a decent mid range game, which is doable, but takes time.

ODU's coach talked in the post game how it was 5-on-4 when we played them the last time. Taylor was able to cheat and help on Freeman because we had no respect for their PF to score. If Cook played in our system it would be the same way. He would go out to spread the floor and his defender would keep his feet in the paint. It would be a game of 5-on-4 and our offense would break down.

After reading the article in the Gazette, I can see why Dan just didn't get a good vibe on Levi.

I wish the young man the best of luck but I think it just wasn't a fit at Marshall.

I'm excited about the players we have coming for 2016 and I'm looking forward to good things on the horizon.

Here is what I know.... Last year was one of the most enjoyable seasons I have had watching Marshall basketball. The players liked each other, got much better as the year went on, and were good kids. In the past we have brought great athletes in, but were (at sometimes) miserable to watch on the floor and had off court issues. Based on Herrion's teams performance on and off the court and what Danny's have done in a short time, I think I'll trust him over the experts on this board and Chuck Landon. .
Me too,,I had fun but 17-15 is typical for the herd. Take a chance on skilled players. Im sick of ,,Oh he cant come to marshall he wont fit in. Alot of people fit in on a 17-15 team. I m sick of average. Well anyway I shall go to the cam for every game and root hard and bitch on here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT