ADVERTISEMENT

Athlon predicts Marshall goes 5-7 (4-4)

Chris McLaughlin

Grammar Snob
Staff
Feb 14, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
marshall.rivals.com
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/conference-usa-football-2017-predictions

East Division
Rank
Team Projected C-USA Record Projected Overall Record
WKU 6-2 9-4
2 MTSU 6-2 7-5
3 Old Dominion 5-3 7-5
4 FAU 4-4 6-6
5 Marshall 4-4 5-7
6 FIU 4-4 5-7
7 Charlotte 1-7 3-9

West Division
Rank
Team Projected C-USA Record Projected Overall Record
Louisiana Tech 6-2 9-4
2 Southern Miss 5-3 7-5
3 UTSA 5-3 7-5
4 North Texas 3-5 5-7
5 Rice 3-5 3-9
6 UTEP 3-5 3-9
7 UAB 1-7 3-9

La Tech over WKU in the conference championship game.

Two of the three analysts doing the projections pick us as the hardest team to evaluate. I agree with that 100%.

Pre-season projections are worthless IMHO. How can anyone accurately predict the total W-L's for an entire season before any team has even played a game?.......but there are some who eat that stuff up.

Another reason why I contest that preseason SOS are also bullshit. They're just a prediction, nothing more.

Most of those preseason mag are written by "freelance" (which means unemployed) writers. They can talk about the top 30 or so teams, but after that they just toss in a few names they found reading the local paper or fan websites and predict the teams to do about what they did the year before. Most of these geniuses could not tell you where Marshall, or any other G5 team where the school name does not give it away, is even located.

Most of those preseason mag are written by "freelance" (which means unemployed) writers. They can talk about the top 30 or so teams, but after that they just toss in a few names they found reading the local paper or fan websites and predict the teams to do about what they did the year before. Most of these geniuses could not tell you where Marshall, or any other G5 team where the school name does not give it away, is even located.

are you ever right about anything?

7OIt3Y7.png

VNMVAe6.png

So he lives in his mom's basement and has a web profile. I could say I was an heir to the Romanian throne on my facebook profile, so what? The fact that his ONLY "job" is writing for an obscure website/magazine proves my point.

Actually, many times they are written by a beat writer for a team in the league or from a reputable writer in the area of the conference location geographically. Yes, they may be freelance but they are usually employed by a newspaper somewhere.
When I was a writer many years ago, our associate sports editor did conference pre-saeson stories for Street and Smith. Back in the day that was THE bible of pre-season magazines both football and basketball.

Reactions: ohio herd
So he lives in his mom's basement and has a web profile. I could say I was an heir to the Romanian throne on my facebook profile, so what? The fact that his ONLY "job" is writing for an obscure website/magazine proves my point.
Since you're obviously smarter than him, how would you rank the teams, genius? I'm guessing you're up on C-USA football, and have a decent idea as to where each team is located. You rank them by record, and then we can see who did a better job, YOU (the genius), or the guy that does this for a living.

Reactions: Ninegate
I would say that 8-4 is realistic, but that all depends on line play (both sides of the ball)... 5-7 should be the worst case scenario... My personal prediction is 7-5 (5-3 in CUSA).

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT