ADVERTISEMENT

ASN

dshoe says on another post:

"While this story is being reported everywhere, it isn't exactly accurate.......

ASN isn't going off the air and it isn't disappearing, in fact, look for it to add up to 10 million homes rather quickly and add an OTT app.....

Sinclair is NOT putting it out of business or selling it, it is however about to take in a partner to manage the network.....I've been a consultant to ASN for two years and the management team has been the singular problem in the network being successful.....the operations will move, management team wil be gone and replaced by a new team that will be chosen by the managing partner, but Sinclair will still be the major or at least a major player in the Network.....this should be seen as a solid opportunity for the rights owners that currently have contracts with ASN....... while this may not be the best solution for ASN, it is a giant step in the right direction.

This and other articles are premature and mostly inaccurate (but have some facts correct)...... no deal is as yet final, but one should be finalized soon."

CUSA NEEDS ESPN.....

Sweeney (HerdZilla22) in Charlotte

they have it to a small degree...........schools are allowed to provide their games to ESPN3 if they can meet ESPN3's broadcast specs...........several schools did so this year. MU couldn't meet the specs, but they are moving in that direction.

Moving ? What is the cost and time to do such a move ?
Sinclair is NOT putting it out of business or selling it, it is however about to take in a partner to manage the network.....I've been a consultant to ASN for two years and the management team has been the singular problem in the network being successful.....the operations will move, management team wil be gone and replaced by a new team that will be chosen by the managing partner, but Sinclair will still be the major or at least a major player in the Network.....this should be seen as a solid opportunity for the rights owners that currently have contracts with ASN....... while this may not be the best solution for ASN, it is a giant step in the right direction.

This and other articles are premature and mostly inaccurate (but have some facts correct)...... no deal is as yet final, but one should be finalized soon."

In every problem there is an opportunity. Our CUSA commish should be in contact with Sinclair now. As Dan said the reports are inaccurate, so it will stay alive in some form. IF one looks at ESPN losing 3 million viewers per year vs. this model where cord cutters could have an OTA sports channel it's a tremendous opportunity to grasp that tide. I've scratched my head at the bear bones approach by ASN but with a company like Sinclair taking ownership it now may have the power to negotiate a larger piece of the sports pie. Why not become an old TBS, like Ted used the Braves to build an empire with a so so team? Americans like to watch sports but a free OTA sports channel picking up a MLB or NFL game here or there could really give this network of OTA stations teeth in the market.

Thoughts Dan?

Reactions: Elkview
CUSA NEEDS ESPN....

But ESPN does not need CUSA. ESPN is bleeding subscribers and just announced yet more staff cuts, these to the "talent" (sic) as outlined in another thread. ESPN does need another conference of very limited appeal at whatever the price. It has sufficient.

The fact is Fox Sports does not need CUSA either. It just pulled the plug on its sad sports center clone and sent its "talent' (sic) back to the Great White North.

The question is does NBC Sports, CBS Sports or BeIN need, or at least want, CUSA.

I realize that everybody wants to sit in their recliner and watch every MU game in HD. That is not reality. Look at the "crowd" at the CUSA tournament. That is what CUSA is. This league has limited appeal.

I have said it before, but, at least in football, MU has about 75% of the total CUSA fanbase, and the other teams share the remaining 25%. Many of these schools could go 12-0 and not draw to the conference championship.

Ummm, looks like ASN is shutting down afterall.....

Yep. They fired everyone in the building.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2017/3/10/more-sacked-at-sinclair

Let's review. Sinclair, which is the worst TV station chain there is, owns local stations in mostly mid-sized markets, including WCHS and WVAH. When the government went to HDTV, stations can split their signals and show a "sub-channel" in SD. Dozens of these "netlets" sprang up, most are just old rerun channels. You can, if you live in the right place, get quite a bit of TV for free with an antenna.

Sinclair launched this ASN as one of its sub-channels. It is 11.2 here. You can put up an antenna and get it, and about 20 channels, just for free. More importantly, most cable systems were forced to carry these "netlets" in order to get permission to carry WCHS and WVAH. But just as significantly, DirecTV and DISH did not carry these.

It also syndicated individual games in towns where Sinclair did not own a station. Either to other TV stations or to the regional sports networks, which is why we get these "the game is on channel 694 on DirecTV" posts.

It just did not work. I never watched a thing on the channel that did not involve MU. Here is a list of the stuff they had:

http://americansportsnet.com/conferences

It was just infomercials, reruns over and over of past games, and games no one but the fans of that team cared about. It just did not work.

So apparently they are going to toss the thing to this campus-insiders. That is a website. A website you pay for. A website you pay for which you have to have KILLLER internet for it to work.

The unanswered question is does Sinclair intend to give away the material via the "netlet" or just GTFO and let campus-insiders sell it, recycling 11.2 and its sisters across the country as yet another rerun channel?

It is reported that ASN's CUSA contract runs out this year anyway.

My money is on a larger BeIn deal.

BeIn Sports is the future - why do people think Facebook is spending billions on new ultra high-speed communications infrastructure, if not to push transition to more live streaming like BeIn is doing?

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
The Sinclair company has announced more details on ASN's future. The network has been limping along with reruns of old games since the first of the month, and will apparently continue that way for a while. The website is not being updated.

The ASN brand name is going away. New name not yet announced. It will be a "multiscreen" venture. Meaning some material will be free on fulltime "sub-channels" such as 11.2 here. Some material will be syndicated to TV stations or shown on RSN. This is just as ASN was before.

But here is the new part. Sinclair is adding two partners. Campus Insiders and 120 Sports. CI is a (mostly) pay website that produces and shows games. 120 Sports is a (mostly) free website that produces something like what SportsCenter used to be before the empty suits at ESPN made it into a hip-hop concert.

CI will produce the game content and operate something for ASN 2.0 much like ESPN3 is for ESPN, a website with access to the game on the free TV for those who cannot get it and many more games not shown on the main channel. 120 Sports will produce the studio shows and probably something like a nightly highlights show.

CI largest stockholder is Jerry Reinsdorf who owns the White Sox and the Bulls. 120 Sports is a joint venture between MLBAM (which does baseball and hockey's apps and MLB.TV), the NHL, the PGA Tour (which has been rumored to be looking to take some of its TV rights back from the networks) and Time (publisher of Sports Illustrated) and, unlike ASN, has a license to show highlights from the major sports.

It ain't ESPN, or even Fox Sports One, but there is some serious $$ in this effort, and maybe Sinclair learned something.

CI will produce the game content and operate something for ASN 2.0 much like ESPN3 is for ESPN, a website with access to the game on the free TV for those who cannot get it and many more games not shown on the main channel. 120 Sports will produce the studio shows and probably something like a nightly highlights show.

CI largest stockholder is Jerry Reinsdorf who owns the White Sox and the Bulls. 120 Sports is a joint venture between MLBAM (which does baseball and hockey's apps and MLB.TV), the NHL, the PGA Tour (which has been rumored to be looking to take some of its TV rights back from the networks) and Time (publisher of Sports Illustrated) and, unlike ASN, has a license to show highlights from the major sports.

It ain't ESPN, or even Fox Sports One, but there is some serious $$ in this effort, and maybe Sinclair learned something.

So is it just going to be web based only ? Or will it be web based plus only OTA channels? Or web based OTA based and true cable channel might be able to get on DISH or Comcast based? Yes that guy has money , but will he do anything with it? Actually I thought ASN was a great name, but if it's going to be just college sports then a better name would be required.

The merger combines the three companies and aims to create a platform that could eventually outreach that of ESPN. While WatchESPN is currently the industry leader in sports streaming it does require a cable subscription to view. Campus Insiders was completely free to view and it’s safe to assume that trend will continue with their new merger venture. As less and less consumers opt to pay for monthly cable subscriptions the appeal of subscription-less entertainment options such as this new merger increases exponentially.

So is it just going to be web based only ? Or will it be web based plus only OTA channels? Or web based OTA based and true cable channel might be able to get on DISH or Comcast based? Yes that guy has money , but will he do anything with it? Actually I thought ASN was a great name, but if it's going to be just college sports then a better name would be required.

It will be several things.

First, it is a sub-channel in the 80 TV markets where Sinclair owns at least one station. This includes our market, where it is 11.2. You can just put up an antenna (assuming you live close enough to Scott Depot, which is where the tower is) and get it free. A 24/7/365 sports channel. SOME cable companies in these markets will carry the channel, some will not. DirecTV and DISH do not. Sinclair mostly does business in smaller markets, so the 80 TV markets only represent 30% of the population.

Second, it is a syndication service. In the 70% of the country where Sinclair does not own a station, it will try to sell individual games to other stations or regional sports networks. If it sells to a regional sports network, then that is on DirecTV and DISH, if you have a high enough package.

Third, it is a web and app based delivery of these games and many more games, available to anybody with the internet.

What is unknown, or at least has not been officially announced, is will the web and app based delivery system be fully pay, partly pay, or free? And will Sinclair and its new partners get the channel full time more cable systems and DirecTV and DISH (many of the new partners in this deal are also in other business deals with DirecTV, and DirecTV has recently been adding channels as they have uped capacity) .

My bet is that DirecTV will add the channel. Just a guess.

Second, it is a syndication service. In the 70% of the country where Sinclair does not own a station, it will try to sell individual games to other stations or regional sports networks. If it sells to a regional sports network, then that is on DirecTV and DISH, if you have a high enough package.

Interesting. I hope CUSAs commish is on this and in the mix.

My opinion JJ doesn't want his alma mater in cusa, and will get actively involved to get Marshall in a P5 lower tier conference or in the AAC. ASN 2.0 may really not matter in the long run.

Interesting. I hope CUSAs commish is on this and in the mix.

My opinion JJ doesn't want his alma mater in cusa, and will get actively involved to get Marshall in a P5 lower tier conference or in the AAC. ASN 2.0 may really not matter in the long run.
If not a BGN plant, which you very well could be. Then antipsychotics may be your drug of choice. Zyprexa comes to mind in high dosage.

If not a BGN plant, which you very well could be. Then antipsychotics may be your drug of choice. Zyprexa comes to mind in high dosage.

I know it's hard for eerbilly nation to grasp thinking of improvements for Marshall but it's why the state is 50 out of 50, and why the people voted JJ in, to change that thinking. Your dead last, think about that....

So please go back to your meth pipe, and oh kerosene is on sale in summer at Walmart to stock up for the furniture burns, pick up a yellow eerbilly shirt while your there too!

but it's why the state is 50 out of 50, and why the people voted JJ in, to change that thinking.

JJ, AKA Manchin/Justice represents not a change in thinking but the same insider democrat polticians who made the mess. If you actually believe that Manchin/Justice is any different from the previous, you are a fool.

I had to leave like so many others because of self centered thinking caused mainly by an eerbilly ruled govt.

My neices left my nephew left, I left.....we all would have liked to have stayed but because so few are served while so many others are denied one must improve their lot elsewhere.

There's a reason Marathon Oil left Ashland after it begged WV legislature to improve HTS airport , yet it was flatly denied. Conversely you need a bigger stirip to get a B12 team in, whyyyy surreee thing!

Stupid is as stupid does. 50 out of 50.

I know it's hard for eerbilly nation to grasp thinking of improvements for Marshall but it's why the state is 50 out of 50, and why the people voted JJ in, to change that thinking. Your dead last, think about that....

So please go back to your meth pipe, and oh kerosene is on sale in summer at Walmart to stock up for the furniture burns, pick up a yellow eerbilly shirt while your there too!

TGE offers keen insight into all things West Virginia from his home in Georgia. Like many who live elsewhere, he never hesitates to point out all of the state's shortcomings as he sees them. :confused:

Well, we have eerbillies, herdbillies, and your garden variety hillbilly. But one thing The Great State of Georgia has that we do not have ...and that's Squidbillies. I'll bet TGE lives a short ATV ride from Early Cuyler. Probably dated sister Lil a time or two, and shared the gas can with Early on special occasions.

Reactions: jocktalker
Why would any state that needs jobs vote down an airport expansion that would have left a 1000 jobs there? Because it was an expansion in Huntington and that would have allowed more commerce to come to Huntington. What else is in Huntington? Marshall.

Why would a state that voted down an airport expansion to save a 1000 jobs build one for a college only town ?
Eerbilly controlled legislative arm. Created zero jobs, but got the team into the Big 12. Cost? Who cares. Economic growth? Zilch.

Outcome ? 50 out of 50.

Enter JJ. Thank God.

Why would any state that needs jobs vote down an airport expansion that would have left a 1000 jobs there? Because it was an expansion in Huntington and that would have allowed more commerce to come to Huntington. What else is in Huntington? Marshall.

Why would a state that voted down an airport expansion to save a 1000 jobs build one for a college only town ?
Eerbilly controlled legislative arm. Created zero jobs, but got the team into the Big 12. Cost? Who cares. Economic growth? Zilch.

Outcome ? 50 out of 50.

Enter JJ. Thank God.

If JJ can get his road bond proposals through this recalcitrant legislature, and if state voters approve sale of said bonds, and if Trump Adm. will come through with increased federal funding, best thing JJ can do for Tri-State is to upgrade, i.e., 4 lane Tolsia hwy. from the Pritchard Intermodal site to I-64. Then Tri-State leaders, delegates, mayors, etc., need to push expansion, runway lengthening at Tri-State Airport, using some dirt, etc., from highway work as fill material at the airport.

Just hope that JJ's Democratic handlers/mentors, Joe Manchin, the Goodwin "kingmakers", and the corrupt leadership in Charleston and Kanawha County Commission, won't sway him from the above and instead pour most of WV's highway resources into Tomblin's Folly, Earl Ray's cockamamie scheme at the old Hobet strip mine site in Boone and Lincoln County area!!

Next best possible transportation project for the prospects of Huntington and entire western WV area would be to accelerate the entire expansion of I-64 from Kentucky line to Charleston. Needs to be done in next 5-10 years; next big project will be widening and new bridge in Nitro-St. Albans exchange area west towards Teays Valley to start in 2018. Huntington leaders need to monitor and make sure widening is not just completed in Kanawha and Putnam counties and then remainer of I-64 in Cabell gets ignored!!

In a word, no.

Manchin/Justice has already signed off on the ERT boondoggle road in Boone county. Already directed funds to it. Meanwhile the BUSIEST ROAD in WV, I-64 is falling apart and the "start" of the 20 year overdue closing of the accident causing gap in 64 may be next year. And, while billions have been poured into a four lane Route 10 from nowhere (Logan) to further out in nowhere (Man), is almost finished, the MOST DANGEROUS and BUSIEST 2 lane in WV, US 35 "may" be finished by 19, maybe.

As to HTS, the issue at HTS is not capacity, as the runway and other facilities are more than adequate, it is simply demand. The boondoggle "essential air service" program, which Trump wants to eliminate, subsidizes rediculious airports like Clarksburg, Beckley, Morganhole, and Parkersburg. When eliminated more people will have to show up at legitimate airports. More people = larger planes and more destinations.

Anybody who thanks God or whatever other deity they follow for Manchin/Justice has not paid any attention to anything Manchin/Justice has said or done. He is a continuation of what is wrong with WV.

Eerbilly controlled legislative arm. Created zero jobs, but got the team into the Big 12. Cost? Who cares.

The runway extension at North Central Regional Airport was in the planning stages long before WVU moved to the Big 12. It never would have happened if not for the FBI Fingerprint Division and the 3500 people that work there being located just a couple of miles away, and businesses like Bombardier, Lockheed Martin, Aurora, and Pratt Whitney which are located at the airport industrial park.

You are wrong in asserting that it was done to get WVU into the Big 12. You are also wrong saying that Bridgeport is a college only town.......the only college there is the aeronautic branch of Fairmont State.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeepers Creepers

Outcome ? 50 out of 50.

Enter JJ. Thank God.
Thanks again for sharing your analysis and options from 500 miles away in Georgia but you are dead wrong again in your assertions.

Robert C. Byrd got the funding started for the expansion at Bridgeport to accommodate the FBI Fingerprint facility in Clarksburg (that was relocated in West Virginia at his insistence). Several aerospace companies including Bombardier, Lockheed Martin, Pratt Whitney and Aurora have located and expanded employment at the airport as they service planes for the country's airline industry and Pierpont Community & Technical College has expanded course offerings to train additional workers for the country's aerospace industry.

The FBI center brought nearly 4,000 jobs to central West Virginia and continues to grow. Aerospace jobs at the airport have grown providing the state and the region with high paying skilled positions.

To claim this was done for the benefit of WVU and to hurt Huntington and Marshall is just goofy.

Btw, I think the runway at the Huntington Tri-State regional airport is the state's longest.

I believe that real growth for the Huntington area is coming but it will be boosted by the intermodal facility at Pritchard and not necessarily the airport.

The runway extension at North Central Regional Airport was in the planning stages long before WVU moved to the Big 12. It never would have happened if not for the FBI Fingerprint Division and the 3500 people that work there being located just a couple of miles away, and businesses like Bombardier, Lockheed Martin, Aurora, and Pratt Whitney which are located at the airport industrial park.

Hmmmmm. So why vote down a HTS expansion that would have saved 1000 jobs? Why? Because it's Huntington. What else is in Huntington? Marshall.

Do anything and everything you can to stop kill or destroy anything that threatens perceived eerbilly in state rule.

Result? 50th out of 50.

Thank you Eerbillys!

Hmmmmm. So why vote down a HTS expansion that would have saved 1000 jobs? Why? Because it's Huntington. What else is in Huntington? Marshall.

Do anything and everything you can to stop kill or destroy anything that threatens perceived eerbilly in state rule.

Result? 50th out of 50.

Thank you Eerbillys!

I bet you see big blue and gold spiders with the flying WV on their backs on your wall when you lay down to sleep for the night.........and when you wake up they are still there.

Last edited:
TheGreenhouseEffect, I assume you are just trying to get a rise out of people?

I mean, no one with half a brain could honestly believe the nonsense you spew out.

I bet you see big blue and gold spiders with the flying WV on their backs on your wall when you lay down to sleep for the night.........and when you wake up they are still there.
Strange things happen to the people of Doogle County Ga. TGE's ramblings are actual tame for that part of the Georgia hills. But, AM 1680 carries the Herd, it can't be all bad.

Thanks again for sharing your analysis and options from 500 miles away in Georgia but you are dead wrong again in your assertions.

Robert C. Byrd got the funding started for the expansion at Bridgeport to accommodate the FBI Fingerprint facility in Clarksburg (that was relocated in West Virginia at his insistence). Several aerospace companies including Bombardier, Lockheed Martin, Pratt Whitney and Aurora have located and expanded employment at the airport as they service planes for the country's airline industry and Pierpont Community & Technical College has expanded course offerings to train additional workers for the country's aerospace industry.

The FBI center brought nearly 4,000 jobs to central West Virginia and continues to grow. Aerospace jobs at the airport have grown providing the state and the region with high paying skilled positions.

To claim this was done for the benefit of WVU and to hurt Huntington and Marshall is just goofy.

Btw, I think the runway at the Huntington Tri-State regional airport is the state's longest.

I believe that real growth for the Huntington area is coming but it will be boosted by the intermodal facility at Pritchard and not necessarily the airport.

Yes Tri State is just a couple of feet longer than Greenbrier Valley.

Ashland Oil was leaving the Ashland/ Bellefonte area even if they made the runway 10,000 feet. That decision was made as early as 1975-76.

Reactions: Jeepers Creepers

Outcome ? 50 out of 50.

Enter JJ. Thank God.

I'll give it to you that there are a lot of stupid individuals in the legislature that are clueless on economics and use their positions to better themselves and not the state, but there is absolutely zero chance that Justice will improve anything. He is a coal guy, and is too busy coaching basketball to look at ways to entice new businesses to move to the state. He really needs to look at bring in low-skill industrial/manufacturing jobs to the state. Jobs in this area could put to work thousands of WVians that have little technical training or education, instead of them being on handouts, and increases the potential tax revenue for the state so that money can be invested in the state infrastructure and education system. Once he does that he could focus on bring in higher technical level jobs to help retain the college graduates from MU, WVU, and the other colleges in the state. The biggest problem I see is that the state infrastructure has gone to shit and doesn't provide much appeal to companies looking for a new home or expansion.

Why not give Justice a chance? It's early. He might just surprise you. I'm hoping he does well.

eastern Ky just added 550 jobs for an aluminum mfg plant, will the eerbilly legislature do anything to expand HTS to help build infrastructure? NO, unless Justice uses some of his force as a billionaire to get the votes going in the right direction.

Currently Justice inherited a state that is 50th out of 50, consider he has NO WHERE to go but up, let's give him a chance. WV needs a strong leader and he will try to get it moving again. WV is going to have to go to the right to work model, the union stronghold and excessive taxation will eventually kill it completely.

Why not give Justice a chance?

Currently Justice inherited a state that is 50th out of 50, consider he has NO WHERE to go but up, let's give him a chance. WV needs a strong leader and he will try to get it moving again. WV is going to have to go to the right to work model, the union stronghold and excessive taxation will eventually kill it completely.

Do you read? Like, while it is 100% spamite relative to sports, like metronews? The Gag-zette? The H-D? Anything?

We have given Justice and "his" ideas a chance. For 85 years. The One Party Government took over in 1932. And in 1932 WV was the average state. 26th in most social and economic measures. Your JJ-god and his masters MADE WV 50th.

Taxes too high? Your JJ-god proposes the largest tax increase in WV history, raising taxes higher than they have ever been.

Right to work? Passed, over ERT's veto. Tied up in court. New bill passed this year, your JJ-god vetoed. Overridden. Supreme Court (3 to 2 controled by the One Party Government) refused to hear the case on an expidited basis, may get around to it next fall, or maybe next spring.

Union stronghold? Who endorced your JJ-god? Let's go to the Sec. of State's website. Building and Construction Trades UNION, AFL-CIO UNION, AFSCME UNION, NEA UNION, AFT UNION, Teamsters UNION, Steelworkers UNION, UMWA UNION, all donors to your JJ-god and "his" (the Rockefailure-Manchin-Goodwin Machine's ) slate.

Noting you say you support is supported by your JJ-god. Or more importantly his handler, Manchin.

Hmmm. American Sports Network to bitching and moaning about an airport.
Once again, a conversation on Herd Nation deteriorates quickly into something completely off topic.

Anyway, back to ASN. The new name is going to be "Stadium TV". New graphics package. Will continue as an over-the-air channel (11.2 here) and will be streamed by Twitter along with a sports package including extra PGA content, NFL highlights, and an MLB game per week.

Potential big news relative to the Stadium TV channel, formerly ASN. Sinclair is buying out the Tribune Company's TV stations chain. Sinclair, as noted above, mostly has TV stations in smaller markets. Tribune has TV stations in big cities, like NYC, Chicago, LA, Sacramento, San Diego, Denver, DC, Miami, Indy, NOLA, Kansas City, St. Louis, Piedmont Triad, Cleveland, Okie City, Philly, Memphis, DFW, Houston, SLC, Seattle, and Milwaukee. If Sinclair follows its current policy, that means Stadium TV, over the air for free with an antenna, in all of those cities.

Deal will probably take a year to go through all the government crapola.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT